(LSJ) Contest of an ally won

floppyzedolfin

Dec 10, 2010, 8:31:59 AM12/10/10

Suppose my prey controls the mighty Ossian (unique ally). I recruit
Ossian.
During my prey's untap phase, she yields the Ossian contest.
During my next untap phase, my copy of Ossian is untapped and turned
face up.

But where is my copy of Ossian:
a) In my uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to
indicate that it cannot act this turn, where it was placed when
recruited ?
b) In my ready region, where it would've been put had it been in play
at the end of the turn of a player?

Thanks,
Pascal

~~

Ossian
Cardtype: Ally
Cost: 3 pool
Unique werewolf with 4 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
Ossian may enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
requires Auspex [aus] during this action, that vampire cannot use any
maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round for
each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
destruction that round.

LSJ

Dec 10, 2010, 3:37:08 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 8:31 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose my prey controls the mighty Ossian (unique ally). I recruit
> Ossian.
> During my prey's untap phase, she yields the Ossian contest.
> During my next untap phase, my copy of Ossian is untapped and turned
> face up.
>
> But where is my copy of Ossian:
> a) In my uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to
> indicate that it cannot act this turn, where it was placed when
> recruited ?
> b) In my ready region, where it would've been put had it been in play
> at the end of the turn of a player?

a)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7292991a61b540db

salem

Dec 10, 2010, 5:01:34 PM12/10/10
LSJ wrote:

any progress on this part of your post: "This should probably be changed,
since it is highly unintuitive -- perhaps in the next rulebook."?

Because I agree with you, it's very unintuitive.

I can't actually remember the last time someone around here had contested a
unique ally, so I can't say it had ever come up, but if it had, we'd have
gone with b) for sure, not knowing otherwise.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

LSJ

Dec 10, 2010, 5:43:20 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 5:01 pm, salem <kella...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 8:31 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Suppose my prey controls the mighty Ossian (unique ally). I recruit
> >> Ossian.
> >> During my prey's untap phase, she yields the Ossian contest.
> >> During my next untap phase, my copy of Ossian is untapped and turned
> >> face up.
>
> >> But where is my copy of Ossian:
> >> a) In my uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to
> >> indicate that it cannot act this turn, where it was placed when
> >> recruited ?
> >> b) In my ready region, where it would've been put had it been in play
> >> at the end of the turn of a player?
>
> > a)
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-
>
> cards.jyhad/msg/7292991a61b540db
>
> any progress on this part of your post: "This should probably be changed,
> since it is highly unintuitive -- perhaps in the next rulebook."?

No. After I found that post, I went and checked to see if the rulebook
had been updated. It still agrees with the ruling (a).

> Because I agree with you, it's very unintuitive.
>
> I can't actually remember the last time someone around here had contested a
> unique ally, so I can't say it had ever come up, but if it had, we'd have
> gone with b) for sure, not knowing otherwise.

Yeah. That may be why the rulebook didn't change. Or maybe it just
slipped unnoticed off the list.

XZealot

Dec 10, 2010, 5:56:06 PM12/10/10

I see Carlton get contested alot

ira...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2010, 8:23:42 PM12/10/10

But Carlton doesn't act very often, so it's mostly moot.

Ira

floppyzedolfin

Dec 10, 2010, 8:29:26 PM12/10/10

Yup, that was exactly what happened during the EC Day 1 (I think it
was Day1.. might've been LCQ) final.
Carlton got contested, but thankfully, there was no reason to
highlight this ruling, since he didn't play Computer Hacking on the
next turn.

Robert Scythe

Dec 13, 2010, 3:02:23 AM12/13/10
On Dec 10, 5:23 pm, "ira...@gmail.com" <ira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I see Carlton get contested alot
>
> But Carlton doesn't act very often, so it's mostly moot.

Yes, but Mylan gets contested quite a bit and always acts when
possible. This has come up before but it was always assumed
(incorrectly, apparently) that he could act immediately.

Teeka

Dec 13, 2010, 10:53:07 AM12/13/10
On 10 dec, 23:43, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > any progress on this part of your post: "This should probably be changed,
> > since it is highly unintuitive -- perhaps in the next rulebook."?
>
> No. After I found that post, I went and checked to see if the rulebook
> had been updated. It still agrees with the ruling (a).
>
> > Because I agree with you, it's very unintuitive.
>
> > I can't actually remember the last time someone around here had contested a
> > unique ally, so I can't say it had ever come up, but if it had, we'd have
> > gone with b) for sure, not knowing otherwise.
>
> Yeah. That may be why the rulebook didn't change. Or maybe it just
> slipped unnoticed off the list.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I don't get why you both find this 'very unintuitive'. I actually find
it way more intuitive that an ally, or any unique card, gets
'suspended in time' during contest (as it is not actually in play). So
that after contest is won and we proceed as normal, it's still in the
very spot it was when it went out of play, wherever that was.

Like, if the card is not "an ally in play" during contest, why should
the 3rd part of 6.1.5, or any other rules for allies in play, apply to
it? A contested ally doesn't get burned by Kindred Segregation either,
right?

Oh and LSJ, loved your use of "excuse mode" :-)))

Robert Scythe

Dec 13, 2010, 8:59:16 PM12/13/10
On Dec 10, 5:23 pm, "ira...@gmail.com" <ira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah. That may be why the rulebook didn't change. Or maybe it just
> > > slipped unnoticed off the list.
>
> > I see Carlton get contested alot
>
> But Carlton doesn't act very often, so it's mostly moot.

Another important factor is that when Carlton comes out he cannot
block on that turn either (Madness Network/Enkil Cog actions) due to
being controlled but not ready.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0e7774c1516bbd15?hl=en

Wedge

Dec 13, 2010, 10:34:57 PM12/13/10

Does this apply to the Imbued as well or are they still Immuned.

The Lasombra

Dec 13, 2010, 11:12:28 PM12/13/10
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:34:57 -0800 (PST), Wedge wrote:

>Does this apply to the Imbued as well or are they still Immuned.

It does not apply to the Imbued.
Imbued are never recruited, so they are never in the uncontrolled but
ready state. If they are controlled and uncontested, and not in the
torpor region, AKA the hospital, then they can act the turn they
return from being contested.

floppyzedolfin

Dec 14, 2010, 3:29:51 AM12/14/10

And, if someone contests an Imbued you control in your incapacited
area and she yields, your Imbued comes back untapped, in your
incapacited area in your untap phase (you can them a Conviction, and
bring them out).

Robert Scythe

Dec 14, 2010, 6:05:05 AM12/14/10

Not a completely true statement since they can be Heaven's Gated and
find themselves in that controlled but not ready state and be
contested. More of an extremely cornercase situation but a possibility
contrary to the blanket answer given.