TWD Portuguese ECQ 13/03/2010

squidalot

Mar 21, 2010, 10:58:43 AM3/21/10

Portuguese European Qualifier (3r + final)
Location: IST - Lisboa (classroom C11),
Portugal
Saturday 13th March 2010
Number of players: 17

Deck: Dominating the Shadows with 3 GW 10 vps (including 1 GW 4 vp in
the final)
Author: Hugh Angseesing

basic plan - Govern out some guys, use nocturns for a cheeky bleed of
1 to move the edge or to block nasty mean deepsong and shambling
rushes.

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 1 max: 7 average: 4.75

1x Henri Lavenant 7 DOM OBT pot qui Lasombra:3
1x Lord Vauxhall 7 DOM OBT POT THA Lasombra:4
1x Isanwayen 6 DOM MYT OBT Kiasyd:4
1x Onaedo 6 DOM OBT aus pot Lasombra:4
1x Andrew Emory 5 OBT aus dom pot bishop Lasombra:4
1x Banjoko 5 DOM obt pot Lasombra:3
1x Dame Hollerton 5 DOM OBT myt Kiasyd:4
1x Ermenegildo, The R 5 DOM OBT pot Lasombra:4
1x Leila Monroe 4 dom obt pre Lasombra:4
1x Keith Moody 3 DOM !Tremere:4
1x Lucy Markowitz 3 dom obt Lasombra:4
1x Anarch Convert 1 Caitiff:0

Library [85 cards]

Action [14]
14x Govern the Unaligned

Action Modifier [28]
1x Blanket of Night
4x Bonding
4x Conditioning
4x Foreshadowing Destruction
5x Shadow Play
4x Shroud of Absence
4x Shroud of Night
2x Tenebrous Form

Ally [11]
1x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
10x Nocturn

Combat [2]
2x Shadow Body

Equipment [1]
1x Zaire River Ferry

Event [2]
2x Unmasking, The

Master [13]
1x Anarch Troublemaker
1x Coven, The
1x Direct Intervention
1x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Elysian Fields
1x Giant's Blood
1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
1x Life in the City
2x Path of Night, The
2x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Visit from the Capuchin

Reaction [14]
6x Deflection
2x Delaying Tactics
4x On the Qui Vive
2x Redirection

extrala

Mar 21, 2010, 12:01:54 PM3/21/10
On Mar 21, 3:58 pm, squidalot <hugh.angsees...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Portuguese European Qualifier (3r + final)
> Location: IST - Lisboa (classroom C11),
> Portugal
> Saturday 13th March 2010
> Number of players: 17
>
> Deck: Dominating the Shadows with 3 GW 10 vps (including 1 GW 4 vp in
> the final)
> Author: Hugh Angseesing

Congrats, Hugh.

But I think, some 202 years after Lieutenant-General Sir Arthur
Wellesley has landed in Portugal, the Portuguese are still a little
bit too grateful for that. ;)

Best regards,
Ralf
====================
http://extrala.blogspot.com

Brum

Mar 21, 2010, 1:18:28 PM3/21/10

I don't think sir Arthur Wellesley har Portugal's best interest in
mind... so no.
As our report will specify, my poor choice in where to sit was
paramount for his Hughness win.
We will be seeking retribution in Her Majesty's soil in May.
And if I win, I will not wait for a report either. ;)

Tiago

squidalot

Mar 21, 2010, 1:45:41 PM3/21/10
> Tiago- Hide quoted text -

heheh :)

I think you'll find that nearly 100% of the time Portugal and Britain
have the same best interests :)

Drain

Mar 21, 2010, 7:05:58 PM3/21/10
On 21 Mar, 14:58, squidalot <hugh.angsees...@gmail.com> wrote:
> basic plan - Govern out some guys, use nocturns for a cheeky bleed of
> 1 to move the edge or to block nasty mean deepsong and shambling
> rushes.

Grrr. :)

Nice tourney and nice deck. What didn't really hit me until now was
the ungodly amount of Governs you had in it... I have to say your
crypt diversity really paid off during our game, I wasn't actually
expecting you to pull more minions without contesting at a given
point.

Report on the final table from your perspective, please? I wasn't
there to see but I got the distinctive impression that both you and
Pedro Luís (Tor player) had a pretty good stab for a win.

Drain

Lönkka

Mar 22, 2010, 6:22:02 AM3/22/10
On Mar 21, 6:01 pm, extrala <ralf.lamm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> But I think, some 202 years after Lieutenant-General Sir Arthur
> Wellesley has landed in Portugal, the Portuguese are still a little
> bit too grateful for that. ;)

:)
Although I certainly wouldn't put down the earlier efforts of the poor
unlucky Lieutenant-General Sir John Moore either...

Congrats Hugh!

Janne/Lönkka

librarian

Mar 22, 2010, 3:14:59 PM3/22/10
Brum wrote:
> On Mar 21, 4:01 pm, extrala <ralf.lamm...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 3:58 pm, squidalot <hugh.angsees...@gmail.com> wrote:> Portuguese European Qualifier (3r + final)
>>> Location: IST - Lisboa (classroom C11),
>>> Portugal
>>> Saturday 13th March 2010
>>> Number of players: 17
>>> Deck: Dominating the Shadows with 3 GW 10 vps (including 1 GW 4 vp in
>>> the final)
>>> Author: Hugh Angseesing
>> Congrats, Hugh.
>>
>> But I think, some 202 years after Lieutenant-General Sir Arthur
>> Wellesley has landed in Portugal, the Portuguese are still a little
>> bit too grateful for that. ;)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ralf
>> ====================http://extrala.blogspot.com
>
> I don't think sir Arthur Wellesley har Portugal's best interest in
> mind... so no.
> As our report will specify, my poor choice in where to sit was
> paramount for his Hughness win.

Would things have been better if you had scouted more?

best -

chris

squidalot

Mar 28, 2010, 6:39:22 PM3/28/10
On Mar 22, 8:14 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:

> Would things have been better if you had scouted more?
>
> best -
>
> chris- Hide quoted text -

No pretty happy with the Governs i'd already taken a reasonable number
of steps to spread blood load I think.

squidalot

Mar 28, 2010, 6:46:19 PM3/28/10
On Mar 22, 12:05 am, Drain <dr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nice tourney and nice deck. What didn't really hit me until now was
> the ungodly amount of Governs you had in it... I have to say your
> crypt diversity really paid off during our game, I wasn't actually
> expecting you to pull more minions without contesting at a given
> point.
>
> Report on the final table from your perspective, please? I wasn't
> there to see but I got the distinctive impression that both you and
> Pedro Luís (Tor player) had a pretty good stab for a win.
>
> Drain

The Governs are really really key.

The final table was pretty od actually Terese never really got going
and Luis Santos (?) had an awful crypt draw which meant he died just
before killing Terese.
If he'd survived one more turn he may have got Terese and Pedro as it
was it meant I got Luis and Terese.

Pedro took a bit too long to kill Tiago really so didn't look strong
going into the dual.

Brum

Mar 29, 2010, 11:21:38 PM3/29/10
On Mar 22, 8:14 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:

I knew all of the decks decklists from prior tournaments, except
Hugh's.
But since he wasn't playing any rocket-science stuff, one could easely
speculate on theme and strategy.

I should have been Teresa's prey. I would get vote lock on her and
block her easy. She had block denial and also unblockable-tech, but I
could have survived the few actions she could with that.
Actually, with the Two Wrongs she had, going salmon could of been fun
to watch.

Cheers,
Tiago

Brum

Mar 29, 2010, 11:25:39 PM3/29/10

I had awfull hand draw (5 Fortitude combat cards) and you had on of
your 2(!) S:CEs, so when I had the chance to put those Presses to a
good use, you ran away like a spoiled Lasombra little girl. :P

Oko

Apr 1, 2010, 10:31:23 AM4/1/10

Really, you should just give in and play Lasombra.
You know you want to.

Brum

Apr 1, 2010, 6:10:01 PM4/1/10

Why?
There's nothing they do something else doesn't do better. Except
Nocturns.

Drain

Apr 1, 2010, 9:38:10 PM4/1/10
> Nocturns.- Ocultar texto citado -
>
> - Mostrar texto citado -

That's just plain not true. And even then, "...except nocturns" can
still be worth a couple of TWDA spots.

I do know you dislike them for background reasons though. :-)

Drain

Brum

Apr 3, 2010, 7:15:06 AM4/3/10

That and the fact that this game has other crypts that can join DOM
with better stealth (free) and S:CE.
Political? Tzimizce are better. Camarilla has better toys and allot of
available crypts with (again) better stealth.
Bruise - bleed? Euro Brujah.
Pure Bruise? Please... Really, show me something that Lasombra do well
(top 3 in that "thing"), other than suck.

The latest Kyasid release completely sent Lasombra bleed out of the
top 5, thinking in clan base power bleeds.

Hugh used this deck because he's out to get TWD's with every clan
before Matt Morgan does. I don't thing he had Lasombra prior to his
visit here.

Tiago

squidalot

Apr 3, 2010, 7:24:50 PM4/3/10
> Tiago- Hide quoted text -

Well what you said is broadly true although I think they do Pre high
cap vote with title and stealth better than anyone other than Ven Obf
2-3.
(so i'd put them top 3 there).
Far better than vic pre vote as far as i'm concerned.
They do lose out on having the lockdown on bruise vote due to the
funky dom/ani prince & justicar combos now about but they're still
pretty solid and so is their breed boon (even if breeding with obf is
better than obt...)

I also think they have a better DOM obt crypt than Malkavians had DOM
obf. Of course the lose out in that obt is pretty poor.
Obt is still fairly flexible which is probably the best than can be
said for it (it's no mytherceria)....

Anyway if everyone only played the same golden halo decks all the time
it'd be pretty dull and 4/5 of the cards would never get used.

It's possible to win with more or less anything with some luck and
skill - see Guruhi at the NAC.

Drain

Apr 3, 2010, 11:44:00 PM4/3/10
> skill - see Guruhi at the NAC.- Ocultar texto citado -

> - Mostrar texto citado -

They're still the best (if for lack of competition) when it comes to
Descent into Darkness-based trick decks and essential to Baltimore
Purge decks.

Drain

squidalot

Apr 5, 2010, 3:29:19 PM4/5/10
> Drain- Hide quoted text -

You can do good purge decks (Brandywine!) without any lasombra but it
certainly helps.

Descent - I prefer Marcus Vitel and Burce de Guy.

Brum

Apr 6, 2010, 6:50:35 AM4/6/10

Yep, stealth PRE vote with titles is something they would be top 3. So
they are good for something. Go figure. Seems to me that the closer to
Arika, the closer to perfection :)
Tzim can reach 4 stealth on a political action (without location
stealth) and are way better vamps defensively. Sure, they miss out the
uber strong DOM, and these days that's a big handicap.

About power bleed top 3? Malk 94 are better due to 2 strong core
vamps, way better stealth and good supporting crypt. OBF has S:CE
these days and, again, Nocturns are the only thing Lasombra have to
show that Malk 94 don't have.
But has you all know you don't really need stealth to power bleed your
preys to death. I'd rate Giovanni, Kyasid and Malk better in the power
bleed with stealth and cookies department.

I agree with the "people should play and win with different things".
Personally I'm getting sick of the DOM mainstream we are having these
days. And that sucks since I love playing with Ventrue.

Tiago