Optimal Seating - 2 Round tournament

Nick M

Aug 4, 2009, 5:58:55 AM8/4/09
Hey All, I usually run 2 round tournaments using Round 1 and Round 3
of the Optimal Seating chart included in The Archon.
Realising that this was not 'optimal' I modified the numbers slightly,
guided by the Optimal Seating Criteria -
http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/2552391564fe2108

A formatted spreadsheet can be viewed here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AomnGn_6A3O3dF9lZ3VUSE1vTkYwbzRNckdhLV9wWFE&hl=en

A poorly formatted text version follows with comments on any criteria
violations (mainly the number of starting transfers for each player).
The results are not perfect, particularly the 9 player, but should be
usable. Comments?

Nick

(8 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4 5,6,7,8
R2 7,4,2,5 3,8,6,1
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,5,4,6 5,5,4,6)

(9 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9
R2 9,3,1,8,7 5,4,2,6
Available VPs are not equitably distributed for 3 players (1,3,6)
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (3,5,5,6,5 5,6,7,5)

(10 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9,10
R2 4,10,7,3,1 9,5,2,8,6
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,5,7,5,6 5,5,7,5,6)

(12 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4 5,6,7,8 9,10,11,12
R2 12,11,6,1 8,3,10,5 7,4,2,9
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,5,5,6 5,5,4,5
5,5,5,5)

(13 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9 10,11,12,13
R2 11,4,7,10,6 13,8,2,1 5,12,9,3
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,5,7,6,5 5,5,5,7
5,3,5,5)

(14 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9,10 11,12,13,14
R2 10,4,11,13,6 14,8,2,1,12 7,9,5,3
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,5,7,6,7 5,3,5,6,5
4,6,7,5)

(15 Players)
R1 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8,9,10 11,12,13,14,15
R2 14,8,10,2,11 4,13,15,7,1 9,3,5,12,6
Starting transfers are not equitably distributed (5,6,5,5,7 5,6,5,5,7
5,6,5,5,7)

Kevin M.

Aug 4, 2009, 5:22:46 PM8/4/09
Nick M wrote:
> Hey All, I usually run 2 round tournaments using Round 1 and Round 3
> of the Optimal Seating chart included in The Archon.
[snip]
> Comments?

Use rounds 1 and 2 instead. Seems to work much better.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/

LSJ

Aug 4, 2009, 5:33:40 PM8/4/09
Kevin M. wrote:
> Nick M wrote:
>> Hey All, I usually run 2 round tournaments using Round 1 and Round 3
>> of the Optimal Seating chart included in The Archon.
> [snip]
>> Comments?
>
> Use rounds 1 and 2 instead. Seems to work much better.

Um. No.

See links when they're provided. It works much better.

Kevin M.

Aug 4, 2009, 6:09:27 PM8/4/09

Sorry. I should've said
"Using rounds 1 and 2 instead of rounds 1 and 3 seems to work
much better for me and my players."

LSJ,
Any plans to modify the Archon for 2-round seating, given that it
looks to be far more popular than 3-round seating? Please? :)

LSJ

Aug 4, 2009, 7:21:25 PM8/4/09
Kevin M. wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>> Kevin M. wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> Use rounds 1 and 2 instead. Seems to work much better.
>> Um. No.
>>
>> See links when they're provided. It works much better.
>
> Sorry. I should've said
> "Using rounds 1 and 2 instead of rounds 1 and 3 seems to work
> much better for me and my players."
>
> LSJ,
> Any plans to modify the Archon for 2-round seating, given that it
> looks to be far more popular than 3-round seating? Please? :)

Thanks to Nick's constructive input, it certainly looks closer to reality.

Although I see no evidence that it is more popular than 3-round.

And, at any rate, it is easy enough to do by hand as needed.

Juggernaut1981

Aug 5, 2009, 7:14:16 PM8/5/09
> And, at any rate, it is easy enough to do by hand as needed.- Hide quoted text -

Due to time constraints (and particularly for Night Games) it may be
worth having a 2-round format available...