When to modify one's strike?

Jeffrey S. Pease

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
It is clear that Strike Modifiers must be used in the Choose Strike
phase to affect the current strike, from rules and errata. However, can
acting vampire declare a hand strike, blocking vampire declare a hand
strike, and then acting vampire play strike modifiers, followed by
blocking vampire play strike modifiers? Or does the strike modifier have
to go with each strike?

In other words, does the blocker get to know everything about the strike
before choosing a dodge/counter? It appears that isn't the case, but it
isn't totally clear when one phase ends and the other begins, and who
can play cards in which order in between.

Vamp A strikes with hand.
Vamp B thinks that's not so bad, and strikes with hand.
Vamp A says "Before we start resolving our strikes, let me play this
Wolf Claws"
Vamp B isn't looking forward to torpor, but can't dodge now, but could
still play Wolf Claws...
Then strikes are resolved as usual.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

James Coupe

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
In article <385146CA...@unknown.org>, Jeffrey S. Pease <Jeffrey.S.
Peas...@unknown.org> writes

>Vamp A strikes with hand.
>Vamp B thinks that's not so bad, and strikes with hand.
>Vamp A says "Before we start resolving our strikes, let me play this
>Wolf Claws"
>Vamp B isn't looking forward to torpor, but can't dodge now, but could
>still play Wolf Claws...
>Then strikes are resolved as usual.
>
>Is this correct?

Yes.

Wolf Claws/Claws of the Dead/Bone Spur etc. are played in the Choose
Strike phase, but can be played in the gap after both strikes have been
declared, before the phase ends.

--
James Coupe

LSJ

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
"Jeffrey S. Pease" wrote:

> It is clear that Strike Modifiers must be used in the Choose Strike
> phase to affect the current strike, from rules and errata. However, can
> acting vampire declare a hand strike, blocking vampire declare a hand
> strike, and then acting vampire play strike modifiers, followed by
> blocking vampire play strike modifiers?

Yes.
The acting vampire can even chose to play strike modifiers after the blocking
vampire does so (and then the blocking minion would be able to play more
modifiers, etc.)

> Or does the strike modifier have
> to go with each strike?

No.

> In other words, does the blocker get to know everything about the strike
> before choosing a dodge/counter? It appears that isn't the case, but it
> isn't totally clear when one phase ends and the other begins, and who
> can play cards in which order in between.

The phase ends when both players (all players, actually) are finished with it.

> Vamp A strikes with hand.
> Vamp B thinks that's not so bad, and strikes with hand.
> Vamp A says "Before we start resolving our strikes, let me play this
> Wolf Claws"
> Vamp B isn't looking forward to torpor, but can't dodge now, but could
> still play Wolf Claws...
> Then strikes are resolved as usual.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes.