Create-a-Clan rules questions

Ector

May 15, 2007, 1:54:07 AM5/15/07
I'm going to run our first CaC tournament this weekend, so I need some
clarifications.

1). Does the "Out-of-clan Disciplines may not be shared by more than
two vampires of the same clan" restriction count the advanced version
of a vampire or not? If the base version has the out-clan discipline,
the advanced one should have it as well, since "The advanced vampire
must have the same disciplines (and maybe more) at the same level or
higher as the base". If the advanced vampire counts, then no more
vampires can have that out-clan discipline, even at inferior level.
2). Does the restriction "Only one vampire can have a given special
ability (not counting merged text)" prevent from having one vampire
with +1 intercept and another with +2 intercept or not?
3). What does the words "one or zero" in the "Text of special is one
from A, one or zero from B (as indicated), one from C, and one from D"
mean? How can I choose zero from B section - not my predator, not my
prey, not any Methuselah, but whom?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Yours,
Ector

James Coupe

May 15, 2007, 2:59:42 AM5/15/07
In message <1179208447.7...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac

>1). Does the "Out-of-clan Disciplines may not be shared by more than
>two vampires of the same clan" restriction count the advanced version
>of a vampire or not?

Advanced: 0 points. Only 1 vampire may have this trait. His name
must be the same as another vampire in your set (and he doesn't
count as a different vampire from the base for purposes of
choosing Disiplines).

>2). Does the restriction "Only one vampire can have a given special
>ability (not counting merged text)" prevent from having one vampire
>with +1 intercept and another with +2 intercept or not?

The "+2 intercept" special is actually comprised of two different +1
intercept specials. To have one vampire with +2 intercept and another
with +1 intercept would require two of them to have the same +1
intercept special. Which isn't allowed.

You can have two with +1 intercept, though - one using the 6 capacity
version and one using the 10 capacity version.

>3). What does the words "one or zero" in the "Text of special is one
>from A, one or zero from B (as indicated), one from C, and one from D"
>mean? How can I choose zero from B section - not my predator, not my
>prey, not any Methuselah, but whom?

B applies to the special chosen in A, except where A doesn't include a
place-holder for B.

At present, there is one such special.

May bleed your prey at +1 bleed: 0.5 points

However, it's hardly unimaginable that there could create others. For
example, a special that was benign or beneficial would not require a
Methuselah as target. For example, you might have a vampire who had a
built-in Rave ability, or who could call a referendum to gain a title,
or whatever. (Not that I'm saying these are good ideas. Just that they
don't require a Methuselah to be targeted.)

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Ector

May 15, 2007, 6:32:07 AM5/15/07
On May 15, 9:59 am, James Coupe <j...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <1179208447.758202.172...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> Ector <E...@mail.ru> writes:
> >I'm going to run our first CaC tournament this weekend, so I need some
> >clarifications.
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=cac
>
> >1). Does the "Out-of-clan Disciplines may not be shared by more than
> >two vampires of the same clan" restriction count the advanced version
> >of a vampire or not?
>
> Advanced: 0 points. Only 1 vampire may have this trait. His name
> must be the same as another vampire in your set (and he doesn't
> count as a different vampire from the base for purposes of
> choosing Disiplines).
Thanks! I wonder how could I miss that...

> >2). Does the restriction "Only one vampire can have a given special
> >ability (not counting merged text)" prevent from having one vampire
> >with +1 intercept and another with +2 intercept or not?
>
> The "+2 intercept" special is actually comprised of two different +1
> intercept specials. To have one vampire with +2 intercept and another
> with +1 intercept would require two of them to have the same +1
> intercept special. Which isn't allowed.
>
> You can have two with +1 intercept, though - one using the 6 capacity
> version and one using the 10 capacity version.

I thought mysellf that +1 and +2 isn't allowed, but it's great to have
two vamps with +1! Thanks a lot!

> >3). What does the words "one or zero" in the "Text of special is one
> >from A, one or zero from B (as indicated), one from C, and one from D"
> >mean? How can I choose zero from B section - not my predator, not my
> >prey, not any Methuselah, but whom?
>
> B applies to the special chosen in A, except where A doesn't include a
> place-holder for B.
>
> At present, there is one such special.
>
> May bleed your prey at +1 bleed: 0.5 points
>
> However, it's hardly unimaginable that there could create others. For
> example, a special that was benign or beneficial would not require a
> Methuselah as target. For example, you might have a vampire who had a
> built-in Rave ability, or who could call a referendum to gain a title,
> or whatever. (Not that I'm saying these are good ideas. Just that they
> don't require a Methuselah to be targeted.)

I've got it, thanks. It's a bit strange that there are only three B
choices: your predator, your prey and any Methuselah, without "your
predator or your prey" choice.

Yours,
Ector

John Flournoy

May 15, 2007, 10:28:00 AM5/15/07
On May 15, 5:32 am, Ector <E...@mail.ru> wrote:

> I've got it, thanks. It's a bit strange that there are only three B
> choices: your predator, your prey and any Methuselah, without "your
> predator or your prey" choice.

How much would that choice be worth, given that 'your predator' or
'your prey' are free and 'any Methuselah' is worth .5?

Worth zero? It will _always_ get chosen over the existing options
'your prey' or 'your predator', since they cost the same and do less,
making those options useless.

Worth .5? It will _always_ get ignored in favor of 'any Methuselah'
which does more at the same cost, making this option useless.

Worth .25? Since nothing else in C-A-C costs .25, there's no
functional difference between .25 and .5 - still useless.

So basically, because there's no viable cost-slot for it.

> Yours,
> Ector

-John Flournoy

Ector

May 15, 2007, 12:06:29 PM5/15/07
On May 15, 5:28 pm, John Flournoy <carne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How much would that choice be worth, given that 'your predator' or
> 'your prey' are free and 'any Methuselah' is worth .5?
>
> Worth zero? It will _always_ get chosen over the existing options
> 'your prey' or 'your predator', since they cost the same and do less,
> making those options useless.

It could cost 0, but with minimal capacity requirement. Say, minimal
capacity 8. There are several such options in the rules.
Alternatively, this could cost 0.5, and "any Methuselah" could cost 1.
Why not?

Yours,
Ector

James Coupe

May 15, 2007, 5:53:39 PM5/15/07
In message <1179245189....@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Ector

Why do existing specials need to get more expensive? They are largely
pretty well balanced right now.

The only one that various people have expressed any enthusiasm for
seeing get more expensive is "Bleed your prey at +1 bleed" which, at 0.5
point, is really very pokey indeed.

Ector

May 16, 2007, 1:45:39 AM5/16/07
On May 16, 12:53 am, James Coupe <j...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:

> Why do existing specials need to get more expensive? They are largely
> pretty well balanced right now.

Surely they are. But from my experience people often choose "any
Methuselah" when they need just "your predator or your prey". How
often do you REALLY need to do something crosstable? Especially enter
combat crosstable or steal blood crosstable, that are the most popular
choices? Thus, it would be just logical to make "any Methuselah" cost
more than "your predator or your prey" if the player really wants
crosstable actions.

Yours,
Ector

James Coupe

May 16, 2007, 3:37:05 AM5/16/07
In message <1179294339.3...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Ector <Ec...@mail.ru> writes:
>On May 16, 12:53 am, James Coupe <j...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Why do existing specials need to get more expensive? They are largely
>> pretty well balanced right now.
>>
>Surely they are.

Then there's no need to make them more expensive. Tinkering for
tinkering's sake is generally to be discouraged.

> But from my experience people often choose "any
>Methuselah" when they need just "your predator or your prey". How
>often do you REALLY need to do something crosstable?

Stealing the Edge cross-table is probably the special which benefits
most from being multi-directional. Additionally, "May only hunt by
stealing a blood from..." is probably worth considering "any Methuselah"
on, to avoid getting into problems when you have a weakened table.

Additionally, if people do choose to spend the points on something which
they don't *really* need, that's just fine anyway. They're got a
vampire who is slightly weaker than otherwise was possible. Those 0.5
points could have been saved up for an Advanced vampire, or making one
of two vampires Black Hand.

> Especially enter
>combat crosstable or steal blood crosstable, that are the most popular
>choices? Thus, it would be just logical to make "any Methuselah" cost
>more than "your predator or your prey" if the player really wants
>crosstable actions.

As you have already said, however, "any Methuselah" is already
appropriately costed. It is not logical to make it more expensive when
it is already appropriately costed.

For anyone who wants "predator or prey" for 0.5 points under your
system, they just pick "any Methuselah" for 0.5 points under the current
system. Problem solved!