Official V:EKN Newsletter for Anarchs - August 2008

adam....@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2008, 4:33:43 PM8/27/08
ANARCH NEWSLETTER
By: Adam Hulse

Contents:

I - Introduction

II - Fiction

III - Anarchs in Combat – Key Card

IV - Deck Idea

V - Conclusion

I - Introduction

This is my first attempt at a Newsletter. I have been playing vtes for
sometime now, not since the beginning of the game mind you, but for
just a couple of years. I'd like to think that I can offer some advice
to all you players out there.

As a New Yorker, we are known for our combat (don't know why, maybe is
the city air that gets us so aggressive?) As such, I figured I'd talk
about combat with the new set that is out, Twilight Rebellion. i.e.
Anarchs. But first, some theme fiction about the topic. Enjoy! :)

II Fiction -

"Is this is a good look for me ladies?" said Mitchell as he stuck a
ridiculous pose with his shredded leather jacket. "I'm stylin'!"

Hester and Tabitha looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Posing
as an anarch coterie is one thing, but having to deal with this moron
Pander was starting to get on their nerves.

On the other side of the alleyway, the rest of the "coterie" were
having their own issues.

"This is a bad idea!" hissed Ignacio. "We should just go in there,
right before dawn. The old one would already be taking a nap. Kill
everyone there, a quick call to our minions to watch over us,
(ignoring Mitchell's sing-song of "Call in the Juice Bags!"), and use
their own haven till the next night."

"That, my excitable friend, leaves way too much to chance." replied
Dr. Julius Stephen as he flicked some non-existent dirt off his
immaculate suit. "Some of our companions, ride to close to the Beast
as it is. For all we know, they could pass out before Miss Victorine
Lafourcade does. No, better would be to pose as this Rabble we are
supposed to meet here, use their numbers to weaken her defenses and
retainers. Then we claim the prize and put the blame on them."

Looking at the third person of the discussion, a certain Black Hand
commander who watched their argument unblinkingly, Dr Stephen hastily
continued "My contacts in Seattle have assured me that our cover as
Anarchs from that city is secure. Our meeting with their compatriots
here in Atlanta is just a formality. We are just "reinforcements" to
make sure that their plan to take over the city goes smoothly. They
will take the city with our help... whether they keep it, that's
another story."

Stephen then held up his hand up in placation "Look, "Father", we no
longer have time to argue about it. Here our come our contacts."

"Allllright!!! It's party time!" said Mitchell with a crazed grin.

*****

The sky was clear and devoid of clouds. Mortals during the day would
be uplifted by such weather and would glance up high in appreciation.
However, within the darkness of night and respective souls, such
simple joy is lost on the undead. And even if they did glance upward,
they would have no chance of noticing the silent observer who took
note of everything.

*****

<sometime later>

An empty parking lot. The moon shining dimly on the few abandoned cars
that made their home there. At one end of the lot, shadows began to
move across the lot like a dark cloud of smog that bellows out of the
few factories in the district. Several figures emerge from the cloud,
breathing heavily. The fact that they were breathing at all attributed
to how much lack of control they had at the moment, all of them
regressing to their mortal days where fear kicked in and their bodies
was desperately trying to compensate.

"Oh shit oh shit oh shit!" panted Hester over and over again.

"Would you shut up!?!" said Ignacio "What the Abyss was Delgado doing
there? What the FUCK was Delagdo doing there?"

Dr. Julius Stephen, one once did not have a answer and just glared at
the Priest. His suit was in tatters, and one of his hands was stripped
to the bone. He just didn't have the blood to heal it. Stephen was
very close losing to the Beast, Ignacio could tell. So in a rare show
of calm Ignacio managed to lower his voice to diffuse the situation.

"Tabitha is gone. That idiot Mitchell as well. What the hell was
"Banjoko" thinking? Going after Delgado like that? We got played man,
we got played! This was all a set up! A set up!"

"Well at least the bitch Lafourcade went down I think. I busted that
bat right across her head. That thing caved in like a melon." said
Hester in a small voice.

"And so what?" snapped Stephen, his calm demeanor gone with the car he
threw at the wall in order for them to escape earlier. "You think she
can't heal that!?! You didn't finish the job! And as far as I can
tell, no one did!"

"Do you think Banjoko got him? Why did he do that?" asked Ignacio is a
quiet voice.

Stephen finally managed to reign the Beast in, and in a typical move
brushed the dust off of his tattered suit. Little clouds of debris and
dried blood flecked off. "I don't know. It must have been a hit.
Delgado must have pissed someone off, someone in the Hand. But I do
know that Delgado saw us. And recognized us. We are as good as dead
now."

Hester chimed in then "So what do we do now?"

Stephen and Ignacio just looked at each other, no answer forthcoming.

*****

Gemini, watching while cloaked inside one of the abandoned cars, just
smiled. Everything was going as his employer predicted. These three
were alone with very few choices before them. Now to just lead them to
the only one that made sense.

Fin.

-----------------------------

III – Anarchs in combat.

With Twilight Rebellion released. The Anarchs now have access to some
very interesting cards to give them and interesting edge. I will
briefly will go over some of them and then discuss the Key Card – Hell-
for-Leather.

Shoulder Drop

- Grapple. Play when you successfully inflict damage from a hand
strike. After strike resolution, if this minion is still ready, the
opposing minion takes 1 additional damage. The opposing minion cannot
press this round. A minion may play only one Shoulder Drop each
strike.

Review: Although not requiring an anarch, this can fit into several
anarch decks. As this is environmental damage, this is like a
discipline-less inferior carrion crows. Also, as your anarch guys are
usually on the smaller size, the opposing minion being unable to press
(continue or end) is can be a good thing.

This card could be used in conjunction with Still Tenacity (for
animalism) pretty well. Punch for 2 (+1 environmental) where you can
press and he cannot. Add Crows for the win. Take that celerity decks!

Lam Into

Requires an anarch. Do not replace until after combat. Strike: hand
strike or use a melee weapon strike. [for] This strike is at +1
damage, with an optional maneuver. [pot] This strike is at +2 demage.
[vic] This strike is at +1 damage, with an optional press. If another
round of combat occurs, range is automatically close.

Review: The versatility of this card is enormous. Fortitude is not
known for its maneuvers. Inferior potence punch for 3 (at no cost!)
And the [vic] is very nice with the press. There are a decent amount
of POT/vic vampires out there. Since immortal grapple is such a key
card, POT usually has a weakness against long range. This guarantees
close range in the next round. Just swing-and-miss in round one,
you'll hug 'em and hit 'em on the backswing in round 2. J

Haven Hunting

+1 stealth action. Requires an anarch. Put this card in play. At the
end of a combat involving an anarch you control, if both combatants
are still ready, you may burn this card to have the two combatants
begin another combat.

Review: Psyche! in a can! As you learn the game more, sometimes you'll
find that forward-forward-forward is not the way to go. Sometimes you
need to lay low of a little while. Take some harmless actions like
this one. Trust me, you will use it soon enough.

Steely Tenacity

Requires an anarch. Do not replace until the end of this action. When
you would replace this card, you may take this card from your ash heap
instead. [ani] [COMBAT] Strike: hand strike or use a melee weapon
strike. This strike is at +1 damage, with an optional press. [dom]
[ACTION] (D) Bleed at +1 bleed. [qui] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. (D)
Enter combat with a ready minion.

Review: So far, all the discussions I heard about this is the dominate
part. Doesn't anyone care that animalism is a Hand Strike with a
Press! And it comes back to your hand! This is great all around!
Animalism decks is the obvious choice. Howler or Muricia with their +1
strength comes to mind.

The Quietus rush (for all you minions with one card!) has potential,
haven't really made the deck for it yet.

Baseball Bat

Melee weapon. Do not replace until the end of this action. Strength+1
damage each strike. If the action to equip with the Baseball Bat is
successful, untap the acting minion at the end of the turn.

Review: Another card that does not require anarchs. This card goes
well with Lam Into, plus, as you will see below, the ability to equip
a "meat cleaver" and then untap to be able to deflect is very nice!

KEY CARD - Hell-for-Leather

Requires an anarch. Only one Hell-for-Leather may be played at a given
Discipline each combat. [ani] Strike: dodge, with an additional
strike. [cel] Additional strike (that doesn't count against the
limit). [obt] Play if this anarch is ready and the opposing minion is
not. The opposing minion's controller burns 2 pool.

Review: This is an great card for combat decks. The [ani] and the
[cel] is pretty straight forward. Strike: dodge with an additional
strike at inferior "anything" (but in this case [ani]) is just good.
The [cel] is just good and can be pretty funny when you consider Jacko
the anarch (has [obt] too!). But the important here is the [obt]. Burn
2 pool when you torpor someone!

In a lot of decks, the thing that gets them VPs is what some call the
"lunge". Meaning that, in just one turn you manage to out your prey
when he thinks he's safe and the rest of the table as no time to react/
help. Standard lunge moves are thinks like: Damaging votes (KRC, Con
Agg), if you have vote lock, you can do 9 to 12 pool in one turn.
Maybe even more! Or the obviously: stealth + bleed. Or some
combination of the two. Combat decks on the other hand tend to work
slower. Destroy your preys minions, and then whittle away at his pool.

Hell-for-Leather allows for a combat type lunge deck. Before when you
do a "fame-dunk-redunk" strategy (torpor-rescue-torpor), that is 6-7
pool loss. With Hell for leather, you can do 5 (even 6 with Tension)
per "dunk". This is a HUGE lunge! A person can be at 13 pool and you
can oust them in one turn one with combat! The deck below is to
accentuate that. I have played versions of it several times and it has
done pretty well. Enjoy!

IV - Deck Idea

Deck Name: ALL (Anarch Lunging Lasombra) Deck

Created By: Adam Hulse

and Hell-for-Leather. Find the weakest vampire on your prey and go for
the fame dunk trick. Or, in a pinch, dunk key vamp, and diabolized in
a fit of glory. In 60 cards, there are 5 that make you go anarch, plus
the 4 converts should be enough. Smear Campaign as opposed to Rampage
to get rid of Secure Haven. If you wish to make the deck bigger (as
I've done in some versions) so good additions are the following. (Just
make sure you increase the Fame and combat proportionally!)

Anarch Troublemaker
Anarch Free Press
Increase Deflections/wakes
Delaying Tactics/DI/Wash
Talley, the Hound (aus dom OBT POT)
(I like Gemini's animalism here)
1-2 Steely tenacity, (especially if you fit Talley in there)
Shroud of Night (add stealth to your rushs)
Lasombra Clan Cards

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 4, Max: 20, Avg: 3.08)

1 Mitchell obt pot 2 Pander
1 Hester Reed obt pot 3 Lasombra
1 Tabitha Fisk obt pot pro 4 Lasombra
1 Ignacio, The Black Priest dom obt pot 4 Lasombra
2 Dr. Julius Sutphen (ADV) dom obt POT 5 Lasombra
1 Gemini ani obt pot OBF 5 Nosferatu
1 Banjoko obt pot DOM 5 Lasombra
4 Anarch Convert 1 Caitiff

Library: (60 cards)

-------------------

Master (18 cards)
1 Tribute to the Master
2 Haven Uncovered
1 Vessel
3 Galaric`s Legacy
1 Barrens, The
1 Powerbase: Los Angeles
3 Fame
2 Tension in the Ranks
1 Smear Campaign
1 Anarch Revolt
1 Humanitas
1 Seattle Committee

Action (8 cards)
3 Bum`s Rush
3 Ambush
1 Go Anarch
1 Haven Hunting

Reaction (5 cards)
4 Deflection
1 On the Qui Vive

Combat (27 cards)
6 Hell-for-Leather
6 Immortal Grapple
7 Lam Into
5 Disarm
1 Thrown Sewer Lid
2 Fake Out

Ally (1 cards)
1 Grey Thorne

Equipment (1 cards)
1 Baseball Bat

V – Conclusion

So that's my first news letter! Anarch pot combat for-the-win! I hope
you guys enjoyed the fiction and the deck idea. As always, feel free
to comment, and I look forward to your responses.

Ector

Aug 28, 2008, 3:52:13 AM8/28/08

Very good newsletter! Thanks for a great job!
I still have some comments, if you don't mind.

> Shoulder Drop
>
> - Grapple. Play when you successfully inflict damage from a hand
> strike. After strike resolution, if this minion is still ready, the
> opposing minion takes 1 additional damage. The opposing minion cannot
> press this round. A minion may play only one Shoulder Drop each
> strike.
>
> Review: Although not requiring an anarch, this can fit into several
> anarch decks. As this is environmental damage, this is like a
> discipline-less inferior carrion crows. Also, as your anarch guys are
> usually on the smaller size, the opposing minion being unable to press
> (continue or end) is can be a good thing.
>
> This card could be used in conjunction with Still Tenacity (for
> animalism) pretty well. Punch for 2 (+1 environmental) where you can
> press and he cannot. Add Crows for the win. Take that celerity decks!

Actually, I don't think this will see significant play, as wasting a
card for 1 damage and "cannot press" effect doesn't seem very good.
This can be good against Fortitude-based prevention, though.

> Lam Into
>
> Requires an anarch. Do not replace until after combat. Strike: hand
> strike or use a melee weapon strike. [for] This strike is at +1
> damage, with an optional maneuver. [pot] This strike is at +2 demage.
> [vic] This strike is at +1 damage, with an optional press. If another
> round of combat occurs, range is automatically close.
>
> Review: The versatility of this card is enormous. Fortitude is not
> known for its maneuvers. Inferior potence punch for 3 (at no cost!)
> And the [vic] is very nice with the press. There are a decent amount
> of POT/vic vampires out there. Since immortal grapple is such a key
> card, POT usually has a weakness against long range. This guarantees
> close range in the next round. Just swing-and-miss in round one,
> you'll hug 'em and hit 'em on the backswing in round 2.

[pot] version is going to be the most popular, as it really enables a
serious combat with inferior Potence. I think that a for/pot deck can
have a lot of Lams Into and be quite devastating having such great
vampires as Jimmy Dunn, Lorrie or a bunch of Hermanas.

> Haven Hunting
>
> +1 stealth action. Requires an anarch. Put this card in play. At the
> end of a combat involving an anarch you control, if both combatants
> are still ready, you may burn this card to have the two combatants
> begin another combat.
>
> Review: Psyche! in a can! As you learn the game more, sometimes you'll
> find that forward-forward-forward is not the way to go. Sometimes you
> need to lay low of a little while. Take some harmless actions like
> this one. Trust me, you will use it soon enough.

This is weaker than Psyche! since it can be blocked - but being a
disciplineless card, it opens a new way to all combat decks without
IG, Psyche or Telepathic Trackings.

> Steely Tenacity
>
> Requires an anarch. Do not replace until the end of this action. When
> you would replace this card, you may take this card from your ash heap
> instead. [ani] [COMBAT] Strike: hand strike or use a melee weapon
> strike. This strike is at +1 damage, with an optional press. [dom]
> [ACTION] (D) Bleed at +1 bleed. [qui] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. (D)
> Enter combat with a ready minion.
>
> Review: So far, all the discussions I heard about this is the dominate
> part. Doesn't anyone care that animalism is a Hand Strike with a
> Press! And it comes back to your hand! This is great all around!
> Animalism decks is the obvious choice. Howler or Muricia with their +1
> strength comes to mind.
>
> The Quietus rush (for all you minions with one card!) has potential,
> haven't really made the deck for it yet.

I also don't care about +1 damage and press :) How this is going to
help you against Majesty, or against long-range combat etc. etc.? No
surprise that [dom] part is the most popular, as your pot/dom/obt
rushing deck suddenly turns to a decent bleeder with just one card! I
like the [qui] part too - reusable rush for the Assamites, without any
restrictions and at +1 stealth! Web of Knives anarchs anyone?

> Baseball Bat
>
> Melee weapon. Do not replace until the end of this action. Strength+1
> damage each strike. If the action to equip with the Baseball Bat is
> successful, untap the acting minion at the end of the turn.
>
> Review: Another card that does not require anarchs. This card goes
> well with Lam Into, plus, as you will see below, the ability to equip
> a "meat cleaver" and then untap to be able to deflect is very nice!

Utter crap. Weighted Walking Stick is almost strictly better.

I really like the deck idea, but it would be great to see at least
sketch of a "real" deck instead of the idea. A rush deck with average
capacity 3.08 cannot have 60 cards unless it can somehow refill its
library - you need 2-4 cards for each combat, so you'll need all 90
cards, and probably more :)
Plus, this deck already has 18 masters (way too much for a rush deck),
but it has serious "holes" in combat: two Fake Outs aren't enough for
maneuvering. I'd drop Smear Campaign, Anarch Revolt and Humanitas and
add Shadow Steps (why do you need Fake Outs if all your vamps have
Obt?)

Ector

adam....@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2008, 10:10:11 AM8/28/08
Well as this is my first newsletter, I keep checking to see who
posted. :)
Since its just you so far Ector, I'll respond to your comments. :)

On Aug 28, 3:52 am, Ector <Ec...@mail.ru> wrote:
> Very good newsletter! Thanks for a great job!
> I still have some comments, if you don't mind.

Adam: Not at all. Glad you liked it. The fiction was a kind of spur of
the moment thing.

> > Shoulder Drop
>
> > - Grapple. Play when you successfully inflict damage from a hand
> > strike. After strike resolution, if this minion is still ready, the
> > opposing minion takes 1 additional damage. The opposing minion cannot
> > press this round. A minion may play only one Shoulder Drop each
> > strike.
>
> > Review: Although not requiring an anarch, this can fit into several
> > anarch decks. As this is environmental damage, this is like a
> > discipline-less inferior carrion crows. Also, as your anarch guys are
> > usually on the smaller size, the opposing minion being unable to press
> > (continue or end) is can be a good thing.
>
> > This card could be used in conjunction with Still Tenacity (for
> > animalism) pretty well. Punch for 2 (+1 environmental) where you can
> > press and he cannot. Add Crows for the win. Take that celerity decks!
>
> Actually, I don't think this will see significant play, as wasting a
> card for 1 damage and "cannot press" effect doesn't seem very good.
> This can be good against Fortitude-based prevention, though.

Adam: Significant play? I guess not. From my play group, pressing to
following rounds is fairly consistent. One player has been playing
with Police Department to just counter it.

Adam: But once it hits play, anyone of your anarch vamps can use it
and it doesn't clog your hand.

> > Steely Tenacity
>
> > Requires an anarch. Do not replace until the end of this action. When
> > you would replace this card, you may take this card from your ash heap
> > instead. [ani] [COMBAT] Strike: hand strike or use a melee weapon
> > strike. This strike is at +1 damage, with an optional press. [dom]
> > [ACTION] (D) Bleed at +1 bleed. [qui] [ACTION] +1 stealth action. (D)
> > Enter combat with a ready minion.
>
> > Review: So far, all the discussions I heard about this is the dominate
> > part. Doesn't anyone care that animalism is a Hand Strike with a
> > Press! And it comes back to your hand! This is great all around!
> > Animalism decks is the obvious choice. Howler or Muricia with their +1
> > strength comes to mind.
>
> > The Quietus rush (for all you minions with one card!) has potential,
> > haven't really made the deck for it yet.
>
> I also don't care about +1 damage and press :) How this is going to
> help you against Majesty, or against long-range combat etc. etc.? No
> surprise that [dom] part is the most popular, as your pot/dom/obt
> rushing deck suddenly turns to a decent bleeder with just one card! I
> like the [qui] part too - reusable rush for the Assamites, without any
> restrictions and at +1 stealth! Web of Knives anarchs anyone?

Adam: > "I also don't care about +1 damage and press :-) How this is
going to
> help you against Majesty, or against long-range combat etc. etc.?" Isn't that the same argument against any type animalism combat deck? Those seem to work fine. :-) And for the rushing deck, I'd considered it, but with that small crypt, I'd be lucky to get two vamps with dom.

> > Baseball Bat
>
> > Melee weapon. Do not replace until the end of this action. Strength+1
> > damage each strike. If the action to equip with the Baseball Bat is
> > successful, untap the acting minion at the end of the turn.
>
> > Review: Another card that does not require anarchs. This card goes
> > well with Lam Into, plus, as you will see below, the ability to equip
> > a "meat cleaver" and then untap to be able to deflect is very nice!
>
> Utter crap. Weighted Walking Stick is almost strictly better.

Adam: I like Weighted Walking Stick, but many a time, a) I use up the
stick fast or more commonly b) I play with WWS, but then have another
WWS in hand that I cannot play.

Adam: Fake outs? Why for Grey Thorne of course! :) However you are
right, I would switch them to Fae Contortion which are easier to come
by.
A lot of masters true, but 5 are triffles, and two are discard type
master cards.
And actually, if any of my NYC play group would like to comment, I
have played basically this deck to pretty good effect. I would
probably bring it up to 90 for an official tournament, more wakes and
deflections, but in casual games I use very little pool, and all of
the vamps do what they are supposed to do. Oh and for the refill
library... I forgot Garibaldi-Meucci Museum of course! :-)

Thanks for you comments!
Adam

librarian

Sep 2, 2008, 10:07:38 PM9/2/08
adam....@gmail.com wrote:
> ANARCH NEWSLETTER
> By: Adam Hulse

I found a crypt with Ani and Obt made for a good deck using Hell for
Leather. Haven't run it yet, but I'll keep you posted. Maybe you will
see it on JOL...

best -

chris

--