Deck archive AND inventory tool?

Cry Wolf

Jul 31, 2008, 8:41:48 AM7/31/08
Hello Meths,

I've been creating semi-permanent decks from my small collection and
now I have about 5 81-90 card decks. I have an inventory of all my
cards, but currently I only use FELDB (which is a great tool) for it,
and the deck construction.

This led to a small problem. Since the decks are semi-permanent, I
would like a way to track how many of a card is left in my collection.

For example, I have a total of 8 .44 Magnums. I have a deck that uses
6 of them. I would like my inventory to reflect the unused 2 .44s.
This becomes crucial when I try to account for "utility" cards like
Forced Awakening, OtQV, etc.

To illustrate further, the math for each card would be something like:

[Total_of_CARDNAME] - [#_of_CARDNAME_in_Deck1] -
[#_of_CARDNAME_in_Deck2] - [#_of_CARDNAME_in_Deck3] - ...
[#_of_CARDNAME_in_Deckn] = [Inventory_of_CARDNAME]

Is there a deck building/inventory tool out there that can help me?

Cry Wolf

librarian

Jul 31, 2008, 11:58:44 AM7/31/08

I thought FELDB did that too. Or at least checks when you are building
a deck to see if you have enough inventory...

best -

chris

--
Super Fun Cards
www.superfuncards.com *NEW Website!*

Thrall of Arika

Jul 31, 2008, 12:29:38 PM7/31/08
> aucti...@superfuncards.com- Hide quoted text -

FELDB will check against your total inventory, yes.

What the OP is looking for is a tool that will keep track of a current
inventory, with cards 'removed' from it to represent being in decks
they already play with and don't want to fish the cards out of to put
into another deck (and thus likely forgetting which cards to put into
the permanent deck later on).

I don't now of any tools that can do this. You would need a function
to assign a deck as permanent and another column for a Current
Inventory. Then likely need to load the permanent deck for the tool to
'pull out' the cards from your Current Inventory (but keeping your
Overall Inventory intact).

It'll take a little work, but you could attempt to scoot around this
by using the other inventory columns. I can't remember what FELDB has,
I've since moved to ARDB, but I seem to remember a couple of extra
columns. Make one of these your Overall Inventory, and use the main
Have column for your Current, reducing the numbers as you put cards
into your permanent decks. That is one tool I miss from FELDB, the
inventory check, as I build decks.

Chris, Thrall of Arika

Cry Wolf

Aug 1, 2008, 12:10:19 AM8/1/08
On Aug 1, 12:29 am, Thrall of Arika <christopher.ack...@amec.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 31, 8:58 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
>

> What the OP is looking for is a tool that will keep track of a current
> inventory, with cards 'removed' from it to represent being in decks
> they already play with and don't want to fish the cards out of to put
> into another deck (and thus likely forgetting which cards to put into
> the permanent deck later on).

Correct. :P

> I don't now of any tools that can do this. You would need a function
> to assign a deck as permanent and another column for a Current
> Inventory. Then likely need to load the permanent deck for the tool to
> 'pull out' the cards from your Current Inventory (but keeping your
> Overall Inventory intact).

Again, correct. I think there's a niche market for this kind of tool.

> It'll take a little work, but you could attempt to scoot around this
> by using the other inventory columns. I can't remember what FELDB has,
> I've since moved to ARDB, but I seem to remember a couple of extra
> columns. Make one of these your Overall Inventory, and use the main
> Have column for your Current, reducing the numbers as you put cards
> into your permanent decks. That is one tool I miss from FELDB, the
> inventory check, as I build decks.
>
> Chris, Thrall of Arika

Hmm... Actually, the "workflow", so to speak, that I wanted was that I
can create a deck and as I enter cards in it, the tool automatically
deducts from the Inventory count. Perhaps even turn red when there's
not enough cards in the inventory.

Then I could create another deck and do more deck building. Again, the
same deductions.

And then, when I delete the deck, the tool would increment the
Inventory count with the number of cards from the deleted deck.

*sigh* I wonder if there's an obscure tool out there that can do this.

Or I might have to develop it myself. Even in Excel or something.

(Still hoping for more posts.)

Cry Wolf

Salem

Aug 1, 2008, 5:39:25 AM8/1/08
Cry Wolf wrote:

> Hmm... Actually, the "workflow", so to speak, that I wanted was that I
> can create a deck and as I enter cards in it, the tool automatically
> deducts from the Inventory count. Perhaps even turn red when there's
> not enough cards in the inventory.
>
> Then I could create another deck and do more deck building. Again, the
> same deductions.
>
> And then, when I delete the deck, the tool would increment the
> Inventory count with the number of cards from the deleted deck.
>
> *sigh* I wonder if there's an obscure tool out there that can do this.
>
> Or I might have to develop it myself. Even in Excel or something.

sounds like a job for....a database!

you'd have a decks tables (deck_id, deck_nm, etc), a deckcards table
(deck_id, card_id, card_num), and a cards table (card_id, card_nm,
...card_txt?).

one of the decks in the decks table would be your 'inventory', and would
store all your cards.

each deck would be stored as all the cards in that deck.

and then you'd have a view onto the whole thing with your 'remainder'
cards (inventory - decks).

then you'd need to put a FELDB type interface over the whole thing to
get it to work nicely.

hmm. i've given myself enough work by trying to build a database for my
playgroups weekly games, i don't think i need to go and try and do this
too. but let me know if someone does!
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Bala

Aug 1, 2008, 5:19:38 PM8/1/08
Hi All, :)

I'll check the possibilities on the next week, maybe I can change the
FELDB to able to store the Decks to the database easily, then I can
write this feature.

regards,
Bala
(programmer of FELDB)

Cry Wolf

Aug 2, 2008, 8:06:13 AM8/2/08
On Aug 1, 2:19 pm, Bala <kbk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All, :)
>
> I'll check the possibilities on the next week, maybe I can change the
> FELDB to able to store the Decks to the database easily, then I can
> write this feature.

Go Bala!

I look forward to this innovation.

Bala

Aug 6, 2008, 4:04:11 AM8/6/08

I started the development. :)

Cry Wolf

Aug 6, 2008, 5:32:53 AM8/6/08

Woot!

Bala

Aug 17, 2008, 2:47:30 AM8/17/08
Hi All,

so I started design a new Tab in the FELDB called "Deck Manager".
There you can see a list of ALL of your decks what ever made (and
saved). These Decks will be stored in the database, and you can open
any with one click.
Also you can manage your decks using a management tree, where you can
create Groups for your decks, like "My Lasonmbra decks" or "Combat
decks". Then, you can put the decks to this groups. (using Drag and
Drop)
Also, you can see hundrends :) of information of your selected deck:
Name, list of cards, creating/modifing date, etc... (___Just Right
click on the "My Groups" list___)

You can see the a BETA version of this: http://member.rpg.hu/bala/vampire_beta1.zip
In this version there is only 3 deck in the database (but you cannot
open yet :) ), but please try to manage it, see the design and if you
have some idea, please tell me here or email.

Regards,
Bala

Cry Wolf

Aug 21, 2008, 11:55:53 PM8/21/08
On Aug 17, 2:47 pm, Bala <kbk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> so I started design a new Tab in theFELDBcalled "Deck Manager".

Hi Bala,

From a user's point of view, it's good. Very useful, especially if you
want to see what kinds of decks you've made. God knows we can make so
many in such little time.

If I can get the list of crypt/library on the right-hand side (with
corresponding info like cap/cost & clan/type) that would be perfect
already.

Looking forward to your actual release.