LSJ: House of Sorrow + The Coven

brandonsantacruz

Sep 14, 2009, 4:56:47 PM9/14/09
Hi LSJ,
I had a situation come up where I used House of Sorrow to untap my
Coven and then tapped The Coven to get more blood before passing it to
my pred. Does The Coven untap on my pred's untap phase, or does the
phrase "your next untap phase" from House of Sorrrow apply to them
because they are the current controller? We weren't sure and played as
though the "your next untap phase" still applied to me and therefore
had no effect on The Coven.

Thanks,

Brandon

The Coven [SW:R, Anarchs:PAG, KoT:PM]
Cardtype: Master
Unique master. Trifle.
Put this card into play. Tap to move 2 blood from the blood bank to a
ready vampire you control. During your discard phase, your predator
takes control of The Coven.

House of Sorrow [Promo-20081119]
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 1 pool
Master: unique location.
Tap to untap any card you control that is not a minion. If you do so,
neither that card nor this location untap as normal on your next untap
phase.

Jussi Hattara

Sep 14, 2009, 5:45:07 PM9/14/09
On Sep 14, 11:56 pm, brandonsantacruz <brandonsantac...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I'd say you played it correctly. The Coven would untap perfectly
normal in your predator's untap phase.

Kevin M.

Sep 14, 2009, 6:44:08 PM9/14/09

So if your predator (who now has The Coven) on her next turn ousted
all remaining players except for you and her, in her discard phase
passed to you The Coven, would The Coven and House of Sorrow not
untap on your untap phase, since it's now "your next untap phase"?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
Please buy my cards! http://shop.ebay.com/kjmergen/m.html

The Lasombra

Sep 14, 2009, 6:59:05 PM9/14/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:44:08 -0700, "Kevin M." wrote:

>So if your predator (who now has The Coven) on her next turn ousted
>all remaining players except for you and her, in her discard phase
>passed to you The Coven, would The Coven and House of Sorrow not
>untap on your untap phase, since it's now "your next untap phase"?

Yes.

So, when down to 2 players, don't re-use the Coven via House of
Sorrows on your turn unless you absolutely have to do so.

LSJ

Sep 14, 2009, 7:02:31 PM9/14/09
Jussi Hattara wrote:
> On Sep 14, 11:56 pm, brandonsantacruz <brandonsantac...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi LSJ,
>> I had a situation come up where I used House of Sorrow to untap my
>> Coven and then tapped The Coven to get more blood before passing it to
>> my pred. Does The Coven untap on my pred's untap phase, or does the
>> phrase "your next untap phase" from House of Sorrrow apply to them
>> because they are the current controller? We weren't sure and played as
>> though the "your next untap phase" still applied to me and therefore
>> had no effect on The Coven.
>>
> I'd say you played it correctly. The Coven would untap perfectly
> normal in your predator's untap phase.

Correct.

brandonsantacruz

Sep 14, 2009, 7:06:53 PM9/14/09

Ok, thanks. So much for my trick ;(

Brandon

Frederick Scott

Sep 14, 2009, 8:36:40 PM9/14/09
"brandonsantacruz" <brandons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, gee, you still got a couple extra blood out of The Coven. That's
not chopped liver.

Sheesh, people want their card combos to bake their cakes and it eat it
for them, too!

Fred

brandonsantacruz

Sep 15, 2009, 12:56:23 AM9/15/09
On Sep 14, 5:36 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> "brandonsantacruz" <brandonsantac...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You're right. It's good, just not *as* good as I had hoped. In 1v1,
using it may be worse than just using Coven. One thing's for sure:
it's not as good as Villein + Giant's Blood or Villein + Golconda (or
Villein + Giant's Blood and then Villein + Golconda. Arika just became
11 + 10 + 11 pool!). Seriously though, it makes the deck idea I had a
lot less interesting. But I do have another one.... muahahaha!

Brandon

Frederick Scott

Sep 15, 2009, 2:22:49 AM9/15/09

> On Sep 14, 5:36 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> > "brandonsantacruz" <brandonsantac...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok, thanks. So much for my trick ;(
> >
> > Well, gee, you still got a couple extra blood out of The Coven. That's
> > not chopped liver.
>
> You're right. It's good, just not *as* good as I had hoped.

Hmmm. It does sort of bring up a whole class of combo card with
House of Sorrow to mind. A couple more examples:

The Admonitions - combos pretty much like The Coven

Fragment of the Book of Nod - even if tapped, you still get the option
to use it as it's being stolen. If untapped, you could use it twice.

Generally, anything that taps for a good effect but is easily stolen
or passes around the table as its compensating drawback would potentially
offer a nice combo with House of Sorrow.

Fred

brandonsantacruz

Sep 15, 2009, 1:41:10 PM9/15/09
On Sep 14, 11:22 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> "brandonsantacruz" <brandonsantac...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Well, gee, you still got a couple extra blood out of The Coven. That's
> > > not chopped liver.
>
> > You're right. It's good, just not *as* good as I had hoped.
>
> Hmmm.  It does sort of bring up a whole class of combo card with
> House of Sorrow to mind.  A couple more examples:
>
> The Admonitions - combos pretty much like The Coven
>
> Fragment of the Book of Nod - even if tapped, you still get the option
> to use it as it's being stolen.  If untapped, you could use it twice.
>
> Generally, anything that taps for a good effect but is easily stolen
> or passes around the table as its compensating drawback would potentially
> offer a nice combo with House of Sorrow.
>
> Fred

I was using a ventrue vote deck including Democritus to defend the
highly contestable cards like Ventrue HQ, Elysium: PV, Barrens and
Info Highway with The Coven and Esgrima as a nifty trick that didn't
quite work as intended. There is a lot of potential for abuse with
House of Sorrow, so expect to see it around ;)

Brandon