Justicar Retribution - LSJ contradiction

Pedro Coelho

Dec 22, 2005, 2:04:20 PM12/22/05
In one thread, someone asked:

"1) I have Constanza Vinti in play. My prey has Ventrue in play and
passes Justicar Retribution. Does Constanza burn? According to the
ruling, yes, but I just wanted confirmation."

LSJ confirmed that Costanza is burned in such situation.

(http://groups.google.com.br/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/d23e21c1bcb43e7a/e85496d6cd266e79?q=justicar+retribution&rnum=1#e85496d6cd266e79)

In another thread, also about Justicar Retribution, another person
asked:

"What about conditional bleed bonuses? Would Queen Anne be burned if
her prey had a ready Tremere? According to Errata, this bonus is
actually dependent on whether the Methuselah she bleeds has a ready
Tremere, so her "current bleed" is dependent on which Methuselah she
chooses to bleed. Still, would she be burned if ALL other methuselahs
had a ready Tremere?"

LSJ answered: "According to errata, she only gets her bonus when "the
Methuselah
she bleeds controls a ..." [RTR 960530] So, when she's not bleeding,
the bonus doesn't apply."

(http://groups.google.com.br/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/7f38d15b5e81de05/f1f5fb2ffb42fc12?q=justicar+retribution&rnum=2#f1f5fb2ffb42fc12)

I understand that this second answer implies that when Queen Anne is
not bleeding, her current bleed is 1 (because the bonus doesn´t
apply). Yet, it has been said that Costanza is burned in a Justicar
Retribution referendum if her controller´s prey has a ready ventrue,
thus, the referendum treats her as if having a current bleed of 3 or
more, even thought she´s not bleeding at the time of the referendum.

Both Costanza´s and Queen Anne´s increased bleed are conditional (and
Cornelius Otavius´ too), but the answers are different, so I´d like
to know which case is correct... do they burn or not?

Thanks for the help!

John Flournoy

Dec 22, 2005, 2:33:41 PM12/22/05

Pedro Coelho wrote:

> LSJ answered: "According to errata, she only gets her bonus when "the
> Methuselah
> she bleeds controls a ..." [RTR 960530] So, when she's not bleeding,
> the bonus doesn't apply."
>
> (http://groups.google.com.br/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/7f38d15b5e81de05/f1f5fb2ffb42fc12?q=justicar+retribution&rnum=2#f1f5fb2ffb42fc12)
>

> Both Costanza´s and Queen Anne´s increased bleed are conditional (and
> Cornelius Otavius´ too), but the answers are different, so I´d like
> to know which case is correct... do they burn or not?

They would burn - note the 'RTR 960530'? That was a ruling from the
rules team in May 1996, in a post you reference which LSJ made in 1998.

The post about Costanza is much more recent one (2003); I'd assume that
that ruling is currently valid and the one that was mentioned almost 8
years ago has since been corrected and/or made no longer valid.

> Thanks for the help!

-John Flournoy

invisibl...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2005, 5:02:52 PM12/22/05
John Flournoy wrote:
> > Both Costanza´s and Queen Anne´s increased bleed are conditional (and
> > Cornelius Otavius´ too), but the answers are different, so I´d like
> > to know which case is correct... do they burn or not?
>
> They would burn - note the 'RTR 960530'? That was a ruling from the
> rules team in May 1996, in a post you reference which LSJ made in 1998.
>
> The post about Costanza is much more recent one (2003); I'd assume that
> that ruling is currently valid and the one that was mentioned almost 8
> years ago has since been corrected and/or made no longer valid.

Hmm. A question came up last week on The Path of Blood about whether or
not a vampire with +bleed can be Masked. When I searched the newsgroup
for a ruling on it, I came up with this as the most recent:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_frm/thread/24e302d0dbc8dbc0/ed8828f9050bdcc1?q=mask+bleed+author%3Alsj&rnum=6#ed8828f9050bdcc1

If that is the most recent, and if John Flournoy is correct in the post
above, isn't there a discrepancy here? It would seem that both rulings
couldn't be correct simultaneously, and the ruling I linked above is
newer than the one positing that Constanza would burn.

John Eno

LSJ

Dec 22, 2005, 7:13:43 PM12/22/05

Justicar Retribution checks the bleed amount the minion would have
when bleeding his or her prey with a successful default bleed action.

Mask checks whether effects have been applied.

No inconsistency -- they just check different things.

--
That is my story, be it bitter or be it sweet.
Keep a little and let a little come back to me.

invisibl...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2005, 4:13:06 PM12/23/05
LSJ wrote:
> Justicar Retribution checks the bleed amount the minion would have
> when bleeding his or her prey with a successful default bleed action.
>
> Mask checks whether effects have been applied.
>
> No inconsistency -- they just check different things.

Gotcha. Thanks, LSJ.

John Eno