Jyhad/VTES FAQ

The Lasombra

Sep 1, 2008, 2:45:26 PM9/1/08
View it on the web, where its formatting is preserved.

---------------------------
http://www.thelasombra.com/vtes_faq.htm
---------------------------

Jyhad / V:tES Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Version 1.96

Contents.

1. What is Jyhad / V:tES?

(1.1) Background
(1.2) When/Why did the name change?
(1.3) Can I mix card backs/sets?
(1.4) Where can I discuss this game?
(1.5) Where can I find other people who play this game?
(1.6) Is there an official tournament calendar?
(1.7) Where can I sell my cards online / trade cards online?
(1.8) Who are all of these people posting online?
(1.9) How is vampire capacity costing designed, in general?
(1.10) When is the next Storyline event being held?

2. Rules questions

(2.1) Where are the current rules and errata archives?
(2.2) What was changed by the July 7 ("7/7") rulings?
(2.3) Where can I find the official tournament (V:EKN) rules?
(2.4) How do I get an answer to my rules questions?
(2.5) Are the answers I get to rules questions on the newsgroup
"official"?
(2.6) What are the "golden tenets"?
(2.7) Do I really have to play with all these rules and errata?
(2.8) Is there an up-to-date version of the rulebook?
(2.9) What does [1.6.3.2] mean?
(2.10) Bloodlines introduces a lot of new terms and mechanics.
Is there a webpage that documents them all?
(2.11) I have some questions about the Anarchs set. Is there a
FAQ for Anarchs?
(2.12) I have some questions about the Imbued. Is there a FAQ
for the Imbued?

3. Specific rules questions

(3.1) Is there a card limit?
(3.2) How does aggravated damage work?
(3.3) How does Trap / Undead Persistence work?
(3.4) Ousting issues.
(3.5) Can Rötschreck be played when...?
(3.6) Can Bonding be played on a non-bleed action?
(3.7) Can stolen blood be used to heal damage?
(3.8) When can I play Wolf Claws?
(3.9) How does Madness Network work?
(3.10) If I forget to gain one pool for the edge during my
untap, can I still get it?
(3.11) Paying blood for rescues from torpor.
(3.12) When can I play Deflection / Redirection / My Enemy's
Enemy / Telepathic Misdirection?
(3.13) What does "Requires" mean?
(3.14) When can Fida'i untap?
(3.15) What does "Played" mean?
(3.16) What does "Hand Strike" mean?
(3.17) What is "Environmental Damage" versus "damage from a
minion"?
(3.18) What does "Same Action" mean?
(3.19) What is the "NRA" or "No Repeat Actions" rule?
(3.20) How do Malleable Visage and Obedience interact?
(3.21) Can I block with another minion if the first block fails
(or if the first block is "passed" by Form of Mist)?
(3.22) Is negative intercept/stealth possible? Can I block a
0-stealth action if I have -1 intercept?
(3.23) Which vampires can cast votes in which referendums? Who
can vote when?
(3.24) Do I have to burn a blood for Forced Awakening if I play
a reaction card and do not attempt to block?
(3.25) What cards do I control, ie which cards leave play when I
am ousted?
(3.26) How does Torn Signpost work, really?
(3.27) How does Charming Lobby work, really?
(3.28) Can I transfer out in a tournament?
(3.29) What is the sect membership of my Embrace / Progeny /
Creation Rites vampire?
(3.30) How does Possession interact with the No Repeat Actions
rule?
(3.31) Can I use a card that requires me to block, to untap
against an action that is directed at someone else?
(3.32) How does Taste of Vitae work, really?
(3.33) Can Theft of Vitae be used against an ally or retainer?
(3.34) When can I burn the Temptation counters to take control
of a vampire?
(3.35) Which vampires have titles? Which vampires lose 1 vote
when a Free States Rant is called?
(3.36) How does my Influence phase work?

4. Organizational questions

(4.1) Who is the net-rep?
(4.1.1) Who is the Rules Team (RT)?
(4.2.1) What is V:EKN?
(4.2.2) What is NJL?
(4.3) Who writes the clan newsletters? Can I write a
newsletter?
(4.4) When's the next expansion coming out?
(4.5) Can I play on-line?
(4.6) I heard WOTC no longer has control of VTES, and White Wolf
now does. Is this true?
(4.7) Where can I find a card list for any expansion?

5. Credits / Acknowledgements

1. What is Jyhad / V:tES?
1.1. Background.
The game currently known as Vampire: the Eternal Struggle (formerly
Jyhad) is a collectible card game originally designed by Richard
Garfield and first published by Wizards of the Coast. The game is
based on the White Wolf "World of Darkness" role-playing system,
specifically, Vampire: the Masquerade.

Each player represents an ancient vampire (a Methuselah), and the
cards and game play represent vampires, their equipment, their allies,
and their actions. Each player has a "blood pool", which is used to
gain control of vampires from their deck, and also serves as a life
total; once a player runs out of pool, they are "ousted" from the
game.

The table dynamic is a predator-prey relationship. A player's primary
goal is to oust the person to their left (their prey) without getting
ousted by the player to their right (their predator). If a player
successfully ousts their prey, they gain a bonus of six pool, as well
as a victory point. The player who is the last one not ousted gets a
victory point as well, but it is the player with the most victory
points who wins the game.

Richard Garfield was interviewed in 2001 about what he thought of the
state of the game. Click here to read the interview.
http://www.vtesinla.org/articleGarfield.htm

1.2. When/Why did the name change?
In August of 1995, the unlimited edition of Jyhad was released as
Vampire: the Eternal Struggle. Every set except for the original
Jyhad has featured the new card backs which bear this name. The
second edition cards also have a red-and-black border instead of the
standard black border of the first edition cards.

The reason for the change given at the time was mainly that Wizards
wanted the game to be more appealing to more people. By changing the
name to Vampire and adding a "Basic Game" to the rulebook they hoped
to increase interest in the game.

Here is WOTC's official press release on the subject of card back
changes.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3o44pv%24h7g%40darkstar.UCSC.EDU
1.3. Can I play with mixed card backs/set?
You may play with any cards from any set in a tournament setting,
adhering to the exceptions in the V:EKN tournament rules; see section
2.2. The V:EKN rules contain a banned list as well as an optional
rule that may prohibit mixing of card backs. There is no restriction
against mixing Sabbat, Non-Camarilla, and Camarilla vampires in your
crypt.
1.4. Where can I discuss this game?
There are a number of forums for discussion of V:tES:

* The White Wolf Forums -
http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewforum.php?f=50
* The Yahoo V:TES group -
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vtes/
* rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad Newsreader link
* rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad on Google.com

There are a number of "Dead Horses" that get beaten every few
months
on these forums, you can get a quick grasp of them in the
Frequently
Offered Creative Suggestions file here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/vtes_focs.htm
* Mailing lists: The VTES-L and VTES-STRATEGY-L lists.
the command

SUBSCRIBE VTES-L FirstName LastName

in the body of the message (without any non-command lines, like
a signature, to confuse the listserver).

The VTES-STRATEGY-L list is very low volume, and most of the strategy
discussion occurs on the newsgroup or on the VTES-L. But subscribing
to the VTES-STRATEGY-L is very similar; simply replace "VTES-L" above
with "VTES-STRATEGY-L".

You can find an expanded list of regional web-based message boards
here: http://www.thelasombra.com/boards.htm.
1.5. Where can I find other people who play this game?
You can try asking on the various on-line forums (see section 1.4),
and there is an international registry of players on the official
V:TES web site: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/member.
1.6. Is there an official tournament calendar?
Yes, Oscar Garza puts all of the officially sanctioned V:EKN
tournaments on this calendar.

http://www.white-wolf.com/events/index.php?flag=vtes
1.7. Where can I sell my cards online / trade cards online?
To sell them, list your cards at one or more of the following places:
www.EBay.com Use the category of Vampire The Eternal Struggle (33055)
so that buyers can find your listing easily.

rec.games.trading-cards.marketplace.misc a Usenet newsgroup dedicated
to selling and trading CCGs.

You can trade with other people online at one or more of the following
places:
http://www.communal-haven.com/ The Communal Haven
List
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/
http://trade.mahasamatman.com/VTES/
1.8. Who are all of these people posting online?
Many of the people that have been active with promoting the game
online over the last
8+ years have answered an interview, and their answers are archived
here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/WhosWho/
1.9. How is vampire capacity costing designed, in general?
points = capacity

Adjustments:
-1 if cap <= 4
+1 for every 2 capacity (or fraction thereof) above 6.

Normal disciplines are worth 1 point, superiors are 2.
Titles are worth 0.5 points per vote; Priscus is worth 1.
+1 intercept is 1 point.
+1 strength is 1.5 points.
+1 bleed is 1.5 points.
+1 stealth is 2 points.
1.10. When is the next Storyline event being held?
The current storyline event, Millennium Cultists, is being held from
November 2006 thru January 2007.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=news&articleid=616
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=news&articleid=599
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtessecrets/cultists%20order%20form.pdf

A recent storyline activity was the Infernal Plague: The Return of
Nergal. Prior to that, the Infernal Plague tournament series
introduced Barbaro Luchese.

Prior storyline activities included the Prophecies League.
Its special rules are detailed here:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/league/

TheLambach's Legions Storyline tournaments were held in September of
2003.
Prior Storyline Events include the Fall 2002 Eye of Hazimel events,
and
the Spring 2002 Meddling of Semsith events.

2. Rules Questions
2.1. Where are the current rules and errata archives?
The current, up-to-date rules, clarifications, and errata are archived
on White Wolf's official V:TES site. The URL is
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html.
2.2. What was changed by the July 7 ("7/7") rulings?
On July 7, 1998, a new listing of errata was issued, which made many
changes to cards that had been considered by many to be unbalanced or
broken. Among those cards changed were:

* Return to Innocence
* Tomb of Ramses III
* Thoughts Betrayed
* Mind Rape

The archives listed in section 2.1 do contain these "7/7" rulings, but
you may find it convenient to visit
http://www.TheLasombra.com/rules.htm, where the July 7, 1998 (and all
subsequent) rulings are archived seperately.

Most of the errata has been reprinted on the cards, with the correct
text, in Sabbat War, Final Nights, the Camarilla Edition, or in
Anarchs.
2.3. Where can I find the official tournament (V:EKN) rules?
The rules may be found at
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/veknRules.html
2.4. How do I get an answer to my rules questions?
If you can't find the answer among the official rules, errata, and
clarifications on the V:TES web site (see section 2.1), try searching
Google.com's archives of rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad. For example,
if you want to know whether Talbot's Chainsaw is a melee weapon, go to
Google then search on "talbot melee author:LSJ." Tacking "author:LSJ"
onto your search will probably yield the best results since L. Scott
Johnson ("LSJ") is the official V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf. Your
question has probably already been asked by someone else and answered
by LSJ. Doing your homework first saves you time since you won't have
to wait the day or so it takes for others to respond to a fresh query
on a stale subject. It is also a wise idea to "sort by date" so you
get the most recent posts on any given subject. Occasionally there are
card errata or rulings reversals that may post-date the "most
relevant" search results. If you still can't find the answer, try
posting a question to one of the on-line discussion forums. The
question will likely be answered within a day.

There are three new search tools to help you find answers to your
rules questions.
http://ashheap.storageannex.com/googlesearch.htm
and
http://www.thelasombra.com/search.htm
and
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings

Either of the first two search pages will allow you to search the
newsgroup, the entire web, or their specific websites for cards,
strategies, rulings on cards by LSJ, and more. The third will only
search the newsgroup for official rulings, and it also has an archive
of current rulings on the same page.
2.5. Are the answers I get to rules questions on the newsgroup
"official"?
The answers from L. Scott Johnson are official, since he is the
net-rep. Anyone else's answers are usually correct, but if you are
concerned that the answer be official, wait for LSJ to confirm the
answer given from a non-official source.
2.6. What are the "golden tenets"?
You may have seen this term floating around on one of the on-line
forums. The golden tenets are two rules from the "Sensible Players
Tournament Rules" designed by Adrian Sullivan (aka The Corrupter) and
added to the existing tournament rule set:

* No repeat actions. That is, no minion may attempt the same type
of action twice in the same turn.
* No vote pushing. Each Methuselah is allowed to play one
political action card for a vote per vote, including the card used to
call the vote, if any.

These rules were designed to make the play environment balanced, and
have in general succeeded. Though they were for years widely used
house rules, as of September 1, 1998 these are part of the official
tournament rules, and so apply in V:EKN tournaments.
2.7. Do I really have to play with all these rules and errata?
No, in your own group, you can play however you want to. However, at
tournaments, you may find that the rulings, errata and clarifications
are enforced.

Note that as of the release of Sabbat War, most of these are now in
the rulebook. Consult the online rulebook for any questions you may
have regarding the new rules.

http://www.white-wolf.com/VTES/rulebook/

These rules *must* be enforced at an official V:EKN tournament. But
you can ignore whatever you like in your own play group. Be aware,
though, that if you do ignore some of the basic rulings, any questions
you ask in any of the discussion forums (see section 1.4) may not
receive answers which work in your play group.
2.8. Is there an up-to-date version of the rulebook?
Yes. Look for it in the Legacies of Blood Starter Decks.
You can view the online rulebook here:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/.

2.9. What does [1.6.3.2] mean?
You will almost always see this in one of LSJ's postings. It is the
specific rule number in the updated rulebook which he is referencing
to answer a question.

2.10 Bloodlines introduces a lot of new terms and mechanics. Is there
a webpage that documents them all?
This webpage collects all of the new terms and rules mechanics that
are
being introduced with Bloodlines -
http://www.TheLasombra.com/newterms.htm.
There is also a PDF file of all the terms and rules introduced with
Bloodlines, here:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/downloads/BLRulesSheet.pdf
This rules supplement is also documented on White Wolf's site in HTML,
here:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/BLrules.html

(2.11) I have some questions about the Anarchs set. Is there a FAQ for
Anarchs?
Yes.
You can find it here: http://www.thelasombra.com/anarchs_faq.htm

(2.12) I have some questions about the Imbued. Is there a FAQ for the
Imbued?
Yes.
You can find it here: http://vtes-hunter-net.tripod.com/FAQ.htm

3. Specific Rules Questions
3.1. Is there a card limit?
No. See page 7 of the Sabbat War, Final Nights, Camarilla Edition or
Anarchs Rulebook, for this quote:

"There is no per-card limit to the number of duplicates of a given
card that
a player can include in either her library or crypt."

Jyhad was designed to be a game without card limits. However, there
are a number of people who play with card limits anyway, and the merit
of that style of play has been debated over the years. If you are
interested in seeing some of the discussions from this debate, it is
recommended that you look at Mark Langsdorf's archive of Jyhad
strategy posts at: http://www.io.com/~mlangsdo/RPGs/Jyhad/index.html.
3.2. How does aggravated damage work?

To burn a ready vampire with X blood, you must inflict X+2 damage, one
of which must be aggravated. Here's how that works:

* A vampire burns 1 blood to "heal" each point of normal damage
dealt to it. Note that "healing" damage is different from
"preventing" damage.
* A vampire is "wounded" if it has unhealed damage, is in torpor,
or is going to torpor.
* A vampire which cannot heal damage goes to torpor.
* A vampire cannot heal aggravated damage done to it.
* For each point of aggravated damage done to a wounded vampire,
that vampire must burn one blood to prevent destruction.
* A vampire which cannot prevent destruction is burned.

Also, there are two rulings which concern aggravated damage during
combat:

* - Additional damage inherits all of the properties of the base
damage (So the +1 damage from Lucky Blow is aggravated for Basilia).
* - The base damage does not inherit the properties of the
additional damage (So a Saturday Night Special with Dragon's Breath
Rounds does 1 normal plus 2 aggravated damage).

3.3. How does Trap / Undead Persistence work?
Trap
Combat
Only usable before range is determined on the first round of combat.
Each round of combat has a press, only usable to continue combat. This
continues until 3 rounds of combat pass with no cards played.

After you play this card, every round has a press to continue. This
press can be cancelled by another press played by you or the opposing
minion, but otherwise combat continues to another round. The three
rounds of combat with no cards played have to be consecutive. In the
third round with no cards played, there is not a press, and Trap's
effects discontinue.

Undead Persistence
Inferior: Prevent this vampire from going into torpor. This vampire
gets an optional press. When combat ends, or if 3 rounds of combat
pass with no cards played, this vampire is sent into torpor.

Unlike Trap, this card only provides one press. For any further
rounds of combat to occur, presses must be played as normal. The
Undeadly Persistent vampire is still wounded (see section 3.2); it
just does not go to torpor. So any aggravated damage dealt to the
vampire requires it to burn a blood to prevent destruction.
3.4. Ousting issues.
When your prey is ousted, no matter who is responsible for the
ousting, you gain 1 victory point. You also gain 6 pool, unless you
would be ousted without that 6 pool. This second part only becomes
confusing when multiple Methuselahs are ousted with the same action
(otherwise you always gain 6 pool and a victory point when your prey
is ousted). Each of those Methuselahs who is still alive gains 6
pool. For example, player A calls a Conservative Agitation, ousting
his prey, B, and
B's prey, C. Player A gets a victory point and 6 pool. Player B
simply gains a victory point. Since she was ousted, she does not gain
the 6 pool. No one gets the six pool from the ousting of player C.

Note: If your prey is ousted on your turn, the next player becomes
your new prey immediately, and you may bleed (and take any actions
referring to your "prey") against that person immediately.
3.5. Can Rötschreck still be played...
Can Rötschreck still be played at long range while the reacting minion
declares an aggravated hand strike?

No. Cannot be used if the "attempt to use aggravated damage" is not
applicable at the current range. The most common example is an
aggravated hand strike done at long range.

Can I play a Rotschrek if I am attempting to do 0 aggravated hand
damage?
No.

Minion A announced his Ivory Bow as a strike, and the opposing Minion
B played Blood Rage. Can Rötschreck be played on Minion B?
Yes.
Blood Rage does not resolve before the Strike Announcement phase,
which is when you play Rotschreck, so Rotschreck can still be played.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion plays a Strike:
Combat Ends?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, not
whether or not the strike will successfully resolve.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion is treating
aggravated damage as normal damage? What if they played a Skin of
Night, Armor of Terra, or Adaptability?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, not
whether or not the vampire receiving the damage can prevent it or
treat it as normal damage.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion has a Flak
Jacket, Leather Jacket, or some other way to prevent the damage?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, and
the damage resolution stage is never reached.
3.6. Can Bonding be played on a non-bleed action?
No. You may not play superior Bonding on a non-bleed action just to
get the stealth. In general, you may only play action modifiers which
are appropriate to the action.
3.7. Can stolen blood be used to heal damage?
Yes and no. In combat, the order is as follows:

* Strikes are declared.
* Modifications to strikes (if any) are declared.
* Strikes resolve, and damage is dealt, but no damage is healed or
prevented until the next step. So excess stolen blood drains off now.
* Damage is resolved, and now damage can be prevented, and
unprevented damage can be healed.

So if you play Theft of Vitae to get more blood on a vampire than that
vampire's capacity, that excess blood is lost before it can be used to
heal damage.
3.8. When can I play Wolf Claws?
You may play Wolf Claws (or Claws of the Dead, etc.) to make your hand
damage aggravated any time before that strike resolves. So you can
play it at the beginning of a round, as you declare the strike, or
between the declaration of (both) strikes and the resolution of those
strikes. In other words, you can wait to see what your opponent plays
for her strike before deciding whether to play Wolf Claws.
3.9. How does Madness Network work?
Madness Network allows Malkavians to take actions during other
players' minion phases. It doesn't change any of the rules regarding
those actions, though.

The acting minion can play an action card [1.6.3.1] and action
modifiers [1.6.3.2]. Reaction cards can be played by ready untapped
minions in response to "an action taken by another Methuselah's
minion" [1.6.3.5]

Your minions cannot play reaction cards on an action taken by one of
your minions. [1.6.3.5]

So if a Malkavian acts during another Methuselah's minion phase, the
Predator and Prey of the Malkavian may still attempt to block. All
minions not belonging to the Malkavian's Methuselah may react to the
Malkavian's action including the Methuselah whose actual turn it is.

Malkavians (and minion vampires in general) cannot play Master cards
at all. Only Methuselahs can play master cards, and they can play
out-of-turn masters only "during another player's turn" [1.6.2.3]
3.10. If I forget to gain one pool for the edge during my untap, can I
still get it?
According to section 4 in the rulebook, you *may* gain one pool for
the edge during your untap. This means it's not mandatory, and if you
forget you cannot later take the pool. Most playgroups don't enforce
this rule, and usually allow you to take the pool unless it's someone
else's turn entirely. But don't be surprised to see it enforced in
tournament play.
3.11. Paying blood for rescues from torpor.
Section 6.5.3 specifically states :

"To have a vampire rescue a vampire from torpor, announce the action
(including how the cost will be paid) and tap the acting vampire."

So you must announce which part of the blood costs will be paid from
which vampires as part of announcing the action. If you are rescuing
someone else's vampire, you may choose to have them pay the blood for
the action, and they will have to block the action to keep that from
happening.
3.12. When can I play Deflection / Redirection / My Enemy's Enemy /
Telepathic Misdirection?

You may play the bleed bounce cards:
when the bleed is announced.
after a stealth card is played.
after a bleed modifier is played.
after a card is played that makes the action
unblockable.
after a declaration that you will not block.
after someone else bounces the bleed to you.

3.13. What does "Requires" mean?
A lot of minion cards (like Legacy of Power, 5th,2nd Tradition, est.)
"Require" of you to have a vampire with a certain "ability", like
being
a Prince or Justicar, or a vamp of a specific generation
(Atonement)...
Does that mean that you only have to control a vampire that fulfills
those requirements?

No.
It means that only a vampire that fits those requirements may play the
card.

Treat "requires" as "only playable by" and you will understand it
better.

3.14 When can Fida'i untap?
Reading the text it would seem that an Assamite with a capacity above
6 can untap the Fida'i at any time. Does this untap ability apply only
to the untap phase or can they be untapped at anytime during your
turn?

To which the Design Team responded:
An Assamite with a capacity above six can only untap a Fida'i during
the untap phase.
Sorry the wording doesn't show that more clearly.

Fida'i have received the following errata:
Independent: Fida'i do not untap as normal during the untap phase.
[During your untap phase,] any ready Assamite you control with
capacity
above 6 can burn 1 blood to untap this Fida'i. Fida'i are not unique
and do not contest. (Blood Cursed)
3.15 What does "Played" mean?
Certain effects in the game are only triggered by a card being
"played".
For example, only one Ancient Influence political action card may be
"played"
per game, or Akhenaten can "play" Necromancy cards as a vampire.
When is a card "played"?

The only time a card is considered "played" is when you move it from
your
hand to either the ash heap or into play on one of your other cards or
into
play by itself.

A Master card is "played" when you announce it, and is either put into
the
ash heap or into play on a minion or into play as a card in play.
Neither taking an action based on that Master card nor gaining
benefits from
the text of that Master card is "playing" the card, simply "using" the
card.

A Minion card is "played" when you announce it, and it is either put
into the
ash heap or into play on a minion or into play as a card.
Neither taking an action based on that Minion card nor gaining
benefits from
the text of that Minion card is "playing" the card, simply "using" the
card.

A card is considered to have been "played" even if its effects are
cancelled
by Direct Intervention.

Example 1: Akhenaten can "play" an Ex Nihilo necromancy action card.
The card is put on him, and has no further effect on Akhenaten as he
is only a
vampire while "playing" the card, not while the card is in the game or
while
the card is on him.
Example 2: An Ancient Influence is attempted by Raven and a Direct
Intervention is played on the card. No other Ancient Influence votes
can be
called that game because the first one was "played", only
the effects and card text were cancelled.
Example 3: A bleeding action is not blocked and Gloria Giovanni
attempts
to increase the bleed with Conditioning. If the Conditioning card is
cancelled
by Direct Intervention, she can play other action modifiers to
increase the
bleed, but cannot play another Conditioning because she has already
"played"
one on this action.
(See the definition of action modifiers in section 1.6.3.2
of the online rulebook.)

3.16 What does "Hand Strike" mean?
Immortal Grapple restricts both minions in the combat to only using
"hand strikes". What is a "hand strike" and what is not?

A "hand strike" is any non-ranged, non-weapon strike that deals damage
based
on the striking minion's strength.

Example 1: Song in the Dark is not a "hand strike" because it doesn't
do damage
based on a minion's strength.
Example 2: Burning Wrath is a "hand strike" because it does damage
based
on the minion's strength.
Example 3: The default strike from a Muddled Vampire Hunter is a "hand
strike"
because it is a non-ranged damage-dealing innate strike.

Example 4: No strike that says "Dodge" or "Combat Ends" is a "hand
strike".
3.17 What is "environmental damage" versus "damage from a minion"?
Five cards require you to determine where damage comes from to
determine their
effect. Blood of Acid, Disarm, Memories of Mortality, Pulled Fangs,
and Rotschreck require
you to know if damage was inflicted "by a minion" or if it was caused
by another
source.

Damage is only considered to have come from a minion if the damage is
from
a strike or if an effect specifically states that the damage is dealt
by the
minion. Damage from other effects is considered "environmental", and
has no
particular source.

Damage done by retainers or cards like Carrion Crows and Weather
Control are
not considered to be "damage from a minion", therefore they are
usually
referred to as "environmental" damage.

All damage from a strike is "inflicted" by the striking minion.
All damage whose card text says that the minion "inflicts" the damage
is inflicted by the minion.

All other damage is environmental damage.
All cards that inflict such damage are cards that inflict
environmental damage.

3.18 What does "Same Action" mean?
Certain cards like Obedience, Change of Target, and Red Herring
prohibit you
from taking the "same action" again this turn. What does "same action"
mean
in these cases?

For these cards, the "same action" will either be one of the basic
cardless
actions (ie hunt, bleed, rescue from torpor, commit diablerie, leave
torpor)
or a specific action by the title of the card used to take the action
(ie call
a specific vote, equip with a specific piece of equipment, employ a
specific
retainer, recruit a specific ally, bleed with a particular action
card).

Note: This is different than the "no repeat actions" rule, see 3.19.

3.19 What is the "NRA" or "No Repeat Actions" rule?
The NRA or "No Repeat Actions rule" was a rule instituted by the
Vampire: Elder
Kindred Network for tournament play with constructed decks (ie
non-draft
non-sealed tournaments). It has since become a part of the base rules
for the game.

The new base rules incorporate a variation of the No Repeat Actions
special floor
rule from the V:EKN tournament rules. Instead of restricting repeats
by (a sometimes
difficult to define) type, a minion cannot

* bleed twice in a turn
* take a political action twice in a turn
* use the same action card twice in a turn
* take the action allowed by a card in play twice in a turn

by the new rules, with no restrictions on, for example, hunting or
equipping
(assuming the minion can untap, of course). The last item (card in
play) includes
any special ability the minion may have.

As equipment cards (and retainers, and allies) all count as action
cards, you may
take multiple equip minion actions with the same minion on any given
turn,
but they cannot be the same piece of equipment.
You can: Equip with a Sport Bike, Untap, Equip with a .44 Magnum.
You cannot: Equip with a .44 Magnum, Untap, Equip with a second .44
Magnum.

An action is only considered to have been taken if it resolves by
either being
blocked or by being successful.

A minion that initiates an action but that action is taken over by
another with
Mask of a Thousand Faces is not considered to have taken that action
and is not
prohibited from taking that action later in the turn.

An action that is cancelled by Direct Intervention on the card used to
begin
the action is not considered to have been taken, but the card is
considered to
have been played. A minion may immediately take the same action or
same type
of action even though the Direct Intervention was played with the NRA
rule.

Example 1: A vampire who bleeds his controller's prey via Computer
Hacking,
then untaps via Freak Drive, cannot perform any bleeding action again,
of any
kind whatsoever, in that same turn.
Example 2: A vampire who takes a Govern the Unaligned action at
superior
to move 3 blood to an uncontrolled vampire, then untaps via Freak
Drive, may
not use another Govern the Unaligned card to bleed that turn. That
vampire may
bleed with any other card or without a card, just not with Govern the
Unaligned.

3.20 How do Malleable Visage and Obedience interact?
As the controller of the acting minion, you have the first option to
play
effects when an action is blocked. If you play Malleable Visage once
the block
is determined to be successful, your vampire with vicissitude will
enter combat
with the blocking minion. Obedience cannot be played in response to
Malleable
Visage because the vampire using the Malleable Visage is not an acting
minion
and Obedience can only be used against an acting minion.

You cannot play Malleable Visage after the reacting vampire has played
Obedience as there will not be any combat for the Malleable Visage
card to cancel.
3.21 Can I block with another minion if the first block fails (or if
the first block is "passed" by Form of Mist)?
Yes.
You may continue to attempt to block until all of your minions have
either
failed (through insufficient intercept) or until they have all been
prohibited from blocking (by Call of the Hungry Dead, Seduction,
Signet
of King Saul, Daring the Dawn, Command, Blanket of Night, Elder
Impersonation).
3.22 Is negative intercept/stealth possible? Can I block a 0-stealth
action if I have -1 intercept?
Negative values of intercept, stealth, strength, and bleed are all
possible.
There are a number of cards that reduce an opponent's values in one of
those
areas that can bring their total below zero. The most frequent time it
matters
is with -1 intercept.
A number of cards will give an opposing minion -1 intercept (Miranda
Sanova,
Leon, Lucita, Call of the Hungry Dead, The Missing Voice) and this can
bring
their total intercept to a negative amount. A minion with a negative
intercept
amount cannot block an action at zero stealth.
The intercept amount must equal the stealth amount for a minion to be
able
to block.
3.23 Which vampires can cast votes in which referendums? Who can vote
when?
In general, all vampires may cast their votes in all referendums.
Specific card text is required to prohibit a specific vampire or a
specific
sect of vampires from voting. The only cards which prohibit sects of
vampires
from voting are as follows:
Closed Session
Private Audience
Cardinal Benediction
Investiture
and Bruce de Guy

In all other votes, every vampire that is not in torpor may cast their
votes in favor of or against the terms of the vote.
3.24 Do I have to burn a blood for Forced Awakening if I play a
reaction card and do not attempt to block?
Yes, you must burn a blood because you did not successfully block the
action.
If you play a Forced Awakening and do not block for any reason, you
are
required to burn one blood for failing to block.
3.25 What cards do I control, ie which cards leave play when I am
ousted?
You control your minions, ie your vampires and allies. All cards on
your
vampires and allies leave play when you do. Any master cards that you
played on another player will leave play unless they have specific
card
text specifying that control of that card has changed. Any minion
cards
that you played on another player's minions will stay in play.
Minion cards on minions are controlled by the controller of the
minion.
Cards that have changed controllers, via Succubus Club, Graverobbing,
or
any other card that specifies the controller of the card changing will
stay
in play until their controller is ousted.

Example 1: If you play a discipline card (or Fame or Haven Uncovered)
on another player's vampire, it will leave the game when you do.
Example 2: If you play a Lunatic Eruption on another player's vampire,
it will stay in the game until a successful action is taken to remove
it.
Example 3: If you Graverob a vampire that was brought into play by
your prey, it will not leave the game when you oust your prey, it will
stay
in the game until it is burned in combat, diablerized, or you are
ousted.
3.26 How does Torn Signpost work really? How does it interact with
other cards?
Torn Signpost post sets your base strength to either 2 (at inferior
potence)
or 3 (with superior potence). Any bonuses printed on the vampire will
add to
this base strength. Therefore a vampire with +1 strength (Richter) who
plays
Torn Signpost at superior will have a strength of 4 before adding in a
strike
card, or any other card that adds to strength. No matter how many Torn
Signposts you play, your base strength will either be 2 or 3, they do
not add
onto each other.

Fists of Death adds to your strength, so if you play 2 at superior,
you will
have a strength of 5 plus any other cards you may play. If you play
Torn
Signpost and Fists of Death at superior, you will have a strength of 5
and
can add to that with another Fists of Death, a Fire in the Blood,
Undead
Strength as your strike, or any other strike that increase the amount
of
damage you do based on your strength.

3.27 How does Charming Lobby work really?
Play Charming Lobby.
Announce a political action, either a card in your hand, or a vote in
play.
If unblocked, play the political action card from your hand, replace
it,
and proceed to the referendum.
If the vote passes, then with inferior presence, the next vote that is
called
(and not blocked) by any vampire, controlled by any player, passes
automatically.
If the Charming Lobby action is not blocked, and the acting vampire
has superior presence,
then that vampire has 2 additional votes to play in the first
referendum, and
if the vote passes, then the next vote that is called (and not
blocked) by any
vampire, controlled by any player, passes automatically.

3.28 Can I transfer myself out in a tournament?
Yes.

Players must play to win. If one has multiple paths to victory, then
one is free to choose from among those paths.

If one cannot win, then one is obliged to maximize one's VPs. If there
are multiple paths available to achieve the most VPs one can get,
then one is free to choose.

If one cannot win, and the most VPs one can acquire is "0 more
than currently acquired", then one is free to acquire those 0
more VPs in any manner one wishes.
3.29 What is the sect membership of my Embrace / Progeny / Creation
Rite vampire?
The new vampire will take the default sect membership of the Clan of
its sire.
Example 1: Lucita (Independent Lasombra) creates an Embrace. It will
be a Sabbat Lasombra.
Example 2: Tegyrius, Vizier (Camarilla Assamite) becomes a Prince and
uses
the Third Tradition: Progeny. That Progeny will be an Independent
Assamite.
Example 3: Anka, Priestess of Thorns (Sabbat Ravnos) becomes an
Archbishop and uses
Creation Rites. That vampire will be an Independent Ravnos.
See section 10 of the online rulebook for more information, and also
see section 10 for the default sect affiliation of all the clans and
bloodlines.

3.30 How does Possession interact with the No Repeat Actions rule?
A vampire that comes back into play via Possession is treated as a
completely different vampire
than the one that was burned. It will not regain any of the cards that
were played on it, ie retainers,
equipment, or master cards. It will not be restricted by any of the
actions that the other vampire
played before being burned. The vampire brought into play via
Possession may act immediately, and
does not have to wait until the next turn.

3.31 Can I use a card that requires me to block, to untap against an
action that is directed at someone else?
No.

Cards which require a block attempt as part of their untap effect (2nd
Tradition, Eternal Vigilance,
Speak with Spirits, Special Report, The Mole, Black Sunrise, Eluding
the Arms of Morpheus, Sense
the Savage Way) cannot be played if your vampires cannot block the
action. If you want to block
an action that is directed at someone else, you must first play an
Eagle's Sight or Falcon's Eye before
playing a card that untaps you and requires you to block. In other
words, you would first have to play a Wake
with Evening's Freshness or Forced Awakening, then play the Eagle's
Sight or Falcon's Eye to gain the
ability to block, then you could use the untap and block cards.

3.32 How does Taste of Vitae work, really?
Taste of Vitae is not a strike card, therefore its effects will work
without regard to
the range of the combat. You may play Taste of Vitae at long range and
gain all of the
blood that your opponent lost to damage in that round of combat.
Taste of Vitae only counts the blood lost to damage, it does not count
the blood spent
paying for the cost of cards, nor will it count the blood lost to a
theft effect like
Darkness Within or Theft of Vitae. Taste of Vitae will not count blood
lost to burn
blood effects like Blood to Water. Taste of Vitae will count blood
lost to damage done
by retainers (Murder of Crows), environmental effects (Weather
Control, Carrion Crows),
the strikes of both minions, and any other blood lost to damage
effects during that round
of combat. Taste of Vitae cannot be used in combat with an ally.

3.33 Can Theft of Vitae be used against an ally or retainer?
Yes.

Theft of Vitae will steal the life counters from an ally the same way
it will steal
the blood counters from a vampire. Assuming you are at the correct
range to target
the retainer (ie, long range), Theft of Vitae can also be used to
steal the life counters
from that retainer.

3.34 When can I burn the Temptation counters to take control of a
vampire?
During your minion phase, if the number of counters on this card
equals or exceeds the amount of blood on that vampire,
you may burn all the counters on this card to untap that vampire and
take control of him or her until the end of your turn.
This means that you may do it when they are attempting to block one of
your actions and are playing intercept
(doing so will end the block attempt), when they are in combat with
one of your vampires (doing so will end the combat),
and between or during any of the actions you take on the turn where
the requirements are met.

3.35 Which vampires are titled?
Which vampires have fewer votes in a Free States Rant vote?
Sabbat titles:
Bishop
Archbishop
Priscus
Cardinal
Regent

Camarilla titles:
Primogen
Prince
Justicar
Inner Circle

Independent titles:
1 vote
2 votes
3 votes
Liaison

Anarch titles:
Baron

Laibon titles:
Magaji
Kholo

These are only for cards that come into play with their titles.
Any other card that grants votes must explicitly state that it
is granting a title for the votes to count as a title.

Is a vampire "titled" if he has votes from Ancestor Spirit, Black Hand
Emissary,
Bloodbath, Firebrand, Foundation Exhibit, Kduva's Mask, Legacy of
Pander,
Legendary Vampire, Political Struggle, or Ventrue Directorate
Assembly?

Not unless they have (or gain) one of the titles listed above.

Also see section 10 of the rulebook:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/

3.36 How does my Influence phase work?
This is covered in Section 7 of the VTES Rulebook, but here are the
key points:

During your influence phase you may spend your transfers as follows:

* Spend one transfer to move 1 blood counter from your pool to a
vampire in your uncontrolled region.
* Spend two transfers to move 1 blood counter from a vampire in your
uncontrolled region to your pool.
* Spend four transfers and burn a pool to move a vampire from your
crypt to your uncontrolled region (drawing from the top, as always).

At the end of your influence phase, any vampire in your uncontrolled
region with a number of blood counters on him equal to (or more than)
his capacity becomes controlled.

The last sentence is most critical. Just because you have spent all of
your
transfers does not mean your influence phase immediately ends. For
example,
if you have an Arcane Library or Powerbase: Montreal in play with an
empty
crypt, you can spend four transfers to move a new vampire into your
crypt,
then use the Arcane Library or Powerbase: Montreal to add an
additional
blood to the new vampire (assuming it meets the criteria).

However, as has been noted, once you move vampires into your
controlled region, this signals the end of your Influence phase.

4. Organizational Questions
4.1. Who is the net-rep?
The current net-rep is L. Scott Johnson a.k.a. LSJ. He can be
contacted at vtesrep // AT \\ white-wolf.com.
4.1.1. Who is the Rules Team (RT)?
As per LSJ's post on rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad -

The Rules Team for VTES is composed of people who will remain
anonymous. The RT has members from different play groups from a total
of three continents. The protocol is discussion and playtesting among
the members of the playgroups and reports of findings via e-mail. The
topics for discussion are suggested by the Net.Rep (LSJ). Ideas for
playtesting are culled from the newsgroup (by LSJ) and/or suggested by
the members of the RT. Members of the RT are also free to add their
own topics of discussion (well, not at first since we had a full
itenerary already, but once the initial fixes were out of the way).

No one has any votes. Changes come by consensus.

The topics come from one or more of: the newsgroup/mailinglist,
private e-mail to me, or members of the RT. Mostly from the newsgroup.
The solutions may be "rarely" seen on the newsgroup prior to the RT
post, but the problems are almost always brought up on the newsgroup
prior to being discussed by the RT.
4.2.1 What is V:EKN?
V:EKN stands for Vampire: Elder Kindred Network, and it is the
official Jyhad player's organization. You can find out much more
about this organization by visiting their website at
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=vekn.
4.2.2 What is NJL?
NJL stands for National Jyhad League, and was another players'
organization that originated in Michigan (it used to be the MJL).
4.3. Who writes the clan newsletters? Can I write a newsletter?
The clan newsletters are published to the newsgroup monthly. They are
written by players who want to share strategy tips, talk about events,
or just plug their favorite clan. To find out more or to volunteer to
write your own newsletter, contact Peter Bakija - pd...@lightlink.com.

A Selective Archive of the newsletters can be found here:
http://www.TheLasombra.com/newsletter.htm.

There is a mailing list of for the Clan Newsletters so that they can
be delivered directly to your email box without using the newsgroup or
viewing a webpage. Sign up here:
4.4. When's the next expansion coming out?
Keepers of Tradition has been announced for a November 2008 release.

Twilight Rebellion was released on May 31, 2008.

Blood Shadowed Court was released April 15th, 2008.

Lords of the Night was released September 26th, 2007.

Sword of Caine was released on March 19th, 2007.

The Third Edition of the Sabbat set was released on September 4th,
2006

Nights of Reckoning was released on April 10th, 2006.
http://download.white-wolf.com/download/download.php?file_id=440
Nights of Reckoning also has its own news article:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=news&articleid=357

Legacies of Blood was released November 14th, 2005.

Kindred Most Wanted was released February 21, 2005.

Two 10th Anniversay Set collectors tins were released in December
2004.

The Gehenna expansion was released in May 2004.
An ad for Gehenna appears in the back of the Black Hand Rulebook, and
http://www.thelasombra.com/images/gehenna.jpg.

A Black Hand expansion was released November 17, 2003.
You can find more information about it here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/blackhandrelease.txt

An Anarchs set was released May 19, 2003, further information is here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/anarchs.txt

The new "Camarilla Edition" set was released on August 19th, 2002.
The press release is here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/camarilla_edition.txt
White Wolf has started previewing the Camarilla Edition here:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Preview_Camarilla.html.

"Bloodlines" was released on December 3rd, 2001.
See Steve Wieck's announcements about it here:
http://www.thelasombra.com/bloodlines.txt.

Due to the success of Sabbat War, another expansion entitled 'Final
Nights' was released on June 11, 2001. Final Nights focuses on the 4
Independent Clans: Ravnos, Giovanni, Assamite, and Followers of Set.
Final Nights was reprinted in mid 2002.

"Sabbat War" - a re-release of the original Sabbat expansion with new
cards added was released in October 2000. Due to the overwhelming
demand, a second printing was released in January 2001. A third print
run of Sabbat War was released in mid 2002.

Check out the newsgroup and the Yahoo! club for the ongoing
discussion.
4.5. Can I play on-line?
George Fink's Jyhad On-Line is a play-by-email Jyhad system with a
web-based interface. Visit his web site
http://www.deckserver.net/jol/ for more info.

Lackey CCG has a plugin allowing V:TES to be played using their
interface.
Details here: http://www.lackeyccg.com/vtes/

Omael Rangel has set up WebVTES at http://www.tornsignpost.com/vtes/.

iVTES is another way to play online, using instant messaging software
and a robot. Find more about it here: http://ivtes.net/.

4.6 I heard WOTC no longer has control of VTES, and White Wolf now
does. Is this true?
Yes, and this has in fact revitalized V:TES. White Wolf currently
acknowledges V:EKN as the V:TES version of DCI and is actively
supporting the game with new cards and organization infrastructure.

You can read the full press release at
http://www.TheLasombra.com/pressrelease.txt

4.7 Where can I find a card list for any expansion?
White Wolf's website includes official interpretation of all of the
cards up through Gehenna. Card lists for all expansions can be found
on the VTES home page here: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/.

Other non-official sources to find card information :

* Monger (http://monger.vekn.org) - Online Searchable database of
all the cards in the game.
* Lasombra's Cardlists (http://www.TheLasombra.com/cardlists.htm)
* Archibald Zimonyi's Search Tools (http://www.vekn.nu/)

5. Credits / Acknowledgements
If you have any submissions or suggestions, please email the
maintainer at TheLa...@hotmail.com.

"Jyhad", "V:tES", "White Wolf", etc. are copyrighted terms/names and
are used with permission from Vampire: Elder Kindred Network.

Creator: James Hamblin
Interim Maintainer: Ethan Burrow
Current Maintainer: Jeffrey Thompson

Last Updated August 31st, 2008.