LSJ: Tattoo Signal, Burn Option and Non-ready Seraph

YY

Dec 2, 2009, 11:02:43 PM12/2/09
If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?

Tattoo Signal
Cardtype: Action
Clan:
Burn Option
+1 stealth action. Requires a Seraph.
Put this card on this acting Seraph. This ready Seraph may tap this
card to untap another Black Hand vampire. A minion may have only one
Tattoo Signal.

The Lasombra

Dec 2, 2009, 11:42:59 PM12/2/09
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:02:43 -0800 (PST), YY wrote:

>If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
>Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/

1.6.1.3
Requirements for Playing Cards.

Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon. This
icon means that a Methuselah who doesn't control a minion that meets
the requirements may discard the card during any Methuselah's untap
phase. Each Methuselah is limited to one such discard each untap
phase.

-----

Notice that this appears to be a change from the Bloodlines rules
sheet.
http://www.thelasombra.com/rules/BLRulesSheet.pdf
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/BLrules.html

3.2. Burn (Discard) Option
This symbol (only found on cards that require a clan to play)
indicates that during any Methuselah�s untap phase, the Methuselah can
burn (discard) the card from his or her hand if he or she doesn�t
control a ready member of the clan required. Each Methuselah is
limited to one such discard each untap phase.

YY

Dec 3, 2009, 12:31:14 AM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 12:42 pm, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:02:43 -0800 (PST), YY wrote:
> >If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
> >Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/
>
> 1.6.1.3
> Requirements for Playing Cards.
>
> Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon. This
> icon means that a Methuselah who doesn't control a minion that meets
> the requirements may discard the card during any Methuselah's untap
> phase. Each Methuselah is limited to one such discard each untap
> phase.

Call me thick, but I still can't quite see this clearly.
So I *cannot* use the Burn Option to discard Tattoo Signal if I
control a non-ready Seraph and no other Seraphs?

-YY

LSJ

Dec 3, 2009, 6:55:09 AM12/3/09
YY wrote:
> If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
> Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?

Yes. You have no minion that meets the requirements of the card.

John Flournoy

Dec 3, 2009, 11:15:32 AM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 5:55 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> YY wrote:
> > If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
> > Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?
>
> Yes. You have no minion that meets the requirements of the card.

But he does, according to the rules; as Lasombra notes elsewhere in
the thread, the wording in the rulebook is: "a Methuselah who doesn't
control a minion that meets the requirements may discard the card

during any Methuselah's untap phase."

The fact that his Seraphs are not ready doesn't factor into how the
rule is worded; he controls a minion that meets the requirements, so
he can't discard his Tattoo Signal.

Is this rule _intended_ to still be "ready" as it was when first
printed in Bloodlines?

LSJ

Dec 3, 2009, 11:19:20 AM12/3/09
John Flournoy wrote:
> On Dec 3, 5:55 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> YY wrote:
>>> If all the Seraphs I control are currently in torpor, can I discard
>>> Tattoo Signal using the Burn Option?
>> Yes. You have no minion that meets the requirements of the card.
>
> But he does, according to the rules;

It is an action => it requires a ready minion. [6.1] [6.5.1]

Juggernaut1981

Dec 3, 2009, 7:16:43 PM12/3/09

The Burn Option rule is INTENDED to basically say "If you can't use
it, you can dump it". Even though it's formatting allows it to be
misconstrued.

Abdul alHazred

Dec 4, 2009, 9:24:56 AM12/4/09

> 1.6.1.3
> Requirements for Playing Cards.

> Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon. This

> icon means that a Methuselah who doesn't control a minion that meets

> the requirements may discard the card during any Methuselah's untap

> phase. Each Methuselah is limited to one such discard each untap
> phase.

Wouldnt it be better to rephrase the rule and substitute the words
"control a" with "have a ready" to avoid misunderstandings?
Or is the intention of the phrasing with controlled that you want to
make a difference between mastercards and minioncards So that you need
to discard burn-option mastercards (like tabriz assembly) in a regular
discard phase action if all your vampires that meet that specific
requirement are torporized?

LSJ

Dec 4, 2009, 9:44:22 AM12/4/09
Abdul alHazred wrote:
>> 1.6.1.3
>> Requirements for Playing Cards.
>> Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon. This
>> icon means that a Methuselah who doesn't control a minion that meets
>> the requirements may discard the card during any Methuselah's untap
>> phase. Each Methuselah is limited to one such discard each untap
>> phase.
>
> Wouldnt it be better to rephrase the rule and substitute the words
> "control a" with "have a ready" to avoid misunderstandings?

No. Not all cards require a ready thing, e.g., High Aye/Orun, Transcendent
Laibon, Council of Seraphim, etc.

> Or is the intention of the phrasing with controlled that you want to
> make a difference between mastercards and minioncards So that you need
> to discard burn-option mastercards (like tabriz assembly) in a regular
> discard phase action if all your vampires that meet that specific
> requirement are torporized?

A master card's requirement, if it has one, includes "ready". [1.6.1.3]