Survey: What Do You Want in a Storyline Kit?

echia...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2010, 12:23:42 AM11/10/10
As a corollary to my survey about promos, what do people want to see
in a storyline kit? (Please bear in mind that our resources are
limited due to the current state of White Wolf / CCP regarding VTES).

#1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

#2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

#3. Around how much should a Limited storyline kit cost (including
draft materials)? How many draft packs should be included per player?

(For reference, and it took *a lot* of scrounging to dig up the
necessary details!):

Battle Lines (5 players @ $15)
Eden's Legacy (5 players @ $10)
Anarchs & Alastors (5 players @ $8)
Millennium Cultist (5 players @ $7.50)

Return of Nergal (10 players @ $15)
Lambach's Legion (10 players @ $10)

*** Standard Tournament Kit (12 players @ $12)
Infernal Plague (12 players @ $12)

Rise of the Imperator (10 players @ $30)

Prophecies League (20 players @ $30)

#4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
- Promos
- Booster Packs
- Starter Decks
- Blood Shadowed Court Set
- Older Storyline Stuff
- Demo Decks

Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

With regards,
Eric Chiang
VTES Storyline Coordinator

Juggernaut1981

Nov 10, 2010, 12:39:21 AM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 4:23 pm, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Players to a kit:
I'd like to see either 5 or 10. They are nice multiples, most of the
time you want tables of 5+, you aren't buying giant wads of spare
cards is your group isn't a neat multiple of 15 or 20, etc.

Limited or Constructed:
I'd honestly prefer to have them treated as Constructed with rules in
advance. If there is going to be some kind of Drafting/Limited type
format, I don't think I'd get good attendance.

Loot in Kits:
Goodies. Sure, getting a booster or two is nice, but most of the
organisers can potentially get anywhere between a few and LOTS to dish
out at the end, or before, as loot. But honestly, I want GOODIES. I
want "hold in my hand" bragging rights. "Imperator" blood counters
(with Imperator across the middle), a VEKN Edge with "Winner Imperator
Storyline" on it and so forth.

Promo cards are nice, but I always want promos to go out to the
majority of players. So if there are going to be Promo-only cards
they should come out in a couple of ways:

#1 Vampires & Unique Cards: at most 1 per player per kit
#2 Non-Unique Stuff (e.g. Wind Dance, Abactor, etc): at least 1 per
player per kit but never just 1 non-unique card (so two players can
swap them over to build up their own stash... e.g. I'll take your
Abactor for this Wind Dance...)
#3 Obviously only worth putting in the Storyline: at most 1 per player
per kit

Jyhad

Nov 10, 2010, 1:55:24 AM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 12:23 am, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> As a corollary to my survey about promos, what do people want to see
> in a storyline kit? (Please bear in mind that our resources are
> limited due to the current state of White Wolf / CCP regarding VTES).
>
> #1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

10 should be good. That way only two kits can cover 20 possible
players. I rarely see anything over 15 that isn't Qualifier related.

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

Keep things around Lambach's price range. Keep it simple.

> #3. Around how much should a Limited storyline kit cost (including
> draft materials)? How many draft packs should be included per player?

Not sure, I'd bother with a Limited Event.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
>       - Promos

Yes
>       - Booster Packs
Variety would be key. If at all.
>       - Starter Decks
Not necessary for a Storyline in my opinion.

>       - Blood Shadowed Court Set

No
>       - Older Storyline Stuff
No.
>       - Demo Decks
No.

A minor token that can represent the fact that person Y Won Storyline
X.

Asnek

Nov 10, 2010, 4:24:47 AM11/10/10

prizes that were presented before are quite great. big deal that i see
is shipping. I'm organising storilines for 10-15 players so i have to
buy 1-3 sets always. prize is almost alwas the same. problem is
shiping... for kits costing like 15 E i have to pay another fee for
shiping like 20-30 E. i believe that it will definitely help if there
kits could be distributed with mass support for tournaments like EC
qualifiers.

your questions direct answers:
1 - kit size - support for 5 and 10 players. both option should be
available. this makes variety really great and orginiser doesn't end
up with 3/4 of kit spare as there were only 12 playes not 20...
2 - kit cost - prizes around 10 USD/E for a kit is quite fine. prize
of 1-1,5 E per player is acceptable
3 - draft ST - in fact i dont see reason for this kits. here around
noone is interested in playing drafts or other limited formats. we got
one limited event per year (my birthday tournament) and even for this
event is attendance limited (average 5-7 players)
4 - prizes
promos definitively and in variety even some old promos if they are
available like medlings or eye of hazimels
boosters definitevely as well
maybe some othere stuff like Tshirt for a winer and similar could be
interesting as well

YY

Nov 10, 2010, 4:24:50 AM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 1:23 pm, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> As a corollary to my survey about promos, what do people want to see
> in a storyline kit? (Please bear in mind that our resources are
> limited due to the current state of White Wolf / CCP regarding VTES).
>
> #1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

5 players. It's a nice number (maximum reasonable for a single table),
and not too big a kit to turn off the smaller playgroups.

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

If it can be kept below USD3 per player, that would be nice. I think a
maximum of USD6 per player is acceptable for most players.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
>       - Promos
>       - Booster Packs
>       - Starter Decks
>       - Blood Shadowed Court Set
>       - Older Storyline Stuff
>       - Demo Decks

Boosters and starters are more relevant to standard tournaments, I
feel.
I think Juggernaut's idea for special "bragging rights" items are
good. Of course, back to what was suggested in another thread about
what we would like to see from the Storyline Events, a chance to
significantly affect the local storyline would be a nice touch.

> Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> With regards,
> Eric Chiang
> VTES Storyline Coordinator

Keep up the good work, Eric!

Cheers.

-YY

Peter D Bakija

Nov 10, 2010, 9:12:50 AM11/10/10
In article
<98361ff3-7b48-46a8...@j2g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
"echia...@yahoo.com" <echia...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> #1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

Kits for groups of 5 are optimal.

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

Say, like, $5-$7.50 for a pack that supports 5 players. Or less if there
aren't new cards being actually produced.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
> - Promos
> - Booster Packs
> - Starter Decks
> - Blood Shadowed Court Set
> - Older Storyline Stuff
> - Demo Decks

For a given 5 player pack, a booster pack for a prize and some promos
would be good. If you end up with 15 players, you get enough promos for
everyone and a handful of boosters as a prize.

I don't think you need a ton of boosters being sent out in storyline
support packs--if folks want more boosters, they can always get them on
the retail level. But in the name of having something to distribute for
such an event and getting promos out, say, 5 bucks for a stack of a
booster and 15 promos (3 each for 5 players) seems completely reasonable
for my money.

Peter D Bakija
pd...@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"
-Gaff

Curevei

Nov 10, 2010, 2:01:12 PM11/10/10

5

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

Realistically? $10-15. $2-3 per person is trivial if the rewards
have meaningful value. I personally don't care if it cost $20+, but
I'm sure people I play with would.

> #3. Around how much should a Limited storyline kit cost (including
> draft materials)? How many draft packs should be included per player?

If you include draft packs, the question is mostly about how many
packs to include since the rest should probably be similar to a
constructed event. Packs should be $1.50-$1.75 each, otherwise people
could just bring their own. Then, including packs means deciding what
people are going to be playing, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'd
imagine that the supply of boosters is wildly uneven.

> Millennium Cultist (5 players @ $7.50)
>
> Return of Nergal (10 players @ $15)

One reason I didn't like the Cultist event was that the value of what
you got from the event was so low. I couldn't convince people to play
with the Nergal deck, moved at least one Nergal deck but no Cultist
decks, so the Cultist deck was useless. Rev. Adams, playable promo
version, is awful.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
>       - Promos

Nonunique promos, such as alternate art, no art, all art, black &
white, different layout - yes. Unique promos - no. Unique promos are
a pox on CCGs, leading to increased imbalances and often being even
more poorly designed than normal cards. Okay, one exception for a
game like this where it doesn't matter much - advanced versions of
crap vampires, especially group 1 vampires.

>       - Booster Packs

No. Easy to get oneself.

>       - Starter Decks

No. Easy to get oneself.

>       - Blood Shadowed Court Set

No. Easy to get oneself - we even saw these in a local store.

>       - Older Storyline Stuff

Probably. Helps decrease the promo distribution imbalances that so
often arise.

>       - Demo Decks

No. I have a number of these I do nothing with.

What I'd like to see are: cloth playmats, my Ultimate Combat! playmat
is still the best prize I've ever won as I actually use it (unlike the
black belt); other interesting accessories such as interesting
counters, edges that fit into a reasonable amount of space (I can't
use the transparent edge because it's too big), cards that represent
attributes a la the Corruption/Anarch cards; certificates to enable
players to design or become cards, which admittedly these days is
troublesome but should have been prizes in the past.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Let's see, deck boxes? No, too
big. T-shirts? In general, yuck. I can see them not being useless
if the designs weren't embarrassing, but as the not old discussion on
the UK forum indicates, even wearable shirts aren't that interesting.
Messenger bags, et al? Um, no - useless. Pins? Fairly useless. In
terms of anything to wear, the only thing I might "wear" is a business
card sized card, such as a card that shows my rating level. Such
doesn't mean anything since we don't have rating levels, but point
ranges could correspond to levels - Neonate, Ancilla, etc. - where new
cards could be issued each time someone ranks up.

Satrapa

Nov 12, 2010, 6:53:08 PM11/12/10
On 10 Lis, 06:23, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As a corollary to my survey about promos, what do people want to see
> in a storyline kit? (Please bear in mind that our resources are
> limited due to the current state of White Wolf / CCP regarding VTES).
>
> #1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

5 since it is the optimal number of players for a game. Lot of
storyline tournaments was 1 table ones.

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

It depends on the content. I would say that 1-2$ per player would be
the best (again depending on content)

> #3. Around how much should a Limited storyline kit cost (including
> draft materials)? How many draft packs should be included per player?

*Please bear in mind that our resources are limited*
It is the key for the answer. Price should be similar to Constructed
storyline kit since content should be limited.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
>       - Promos

I like idea of Promo cards but It would be best if it would have more
collectible value than in game one so if new promo cards would be
introduced it should be imho reprints with different pic or similar
stuff. If it is possible since no new expansion will be introduced it
would be awesome to use promo cards to finish groups (at least for
bloodlines) - it the only thing I would consider good if new cards
would be introduced as promo cards.
>       - Older Storyline Stuff
It would be good to have second chance to gain some of this cards.

Satrapa

salem

Nov 12, 2010, 9:56:25 PM11/12/10
echia...@yahoo.com wrote:

> As a corollary to my survey about promos, what do people want to see
> in a storyline kit? (Please bear in mind that our resources are
> limited due to the current state of White Wolf / CCP regarding VTES).
>

> #1. How many players should a storyline kit support?

5

> #2. Around how much should a Constructed storyline kit cost?

$2 per player max

> #3. Around how much should a Limited storyline kit cost (including
> draft materials)? How many draft packs should be included per player?

I couldn't say. I'm not familiar enough with draft.

> #4. What would you like to see in the kits (i.e. as prize support)? In
> particular, what are your thoughts regarding:
> - Promos
> - Booster Packs
> - Starter Decks
> - Blood Shadowed Court Set
> - Older Storyline Stuff
> - Demo Decks

promos and boosters. Not starter decks. Older storyline stuff yes.

NO cards that are only usable during that storyline. The Nergal deck is
useless now, it doesn't even make a good display object on a shelf in your
games room.

Although I guess if we're not printing anything new, that shouldn't be a
problem.

But as Juggers said, unique non-card stuff, that's still vtes related.
Counters (pool and edge), card boxes, etc. anything that you'd normally have
lying around a game room/table, but specifically built for that storyline
etc.

For example, if you had a standard constructed storyline, but based around
electing the new sabbat regent, you could have a special metal deck box,
with the art from the Regent master card (if available), and the slogan
"2010 Sabbat Regent" or something along it.

Also please note, calling storylines by season and year is confusing for us
southern hemispherians. so "spring 2011" should just be "2nd quarter 2011"
or whatever. I know it's not hard to work it out, but it'd be the
acknowledgement that the vekn is actively conscious of it being a global
game that would be appreciated.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Juggernaut1981

Nov 14, 2010, 1:26:17 AM11/14/10
> I'm sure I'm forgetting something.  Let's see, deck boxes?  No, too
> big.  T-shirts?  In general, yuck.  I can see them not being useless
> if the designs weren't embarrassing, but as the not old discussion on
> the UK forum indicates, even wearable shirts aren't that interesting.
> Messenger bags, et al?  Um, no - useless.  Pins?  Fairly useless.  In
> terms of anything to wear, the only thing I might "wear" is a business
> card sized card, such as a card that shows my rating level.  Such
> doesn't mean anything since we don't have rating levels, but point
> ranges could correspond to levels - Neonate, Ancilla, etc. - where new
> cards could be issued each time someone ranks up.

Actually, I think it wouldn't be too bad to have a special pin like an
Imperator Pin (not a badge with a long needle like a safety-pin
needle, but a Pin like those you get for Legacy Day or Daffodil Day or
similar with the spike and the little circular clamp on the back).

You can easily stick it into your VTES bag (since I'm sure we all have
a bag of some sort we take to these events) and it wouldn't be too
expensive. Similar things could be done for other VEKN events like
Qualifiers and Continental Champs.