A few rules questions [LSJ]

Naram

May 8, 2006, 12:21:16 AM5/8/06
Since I recently re-signed up to this newsgroup, here are a few
assorted questions that came up:

1. Scorpion's Touch and first strike. Does hitting someone w/ a first
strike ST give them -1 strength when the opposing minion hits back. Ie.
is the first strike and regular strike part of same "current strike
resolution step".

Scorpion's Touch
Type: Combat
Requires: Quietus
Cost: 1 blood
[qui] Strike: make a hand or melee weapon strike and put this card on
the opposing minion. The minion with this card gets -1 strength (this
does not affect the current strike resolution step). Any vampire may
burn this card as a +1 stealth action. A minion may have only one
Scorpion's Touch.
[QUI] As above, and the minion with this card burns 1 blood or life
during his or her untap phase.

2. If the Madness Network is out and I have an untapped ready malk does
he a)have to hunt? b) able to take the non mandatory actions while
empty OOT?

Madness Network
Type: Master
Requires: Malkavian
Unique master.
Put this card in play. After another Methuselah has finished all of his
or her minion phase actions, any untapped Malkavians (going clockwise)
can take actions. Any minion can burn this card as an action that any
untapped Malkavian (in addition to the normally eligible blockers) can
attempt to block (go clockwise if 2 or more want to block).

3. If I have an 11 cap baali at 1 blood play call the grat beast and
then Daring the Dawn at inf., can I order the post action resolution
stuff to get the great beasty before the baali's early morning habits
catch up to him?

Call the Great Beast
Type: Action
Requires: Baali
Cost: 1 blood
+1 stealth action.
Put this card on the acting Baali and put X ritual counters on it,
where X is the capacity of this Baali. This Baali may put a ritual
counter on this card as a +1 stealth action. When this card has more
than 10 ritual counters, burn this Baali and choose three Disciplines.
This card becomes a unique clanless independent infernal vampire with 9
capacity, 4 strength and 3 bleed. The Great Beast has the chosen three
Disciplines at superior. Move 9 blood to him from the blood bank. The
Great Beast can enter combat with any ready minion controlled by
another Methuselah as a (D) action and can prevent 1 damage each
combat.

4. Can one play both Rötschreck and amarath in the same combat?

5. what is the standard tourney rule on going back and resolving
mendatory effects. Lets say I forget to remove a counter from the Web
of Knives Recruit during my untap phase, can I go back and do it after
playing a master card? After taking an action during minion phase? Next
turn? Is the status of it entering play effect the degree to which play
is back-tracked?

Thanks,
-Boris Z.

tzimisce_dragon

May 8, 2006, 4:09:17 AM5/8/06

Naram wrote:

> 1. Scorpion's Touch and first strike. Does hitting someone w/ a first
> strike ST give them -1 strength when the opposing minion hits back. Ie.
> is the first strike and regular strike part of same "current strike
> resolution step".

yes, all apposing minion's strikes that resolve after the resolution of
Scorpion's touch are at -1 str. First strike resolves before normal
strikes, so the answer is yes.

> 2. If the Madness Network is out and I have an untapped ready malk does
> he a)have to hunt? b) able to take the non mandatory actions while
> empty OOT?

Malkavian's taking actions OOT due to Madness Network is not mandatory.
BUT, If you
decide to act OOT with a Malkavian that has no blood, then you have to
hunt, that is
mandatory.

> 3. If I have an 11 cap baali at 1 blood play call the grat beast and
> then Daring the Dawn at inf., can I order the post action resolution
> stuff to get the great beasty before the baali's early morning habits
> catch up to him?

Actually, you don't have to order anything... Daring the Dawn's damage
is applied
after the resolution of the action. So, the action resolves and the
Great Beast comes
before applying the damage...

> 4. Can one play both Rötschreck and amarath in the same combat?

NO, Roetschreck ends combat and only after that (and not in combat)
sends the opposing minion in torpor. Amaranth is a combat card and thus
you can't play it outside combat.

LSJ

May 8, 2006, 8:41:08 AM5/8/06
tzimisce_dragon wrote:
> Naram wrote:
> > 1. Scorpion's Touch and first strike. Does hitting someone w/ a first
> > strike ST give them -1 strength when the opposing minion hits back. Ie.
> > is the first strike and regular strike part of same "current strike
> > resolution step".
>
> yes, all apposing minion's strikes that resolve after the resolution of
> Scorpion's touch are at -1 str. First strike resolves before normal
> strikes, so the answer is yes.

Correct.

> > 2. If the Madness Network is out and I have an untapped ready malk does
> > he a)have to hunt? b) able to take the non mandatory actions while
> > empty OOT?
>
> Malkavian's taking actions OOT due to Madness Network is not mandatory.
> BUT, If you
> decide to act OOT with a Malkavian that has no blood, then you have to
> hunt, that is
> mandatory.

Correct.

> > 3. If I have an 11 cap baali at 1 blood play call the grat beast and
> > then Daring the Dawn at inf., can I order the post action resolution
> > stuff to get the great beasty before the baali's early morning habits
> > catch up to him?
>
> Actually, you don't have to order anything... Daring the Dawn's damage
> is applied
> after the resolution of the action. So, the action resolves and the
> Great Beast comes
> before applying the damage...

Correct.

> > 4. Can one play both Rötschreck and amarath in the same combat?
>
> NO, Roetschreck ends combat and only after that (and not in combat)
> sends the opposing minion in torpor. Amaranth is a combat card and thus
> you can't play it outside combat.

Correct.

Joshua Duffin

May 8, 2006, 11:18:38 AM5/8/06

"Naram" <hsto...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> 5. what is the standard tourney rule on going back and resolving
> mendatory effects. Lets say I forget to remove a counter from the Web
> of Knives Recruit during my untap phase, can I go back and do it after
> playing a master card? After taking an action during minion phase? Next
> turn? Is the status of it entering play effect the degree to which play
> is back-tracked?

In my experience, tournaments usually require backtracking (when possible)
to play mandatory effects as you were supposed to. Since Web of Knives
recruit counter-removal is mandatory, you usually can (and must) remove the
counter even if you forgot to do it at the appropriate time. If practical
(ie, not too much has happened in the game), you would back up to the time
of the mandatory effect, perform it properly, then continue with your turn
from the point of the error. If backing up isn't practical, it's up to the
judge to decide how to handle it (which is true of the general case too -
technically, any time a play error is made in a tournament, it is the judge
who must correct it; players aren't authorized to reverse time on their
own).

From the VEKN Judges' Guide on "Procedural Error - Misrepresentation":

-----------
Definition:
A player is considered to have committed this infraction when he or she
unintentionally misplayed a card or a game rule.

Philosophy:
This penalty assumes an unintentional action on behalf of the player. If the
judge believes the misrepresentation was intentional, see section 160 -
Cheating. When the error is noticed and no significant game actions have
taken place, the error should be corrected. If any significant game actions
have taken place (such as moving to the next player's turn) it may be better
to leave the game undisturbed or impose some other game sanction (loss of a
pool, for instance) since players have made play decisions based on the
present state of the game. It is important that the player committing the
infraction receive no benefit in the game for doing so.

Penalty:
Caution.

Josh

incautious