(TWDA)(Qualifier Results) 2008 Great Lakes Qualifier, Indianapolis

devil_in_the_p...@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2008, 2:18:24 PM6/1/08
Event Name: 2008 GLQ Indianapolis
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana at Games to Die For
Attendence: 13 players
Date: 5/31/2008
Event type: Constructed 3R + F

Final Table:

Jay Kristoff
Boris Zaretsky
Aaron Miller
James Messer
Bob Joseph

Winner: James Messer!

Thanks for everyone who attended! And a special thanks to The
Lichslair and Heather Kreiter for their sponsor ship via prize
support, and to Games To Die For for providing the game space and
discounted product.

Without further a due here is James Messer's winning deck titled "!
Ventrue have never sucked!". Note: I believe this puts Mr. Messer
over the 5 tournament wins necessary to be inducted into the vtes hall
of fame.

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 3 max: 8 average: 6.09

2x Owain Evans, The W 8 AUS DOM FOR cel pre !Ventrue:
3
1x Jesse Menks 8 AUS DOM FOR ani archbishop !Ventrue:
3
1x Blackhorse Tanner 7 AUS DOM FOR !Ventrue:
3
1x Joseph O'Grady 7 DOM FOR aus cel !Ventrue:
3
1x Charice Fontaigne 6 AUS DOM for pot !Ventrue:
3
1x Jefferson Foster 6 AUS DOM for tha bishop !Ventrue:
4
1x Mariel St. John 6 AUS FOR dom pro !Ventrue:
4
1x Jephta Hester 5 DOM FOR aus !Ventrue:
4
1x Neighbor John 5 AUS dom for !Ventrue:
4
1x Katherine Stoddard 4 dom for !Ventrue:
3
1x Ulrike Rothbart 3 dom for !Ventrue:
4

Library [90 cards]

Action [13]
1x Abbot
6x Govern the Unaligned
6x Scouting Mission

Action Modifier [7]
3x Conditioning
4x Freak Drive

Combat [21]
4x Concealed Weapon
4x Indomitability
2x Resilience
2x Rolling with the Punches
2x Skin of Rock
5x Target Vitals
2x Unflinching Persistence

Equipment [5]
4x .44 Magnum
1x Bowl of Convergence

Master [13]
2x Blood Doll
1x Corporate Hunting Ground
1x Direct Intervention
1x Erciyes Fragments, The
1x Metro Underground
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Police Department
1x Powerbase: Montreal
1x Smiling Jack, The Anarch
3x Vessel

Reaction [30]
6x Deflection
2x Eagle's Sight
2x Enhanced Senses
4x Forced Awakening
2x Forced Vigilance
2x On the Qui Vive
2x Precognition
2x Spirit's Touch
4x Telepathic Misdirection
4x Wake with Evening's Freshness

Retainer [1]
1x Mr. Winthrop

Kevin M.

Jun 2, 2008, 4:37:39 AM6/2/08
devil_in_the_p...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Event Name: 2008 GLQ Indianapolis
> Location: Indianapolis, Indiana at Games to Die For
> Attendence: 13 players
> Date: 5/31/2008
> Event type: Constructed 3R + F
>
> Final Table:
>
> Jay Kristoff
> Boris Zaretsky
> Aaron Miller
> James Messer
> Bob Joseph
>
> Winner: James Messer!

Who qualified?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

XZealot

Jun 2, 2008, 10:20:39 AM6/2/08
On Jun 2, 2:37 am, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:

> devil_in_the_pale_moon_li...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Event Name: 2008 GLQ Indianapolis
> > Location: Indianapolis, Indiana at Games to Die For
> > Attendence: 13 players
> > Date: 5/31/2008
> > Event type: Constructed 3R + F
>
> > Final Table:
>
> > Jay Kristoff
> > Boris Zaretsky
> > Aaron Miller
> > James Messer
> > Bob Joseph
>
> > Winner: James Messer!
>
> Who qualified?

Jay Kristoff
Boris Zaretsky
Aaron Miller
James Messer
Bob Joseph

AKA the final table

Comments Welcome,
Norman S, Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

nood...@iprimus.com.au

Jun 2, 2008, 10:12:38 PM6/2/08

Gogo !Ventrue

Kevin M.

Jun 2, 2008, 6:07:25 PM6/2/08
XZealot <xze...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2:37 am, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>> devil_in_the_pale_moon_li...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> > Event Name: 2008 GLQ Indianapolis
>> > Location: Indianapolis, Indiana at Games to Die For
>> > Attendence: 13 players
>> > Date: 5/31/2008
>> > Event type: Constructed 3R + F
>>
>> > Final Table:
>>
>> > Jay Kristoff
>> > Boris Zaretsky
>> > Aaron Miller
>> > James Messer
>> > Bob Joseph
>>
>> > Winner: James Messer!
>>
>> Who qualified?
>
> Jay Kristoff
> Boris Zaretsky
> Aaron Miller
> James Messer
> Bob Joseph
>
> AKA the final table

How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?

jaykr...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2008, 5:18:31 AM6/3/08
On Jun 2, 6:07 pm, "Kevin M." wrote:

> XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> Who qualified?
>
> > Jay Kristoff
> > Boris Zaretsky
> > Aaron Miller
> > James Messer
> > Bob Joseph
>
> > AKA the final table
>
> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?

The four non-winning finalists each came in second place.
Doesn't that mean they each qualify?

Jay

XZealot

Jun 3, 2008, 8:01:19 AM6/3/08

XZealot

Jun 3, 2008, 8:02:36 AM6/3/08
On Jun 2, 5:07 pm, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> Who qualified?
>
> > Jay Kristoff
> > Boris Zaretsky
> > Aaron Miller
> > James Messer
> > Bob Joseph
>
> > AKA the final table
>
> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?

Under the new qualifying rules, at the very least the entire final
table qualifies irregardless of the size of the tournament.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr

Peter D Bakija

Jun 3, 2008, 8:19:07 AM6/3/08
On Jun 2, 6:07 pm, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?

The new system is:

The top 25% of the people in the qualifier tournament qualify. People
who are already qualified qualify again. The minimum number of people
who qualify for a given qualifier is 5, the number of people in the
final, as all non winning finalists tie for second, and if less than 5
people got to qualifiy in a given tournament, they'd have to make some
of the non winning finalists not tie for second, which shoots the
current tournament system in the foot.

In the recent NYC Qualifier, we had 17 people. Of the top 5 players
(i.e. the 5 in the finals), all got to qualify. One of them (Matt) was
already qualified. So 5 people qualified, but one of them being
already qualified, meant that we actually got 4 newly qualified
players out of the 5. Which seems like a reasonable tradeoff--
sometimes a qualifying spot is "taken" by someone who is already
qualified (meaning that we lose some qualifying spots in the long
run), but then other times, extra folks get qualifying spots that
didn't used to exist, due to the "25% but minimum 5" rule. Which
likely evens out in the long run. And is much less paperwork for
everyone (i.e. you don't need to figure out who is qualified already
to determine how many qualifying spots you get to hand out for a given
event).

-Peter

LSJ

Jun 3, 2008, 8:30:17 AM6/3/08
Peter D Bakija wrote:
> On Jun 2, 6:07 pm, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?
>
> The new system is:
>
> The top 25% of the people in the qualifier tournament qualify. People
> who are already qualified qualify again. The minimum number of people
> who qualify for a given qualifier is 5, the number of people in the
> final, as all non winning finalists tie for second, and if less than 5
> people got to qualifiy in a given tournament, they'd have to make some
> of the non winning finalists not tie for second, which shoots the
> current tournament system in the foot.

Perhaps an easier way to say it:

25% of 13 = 4, so anyone who finishes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place qualifies.

The winner places 1st => qualifies
The other finalists place 2nd => qualify
The other players finish 6th or worse => don't qualify

Peter D Bakija

Jun 3, 2008, 9:38:35 AM6/3/08
On Jun 3, 8:30 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Perhaps an easier way to say it:

Heh. Yeah, I suppse easier is an option too :-)

> 25% of 13 = 4, so anyone who finishes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place qualifies.
>
> The winner places 1st => qualifies
> The other finalists place 2nd => qualify
> The other players finish 6th or worse => don't qualify

I also wanted to get the part about how previously qualified folks
still get to qualify again in there. Which is likely a wash with the
extra qualifier spots. But wanted to make it clear none the less.

-Peter

Matthew T. Morgan

Jun 3, 2008, 9:45:52 AM6/3/08
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, XZealot wrote:

>> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?
>
> Under the new qualifying rules, at the very least the entire final
> table qualifies irregardless of the size of the tournament.

Almost true. If you had a sad, little four player qualifier, only the
winner (top 25%) would qualify.

Matt Morgan

Kevin M.

Jun 3, 2008, 10:09:07 AM6/3/08
Peter D Bakija <pd...@lightlink.com> wrote:
> "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>> How did 5 players qualify when 25% of 13 rounded up = 4?
>
> The new system is:
>
> The top 25% of the people in the qualifier tournament qualify. People
> who are already qualified qualify again. The minimum number of people
> who qualify for a given qualifier is 5, the number of people in the
> final, as all non winning finalists tie for second, and if less than 5
> people got to qualifiy in a given tournament, they'd have to make some
> of the non winning finalists not tie for second, which shoots the
> current tournament system in the foot.

Wow, I guess I haven't gotten to the finals of a tournament since that new
rule took effect. Either that, or I am just an idiot. Oh well, thanks,
guys. :)