Ebony Kingdom advancements -- what do you think?

Malone

May 3, 2009, 10:49:03 AM5/3/09

(1) Are you pleased that each Laibon clan will get an advanced
vampire, or do you think it would've been better to have an additional
new vampire instead?

(2) Are you pleased with the vampires that were chosen for
advancement? If not, who would you have preferred, and why?

me...

1) I am pleased. I think the advancement thing is underused. They
can always print more new vampires later but grouping makes it awkward
to go back and advance an old vampire, so it was right to issue G4
advancements now before G6 shows up.

2) I don't mind the choice of Jibade, I hope they did a Sebastian
Goulet and gave his advancement a special that compliments his base
special, but I would've rather seen Honorine Ateba get it. (Mid-cap +
Necromancy, yay!) I'm happy with Batsheva being chosen. I'm not so
keen on Cesewayo or Kamiri, because of their capacity, but given that
they chose starter-only vampires for advancement -- a reasonable
decision, the EK release is a good time to sell LoB starters to people
who don't already have them -- I guess there weren't any options that
I would've strongly preferred. Maybe Dolie and Tatu Sawosa.

Juggernaut1981

May 3, 2009, 6:58:37 PM5/3/09

Kamiri: I'm waiting to potentially be staggered by what could be added
to a vampire that automatically burns allies if combat occurs...
seriously what do you add to that kind of vampire?

Cesewayo: As per Kamiri, the Laibon Block-Master... what does he
need? what could you give him... a built in No Secrets??? Seriously,
what kind of OUCH will that bring???

Jibade: Untap after recruiting, once per turn? Allies he recruits
gain an additional life? While he is untapped allies you control gain
+1 stealth? He may recruit allies as if he met CLAN requirements... or
he may recruit allies as if he met the basic discipline requirements?

Batsheva: POT + Votes/Title? POT + burn blood to get votes? POT +
Take an action costing X to become a Magaji?

Not sure what to give Batsheva, but POT would be one of the main
things I'd want her to have...

Jozxyqk

May 3, 2009, 7:11:29 PM5/3/09
Juggernaut1981 <brassc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kamiri: I'm waiting to potentially be staggered by what could be added
> to a vampire that automatically burns allies if combat occurs...
> seriously what do you add to that kind of vampire?

Something that stops him from sucking.

LSJ

May 3, 2009, 7:16:44 PM5/3/09

You mean like Pulled Fangs?

echia...@yahoo.com

May 3, 2009, 11:00:03 PM5/3/09
On May 3, 3:49 pm, Malone <kffos...@indiana.edu> wrote:
> (1)  Are you pleased that each Laibon clan will get an advanced
> vampire, or do you think it would've been better to have an additional
> new vampire instead?
>
> (2)  Are you pleased with the vampires that were chosen for
> advancement?  If not, who would you have preferred, and why?

(1) I am just glad that the Advanced mechanism continues to be
supported. Epiphany (from Sword of Caine) was very helpful. But
generally there just seems to be a sprinkling of Advanced vampires
here and there. We've gotten a handful of promos (Nergal, Helena, Alan
Sovereign), Twilight Rebellion had one (Reverend Adams, storyline
prize), Third Edition had two (Melinda Galbraith and Dr. Julius
Sutphen), and Legacies of Blood had another two (Maria Stone and Jack
Dawson). But not since Kindred Most Wanted at the beginning of 2005
(which had 8) has there been a significant number of new Advanced
vampires. I'm still hoping that we see an expansion full of Advanced
vampires!

(2) I personally prefer to see Advanced versions of weaker vampires
who don't see a lot of play (rather than further augmenting the
playability of an already very popular vampire). Also, generally large-
caps and mid-caps tend to make the best candidates since you have
enough points to make the Advanced vampire sufficiently different from
the base version (e.g. look at Reverend Adams).

- Kamiri is an okay choice. Most Akunanse decks I see usually pass on
him. I can't think of any Akunanse that are especially bad.

- For the Guruhi, I would have preferred Maskini (without the
disadvantage) or maybe Eze (putting him more on par with recent 11-
caps).

- I think Jibade is a good choice. He (and Falhu) need the most help
amongst the Ishtarri. It might also be nice if his DEM was more useful
(possibly more Dementation support among his clanmates).

- Cesewayo is already quite a good vampire, so I think Tatu might have
been a better choice. Or maybe Kisha (providing another excuse to make
her readily available).

Juggernaut1981

May 4, 2009, 7:11:03 PM5/4/09
[snipped stuff]

RE: Kamiri
The reason for liking Kamiri is all about the number of Ally dependent
decks around. Sunday's tournament saw an Inner Circle Mummies (Spell
of Life) deck with Ossian and other Ally support. There are always a
few allies floating around tables and being able to incinerate Mylan,
Carlton and/or 11-life Inner Circle Spell of Life Mummies is not a bad
deal at all.

So I am just trying to figure out what you could do for a vampire that
incinerates allies? It just doesn't seem to have a "follow up".

Dominique (ADV) played into her Location-burning strengths and when
merged gave her a title.
Quentin King III (ADV) played into his strength of S&B Cheese PLUS
gave you blood management.

So the question is less a "WOW this vampire is awesome, what more does
it need???" and more of a "How the freaking heck do you follow up on a
dude that incinerates Ossian/Imbued/Carlton van Wyk/Mylan for just
surviving combat???"

bwr...@mail.com

May 4, 2009, 7:27:30 PM5/4/09
On May 4, 7:11 pm, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snipped stuff]
>
> RE: Kamiri
> The reason for liking Kamiri is all about the number of Ally dependent
> decks around.  Sunday's tournament saw an Inner Circle Mummies (Spell
> of Life) deck with Ossian and other Ally support.  There are always a
> few allies floating around tables and being able to incinerate Mylan,
> Carlton and/or 11-life Inner Circle Spell of Life Mummies is not a bad
> deal at all.

True... except for Mylan. He can't block vampires, and Kamiri only
burns allies that block.

Brent

oriang...@aliceadsl.fr

May 5, 2009, 8:21:01 AM5/5/09
Cesewwwwwwwwwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyo ADV :)

More seriously though, this is always hard to hear that you will get
one and only one ADV vampire for each clan... I would have preferred
some other advanced vampires just to have the choice... but at least
the choices are good vampires, so all in all it is cool.

http://ttcmaster.blogspot.com
http://stores.ebay.com/TTC-Jyhad-and-V-tes-cards-chantry

librarian

May 5, 2009, 1:53:15 PM5/5/09