Clan Assamite Newsletter, October 2008

Akantes

Oct 21, 2008, 8:15:18 PM10/21/08
Clan Assamite Newsletter, October 2008
Written by Jaakko Liemola

Greetings to all of you. I'm sorry to let you people down, but I'm not
going to talk about anarch-combat like I promised on the last
newsletter. But don't worry, that will be up on the next issue, as I
would like to dedicate this issue mostly on European Championship,
it's qualifiers, and sidetournaments. And the deck I played there.

Before I start talking and rambling about EC, I would like to thank
all the people who were organizing the tournament for the wonderful
event and the days I enjoyed in Prague. Was a most wonderful trip!
Also, the newsletter is kind of late, due to having massive V:tES-
hangover due to the EC.

But back to the event.

At first I needed to qualify, and I did, with 1gw and 7, and managed
be 14th on the LCQ. Shame I didn't make it with Assamites. Though in
compensation, I chose to play the same deck over and over again for
the following days. And I think it was worth it.

And here's the deck I was playing:

Crypt [13 vampires] Capacity min: 2 max: 7 average: 5.76923

4x Mukhtar Bey 7 FOR PRE QUI obf pot prince Caitiff:4
2x Olugbenga 7 OBF QUI ani cel magaji Assamite:4
1x Hafsa, The Watcher 6 OBF QUI aus cel Assamite:5
1x Reza Fatir, The Da 6 CEL QUI obf pro Assamite:4
1x Vardar Vardarian 6 OBF QUI cel pre Assamite:4
1x Layla bint-Nadr 5 CEL OBF qui Assamite:4
1x Kamau Jafari 4 QUI obf Assamite:4
1x Sajid al Misbah 4 QUI Assamite:5
1x Alu 2 obf Assamite:5

Library [90 cards]

Action [26]
1x Blithe Acceptance
3x Dream World
6x Embrace, The
4x Haqim's Law: Leadership
3x Khabar: Glory
9x Loss

Action Modifier [31]
5x Cloak the Gathering
4x Faceless Night
3x Freak Drive
3x Leverage
4x Lost in Crowds
3x Marked Path
5x Spying Mission
4x Veil the Legions

Action Modifier/Combat [6]
2x Hide the Mind
4x Swallowed by the Night

Equipment [1]
1x Heart of Nizchetus

Event [1]
1x Narrow Minds

Master [17]
3x Alamut
1x Black Throne, The
1x Direct Intervention
3x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Khabar: Community, The
1x Obfuscate
1x Perfectionist
1x Powerbase: Zurich
2x Storage Annex
2x Vessel
1x Yoruba Shrine

Political Action [7]
3x Consanguineous Boon
4x Parity Shift

Reaction [1]
1x Nest of Eagles

So let' go to Day 1 of the big event.

The results were rather.. Horrid. I managed to scrape together a
whopping 2vps from the whole day.

1st round:

Malgorzata bloat/vote -> Me -> Giovanni powerbleed -> Ventrue PRE-
voters, weeniestyle -> Malk/!Malk something

I was kinda worried when I saw my predators crypt. Something like 30
crypt cards, so I didn't think he'd do Malgorzata, but Tupdogs, and I
did hold back, and didn't put pressure too hard on my prey, in hopes I
wouldn't be the one getting the tablehate. Things go a bit forward,
and the PRE-voters drop off, dead. Then there is a bit of
tabletalking, and the Malk rushes me with Ossian and Muddled,
crosstable-style baby! And never did anything to
his prey. It took perhaps a turn after this that I was ousted. 0vps.

2nd round:

Weenie auspex -> Me -> Assamite bleed/vote, Amaravati -> Malk voters -
> Tzi-wall

Both me and the other guy playing assamites, we had lucky draws from
the crypt, and didn't have to contest anything. The Malks didn't start
of too well, eating the bleeds abit, and bouncing some of them. The
Tzi-wall went pretty forward, actually trying to oust his prey, but
didn't get far with the 13 bounces the weenie-auspex sported, and I
ended up being the bleedsink. After turns of Anarch Revolt pooldamage,
and Constant Revolutions, I
managed to oust my prey, and playing Hide the Mind on Eagle's Sight,
and thus preventing the auspex-weenies on getting a sweep from the
table. 1vp total.

3rd round:

I honestly can't remember this round. I seriously don't. Tried to
remember it for a while, but it's just blank. I'm not too sure, but I
think I managed to get a vp in this round, so I managed to up my score
to a total of whoppin 2vps for the day2. Propably pointless to say,
but I didn't get to the 2nd day.

But what I feel is the most important, is that how my deck performed.
And what it needs. The one thing I hoped pretty much all the time
during the day1, was that I hoped something that I could do
crosstable. Pretty much anything would have worked. I'm not too fond
on playing Parity Shift crosstable, as that gathers too much
tablehate. I know, I'll get rid of it for the next tournament.

So here's the new, hopefully even better version of the deck I played.

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 2 max: 7 average: 5.91667

4x Mukhtar Bey 7 FOR PRE QUI obf pot prince Caitiff:4
2x Olugbenga 7 OBF QUI ani cel magaji Assamite:4
1x Hafsa, The Watcher 6 OBF QUI aus cel Assamite:5
1x Reza Fatir, The Da 6 CEL QUI obf pro Assamite:4
1x Vardar Vardarian 6 OBF QUI cel pre Assamite:4
1x Layla bint-Nadr 5 CEL OBF qui Assamite:4
1x Kamau Jafari 4 QUI obf Assamite:4
1x Alu 2 obf Assamite:5

Library [75 cards]

Action [18]
2x Dream World
5x Embrace, The
4x Haqim's Law: Leadership
1x Khabar: Glory
6x Loss

Action Modifier [23]
4x Cloak the Gathering
4x Elder Impersonation
3x Faceless Night
3x Lost in Crowds
4x Spying Mission
5x Veil the Legions

Action Modifier/Combat [4]
4x Swallowed by the Night

Equipment [2]
1x Heart of Nizchetus
1x Sargon Fragment, The

Event [2]
1x Anthelios, The Red Star
1x Narrow Minds

Master [18]
4x Alamut
1x Anarch Troublemaker
1x Coven, The
1x Direct Intervention
1x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Khabar: Community, The
3x Parthenon, The
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
1x Powerbase: Zurich
2x Vessel
2x Yoruba Shrine

Political Action [8]
2x Consanguineous Boon
2x Kine Resources Contested
4x Parity Shift

The biggest difference is the adding of 2 KRC's and Sargon Fragment,
allowing me to cycle them, if need arises. This deck actually runs
rather decently, not clogging that much in your hand, unless everyone
decides to not block you. It's also rather consistant on it's
performance, so I'm rather happy with it. It just needs a lot more
refining, before I dare to take it to a tournament again.

That's pretty much all I have to say at the time. Still a bit tired
from the EC. I'll catch you next month on a new issue, and hopefully,
if I have the chance to test it, I'll feature the anarch-combat deck
I've promised on the last issue.

---------------------

Liked it, hated it, or want to comment otherwise?
Contact me on: akantes_a_hotmail.com
---------------------
Remember to visit The Path of Blood, a site dedicated to Clan
Assamite. http://www.thepathofblood.com
---------------------

xcver

Oct 22, 2008, 5:11:54 AM10/22/08

I know you are in effect free to write what you want for a Clan
Newsletter, but isn't this more of a tournament report for your deck
and an analysis of it?

I'm missing a bit more fluff...

Akantes

Oct 22, 2008, 6:27:53 AM10/22/08

You are right. And yeah, it's not exactly the a good newsletter. Just
a quick review of the deck I played in there, and how it managed to
do, including a new version of the deck. But the hangover of V:tES
from EC was quite... massive so to say. I'll do better the next time,
I promise :)

alf

Oct 22, 2008, 2:30:21 PM10/22/08
<SNIP>

> I'm missing a bit more fluff...

I'm missing qouting discipline.
Don't qoute > 200 lines when referring to unrelevant stuff.
Please.

Alf

Jeff Kuta

Oct 22, 2008, 4:13:47 PM10/22/08

I often like newsletters which are tournament reports with a decklist.
All too often newsletters have lots of great ideas but no debriefing
after the field test. Of course, don't my preference stifle any
creativity. There are also ideas which might otherwise never see the
light of day posted in newsletters. Those frequently inspire others to
hone the premise and make it into a more playable concept. All styles
of report are more than welcome. :)

Jeff