Barcelona EC 2k3

The Lasombra

Sep 6, 2003, 4:36:58 PM9/6/03
Has anyone found a place online to make
hotel reservations within walking distance of:

Centro Cultural "La Bóbila"
Pl. de la Bòbila, 1
08906 Hospitalet de Llobregat
Barcelona, Spain

??

I have been unable to find anything remotely
close to useful online.

Does anyone living in Barcelona know of a hotel
within walking distance of this location?

Youth hostels and traveling by train is not an option.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Smiling Tom

Sep 6, 2003, 5:26:39 PM9/6/03

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

> Has anyone found a place online to make
> hotel reservations within walking distance of:
>

> Centro Cultural "La Bóbila"
> Pl. de la Bòbila, 1
> 08906 Hospitalet de Llobregat
> Barcelona, Spain
>
> ??
>
> I have been unable to find anything remotely
> close to useful online.
>
> Does anyone living in Barcelona know of a hotel
> within walking distance of this location?
>
> Youth hostels and traveling by train is not an option.

There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at all on walking
distance from La Bobila. But it has a nearby metro station, and it can be
reached from almost everywhere in barcelona in a 10 to 20 minutes trip. I've
just put up in the EC2003 website info about aparthotels, which are really
nice, or at least it is what the one who told me about them said.

Also, note that it will be better for all of you to book rooms inside
barcelona. The best option, imho, will be around Sants station, where there
are plenty of hotels, the airport train stops there, and 2 of the main metro
lines stop there (on of which is the one that leads to La Bobila). Not to
say that if you like to get around barcelona any spare day you are here, it
will be more comfortable for you.

ec2003 website: www.hermetex4.com/ec2003

> Carpe noctem.
>
> Lasombra
>
> http://www.TheLasombra.com

Bona nit
Smiling Tom

The Lasombra

Sep 6, 2003, 5:52:06 PM9/6/03
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:26:39 +0200, "Smiling Tom" <t...@almadrava.net>
wrote:

>> Has anyone found a place online to make
>> hotel reservations within walking distance of:

>> Centro Cultural "La Bóbila"
>> Pl. de la Bòbila, 1
>> 08906 Hospitalet de Llobregat
>> Barcelona, Spain

>> ??

>> I have been unable to find anything remotely
>> close to useful online.

>> Does anyone living in Barcelona know of a hotel
>> within walking distance of this location?

>> Youth hostels and traveling by train are not an option.

-There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at
-all on walking distance from La Bobila.

Then it was a mistake to schedule there.

See for example:

DragonCon -- 20,000 people in attendance over 4 days, held in 2 hotels
(30 more within a few blocks walk).

GenCon -- 25-30,000 people in attendance over 4 days, dozens of hotels
within 2 blocks.

Origins -- 10-20,000 people in attendance over 4 days, a dozen hotels
within 4 blocks.

You need room for 120-150 people, for two days.

You need a place for them to stay.

It is very easy to schedule these things together when you think about
it far enough in advance.

Germany EC 2004 organizing crew, please notice the above.

If I hadn't already paid for my plane fair in February, I would be
having serious doubts about attending this event.

Is anyone that speaks Spanish/Catelan staying in a hotel close by?

I will pay for cab fare if you will arrange directions with the
driver. Just let me know where you will be, and I will arrange
accommodations at the same location.

Damnans

Sep 6, 2003, 6:19:18 PM9/6/03
[...]

> -There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at
> -all on walking distance from La Bobila.
>
> Then it was a mistake to schedule there.

No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.

[...]

> You need room for 120-150 people, for two days.
>
> You need a place for them to stay.
>
> It is very easy to schedule these things together when you think about
> it far enough in advance.

I repeat this is not a problem in Barcelona.

> If I hadn't already paid for my plane fair in February, I would be
> having serious doubts about attending this event.
>
> Is anyone that speaks Spanish/Catelan staying in a hotel close by?

In fact, I will stay 12 subway stations away from the event location,
which means right on the other side of the city.

> I will pay for cab fare if you will arrange directions with the
> driver. Just let me know where you will be, and I will arrange
> accommodations at the same location.

He, he... Maybe you think Barcelona is like Atlanta, with
so large distances and lack of good public transports ;-)

I have NEVER needed a car in Barcelona. And I have been living
there for 11 years. The subway is more than enough. I asure you ;-)

The event location is just 5 subway stations away from Sants-Estació,
where you will have to stop when coming from the airport by train.

As Tom has already said, there are plenty of hotels in that area.

Greetings,
Damnans

The Lasombra

Sep 6, 2003, 8:51:06 PM9/6/03
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:19:18 GMT, "Damnans" <bel...@ono.com> wrote:

>> -There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at
>> -all on walking distance from La Bobila.

>> Then it was a mistake to schedule there.

>No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.

Trains are not an option.

Cab fare is expensive.

Walking distance to the event is a requirement in every city where I
do not speak the language, which will be every European city that
is not in England. Even in England, walking distance will be a
requirement.

berni...@attbi.comholdlespam

Sep 7, 2003, 1:52:08 AM9/7/03

Or at least stumbling distance from the local pub.

>Lasombra

BernieTime
Lansing, Michigan

Damnans

Sep 7, 2003, 2:55:58 AM9/7/03

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:19:18 GMT, "Damnans" <bel...@ono.com> wrote:
>
> >> -There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at
> >> -all on walking distance from La Bobila.
>
> >> Then it was a mistake to schedule there.
>
> >No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.
>
> Trains are not an option.

Why not? :-)

[...]

Greetings,
Damnans

Smiling Tom

Sep 7, 2003, 4:43:38 AM9/7/03

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:19:18 GMT, "Damnans" <bel...@ono.com> wrote:
>
> >> -There aren't, if my memory doesn't fails me, any hotel at
> >> -all on walking distance from La Bobila.
>
> >> Then it was a mistake to schedule there.
>
> >No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.
>
> Trains are not an option.

Not trying to be offensive, but, are you claustrophobic? If so, or there is
any other good reason for you to refuse the use of subway, I offer myself to
drive you everyday to the tournament site, if you don't have any problem
bikes. I fyou have so, I might convince some of the locals to pick you up
with his car.

The election of La Bobila as the event site was done due to the extremely
good conditions we have to do the tournament there. It's big enough to held
3-4 tournaments at a time, counting one of them as being a 100 players'
tournament, and still keep low the costs of the tournament, and thus the
entry fees for those who wish to attend.

Doing it at a hotel in the center of barcelona, with only one plausible
space, will have raised the entry fee vastly, and probably most of side
events shouldn't have been played there.

> Cab fare is expensive.

Yes, this is quite accurate, but no more than any other city in spain, i
guess.

The Lasombra

Sep 7, 2003, 12:21:51 PM9/7/03
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 06:55:58 GMT, "Damnans" <bel...@ono.com> wrote:

>> >No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.

>> Trains are not an option.

>Why not? :-)

Because I can't find a hotel.

I cannot travel by train from a hotel I don't know exists to another
place that nothing on the internet even acknowledges as existing.

Finding a hotel was the point of the thread, remember?

I will be happy to pay cab fare if I can find a hotel, preferably one
that is close to the event. I have been unable to find anything
remotely close to helpful online.

The Lasombra

Sep 7, 2003, 12:24:21 PM9/7/03
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:43:38 +0200, "Smiling Tom" <t...@almadrava.net>
wrote:

>> >No. Since Barcelona has a very good subway network.

>> Trains are not an option.

>Not trying to be offensive, but, are you claustrophobic?

Does it make a difference?

I have been asking for help finding a hotel.

Why is that so hard to answer?

Smiling Tom

Sep 7, 2003, 12:38:40 PM9/7/03

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

Yes, and I tried to help you out at that fact. Sorry if I have offended you
with my question, it's just that I'm a bit bonehead sometimes and I couldn't
understand why you say no so severely to the use of subway.

Several maps will be added to the website this week, of the event site area.

Ok. I have found this. In my street there is an aparthotel. I have just
requested them their info, so here it is:
Aparthotel Silver - www.hotelsilver.com

The C rooms are ok, and they cost only 71,5 euros, but it is for a 2 people
room, 18 euros for the third person.

It is not nearby Sants station, but it's just side by side my home, so I
could be able to pick you up, and anyone who wishes to stay there, easily
everyday in order to go to La Bobila, if you have no problem on taking the
subway. If you do so, then I could ask some other player in barcelona who
have car to pick you up.

Also, note that it is sited on one of the nicest neighbourhoods in the city,
and just 15-20 minutes to the event location. If it don't fits you, I'll try
to point you in the right direction of hotels at Sants Station.

Kamel SENNI

Sep 8, 2003, 3:45:34 AM9/8/03
"Smiling Tom" <t...@almadrava.net> wrote in message news:<bjfms7$rmd$1...@nsnmrro2-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net>...

I've found some hotels in the center of barcelona last year, and it
take half an hour (included the walking time from the station to the
place of the tournamnament).
Barcelona is a secure city, and subway is cheap and efficient
(compared to some others majors city in europe (even Paris, with
probably the best subway grid, quite complex howewer;-))
If you cant't find an hotel near the tournament place, i assure, from
my own experience, that you will have no problem with the public
transportation system. (and i will be a foreigner, in barcelona, like
you...).
Kamel SENNI

Tobias

Sep 8, 2003, 9:39:39 AM9/8/03
kamel...@yvelines.pref.gouv.fr (Kamel SENNI) wrote in message news:<1b066664.03090...@posting.google.com>...

<snip>

> I've found some hotels in the center of barcelona last year, and it
> take half an hour (included the walking time from the station to the
> place of the tournamnament).
> Barcelona is a secure city, and subway is cheap and efficient
> (compared to some others majors city in europe (even Paris, with
> probably the best subway grid, quite complex howewer;-))
> If you cant't find an hotel near the tournament place, i assure, from
> my own experience, that you will have no problem with the public
> transportation system. (and i will be a foreigner, in barcelona, like
> you...).
> Kamel SENNI

I was in Barcelona a bit earlier this year.

Friendly and safe city with an excellent public transport system,
indeed. Taxi's have been fine for me as well there.

Tobias
Deventer

Andreas Nusser

Sep 9, 2003, 9:05:56 AM9/9/03
The Lasombra wrote:

> DragonCon -- 20,000 people in attendance over 4 days, held in 2 hotels
> (30 more within a few blocks walk).
>
> GenCon -- 25-30,000 people in attendance over 4 days, dozens of hotels
> within 2 blocks.
>
> Origins -- 10-20,000 people in attendance over 4 days, a dozen hotels
> within 4 blocks.
>
> You need room for 120-150 people, for two days.
>
> You need a place for them to stay.
>
> It is very easy to schedule these things together when you think about
> it far enough in advance.
>

> Germany EC 2004 organizing crew, please notice the above.

I noticed it. Although I have to admnit that we actually thought that
players might want to bring tents and sleeping bags with them. We have
enough garden area for 200 people.

Remember Germany gets cold during december. Best to bring warm clothes
along.

--
Andreas Nusser
www.vekn.de

Johannes Walch

Sep 9, 2003, 11:19:23 AM9/9/03
> I noticed it. Although I have to admnit that we actually thought that
> players might want to bring tents and sleeping bags with them. We have
> enough garden area for 200 people.
>
> Remember Germany gets cold during december. Best to bring warm clothes
> along.

Just a notice to anyone who is about to freak out :

This is just a piece of "german hard to understand humor" aka irony.

johannes walch aka "the peacemaker"

Andreas Nusser

Sep 10, 2003, 2:35:28 AM9/10/03

Though I was not ironic.

Mike Nudd

Sep 10, 2003, 4:45:50 AM9/10/03

"Andreas Nusser" <time...@NOSPAMscram.de> wrote in message

Hey some of us UK types are mad and broke enough to try that anyway! :)

Regards,

Mike

Johannes Walch

Sep 11, 2003, 9:30:21 AM9/11/03
> Hey some of us UK types are mad and broke enough to try that anyway! :)

Then you might be also interested in our "hospitality for VPs" program. As
the german players usually are not the best players at big tournaments we
thought it might be a good idea to put up an alternative plan for making VPs

johannes walch
v:ekn germany - http://www.vekn.de/