Form of Mist (LSJ)

Henrik

Jul 26, 2001, 6:58:13 PM7/26/01
Nothing to do... Why not pester LSJ with some more questions?

I don't understand some of the rulings/clarifications on the white-wolf page

Form of mist:

>The superior form cannot be used by the acting vampire unless he needs the
stealth. [RTR 19970630]

When do you need the stealth? There is blocking minion when the strike
resolves => you don't need the stealth => this card can never be played.
Where do my logic fail here? ;o)

>Performing diablerie (via Amaranth) at the end of the combat that is ended
by superior Form of Mist will nullify the "continue action" effect.
>[LSJ 19980819]

I can't really see this happening. What obscure corner-case am I missing
here?

/Henrik

James Coupe

Jul 26, 2001, 7:12:01 PM7/26/01
In message <9jq78l$12nee$1...@ID-99227.news.dfncis.de>, Henrik
<henri...@spray.se> writes

>>The superior form cannot be used by the acting vampire unless he needs the
>stealth. [RTR 19970630]
>
>When do you need the stealth?

When you got blocked by intercept, basically. (Remember, an action
could be blocked by Brujah Frenzy, despite excess stealth and no
blocking minion.)

I bleed. You block. I play Earth Control, +2 stealth. You play
Enhanced Senses, +2 intercept. During combat, I play Form of Mist at
superior, because I need the stealth *when I go to the continue action
effect*.
--
James Coupe PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D
"Surely somewhere out there there's a woman who's EBD690ECD7A1F

LSJ

Jul 26, 2001, 9:40:11 PM7/26/01
Henrik wrote:

> Nothing to do... Why not pester LSJ with some more questions?
>
> I don't understand some of the rulings/clarifications on the white-wolf page
>
> Form of mist:
>
> >The superior form cannot be used by the acting vampire unless he needs the
> stealth. [RTR 19970630]
>
> When do you need the stealth? There is blocking minion when the strike
> resolves => you don't need the stealth => this card can never be played.
> Where do my logic fail here? ;o)

Need stealth = a blocking minion exists with intercept equal to or
greater than the acting minion's stealth.

> >Performing diablerie (via Amaranth) at the end of the combat that is ended
> by superior Form of Mist will nullify the "continue action" effect.
> >[LSJ 19980819]
>
> I can't really see this happening. What obscure corner-case am I missing
> here?

Strike: damage (with prevent as needed). Additional strike: FoM followed by
disarm and amaranth (obviously :-).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Halcyan 2

Jul 27, 2001, 11:28:55 AM7/27/01
>> Nothing to do... Why not pester LSJ with some more questions?
>>
>> I don't understand some of the rulings/clarifications on the white-wolf
>page
>>
>> Form of mist:
>>
>> >The superior form cannot be used by the acting vampire unless he needs the
>> stealth. [RTR 19970630]
>>
>> When do you need the stealth? There is blocking minion when the strike
>> resolves => you don't need the stealth => this card can never be played.
>> Where do my logic fail here? ;o)
>
>Need stealth = a blocking minion exists with intercept equal to or
>greater than the acting minion's stealth.

Some more concrete examples include if you have a intercept retainer or
equipment that gets destroyed during combat:

Minion A hunts
Minion B with Mr. Winthrop blocks
Someone plays a Weather Control killing Mr. Winthrop
Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth

Minion A hunts
Minion B with Sport Bike blocks
Minion A plays Shattering Blow on Sport Bike and possibly Blur
Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth

Also, if someone with an intercept retainer blocks Stanislava, the intercept
retainer doesn't provide the benefit during combat (due to Stanislava's card
text). Alternatively, Drawing out the Beast would temporarily nullify a Sport
Bike, etc etc etc.

Hope this explains some things. Most of this is all corner case of course, but
it still happens from time to time.

Halcyan 2

XZealot

Jul 28, 2001, 2:05:03 PM7/28/01
> Some more concrete examples include if you have a intercept retainer or
> equipment that gets destroyed during combat:
>
> Minion A hunts
> Minion B with Mr. Winthrop blocks
> Someone plays a Weather Control killing Mr. Winthrop
> Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth
>
> Minion A hunts
> Minion B with Sport Bike blocks
> Minion A plays Shattering Blow on Sport Bike and possibly Blur
> Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth
>
> Also, if someone with an intercept retainer blocks Stanislava, the intercept
> retainer doesn't provide the benefit during combat (due to Stanislava's card
> text). Alternatively, Drawing out the Beast would temporarily nullify a Sport
> Bike, etc etc etc.

Are you sure about this? It sound's like combat-effects such as
retainer and equipment destruction are affecting non-combat
interaction. Surely, you are not saying that if I have Igo with a
sportbike and Anton in play and I block your hunt that you would be
allowed to destroy the sportbike and play FOM because Anton is in play
and therefore you would need the stealth. This is way, way to
environmentally specific to actually be a ruling, LSJ?

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr.
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

Henrik

Jul 28, 2001, 4:23:36 PM7/28/01

XZealot skrev i meddelandet
<47b374ab.01072...@posting.google.com>...

I agree on that one. I think it's enough to forbid sup form of mist if the
combat is a result of a successfull action. (i.e. bums and stuff). The rest
is way to complicated for me at least.

/Henrik

LSJ

Jul 29, 2001, 7:18:37 AM7/29/01
XZealot wrote:
> [Halcyon 2 wrote:]

Please cite your quotes.

> > Some more concrete examples include if you have a intercept retainer or
> > equipment that gets destroyed during combat:
> >
> > Minion A hunts
> > Minion B with Mr. Winthrop blocks
> > Someone plays a Weather Control killing Mr. Winthrop
> > Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth
> >
> > Minion A hunts
> > Minion B with Sport Bike blocks
> > Minion A plays Shattering Blow on Sport Bike and possibly Blur
> > Minion A can't play superior FoM since 1 > 0, meaning he doesn't need stealth
> >
> > Also, if someone with an intercept retainer blocks Stanislava, the intercept
> > retainer doesn't provide the benefit during combat (due to Stanislava's card
> > text). Alternatively, Drawing out the Beast would temporarily nullify a Sport
> > Bike, etc etc etc.
>
> Are you sure about this? It sound's like combat-effects such as
> retainer and equipment destruction are affecting non-combat
> interaction.

If the retainer/equipment is used for non-combat interaction, it cannot
be used if it is burned, yes.

> Surely, you are not saying that if I have Igo with a
> sportbike and Anton in play and I block your hunt that you would be
> allowed to destroy the sportbike and play FOM because Anton is in play
> and therefore you would need the stealth.

No, since Anton is not blocking.