V:EKN Official Toreador Newsletter July 2007

ya...@netg.se

Jul 9, 2007, 4:46:42 AM7/9/07
This might be followed by a repost as my USENET News provider hasn't
managed to distribute my first posting in 24 hours.

Introduction:

It would seem that no one has taken up the Toreador newsletter, so
rather than watching the clan being abandoned I'll write this one a
full year after my latest.

Two expansions have been released since; the Third Edition, focusing
on the Sabbat, and Sword of Caine, a mini expansion focusing on the
Black Hand. So, out of 218 new cards, plus a few promo only cards,
there are not many which are better for clan Toreador than for other
clans, if any. Still, with less than a month left until the upcoming
European Championship I'll make my best to identify a few of them in
an attempt to help my favourite clan shine.

Cards of the month:

Cardname: Frontal Assault
Cardtype: Master
Set: Third
Cardtext: Master.
Put this card in play. Each ready minion you control may enter combat
with any minion controlled by your prey as a (D) action. You gain 1
pool each time a ready minion controlled by your prey is burned or
sent to torpor. During your influence phase, burn this card and burn 1
pool for each ready minion controlled by your prey.

A useful card for any weenie combat deck. It should therefore work
well in a low cap celerity gun deck.

Cardname: Grooming the Protégé
Cardtype: Master
Set: Third
Cardtext: Master.
Move up to 3 blood from a ready vampire you control to a younger
vampire of the same clan in your uncontrolled region.

A possible addition to a multi-master Toreador voting deck that would
like to see more vampires hitting the table fast. I'm not entirely
certain that this would be the way to go, but votes, protected by
Toreador Grand Ball, and pushed with presence and pumped with Voter
Captivation should theoretically make this one a viable option.

Cardname: Inconnu Tutelage
Cardtype: Event
Set: Third
Cardtext: Inconnu.
A Methuselah may spend four transfers and remove a vampire in his or
her uncontrolled region from the game to search for any card in his or
her library and put it in his or her hand (discarding and shuffling
afterward).

Quite a few Toreador decks lend themselves to multiple copies of the
same vampire. Why not get some candy for your doubles?

Cardname: Perpetual Care
Cardtype: Political Action
Set: Third
Cardtext: Successful referendum means each Methuselah burns 2 pool for
each vampire in torpor he or she controls.

I tried this one with a blocking voter, and with a rush deck, but I
simply never got it to work well enough to be worth it. That doesn't
mean it is useless. I have, after all, not been especially successful
with my tournament gaming at all the last year or so. Maybe someone
out there knows how to make this one a punishing vote card.

Cardname: Glancing Blow
Cardtype: Combat
Set: Third
Cardtext: Do not replace until your next untap phase.
Prevent 1 damage from the opposing minion's strike.

This is a nice little card that is quite useful in small amounts in a
gun deck based on superior celerity. At long range two points of
aggravated damage is pretty much what you hate most.

Cardname: On the Qui Vive
Cardtype: Reaction
Set: Third
Cardtext: Only usable by a tapped minion. This reacting minion can
play reaction cards and attempt to block as though untapped until the
current action is concluded. If this minion is an ally, he or she does
not untap as normal during his or her next untap phase. A minion may
play only one On the Qui Vive between his or her untap phases.

If you play with more than one copy of wakes, then at least one should
be a copy of this card. There's simply no way to go wrong with one
copy.

Cardname: Heart of Nizchetus
Cardtype: Equipment
Set: Third
Cost: 1 pool
Cardtext: Unique equipment.
During your untap phase, if the bearer is ready, you may draw up to
three cards from your library and then move the same number of cards
from your hand to the bottom of your library.

Every focussed deck should have one copy of this card.

Cardname: Helicopter
Cardtype: Equipment
Set: Third
Cost: 3 pool
Cardtext: Vehicle.
When a minion equips with the Helicopter, tap it. After resolving a
successful action, this minion may tap the Helicopter to untap. A
minion may have only one vehicle.

Maybe more fun than fantastic. Paired with NRA Pack if your Toreador
Grand Ball deck has some other equipment it wants in play I like the
opportunity to get two unblockable actions with a clan that has
difficulties generating multiple actions otherwise.

Cardname: Sanguinary Wind
Cardtype: Combat
Set: SoC
Discipline: Celerity
Cardtext: [cel] Only usable before strikes are chosen. This vampire's
strikes may not be dodged this round.
[CEL] As above, but usable after strikes have been chosen.

Well, it is celerity based, which makes it a card for the Toreador,
but I really don't know. Maybe a few copies in a big gun deck where
you know beforehand that all armed Toreador will have superior
celerity.

I don't have a deck of the month for the simple reason I haven't made
anything especially new with clan Toreador since I had Anneke block
everything with Reversals of Fortune, Dr Marisa Fletcher, Millicent
Smith and Smiling Jack in play. For some reason that deck didn't get
me any new friends.

Until later.
Have some great V:TES

Sten Düring