Fixing the Ratings Entry Page

Hodgestar

Nov 23, 2009, 4:49:42 AM11/23/09
The "Aaarg! The Stupid Ratings Entry Page" thread got somewhat
sidetracked, so I thought I'd try start a more constructive thread
about making the ratings entry page better.

The relevant posts from the previous thread seem to be:

My list of woes:
http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7460d9b555520418

Petri's addendum to my list describing problems entering large
tournaments:
http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ceb4f5f9967b6633

Powerlord's description of the steps involved in adding a new player:
http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/4fe494a24dc41842

I'll re-iterate my offer to help make a tool for importing a .csv file
saved from The Archon v1.3 (mostly I need to know what language to use
and what database schema to write results into or what API to use to
write results -- a copy of the currently upload saving script is
probably the easiest way to provide this).

Schiavo
Simon

Johannes Walch

Nov 23, 2009, 6:15:28 AM11/23/09
Hodgestar schrieb:

From what I see the V:TES website from WW is not going to change in any
direction in the next year or so. We had many promises, none of them kept.

The only viable alternative I see is to move the rating out of
White-Wolf into a volunteer run project. However you should keep in mind
that this will require a tremendous effort since everything needs to be
done from scratch. I have looked at the code/database of the White Wolf
solution and it is not good, you don�t want to build on that.

If we can get together enough volunteers it is doable, but it will be
hard work. So voice your opinion here if you are able to contribute.

I can take care of providing server space and a database.

Patrick Benoit

Nov 23, 2009, 6:43:49 AM11/23/09
On 23 nov, 12:15, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
> Hodgestar schrieb:
>

> > The "Aaarg! The Stupid Ratings Entry Page" thread got somewhat
> > sidetracked, so I thought I'd try start a more constructive thread
> > about making the ratings entry page better.
>
> > The relevant posts from the previous thread seem to be:
>
> > My list of woes:
> >  http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/74...

> > Petri's addendum to my list describing problems entering large
> > tournaments:
> >  http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ce...

> > Powerlord's description of the steps involved in adding a new player:
> >  http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/4f...

> > I'll re-iterate my offer to help make a tool for importing a .csv file
> > saved from The Archon v1.3 (mostly I need to know what language to use
> > and what database schema to write results into or what API to use to
> > write results -- a copy of the currently upload saving script is
> > probably the easiest way to provide this).
>
> > Schiavo
> > Simon
>
>  From what I see the V:TES website from WW is not going to change in any
> direction in the next year or so. We had many promises, none of them kept.
>
> The only viable alternative I see is to move the rating out of
> White-Wolf into a volunteer run project. However you should keep in mind
> that this will require a tremendous effort since everything needs to be
> done from scratch. I have looked at the code/database of the White Wolf
> solution and it is not good, you don´t want to build on that.
>
> If we can get together enough volunteers it is doable, but it will be
> hard work. So voice your opinion here if you are able to contribute.
>
> I can take care of providing server space and a database.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Hello,

I've talk about that with Robyn at the EC, she said that she could
send me all the datas (on CDs). I don't know how the datas are
managed. Maybe we can extract them in a new Data base model and make
some tools to manage the ratings.
I'm not sure i will have a lot of times to do that. Is there anyone
interested in the project?

Johannes, If i work on this, i will certainly take your offer of
servers and space. Thank you.

Gandalf78

Nov 23, 2009, 8:01:33 AM11/23/09

I think the real hard work is the start... when we have all the data
in a database i think it would be easy to manage it...

i can give u my availability to work on it...

Pls let me know!!!

JH

Nov 23, 2009, 8:33:58 AM11/23/09

Data can always be imported with a script, so parsing the original
data is the biggest issue. After that it's just computer crunching the
files. As for the ratings calculation and database, I already have
created some kind of an tournament database that can calculate the
rating points for our local tournaments (http://www.tenerdo.org/). The
site is PHP/MySQL driven and the code could easily be modified for a
larger site and a CSV, or even direct Excel, imports could be easily
added there.

Johannes Walch

Nov 23, 2009, 8:34:09 AM11/23/09
to Gandalf78
Gandalf78 schrieb:
>>> solution and it is not good, you donīŋŊt want to build on that.

>>> If we can get together enough volunteers it is doable, but it will be
>>> hard work. So voice your opinion here if you are able to contribute.
>>> I can take care of providing server space and a database.- Masquer le texte des messages prīŋŊcīŋŊdents -
>>> - Afficher le texte des messages prīŋŊcīŋŊdents -

>> Hello,
>>
>> I've talk about that with Robyn at the EC, she said that she could
>> send me all the datas (on CDs). I don't know how the datas are
>> managed. Maybe we can extract them in a new Data base model and make
>> some tools to manage the ratings.
>> I'm not sure i will have a lot of times to do that. Is there anyone
>> interested in the project?
>>
>> Johannes, If i work on this, i will certainly take your offer of
>> servers and space. Thank you.
>
> I think the real hard work is the start... when we have all the data
> in a database i think it would be easy to manage it...
>
> i can give u my availability to work on it...
>
> Pls let me know!!!

I think the real work is coding the web-frontend. Putting some data in a
database shouldnt be more than an afternoons work of a little perl/regex
coding to convert it to the proper input format.

If you are able and willing to help please state your area of expertise
(e.g MySQL, PHP Programming, Website design ..) and probably your
"credentials" e.g where you play, are you a prince and so on (and your
real name). DonīŋŊt get me wrong, nobody should be excluded but we need to
establish a basic level of trust which is often difficult over the Internet.

JH

Nov 23, 2009, 8:40:19 AM11/23/09

> >> Hello,
>
> >> I've talk about that with Robyn at the EC, she said that she could
> >> send me all the datas (on CDs). I don't know how the datas are
> >> managed. Maybe we can extract them in a new Data base model and make
> >> some tools to manage the ratings.
> >> I'm not sure i will have a lot of times to do that. Is there anyone
> >> interested in the project?
>
> >> Johannes, If i work on this, i will certainly take your offer of
> >> servers and space. Thank you.
>
> > I think the real hard work is the start... when we have all the data
> > in a database i think it would be easy to manage it...
>
> > i can give u my availability to work on it...
>
> > Pls let me know!!!
>
> I think the real work is coding the web-frontend. Putting some data in a
> database shouldnt be more than an afternoons work of a little perl/regex
> coding to convert it to the proper input format.
>
> If you are able and willing to help please state your area of expertise
> (e.g MySQL, PHP Programming, Website design ..) and probably your
> "credentials" e.g where you play, are you a prince and so on (and your
> real name). Don´t get me wrong, nobody should be excluded but we need to

> establish a basic level of trust which is often difficult over the Internet.

Credentials:
- professional website backend designer, field of expertise PHP/MySQL
- including two VTES related sites: Powerbase: Turku (http://
www.tenerdo.org/) and Secret Library (http://www.secretlibrary.info/)
- mailinglist and website manager of Turku VTES group since 2002 or so
- Powerbase: Turku already has an almost ready front-end for
tournament management and ratings calculation that could easily be
adapted to bigger workload and direct file imports

Gandalf78

Nov 23, 2009, 8:58:49 AM11/23/09

> >> Hello,
>
> >> I've talk about that with Robyn at the EC, she said that she could
> >> send me all the datas (on CDs). I don't know how the datas are
> >> managed. Maybe we can extract them in a new Data base model and make
> >> some tools to manage the ratings.
> >> I'm not sure i will have a lot of times to do that. Is there anyone
> >> interested in the project?
>
> >> Johannes, If i work on this, i will certainly take your offer of
> >> servers and space. Thank you.
>
> > I think the real hard work is the start... when we have all the data
> > in a database i think it would be easy to manage it...
>
> > i can give u my availability to work on it...
>
> > Pls let me know!!!
>
> I think the real work is coding the web-frontend. Putting some data in a
> database shouldnt be more than an afternoons work of a little perl/regex
> coding to convert it to the proper input format.
>
> If you are able and willing to help please state your area of expertise
> (e.g MySQL, PHP Programming, Website design ..) and probably your
> "credentials" e.g where you play, are you a prince and so on (and your
> real name). Don´t get me wrong, nobody should be excluded but we need to

> establish a basic level of trust which is often difficult over the Internet.

Credentials:
- medium level website designer
- good level with Photoshop/HTML/MySQL
Not so much but i think it's one more hand :-)

Johannes Walch

Nov 23, 2009, 10:24:49 AM11/23/09

Thats the point. We need many hands in this to make it reliable.

Hodgestar

Nov 23, 2009, 1:03:26 PM11/23/09
On Nov 23, 3:34 pm, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
> I think the real work is coding the web-frontend. Putting some data in a
> database shouldnt be more than an afternoons work of a little perl/regex
> coding to convert it to the proper input format.

Agreed that the real work is probably in sorting out the front end
(which
also happens to be where the problems in the current site are :).

> If you are able and willing to help please state your area of expertise
> (e.g MySQL, PHP Programming, Website design ..) and probably your
> "credentials" e.g where you play, are you a prince and so on (and your

> real name). Don´t get me wrong, nobody should be excluded but we need to

> establish a basic level of trust which is often difficult over the Internet.

I'm willing to find time to help out.

These days I'm mostly a Python developer but I've done my time in the
PHP salt mines and in web development. I'm also one of the developers
of
Sutekh (the lesser known VtES card management program :) and Prince of
Cape Town (I drew the short straw when the old prince left the
country :).

Schiavo
Simon

Patrick Benoit

Nov 25, 2009, 11:58:55 AM11/25/09
I'm a .Net developper (Asp.net, c#), with good knowledge of Miscrosoft
sql server and also Oracle.
I manage the region of south east of France for the game.

Robyn will send me all the data by mail, so I will say you how we can
manage them.

@Johannes: What is the language of the database you can offer?

I think we should try to work on an open source technology. What do
you think about it?

Johannes Walch

Nov 26, 2009, 3:33:33 AM11/26/09
to Patrick Benoit
Patrick Benoit schrieb:

> I'm a .Net developper (Asp.net, c#), with good knowledge of Miscrosoft
> sql server and also Oracle.
> I manage the region of south east of France for the game.
>
> Robyn will send me all the data by mail, so I will say you how we can
> manage them.

Cool. Probably have a look at it and let us know what you have found
out. I�ll talk to White Wolf so we can have an actual SQL dump of the thing.

> @Johannes: What is the language of the database you can offer?

MySQL would be best I guess.
Postgres also an option but I hate it :)

> I think we should try to work on an open source technology. What do
> you think about it?

Yeah, we need to keep a lid on the costs. So LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL
and PHP) seems the way to go.

I think neither the hits nor the number of records in the database will
be any kind of challenge, we are talking about a few thousand people
here with each having several hundred entries at best. Thats
database-peanuts.

I suggest we continue discussion and findings here in this open forum
for a while until we figure out a general solution. Once we start
developing we�ll move to our private develop forum.

JH

Nov 26, 2009, 10:48:24 AM11/26/09

LAMP is definitely the most cost efficient way to handle this. And
there are probably plenty of developers that could volunteer for this
project, me included.

I'm already starting to sketch the database requirements in Google
Wave, to where Josh favorably invited me to preview. I have 8
invitations to spare, if that could be used as a collaboration
platform for this project.

I'm also mapping if it would be feasible to use any components from my
already built local tournament database.

I uploaded a short demo of the interface into YouTube for your
pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3SEqWlIe0E

Patrick Benoit

Nov 27, 2009, 6:21:39 AM11/27/09
> pleasure:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3SEqWlIe0E- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

I'm on google wave too, with the adress iused to post here.

Gandalf78

Dec 4, 2009, 9:01:35 AM12/4/09
> > pleasure:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3SEqWlIe0E-Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

> > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -
>
> I'm on google wave too, with the adress iused to post here.

On the wave to do something good (i hope :-) ) i have made a little
upgrade to the archon file from WW.

In the standing sheet i have added the "Ranking Rating" column which
calculate automatically the rating for the current tournament...

I'll try in the next two tournament we'll have, to check if it works
good...

if anyone wants it to check/try pls send me a mail so i can send it
back

Byebye

PS: if u need any hands let me know, unfortunately i'm not on google
wave...