LSJ: Seduction and targeting question

Dasein

May 18, 2006, 8:12:55 PM5/18/06
This came up in a game last night. We were down to two Methuselahs;
myself playing !Ventrue and my opponent playing an all Imbued deck. I
attempted a bleed action with one of my vampires, and (because I wanted
to cycle cards) played Seduction, naming one of my vampires (my
prey/predator had only Imbued) as a vampire who cannot block. We argued
about this for a while; it seems illogical but I couldn't find anything
in the rules or card text that prevented it. The latest card text does
not specify that the vampire must belong to another methuselah. The
vampire wouldn't be able to block anyway, but I fail to see why that
matters. e.g. my prey has a tapped vampire with Pentex Subversion; I
can't see why I couldn't play Sleeping Mind at inferior on him.

relevant card text:

Seduction [Jyhad:C, VTES:C, SW:PV, CE:C/PV2, BH:PTr2]
Cardtype: Action Modifier

Discipline: Dominate

Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced.
[dom] Choose a younger vampire. He or she cannot block this acting
vampire.
[DOM] As above, but the affected vampire can be the same age or older.

Salem

May 19, 2006, 4:54:19 AM5/19/06
Dasein wrote:
> This came up in a game last night. We were down to two Methuselahs;
> myself playing !Ventrue and my opponent playing an all Imbued deck. I
> attempted a bleed action with one of my vampires, and (because I wanted
> to cycle cards) played Seduction, naming one of my vampires (my
> prey/predator had only Imbued) as a vampire who cannot block. We argued
> about this for a while; it seems illogical but I couldn't find anything
> in the rules or card text that prevented it.

what you did was perfectly legal.

another scenario where you might want to seduce someone who can't
normally block is when you bleed your prey, and your predator has a
scary vampire untapped. You Seduce the predator's vampire (who couldn't
be eligible to block normally) because don't want your prey to flick the
bleed back to him to get your vamp all torn up.

--
salem
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/vtes/

LSJ

May 19, 2006, 8:39:17 AM5/19/06
Salem wrote:
> Dasein wrote:
> > This came up in a game last night. We were down to two Methuselahs;
> > myself playing !Ventrue and my opponent playing an all Imbued deck. I
> > attempted a bleed action with one of my vampires, and (because I wanted
> > to cycle cards) played Seduction, naming one of my vampires (my
> > prey/predator had only Imbued) as a vampire who cannot block. We argued
> > about this for a while; it seems illogical but I couldn't find anything
> > in the rules or card text that prevented it.
>
> what you did was perfectly legal.

Correct

Ankur Gupta

May 19, 2006, 9:23:45 AM5/19/06

Wow, you must have been in a hurry, since you missed the ".". :)

Ankur

John Flournoy

May 19, 2006, 9:53:24 AM5/19/06

It's the new, extra-terse LSJ.

> Ankur

-John Flournoy

Ankur Gupta

May 19, 2006, 9:54:36 AM5/19/06
>>> Correct
>>
>> Wow, you must have been in a hurry, since you missed the ".". :)
>
> It's the new, extra-terse LSJ.

I nearly missed it, I did.

Ankur

Dasein

May 21, 2006, 7:45:10 PM5/21/06
Or for instance someone cross-table is playing a Lazverinus wall deck,
and Laz has an Eternal Vigilance, and keeps Eagle Sighting and blocking
everything ever. Oh well, good to know I did the right thing and stuck
to my guns and was vindicated.

XZealot

May 22, 2006, 8:32:23 AM5/22/06

You can't use Eagle Sight at Superior and Eternal Vigilence unless you
play a Wake/Forced first.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot