Blissful Agony vs Psyche!

Klai...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2007, 9:49:20 AM4/24/07
If vamp a plays Blissful Agony at superior to end combat and send vamp
b to fight vamp c, can vamp b use Psyche! to start new combat and stop
the go in combat with vamp c part from happening?

LSJ

Apr 24, 2007, 9:55:50 AM4/24/07

No. [RTR 01-MAY-2002]

Google: "Blissful Psyche author:LSJ"

witness1

Apr 25, 2007, 4:24:25 PM4/25/07

John Flournoy

Apr 25, 2007, 4:29:03 PM4/25/07

No, because another combat has already been queued by virtue of BA,
and once a new combat has been queued no other effects that would
start a new combat can be played (lots of NG articles on this.)

-John Flournoy

Wookie813

Apr 25, 2007, 11:27:35 PM4/25/07
On Apr 24, 9:55 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> Klaita...@gmail.com wrote:
> > If vamp a plays Blissful Agony at superior to end combat and send vamp
> > b to fight vamp c, can vamp b usePsyche! to start new combat and stop

> > the go in combat with vamp c part from happening?
>
> No. [RTR 01-MAY-2002]
>
> Google: "BlissfulPsycheauthor:LSJ"

I could not find a ruling on this on the All Rulings page on the WW
site. (Find: RTR 20020501)

I DID, however, find this ruling (Find: Psyche!)

# There is no room to play Psyche! (superior) between the time
Illusions of the Kindred ends combat and when the new combat begins.
So, when you play Illusions of the Kindred, Psyche! cannot be played.
[LSJ 19971003]
-------------------

I would guess this is the basis for the ruling on the interaction of
the cards. I note, though, that IotK is not a Strike: CE. It is simply
a combat card that ends combat, differentiating it from other CE vs
Psyche! rulings. Still, tapping Elysium to end combat isn't a strike,
but allows for Psyche! to be played.

I would think Psyche! checks to see if a combat has just ended. If
yes, and both combatants in said combat are still ready, it is
playable. Rulings that it cancels the extra effects of some of the
means for ending combat and not others is, IMO, unecessarily
complicated.

Notable Rulings (from http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings)

# If the strike does something in addition to ending combat, that
something takes place just after the combat ends. [RTR 19970630]

# Combat effects played at the end of a round/combat can be played
when the round ends via S:CE or similar. [RTR 20001020]

Psyche!:
# The superior will cancel any "continue action" effect produced
during the preceding combat (e.g. Form of Mist) [RTR 19950509]
# The superior is played after combat ends, even though the card is a
combat card. [RTR 19980928]
# Is played before superior Freak Drive or inferior Cats' Guidance can
be played to untap one of the combatants. (The combatants will have to
wait until after the next combat ends to play those cards.) [LSJ
19981216]
# No new cost need be paid for the block (Archon, Aching Beauty,
Donal, etc.) [TOM 19960303]
# The superior can be played before or after replacing any "Do Not
Replace Until After Combat" cards. [LSJ 19990322]

Psyche!
Type: Combat
Requires: Celerity
[cel] Press.
[CEL] Only usable at the end of combat when both combatants are still
ready. Begin another combat with the opposing minion.

Blissful Agony
Type: Combat
Requires: Valeren/Animalism
Cost: 1 blood
[ani] Strike: make a hand strike at +1 damage.
[val] Only usable at close range before strikes are chosen. Opposing
minion takes 1 unpreventable damage during strike resolution each
round this combat when the range is close. A vampire may play only one
Blissful Agony at [val] each combat.
[VAL] Strike: combat ends. Choose a minion controlled by a Methuselah
other than the opposing vampire's controller. The opposing vampire
enters combat with that minion.

James Coupe

Apr 26, 2007, 4:00:18 AM4/26/07
In message <1177558055.7...@t38g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

Wookie813 <veknp...@yahoo.com> writes:
>I would guess this is the basis for the ruling on the interaction of
>the cards. I note, though, that IotK is not a Strike: CE. It is simply
>a combat card that ends combat, differentiating it from other CE vs
>Psyche! rulings. Still, tapping Elysium to end combat isn't a strike,
>but allows for Psyche! to be played.

Elysium doesn't queue another combat.

>I would think Psyche! checks to see if a combat has just ended.

And that there isn't another combat queuing, because you cannot initiate
another combat if one is queued.

>If
>yes, and both combatants in said combat are still ready, it is
>playable.

Unless another combat is queued.

>Rulings that it cancels the extra effects of some of the
>means for ending combat and not others is, IMO, unecessarily
>complicated.

That's fine, because the ruling simply denies Psyche! being played in
some circumstances.

http://www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR512.txt

An effect which would cause (a new) combat cannot be used if
there is already a "to be resolved later" combat.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

LSJ

Apr 26, 2007, 6:52:41 AM4/26/07
Wookie813 wrote:
> On Apr 24, 9:55 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Klaita...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> If vamp a plays Blissful Agony at superior to end combat and send vamp
>>> b to fight vamp c, can vamp b usePsyche! to start new combat and stop
>>> the go in combat with vamp c part from happening?
>> No. [RTR 01-MAY-2002]
>>
>> Google: "BlissfulPsycheauthor:LSJ"
>

> I could not find a ruling on this on the All Rulings page on the WW
> site. (Find: RTR 20020501)

Sorry about that. I'll add it.

Wookie813

Apr 26, 2007, 6:37:07 PM4/26/07

Ah. So it's a "one pending combat at a time, please" thing. That makes
a great deal more sense. Thanks.