Las Vegas Qualifier unofficial report (LONG!!!)

librarian

Feb 22, 2010, 2:22:12 PM2/22/10
WARNING - I played over 10 games this weekend, and I will be
analyzing all of the ones I can remember...

Picked up Jeff Poole, Robert Scythe, Matt Wedge, and Andy
Fernandez (TorranceCircle) in Pasadena. We stuffed
ourselves into my hybrid Toyota SUV and headed off to Las
Vegas. Strangely, there are very few if any VTES references
to the City of Sin.

Anyway, traffic was light, and the drive was filled with
non-stop discussion about VTES - it was pretty awesome.

Got to hotel (Fitzgeralds, cheapest I could find thanks to
Kevin M.). Ran into Tatus at reservations, and agreed to
meet later to play.

After we took a brief break, we headed over to Hennesey's to
play some VTES, and refill our guts with nutrients and protein.

Decks I brought and their previous performance levels:

Relatively high performing tourney decks:
*Lutz - LAQ winner last year in LA

*Arika votey/bleedy/stealthy - 2nd place at previous
Qualifier, losing to ira due to bad play on my part

*Tzimisce Toolbox - has made it to finals, never won

*Guruhi bleed/vote, sort of toolboxy, made it to Edenic
finals, didn't win

Untested in tournament/Casual decks:
*Imbued Hunt denial deck

*Boffo Obfo - +1bleed guys with OBF. Oscar played it at the
NAQ when it was in LA and got GW and 4vp.

*Buddy Movie - Owain and Matthias

*Fight Club - Lazverinus/Ignazio Giovanni FOR/Pot/Dom deck

New Decks
*Weenie Brujah vote using g45

*Blood Brothers Torrance Circle SAN deck, focusing more on
Bloat than Bleed

*Ridiculous - ~30 redirection/Deflections, ~10 Suds/washes,
~10 Poison Pill/Delaying Tactics, ~12 Wake/OtQV, ~10 Life in
the City, ~10 Scouting Missions, 4 Storage Annexes, 4
Conditionings.

I'll list my games in order, with the venue and the deck
played, followed by players and seating order, although I
probably won't remember who went first, so the list only
will show seating order. Then I'll list the corresponding
decks below it. Then I'll discuss the game

Friday, February 19
Game 1, Hennesey's Las Vegas, Boffo Obfo

Scythe -> Wedge -> Poole -> Shorb -> Andy

? -> ? -> ? -> me -> Summon Spirit Beast block/combat deck

I don't remember much about this game, I don't even remember
what Jeff used to oust me. I do remember that I could have
got Andy I think if I hadn't villein'ed the Baron down to
only 1 blood. Had I left a couple more on him, I could have
got in 2-3 more bleeds.

Game 2, Pete Oh and Christian (Xian) Herro's room in the
Golden Nugget, Blood Brothers

Shorb - > Robyn Tatu -> Xian -> Peteo

BB -> !Nos Weenie -> FoS never saw what it did -> Assamite
Star Cannon

While I was able to get my Unwholesome Bonds off, I did not
have enough Walk of CAine's to oust Robyn. Robyn's weenie
!Nos/Obf bleeders ousted Xian's FoS deck just before Pete's
version of Matt Morgan's Star Cannon deck ousted me with
Revo Council. Pete beat Robyn in the head's up game.

Game 3, Pete/Xian's room, Buddy Movie

Shorb -> PeteO -> Wedge-> Andy -> gNat Hammond

Buddy Movie -> !Ven Block -> ? -> ? -> Gangrel g1/2 titled vamps

Pete was playing !Ventrue also, where Neighbor John was his
largest minion. Matthias never came up, so I was screwed in
my game. For the life of me, I can't remember what Matt and
Andy were playing. gNat ousted me with his Gangrel g1/2
titled vamps (including Quinton McDonnel - whoohoo!). I
think that game went to time.

Saturday, February 20

My thinking for the miniqualifier was that only one player
would Q out of the tourney, so I should bring the goods. So
I brought out a winner from previously, my Lutz All Out deck.

Game 4, Golden Nugget Merion Room, MiniQualfier Round 1, Lutz

Dave from Ohio -> Wedge -> Robyn - Shorb

Cesewayo No secrets - > Tsunda No Secrets -> Ash Harrison
Wall -> Lutz

Yes, I sat down with 3 wall decks. I got lucky, Dave did not
have Cese in his opening crypt, so instead he influenced
up... Ash Harrison. This of course screwed Robyn, and was
good for me. I eventually was able to chip away at Dave,
even after he got up Cese. My ousting (dick) move was to
play Banishment, and tell Dave I was going to banish Matt's
Tsunda. He declined to block, so I promptly declared terms,
and banished Dave's untapped Ash Harrison. With no No
Secrets on Cese, I was able to oust Dave. Matt and Robyn
fell soon after. Result: GW, 4VP.

Game 5, Golden Nugget Merion Room, MiniQualfier Round 2, Lutz

Darby Keeney -> Preston Poulter -> Shorb -> Norman Brown
(XZealot) -> Simeon from Ohio

Arika/Salubri I steal your vampire and do unspeakable things
to him, and you -> Cesewayo No Secrets -> Lutz -> Marcus
Vitel and his little Hermanas -> Brujah G45

Yay, again with the Cesewayo. Thankfully, I had Arika as my
predator, which I felt would take some pressure off of me
from Cese and the other Osebo vamp that Preston brought up.
However, the vote situation was very shaky, I did not have
the benefit of vote lock. Key play for my game was when
Darby called a Reins of Power. I surveyed the table. It
would reduce Norm to 6 pool, and Simeon to 5 pool. However,
I was not sure I could get through Norm before he could get
Simeon, so I voted it down. Duh. I should have trusted my
deck to cycle to what I would need - I think I could have
gotten Norm. Other *bad* play I made was to call an Ancient
Influence when Norm was at 5 pool. Duh. He never got in
striking range again. Darby got the sweep on that table.

I think I ended up 6th or 7th seed, and so did not make the
finals. If I had let the Reins pass, I might have gotten
Norm, and 1GW and 5 VP probably a pretty good chance at finals.

Anyway, that gave me the opportunity to play in a pick-up game.

Game 6, Golden Nugget Merion Room, Weenie Brujah Vote

Shorb -> Ian Lee -> Jeff Poole -> gNat -> David Litwin

Weenie Brujah vote -> Classic Ian Lee silliness, with Baali
-> Httb Kiasyd Starter -> Ankla Hotep monster bleed -> HttB
Samedi starter

So, I have the acknowledged weakest of the 4 HTTB starters
as my predator (although David is a good player, but still),
and Ian playing some wacky infernal deck as my prey, should
be a no-brainer - quick oust for shorb, leading to perhaps a
sweep and a cocktail with an umbrella, right? Uh, NO.

Big weakness of my deck was no stealth, and little combat.
Ian' was actually playing some sort of Baali WALL deck, with
Mary the Black's agg hands. I could only Staredown for so
long... I think gNat got Dave, then Ian got Jeff, then gNat
got me, and Ian killed gNat in the end game. Oh yeah, I had
Ian at 2-3 pool many times in the game - he Failsafed at
least twice. Bastard. :-)

Las Vegas North American Qualifier (LVNAQ)
So, when I went to vegas, my original plan was to play the
Fight Club deck in the Qualifier. But I had seen so many
block and fight decks in the first tourney, I thought folks
would be playing more bleed or vote in the 2nd, and I
expected very little combat. Also, my Ridiculous deck had
taken a VP or two on JOL. So I went with it. NOTE TO SELF:
JOL is not a good reflection of how your deck is going to do
at a continental Qualifier...

Game 7, Golden Nugget Merion Room LVNAQ Round 1, Ridiculous

Wedge -> Andy -> XZealot -> Shorb

Soul Scan for the Title in My Hand -> Toreador 2/3 Princes
-> Tupdogs -> Ridiculous

Well, first off, Matt Wedge's Soul scan deck is very cool.
I'll let him post it if he likes, or at least talk about it.
Anyway, right off, I forgot about the Norm factor in my
assessment of the metagame. I didn't bring up vamps for 3-4
turns, and probably shouldn't have done it all game, or at
least until I was at 5 pool or something. But I did bring
someone up, and it would promptly get dunked. Bah. Norm
crushed my every minion with Tupdoggies, and eventually got
me, and then Matt got everyone else with his Alastored
weenies. Andy probably should have hastened my demise, just
so Norm would put a ton of pressure on Matt. My Ridiculous
deck is awful for my grand prey in a 4 player - I put no
pressure on his pred/my prey. End result was Matt GW3VP,
Norm 1VP.

Game 8, Golden Nugget Merion Room LVNAQ Round 2, Ridiculous

Cameron (Domer?) -> Brandon Haas -> Dave Litwin -> Brad
Cashdollar -> Shorb

Lucita Anarch Hell for Leather -> Mid Cap Dominate Massive
Bleed -> Nos 1/2 Princes breedboon -> Brujah Dmitra Alastor
-> Ridiculous

I wish Brandon's deck was my predator, it would have been
great. But Brad saw Royce on my first turn, and I don't
think he ever bled me again, or maybe at the very end, when
all my vamps were in torpor. I got Cameron down to maybe
5-6 pool at one point, but since my deck wasn't offensive,
and Brad wasn't bleeding me, I never got further than that.
I did get to delay Brad's Alastor vote for at least 2,
maybe 3 turns - that was fun for me, frustrating for him no
doubt. Only misplay for me was I rescued Dave L's vamp from
torpor, when I should have let Brandon roll over Dave and
start pressuring Brad ASAP, hoping Brandon would get through
Brad and start bringing me those huge dominate bleeds my
deck thrives on. End result was Brad GW and 3VP, Brandon
1VP, Cameron 1VP.

Game 9, Golden Nugget Merion Room LVNAQ Round 3, Ridiculous

John Flournoy -> Dave Buerger -> shorb -> James Lin -> James
Messer

Kiasyd Toolbox -> Nos 1/2 Prince block -> Ridiculous ->
Something wacky with Aabts, Matthias, and Unre -> Maris/Lutz

I was able to get James because he influenced very low, and
Dave tested my defenses a couple of times. I may have also
washed/suddened some of James Lin's recursion. This was the
only game Scourge of Enochians hit the table, which wasn't
fun for me, but worse for James M's progeny. I do have a
copy of the Uncoiling in my deck. Fun moment - when I have
1 pool, James has 3 pool, and James calls Neonate Breach. I
play Poison Pill immediately (misplayed my first round). If
vote passes, both James and I are out, and then question is
can Dave oust John head to head. Or, does he take his
chance with trying to get my 1 pool. The memorable quote
for me was "How many redirections can he possibly have"?
Truth was, I had 3 redirectors in hand, and also top decked
one too. Dave (or maybe it was John) votes the vote down.
During my turn, I do indeed deflect all of Dave's bleeds
into James for the VP. I eventually get John too, but Dave
crushes me in the endgame. Result: 1GW 3VP.

Not enough to get into the final, in fact IIRC, it put me at
12th place. Things I learned about this deck - when I get
down to <5 pool, people start to really work hard to get
you. Which is actually better for me, because then they
will try to bleed me - which is actually what I want. I
have no answer to rush. As we drove home we discussed some
fixes for both of those issues, and Matt came up with a
single card that may work. A no-prize to anyone who was not
in our car to think of what card that is.

Cameron won the first tournament, but didn't play me in
preliminary rounds. Mark Loughman won the 2nd tournament,
but didn't play me in any preliminary rounds. Coincidence?

Finished off the night with a couple of casual games.

Game 10, Golden Nugget Merion Room, Fight Club

shorb -> Andy -> Robert Scythe -> Dave Litwin -> Matt Strehlow

Fight Club -> Valerius Maior -> Descent into Darkness ->
Cybele Great Beast -> Weenies getting Texbook Damnation

This game was funny, there were 3 players playing infernal
vamps. I never actually got to see what either Matt or
Andy's decks really did. David got Matt pretty fast, me
faster (drew very few delfections, and no rush, and no
Ignazio), and went through Andy too. I don't even know who
won that game between Robert and David.

Game 11, Golden Nugget Merion Room, Blood Brothers

shorb -> John Flournoy -> Robert Scythe -> Matt Strehlow ->
Andy Fernandez

Blood Brothers -> Maris Streck wall -> Hartmut Stover vote
-> Laibon weenie Vote -> Guruhi high-cap Vote

In a high vote environment, Mark's one bishop vote *won't*
do much good. I was able to bloat, but not really go
forward too much. Andy kept pounding me. Somehow, I was
able to get through Maris and John, using Claiming the Body,
which is very good. Claiming the Body also helps you bleed
a little more responsibly. However, I think we went to time
(2:12am!). Andy had me next round however I am sure, I was
hurting.

So, 11 games played. Decks I didn't play include 3 of the
tournament level decks, and the imbued. Why didn't I play
the proven performers? Mostly because they are old to me,
and I am more excited to try my new stuff out. But that
doesn't lead to wins. I may need to just keep riding those
horses, tuning them, until I know them inside and out, and
realize the threat vectors and understand how to deal with
them. I'm just not sure that's very interesting to me...

HUUUUUUUUGE KUUUUUUDOS to Kevin Mergen for organizing this
again, and thanks to Jeff, Robert, Andy, and Matt for
joining me on the ride, it went a lot faster than if I had
gone by myself.

Well, if you made it this far, give yourself a gold star.

best -

chris

Obtenebration

Feb 22, 2010, 2:38:19 PM2/22/10
> doubt.  Only misplay for me was I rescued Dave L's vamp from
> torpor, when I should have let Brandon roll over Dave and
> start pressuring Brad ASAP,

I was already gone by then, you rescued one of Brandon's Ventrue.

> This game was funny, there were 3 players playing infernal
> vamps.  I never actually got to see what either Matt or
> Andy's decks really did.  David got Matt pretty fast, me
> faster (drew very few delfections, and no rush, and no
> Ignazio), and went through Andy too.  I don't even know who
> won that game between Robert and David.

I eventually got Robert too, though it was close.

alex fnurp

Feb 22, 2010, 7:03:56 PM2/22/10
Awesome report! Very fun read :)

The Lasombra

Feb 22, 2010, 7:29:12 PM2/22/10
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:22:12 -0800, librarian wrote:

>WARNING - I played over 10 games this weekend, and I will be
>analyzing all of the ones I can remember...

another view of the day:

http://brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/search/label/VTES
or
http://brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/2010/02/55-tournament-report-for-las-vegas-mini.html

TorranceCircle

Feb 22, 2010, 7:31:54 PM2/22/10

> Picked up Jeff Poole, Robert Scythe, Matt Wedge, and Andy
> Fernandez (TorranceCircle) in Pasadena.  We stuffed
> ourselves into my hybrid Toyota SUV and headed off to Las
> Vegas.  Strangely, there are very few if any VTES references
> to the City of Sin.

Power base Las Vegas: any minion successfully bleeding this Methuselah
does not untap as normal during their next untap!

Quote: "Whatever we say here doesn't leave, Right?"
-Wedge

> Anyway, traffic was light, and the drive was filled with
> non-stop discussion about VTES - it was pretty awesome.

Good Times! Thanks for driving.

> *Blood Brothers Torrance Circle SAN deck, focusing more on
> Bloat than Bleed

Torrance!! Go rent the Stoned Age!!!

> Shorb -> PeteO -> Wedge-> Andy -> gNat Hammond
>
> Buddy Movie -> !Ven Block -> ? -> ? -> Gangrel g1/2 titled vamps
>
> Pete was playing !Ventrue also, where Neighbor John was his
> largest minion.  Matthias never came up, so I was screwed in
> my game.  For the life of me, I can't remember what Matt and
> Andy were playing.

Wedge had an assamit black hand deck and I was playing some Loki's
Gift silliness. I went forward a little too hard early on and gNat
pretty much Parity Shifted me out of the game to protect himself.

> This game was funny, there were 3 players playing infernal
> vamps.  I never actually got to see what either Matt or
> Andy's decks really did.  David got Matt pretty fast, me
> faster (drew very few delfections, and no rush, and no
> Ignazio), and went through Andy too.

Matt was planning to make some serious use of Kaymakli Fragment but
he was ousted before he could really get it going. I was planning on
rushing with serenading/blood fury/rego motus but alas my hand was
convoluted with junk I should just take out. I was salivating at the
chance to see Lazverinus take two blood furies for ten to the face!!!
Oh well.

>  I was able to bloat, but not really go
> forward too much.  Andy kept pounding me.  Somehow, I was
> able to get through Maris and John, using Claiming the Body,
> which is very good.  Claiming the Body also helps you bleed
> a little more responsibly.  However, I think we went to time
> (2:12am!).  Andy had me next round however I am sure, I was
> hurting.

I would have finished you that turn when I top decked the forced march
(using the Barrens) so I could call the KRC in my hand! Only to be
DI'd by my cross table ally Robert!

> HUUUUUUUUGE KUUUUUUDOS to Kevin Mergen for organizing this
> again, and thanks to Jeff, Robert, Andy, and Matt for
> joining me on the ride, it went a lot faster than if I had
> gone by myself.

Here, Here! Thanks Kevin!

-Andy

brandonsantacruz

Feb 22, 2010, 7:57:37 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 11:22 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> WARNING - I played over 10 games this weekend, and I will be
> analyzing all of the ones I can remember...

You did a much better job than be of remember who played what, but
here's my attempt at a report:

http://brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/2010/02/55-tournament-report-for-las-vegas-mini.html

The one game we were in together over the day of furious VTES, I was
suprized to see you rescue my guy and thought I had a chance to go
forward, but got rushed 1-2x per round and my prey was keeping guys
untapped. I fought against the Alastors all game, more because of the
rush than having a cheap gun. If 1/3 guys goes down to a block but I
hit you for 12 pool, I still win ;) I was not investigated by archons
all day, though they probably caught a wiff of that limburger of a
deck I was playing.

Brandon

ira...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 8:05:25 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 11:22 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> WARNING - I played over 10 games this weekend, and I will be
> analyzing all of the ones I can remember...

Awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to write it up, Shorb! I'm
sorry I missed it this year.

> Things I learned about [the deck with 30 bounces] - when I get

> down to <5 pool, people start to really work hard to get
> you.  Which is actually better for me, because then they
> will try to bleed me - which is actually what I want.  I
> have no answer to rush.  As we drove home we discussed some
> fixes for both of those issues, and Matt came up with a
> single card that may work. A no-prize to anyone who was not
> in our car to think of what card that is.

I don't know what the crypt is like, but if it's a bunch of dom/DOM
weenies, then perhaps Information Highway would be strong.

I also like Tye Cooper and Ambrosius if you're playing Giovanni. And
you could toss in a Secure Haven. Also, Edward Vignes has his special
ability to keep safe.

Ira

quickbeam

Feb 22, 2010, 9:12:37 PM2/22/10

I think he's talking about Absimiliard's Army. IIRC Peal used it in
his DoC deck to stop rushes.
-dc

librarian

Feb 22, 2010, 9:16:02 PM2/22/10
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 22, 11:22 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
>> WARNING - I played over 10 games this weekend, and I will be
>> analyzing all of the ones I can remember...
>
> Awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to write it up, Shorb! I'm
> sorry I missed it this year.

You were missed. The tables were surprisingly missing of
the intense negotiating aspect that seems to follow you. :-)

>> Things I learned about [the deck with 30 bounces] - when I get
>> down to <5 pool, people start to really work hard to get
>> you. Which is actually better for me, because then they
>> will try to bleed me - which is actually what I want. I
>> have no answer to rush. As we drove home we discussed some
>> fixes for both of those issues, and Matt came up with a
>> single card that may work. A no-prize to anyone who was not
>> in our car to think of what card that is.
>
> I don't know what the crypt is like, but if it's a bunch of dom/DOM
> weenies, then perhaps Information Highway would be strong.
>
> I also like Tye Cooper and Ambrosius if you're playing Giovanni. And
> you could toss in a Secure Haven. Also, Edward Vignes has his special
> ability to keep safe.

Yes, Edward is going into my next build. Info highway will
get me down in pool faster, but doesn't help with Rush.
Secure Haven helps with Rush, but not pool reductin (besides
it's cost). However, there is one card that will help with
both the Rush issue and the "too much pool" issue. It
appears once in the TWDA. And it may after all be very
janky, but entertaining enough for me to try it a couple of
times!

best -

chris

TorranceCircle

Feb 22, 2010, 9:37:59 PM2/22/10

> it's cost).  However, there is one card that will help with
> both the Rush issue and the "too much pool" issue.  It
> appears once in the TWDA.  And it may after all be very
> janky, but entertaining enough for me to try it a couple of
> times!
>
> best -
>
> chris

Hahahahahahaha!! They'll never get it!!

Robert Scythe

Feb 22, 2010, 9:39:52 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 6:16 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:

> Yes, Edward is going into my next build.  Info highway will
> get me down in pool faster, but doesn't help with Rush.
> Secure Haven helps with Rush, but not pool reductin (besides
> it's cost).  However, there is one card that will help with
> both the Rush issue and the "too much pool" issue.  It
> appears once in the TWDA.  And it may after all be very
> janky, but entertaining enough for me to try it a couple of
> times!

Oh, I remember what it was now. I want to see if it works!

librarian

Feb 22, 2010, 9:49:13 PM2/22/10

Ah, another good idea, may try that out too. But that's not it.

best -

chris

XZealot

Feb 22, 2010, 9:50:12 PM2/22/10

> Game 7, Golden Nugget Merion Room LVNAQ Round 1, Ridiculous
>
> Wedge -> Andy -> XZealot -> Shorb
>
> Soul Scan for the Title in My Hand -> Toreador 2/3 Princes
> -> Tupdogs -> Ridiculous
>
> Well, first off, Matt Wedge's Soul scan deck is very cool.
> I'll let him post it if he likes, or at least talk about it.
>   Anyway, right off, I forgot about the Norm factor in my
> assessment of the metagame.  I didn't bring up vamps for 3-4
> turns, and probably shouldn't have done it all game, or at
> least until I was at 5 pool or something.  But I did bring
> someone up, and it would promptly get dunked.  Bah.  Norm
> crushed my every minion with Tupdoggies, and eventually got
> me, and then Matt got everyone else with his Alastored
> weenies.  Andy probably should have hastened my demise, just
> so Norm would put a ton of pressure on Matt.  My Ridiculous
> deck is awful for my grand prey in a 4 player - I put no
> pressure on his pred/my prey. End result was Matt GW3VP,
> Norm 1VP.

Deck Name : Beastanarchasarus Rex v3
Author : Norman S. Brown, Jr
Description : This is an experiement in using Street Cred. Beast
takes actions against soft targets to play Street Cred to get Tupdogs
and the rest of the crypt out for free. The Tupdogs take down the
hard targets , and the !Tremere Graverob whichever pieces are left
laying around.

Crypt [14 vampires] Capacity min: 1 max: 7 average: 3

6x Tupdog 1 POT VIS Gargoyle:3
3x Beast, The Leather 7 OBF POT ani cel !Nosferatu:2
1x Thelonius 4 aus dom tha !Tremere:2
1x Brooke 3 dom tha !Tremere:2
1x Ember Wright 3 aus dom !Tremere:3
1x Saiz 3 aus dom !Tremere:3
1x Heinrick Schlempt 2 tha !Tremere:2

Library: (90)

Master: (14)
4x Effective Management
4x Fame
1x Anarch Revolt
1x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Haven Uncovered
1x Mob Connections
1x Perfectionist
1x Tension in the Ranks

Action: (15)
10x Computer Hacking
5x Graverobbing

Action Modifier: (4)
4x Conditioning

Ally: (2)
1x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
1x Mylan Horseed (Goblin)

Combat: (47)
11x Immortal Grapple
10x Torn Signpost
9x Street Cred
9x Taste of Vitae
7x Slam
1x Disarm

Equipment: (2)
1x Hand of Conrad
1x Ivory Bow

Reaction: (6)
6x Deflection

Curevei

Feb 22, 2010, 10:22:06 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 11:22 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> Anyway, that gave me the opportunity to play in a pick-up game.
>
> Game 6, Golden Nugget Merion Room, Weenie Brujah Vote
>
> Shorb -> Ian Lee -> Jeff Poole -> gNat -> David Litwin
>
> Weenie Brujah vote -> Classic Ian Lee silliness, with Baali
> -> Httb Kiasyd Starter -> Ankla Hotep monster bleed -> HttB
> Samedi starter
>
> So, I have the acknowledged weakest of the 4 HTTB starters
> as my predator (although David is a good player, but still),
> and Ian playing some wacky infernal deck as my prey, should
> be a no-brainer - quick oust for shorb, leading to perhaps a
> sweep and a cocktail with an umbrella, right?  Uh, NO.
>
> Big weakness of my deck was no stealth, and little combat.
> Ian' was actually playing some sort of Baali WALL deck, with
>   Mary the Black's agg hands.  I could only Staredown for so
> long...  I think gNat got Dave, then Ian got Jeff, then gNat
> got me, and Ian killed gNat in the end game.  Oh yeah, I had
> Ian at 2-3 pool many times in the game - he Failsafed at
> least twice.  Bastard.  :-)

gNat won. OTOH, Barbaro turned two vampires infernal, a better way to
describe the game than any other.

ira...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 10:31:59 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 6:16 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:

How about Gird Minions? That's janky, costs pool, and gives your
minions blood to get out of torpor. Unfortunately it's in the TWDA
more than once, so I guess that's not it.

Another hint, please!

Ira

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 12:01:37 AM2/23/10

As proof of its "jankiness", it was my suggestion.

Matt

Brum

Feb 23, 2010, 7:11:31 AM2/23/10

Without knowing the crypt it's hard. Is it independant from what crypt
you have?

Meej

Feb 23, 2010, 10:25:09 AM2/23/10
On Feb 22, 9:16 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> However, there is one card that will help with
> both the Rush issue and the "too much pool" issue.  It
> appears once in the TWDA.  And it may after all be very
> janky, but entertaining enough for me to try it a couple of
> times!

I'd have guessed Shock Troops, but that doesn't even appear once.

- D.J.

librarian

Feb 23, 2010, 11:46:17 AM2/23/10

> Without knowing the crypt it's hard. Is it independant from what crypt
> you have?

This is my new crypt, I took out many of the 4-caps with
only dom, and added Vignes.

Cameron
Chas Giovanni Tello
Christine Boscacci
Gloria Giovanni
Ingrid Russo
Marciana Giovanni, Investigator
Mustafa Rahman
Ohanna
Royce
Samson
3xEdward Vignes

However, the card I am thinking of is independent of the crypt.

best -

chris

librarian

Feb 23, 2010, 11:46:47 AM2/23/10

Oho, another challenge!

best -

chris

Sim

Feb 23, 2010, 2:33:47 PM2/23/10
> Game 5, Golden Nugget Merion Room, MiniQualfier Round 2, Lutz
>
> Darby Keeney -> Preston Poulter -> Shorb -> Norman Brown
> (XZealot) -> Simeon from Ohio
>
> Arika/Salubri I steal your vampire and do unspeakable things
> to him, and you -> Cesewayo No Secrets -> Lutz -> Marcus
> Vitel and his little Hermanas -> Brujah G45

I think SIMeon might be from Atlanta

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 2:36:22 PM2/23/10

> Well, first off, Matt Wedge's Soul scan deck is very cool.
> I'll let him post it if he likes, or at least talk about it.

Deck Name: Soul Scan for the clan that matches the title in your
hand
Created By: Matt Wedge w/ help from friends

I built this deck because of Kevin M. Just after KoT came out he had
a poll for the best Auspex card and to my surprise Soul Scan did not
even make his top 20, for me it is in the top five.

I missed the final by a VP or .5 for the coin flip. Sadly, I have
myself to blame. In the second round, I missed my prey by two pool,
which consequently is what he would gain, when I called Diversity. I
must have called four in that game, whatever it was, one to many is
what it was. I needed something to remind me where my prey was. In the
3rd round, Jeff Thompson got his 2nd VP on an unblocked govern bleed,
that I could have DI'd but didn't. I don't know if he had another
bleed card in hand or not.In the first round, I got ever vampire up
and could have had a title on each, but that would have been just for
ego.

Robert Scythe had suggested Change of Target and now I think it needs
a couple maybe one Strange Day as well.

Anyway here it you go

Matt

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 9, Max: 16, Avg: 3.33)
1 Calvin Cleaver for pro 3 Gangrel
1 Urenna Bunu ani pot pre 4 Guruhi
1 Meno Ngari abo 2 Akunanse
1 Michael Luther aus pre 4 Toreador
1 Mouse ani 2 Nosferatu
1 Panya cel pre 3 Ishtarri
2 Sean Rycek aus dem 4 Malkavian
1 Tarautas aus nec tha 4 Tremere
1 Elena Gutierrez aus dom pre 4 Ventrue
1 Ismitta aus cel pot 4 Osebo
1 Arnold Simpson pot 2 Brujah

Library: (61 cards)
-------------------
Master (9 cards)
5 Auspex
1 Creepshow Casino
1 Temptation of Greater Power
1 Tribute to the Master
1 Direct Intervention

Action (5 cards)
5 Soul Scan

Action Modifier (2 cards)
1 Cryptic Rider
1 Telepathic Vote Counting

Political Action (25 cards)
4 Alastor
1 Disputed Territory
5 Diversity
1 Gangrel Justicar
3 Kine Resources Contested
1 Malkavian Justicar
1 Nosferatu Justicar
2 Parity Shift
3 Reinforcements
1 Toreador Justicar
1 Tremere Justicar
1 Ventrue Justicar
1 Brujah Justicar

Reaction (6 cards)
2 On the Qui Vive
3 Telepathic Misdirection
1 Second Tradition: Domain, The

Ally (1 cards)
1 Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)

Equipment (9 cards)
3 Assault Rifle
1 Bowl of Convergence
1 Heart of Nizchetus
1 Ivory Bow
1 Signet of King Saul, The
1 Sargon Fragment

Combo (4 cards)
1 Akunanse Kholo
1 Guruhi Kholo
1 Ishtarri Kholo
1 Osebo Kholo

librarian

Feb 23, 2010, 2:51:16 PM2/23/10

Heh, well we never got to that conversation I guess, too
busy worrying about getting mind raped...

best -

chris

Dr.Mafrune

Feb 23, 2010, 2:59:03 PM2/23/10

Congratulations !!!! It´s amazing original, I like it very much.
I´m with you, soul scan is an underrated card.

John Flournoy

Feb 23, 2010, 3:05:35 PM2/23/10

Secret Passage?

-John Flournoy

XZealot

Feb 23, 2010, 3:29:39 PM2/23/10

Very good deck. I had the misfortune of being across the table from it.

librarian

Feb 23, 2010, 3:49:28 PM2/23/10

Nope. It was an uncommon in both sets in which it was printed.

best -

chris

librarian

Feb 23, 2010, 3:54:41 PM2/23/10

Also, SP shows up multiple times in TWDA.

best -

chris

Meej

Feb 23, 2010, 4:29:13 PM2/23/10

I've found something that meets all the criteria - jankiness, double-
uncommonness, only-one-copy-in-the-TWDA-ness, lower-your-pool-ness -
except that I'm not at all sure how it *helps* you survive Rush
combat, except maybe by getting the Rusher's attention to go
elsewhere... Am I on the right track? If I am, *boy* is that ever
janky.

- D.J.

Frederick Scott

Feb 23, 2010, 4:34:39 PM2/23/10
"wedge" <mat...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why no Ventrue Headquarters? Just because it's not a
title? It'd be useful.

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 4:51:21 PM2/23/10

Give that man a cigar.

Matt

Rehlow

Feb 23, 2010, 4:59:49 PM2/23/10
> Matt- Hide quoted text -

I couldn't get Bounty to work in a Parity Shift deck. I doubt it will
have more success here, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Later,
~Rehlow

Janne Hägglund

Feb 23, 2010, 5:09:23 PM2/23/10
wedge <mat...@gmail.com> writes:

> Deck Name: Soul Scan for the clan that matches the title in your
> hand
> Created By: Matt Wedge w/ help from friends

Wow. That. Is. A. Cool. Deck!

I salute you. The best ideas are the ones nobody has ever thought about
before, but which seem perfectly obvious after someone has invented them.

HG

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 6:47:14 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 1:34 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> "wedge" <matt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Why no Ventrue Headquarters? Just because it's not a
> title? It'd be useful.

Its was in the beta, just didn't make the cut. It can be suddened
etc...
Getting Sean (can be used more than once a turn) or Micheal (4-8 vote
swing) are better and they can act if the votes aren't needed.

thank you all for the kind words,

Matt

Frederick Scott

Feb 23, 2010, 8:00:11 PM2/23/10

"wedge" <mat...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:59005e62-d060-411a...@b5g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

Those are great vampires for this deck, I agree. It's unclear to me
why having them precludes Ventrue HQ. Is it just a question of
judgment that if you had a VHQ in your hand, you found that you'd
still rather Soul Scan for Sean or Michael than Elena out of fear
that if you Soul Scanned for Elena, the VHQ could then subsequently
get Reversed (and thus holding VHQ becomes a matter for, like,
the third, fourth, or fifth Soul Scan which you might well never
draw in most games)?

Fred

Meej

Feb 23, 2010, 9:02:39 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 4:59 pm, Rehlow <newsgr...@rehlow.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:51 pm, wedge <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 1:29 pm, Meej <djchag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I've found something that meets all the criteria - jankiness, double-
> > > uncommonness, only-one-copy-in-the-TWDA-ness, lower-your-pool-ness -
> > > except that I'm not at all sure how it *helps* you survive Rush
> > > combat, except maybe by getting the Rusher's attention to go
> > > elsewhere...  Am I on the right track?  If I am, *boy* is that ever
> > > janky.
>

> > Give that man a cigar.
>
> > Matt
>

> I couldn't get Bounty to work in a Parity Shift deck. I doubt it will
> have more success here, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

I appreciate the cigar (as long as it's just a cigar), but I'm with
Rehlow - somehow, this seems like a very dubious plan for it to do
anything other than lower your pool. Still - worth a try, I guess.

- D.J.

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 9:10:12 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 5:00 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> "wedge" <matt...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:59005e62-d060-411a...@b5g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

No, Sean and Micheal are good as soon as they come out. I do not have
to wait for my master phase to use their specials.
VHQ is a location and master, with all that implies. Pentex would go
in before VHQ, in fact must go in. An oversight on my part to be
sure.
The library must be tight. There just isn't room for it.

Matt

Dragar

Feb 23, 2010, 9:12:28 PM2/23/10
>   4  Alastor
>   3  Kine Resources Contested
>   2  Parity Shift
>   3  Telepathic Misdirection

very cool concept - can I ask how it does its ousting?

All I can find is 3 flicks, 3xKRC and 2 parity shifts that can really
do any pool damage, with the latter iffy in that you will probably
have a lot of pool (presumably the alastors/assault rifles are
partially to deplete it when needed)

Unless in very low combat environment I doubt it is swarming for
bleeds, what am I missing?

The Lasombra

Feb 23, 2010, 9:16:14 PM2/23/10
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:12:28 -0800 (PST), Dragar wrote:

>> � 4 �Alastor

>> � 3 �Kine Resources Contested
>> � 2 �Parity Shift
>> � 3 �Telepathic Misdirection

>very cool concept - can I ask how it does its ousting?

Having 7 minions when its prey has none. See also:
Alastor Rush with Assault Rifle

>All I can find is 3 flicks, 3xKRC and 2 parity shifts that can really
>do any pool damage, with the latter iffy in that you will probably
>have a lot of pool (presumably the alastors/assault rifles are
>partially to deplete it when needed)

Not so much, no.

>Unless in very low combat environment I doubt it is swarming for
>bleeds, what am I missing?

You seem to have missed:
3 Reinforcements

Which brought back Kine multiple times in my game against him.

Dragar

Feb 23, 2010, 9:25:19 PM2/23/10

> You seem to have missed:
> 3  Reinforcements
>
> Which brought back Kine multiple times in my game against him.

That would be what I was missing, thanks, make smore sense now

Have you considered an anathema for this deck? I've found it works
well with alastor/assault rifle, and is also useful to help people
cross-table

wedge

Feb 23, 2010, 9:46:31 PM2/23/10

Parity Shift, Alastor rush and Temptation of greater Power are the
cards I am using for control. Diversity is my bloat.
Anathema has a funny way of backfiring for me. I find its usefulness
varies with seating, more than I like.

Matt

Reyda !

Feb 24, 2010, 10:15:58 AM2/24/10

This deck must be the best of the world if you are nobody rushes you,
nobody bleeds you, nobody block your 1 stealth actions.
I'm sorry, i must be somewhat dumb, but even if you deserve kudos for
playing Soul Scan, i don't understand how it could ever win a
tournament with a defense that is so weak.

now ok, if you have to insult me add arguments about how the deck can
win. Thanks for you attention.

your beloved troll.

Message has been deleted

wedge

Feb 24, 2010, 10:54:14 AM2/24/10

It did not make the final. So, what am I going to say? You are right,
but given that criteria there are better decks.
One intercept is the worst off the three for this deck. laugh out loud

Matt

John Flournoy

Feb 24, 2010, 12:02:20 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 9:15 am, "Reyda !" <rey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This deck must be the best of the world if you are nobody rushes you,
> nobody bleeds you, nobody block your 1 stealth actions.
>
> I'm sorry, i must be somewhat dumb, but even if you deserve kudos for
> playing Soul Scan, i don't understand how it could ever win a
> tournament with a defense that is so weak.

At least as far as bleeding goes, it has a little defense against that
in terms of just not spending pool - it'll spend 13 pool to get 4
minions out, and some of its votes not only give it more pool but can
get passed by offering pool elsewhere - pass a Parity Shift or
Diversity and that's more pool to soak bleeds with (or get more
minions out, or both.)

And yes, many of its actions are at one stealth. However, in the one
game I witnessed partway through, Matt had eight minions in play; very
few decks are going to reliably be able to block anything close to
that many potential actions. Plus it makes it hard to judge whether or
not it's worth blocking the first action when you know it might be
taking further actions that could be more important, etc etc.

So sure, the deck has some weaknesses. But most decks do, and it
certainly caught a lot of opponents off-guard.

My suggestion would be to give the deck a try in a casual game and see
how it plays for you.

-John Flournoy