Ohio Qualifier (TWD)

The Lasombra

Apr 23, 2009, 10:41:52 PM4/23/09
Great Lakes Regional Qualifier
Columbus, Ohio
April 19, 2009
23 players
3R + F

Mark Loughman's Tournament Winning Deck 3 VPs in the Finals

Deck Name : Traditional Princess
Author : Mark Loughman
Description : I re-tooled my Carna deck after KoT came out.
Eyes of Argus is _SO_ efficient for this scheme that I was
able to slide in a touch more combat (Rego Mortus). I also
went to 4 Smiling Jacks. A first turn Jack means I don't have
to worry about a time out at the table. Ponticulus is also very cool.

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 3 max: 7 average: 5.33333
4x Carna, The Princess Witch 7 AUS DOM THA primogen Tremere:3
2x Neighbor John 5 AUS dom for !Ventrue:4
2x Martin Franckel 3 AUS tha Tremere:3
1x Valois Sang, The Watcher 6 AUS DOM nec tha Tremere:3
1x Cohn Rose 5 THA aus dom pre Tremere:3
1x Frondator 5 AUS dom tha bishop !Tremere:4
1x Maldavis 4 AUS for pre Caitiff:3

Library [90 cards]
Action [9]
6x Govern the Unaligned
3x Magic of the Smith

Action Modifier [8]
4x Conditioning
4x Mirror Walk

Ally [2]
1x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
1x Ponticulus

Combat [15]
4x Apportation
3x Aura Reading
2x Rego Motus
6x Theft of Vitae

Equipment [9]
2x .44 Magnum
1x Bowl of Convergence
1x Heart of Nizchetus
1x Ivory Bow
2x Leather Jacket
1x Sniper Rifle
1x Sport Bike

Master [14]
1x Arcane Library
2x Blood Doll
1x Chantry
1x Direct Intervention
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Fame
1x Powerbase: Montreal
1x Rack, The
4x Smiling Jack, The Anarch

Reaction [33]
6x Deflection
2x Eagle's Sight
3x Eyes of Argus
3x Forced Awakening
2x Melange
3x My Enemy's Enemy
4x On the Qui Vive
2x Precognition
3x Spirit's Touch
2x Telepathic Misdirection
3x Wake with Evening's Freshness

Jay Kristoff

Apr 23, 2009, 11:06:08 PM4/23/09
On Apr 23, 10:41 pm, The Lasombra wrote:
> Great Lakes Regional Qualifier
> Columbus, Ohio
> April 19, 2009
> 23 players
> 3R + F
>
> Mark Loughman's Tournament Winning Deck 3 VPs in the Finals

Thanks for the post Jeff.

Additional information:

Final Standings

Final Rank Name Prelim GWs Prelim VPs Final VPs TPs
1 Mark Loughman 1 5 3 126
2 Evan Lloyd 2 8 2 168
3 Kurt Kopp 3 12 0 180
4 Brad Cashdollar 2 5.5 0 148
5 Will Kristoff 1 5.5 0 132
6 David Lees 1 4 130
7 Craig Hartman 1 4 114
8 Bob Joseph 1 4 106
9 Wurm Wall 1 3.5 124
9 John Bell 1 3.5 124
11 David Setty 0 2 90
12 Chris Stitzlein 0 1.5 108
13 Jacob Williams 0 1 100
13 Ankur Gupta 0 1 100
15 Andrew Strack 0 1 94
16 James Messer 0 0.5 88
17 Neil Paananen 0 0.5 82
18 Jonathan Morris 0 0 80
19 Mike Manning 0 0 74
20 Connor Bell 0 0 72
21 Nick Smith 0 0 70
22 Cory Busch-Kendall 0 0 66
DQ Robert Little 0 1 72

Robert Little disappeared after round 2.

6 players qualified:
Mark Loughman
Evan Lloyd
Kurt Kopp
Will Kristoff
Brad Cashdollar
David Lees

Organizer qualified:
Jay Kristoff

This was the tournament with the 2 hour preliminary rounds 2.5 hour
final to which some newsgroup readers took exception. The additional
time in the final did make a difference. The players took their time,
joked, and laughed. At the 2 hour point in the final round Evan Lloyd
had 2 VPs and Mark had 1. Tweleve minutes later, Mark had 3 to Evan's
2. The finalists were reminded of the extra time before the game. I
heard no complaints from them on that subject either before or after
the final round.

Photos of both of the weekend's events can be found here:
http://www.comicshopplus.com/site/album.php?u=10

Big thanks go to:

Everyone who played
Will Kristoff for use of his computer.
The Guardtower for hosting.
Bob Joseph for coordinating the weekend with me.
Oscar Garza and CCP North America for juicy prize support.

good times,

Jay Kristoff
V:EKN Prince of Columbus, Ohio USA

ben...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2009, 12:04:38 AM4/24/09
Lasombra Jeff wrote:
> Mark Loughman's Tournament Winning Deck 3 VPs in the Finals
>
> Deck Name : Traditional Princess
> Author : Mark Loughman

Oh, god, that fucking deck again...er...I mean...Congratulations,
Mark!!!

;)

- Ben Peal

extrala

Apr 24, 2009, 7:43:25 AM4/24/09
On Apr 24, 5:06 am, Jay Kristoff <jaykrist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 10:41 pm, The Lasombra wrote:

> Final Rank Name Prelim GWs Prelim VPs Final VPs TPs
> 1 Mark Loughman 1 5 3 126
> 2 Evan Lloyd 2 8 2 168
> 3 Kurt Kopp 3 12 0 180
> 4 Brad Cashdollar 2 5.5 0 148
> 5 Will Kristoff 1 5.5 0 132
What decks did the other finalists play?

Regards, Ralf

================
http://extrala.blogspot.com

Jay Kristoff

Apr 24, 2009, 10:26:10 AM4/24/09
On Apr 24, 7:43 am, extrala wrote:

> > Final Rank Name Prelim GWs Prelim VPs Final VPs TPs
> > 1 Mark Loughman 1 5 3 126
> > 2 Evan Lloyd 2 8 2 168
> > 3 Kurt Kopp 3 12 0 180
> > 4 Brad Cashdollar 2 5.5 0 148
> > 5 Will Kristoff 1 5.5 0 132
>
> What decks did the other finalists play?

In seating order:

Brad: group 1-2 Toreador block with CEL .44s
Mark: Traditional Princess (Carna and friends block/bleed)
Kurt: Stanislava and other DOM Gangrel mega-bleed
Evan: Assamite swarm bleed with Alamut and Reckless Agg.
Will: Rebekka, Chantry Elder and others with THA AUS pre dom bleed/
block

Evan ousted Will, then Brad.
Mark ousted Kurt, then Evan.

thanks,

Jay Kristoff, V:EKN Prince of Columbus, Ohio USA

robert joseph

Apr 24, 2009, 11:12:57 AM4/24/09
Jay Kristoff <jaykr...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 23, 10:41 pm, The Lasombra wrote:
>> Great Lakes Regional Qualifier
>> Columbus, Ohio
>> April 19, 2009
>> 23 players
>> 3R + F
>>

> Big thanks go to:

> Everyone who played
> Will Kristoff for use of his computer.
> The Guardtower for hosting.
> Bob Joseph for coordinating the weekend with me.
> Oscar Garza and CCP North America for juicy prize support.

and thanks to Jay for running a great qualifier.

I'll post a report for my tournament from Saturday as soon as James
Messer gets around to providing a decklist...

--
Bob Joseph jos...@cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~joseph

Salem

Apr 24, 2009, 8:27:03 PM4/24/09
Jay Kristoff wrote:

> This was the tournament with the 2 hour preliminary rounds 2.5 hour
> final to which some newsgroup readers took exception. The additional
> time in the final did make a difference. The players took their time,
> joked, and laughed. At the 2 hour point in the final round Evan Lloyd
> had 2 VPs and Mark had 1. Tweleve minutes later, Mark had 3 to Evan's
> 2. The finalists were reminded of the extra time before the game. I
> heard no complaints from them on that subject either before or after
> the final round.

for what it's worth, I've always been a fan of that method of time
allocation (3x2hr + 2.5), where venue bookings can accommodate it. Glad
to hear it worked out for you guys.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Kevin M.

Apr 24, 2009, 10:08:26 PM4/24/09
The Lasombra wrote:
> Great Lakes Regional Qualifier
> Columbus, Ohio
> April 19, 2009
> 23 players
> 3R + F
>
> Mark Loughman's Tournament Winning Deck 3 VPs in the Finals
[snip decklist]

Ok, so that's now FOUR Ohio players that no longer have to play
silly +5 intercept decks.

You got all that? Thanks. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/

berni...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2009, 4:02:44 PM4/26/09
Congrats to Mark!

Nice to see John Bell showed up as well.

jason...@iinet.net.au

Apr 26, 2009, 8:07:05 PM4/26/09

> for what it's worth, I've always been a fan of that method of time
> allocation (3x2hr + 2.5), where venue bookings can accommodate it. Glad
> to hear it worked out for you guys.

Ditto. We always run 2 + 2.5 here.

jase

ben...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 9:32:17 AM4/27/09
Bernie wrote:
> Congrats to Mark!
>
> Nice to see John Bell showed up as well.

And Mike Manning! He was one of the Rhode Island players who moved
to Kentucky several years ago.

- Ben Peal