TWD - North Central Region NAC qualifier

Jon

Aug 30, 2009, 2:59:06 PM8/30/09
North American Championship Qualifier Colorado
Wheatridge, CO
August 29, 2009
12 players
3R + F

Jon Sushinsky's Tournament Winning Deck with 3 VPs in the finals.

Deck Name: Colorado NAC Qualifier winner
Created By: jon
City and 3-4
minions for Anarch Converts in the next iteration of this deck. This
is one of
the decks I have had the most fun playing this year and it seems to
win games
more often than it should. It's certainly toolboxy, but it has ousting
power in
lunges and hasn't ever really not been in the game when I've played
it. It runs
into trouble against wall decks as it's prey and we have more than our
share of
them in CO, so I've upped the combat ability (and added in the Cloak
of the
Abalone to help against that - it should actually have made that a
Signet of
King Saul, but I didn't have one handy when I slipped it in prior to
the
tournament).

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 7, Max: 24, Avg: 4)
1 Fish pre ANI POT 5 Guruhi
1 Emerson Wilkershire III pre 2 Toreador
1 Reverend Adams aus PRE 3 Caitiff
2 Toby ani obf pre 5 Nosferatu
(Obviously a key vampire, but I did want the diversity so I could
potentially
get out 7-8 vampires in a game. It didn't happen yesterday because
Undue
Influence for 1 got blocked/reduced more often than usual).
1 Justine Chen pre 2 Toreador Antitribu
1 Aimee Laroux for pre 2 Daughters of Cacophony
1 Lumumba ani PRE 4 Guruhi
1 Gentha Shale pot spi ANI PRE 6 Ahrimanes
1 Batsheva (ADV) abt pot ANI PRE 6 Guruhi
1 Muricia ANI PRE SPI 7 Ahrimanes
1 Dirk pre 1 Caitiff

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (19 cards)
1 Anarch Railroad
1 Heidelberg Castle, Germany
1 Club Illusion
1 Anarch Free Press, The
2 Twilight Camp
1 Seattle Committee
1 Poacher's Hunting Ground
1 KRCG News Radio
4 Blood Doll
4 Galaric`s Legacy
2 Archon Investigation

(The AIs were added in after too many casual games with Lucian Bleeds
with
Brutal Influence...I almost took out the Anarch Railroad right before
the
tournament for one of the AIs, but glad I didn't. I only used it 3-4
times for
stealth during the tournament, but it was necessary for the winning
bleed in the
final. In the final I had out all of the permanent masters except that
I got no
blood dolls at all.)

Action (15 cards)
1 Aranthebes, The Immortal
13 Undue Influence
1 Constant Revolution

(Constant Revolution only hit the table in round 2 - blocked in round
3 and the
final. In round two it got up to 7 because I played it after I set up
my
block/combat ability and all remaining plaers were low on pool. It
decked the
Keystone Kine deck that was my prey and which had gotten the first two
vps at
the table. That gave me the 2-2 tie and a seat in the final.)

Action Modifier (8 cards)
6 Power of One
2 Monkey Wrench

(Darby and Bill were both terrified of the Monkey Wrench ability of
the deck,
but it is only there as a lunge, I prefer the stealth in Power of One
to the
more easily blocked Monkey Wrench. Maybe with Life in the City I add a
few
more?)

Reaction (7 cards)
4 On the Qui Vive
3 Forced Awakening

Combat (26 cards)
8 Staredown
2 Canine Horde
4 Pack Alpha
6 Carrion Crows
2 Dragon`s Breath Rounds
4 Concealed Weapon

Ally (1 cards)
1 Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)

Retainer (6 cards)
3 Raven Spy
1 Owl Companion
1 Tasha Morgan
1 Murder of Crows

Equipment (8 cards)
1 Anarch Manifesto, An
3 Saturday-Night Special
1 Cloak of the Abalone
3 .44 Magnum

(Cloak of the Abalone should be a Signet of King Saul as mentioned
previously, I
just didn't have one handy.)

This deck was last saved at 11:50:20 AM on 8/30/2009

The Final Round (and list of qualifiers) was:
Darby Keeney (weenie presence bleed) ->
Dennis (sorry Dennis I don't know that I've ever known your last name;
Kindred Spirits stealth bleed) ->
Jeff Goss (Tremere and Orlando Parity Shift) ->
Kelly Schultz (Lazverinus blocks everything) ->
Jon Sushinsky (PRE/ANI Anarch bleed)

Wall decks are super prevalent in CO, so there were very few game wins
on the day. 0GW, 3.5VPs was good enough for 3rd seed going into the
finals. I chose to prey on Darby. Dennis chose to sit as Darby's prey
knowing only that Darby was playing bleed (and that he was ousted by
me in round 3). Kelly chose to sit as my predator.

In the final, seating was paramount to my success. Darby came out hard
and strong, but tried playing weakling. It didn't work. Fortunately
for me his first predator bled with Kindred Spirits back for 5 to try
and give me a chance to take out Darby. I wasn't able to finish it
though and Darby got through for 13 the next turn to take out Dennis.
Jeff survived for a turn by relieving me (the only available target)
of 4 pool with a Parity Shift and I bled into Darby. Darby bleed Jeff
pretty low and he responded with a Parity shift back and a KRC back
that I agreed to take the 1 floating damage so Kelly wouldn't block
it. That left Darby with only 1 blocker and 3 pool so I was able to
finish him without playing cards. My first oust was almost solely the
result of two grand predator's back-ousting Darby for me.

The second phase of the game I needed time to prepare. Dennis' and
Darby's ousts were so fast that I had no chance to set up. To
facilitate that I made a no aggression pact with Jeff to oust Kelly.
Kelly's deck in a three player game is brutal. His goal at that point
would have been to just hold off Jeff and put all of my guys in torpor
and eventually draw into the bleed. Kelly made the mistake of
forgetting about my Anarch Free press on a hunt with Mathias that I
blocked and sent him to torpor. Once we realized he was hand jammed
without Fortitude and me playing serious defense it was pretty easy to
finish him off.

So, two players left in the game with 1 VP each and a lot of pool
each. Unfortunately for Jeff I had the permanents. I had enough
intercept on table to stop anything Jeff wanted to do. I also had Toby
and Club illusion. The HG and Twilight camp kept Toby full and a bunch
of three bleeds at stealth with me bloating through the Undue
Influences and the game was over quickly.

I'm surprised that Kelly chose to sit as my predator and not as my
prey. I would have gotten nowhere with him as my prey, but I suppose
he also knew that Darby might run away with the game win if he didn't
have enough pressure on him and I was more capable of providing that
in the early game.

Jon