NEW YORK QUALIFIER - This is it!

adam....@gmail.com

May 23, 2008, 3:46:45 AM5/23/08
Okay guys, this is it! I hope to see you all there. :)

NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
Date: Saturday May 24th
Start Time: 12:30
3 Rounds + Final
Time Limit Per Round: 2 Hours
Cost: $15

Location:
Neutral Ground (New Address!)
15 West 37th St NY, NY 10018
1-212-633-1288

Once again, New York City is having a qualifier!
Come on down and have some fun playing VTES and enjoying our city!
In addition to the qualifier we are also having two other tournaments
on the Friday and Sunday.

Friday May 23th
"Domain Challenge" - Constructed
Start Time: 6:30-7pm
2 Rounds + Final
Time Limit Per Round: 2 Hours
Cost: $5

Sunday May 25th
"Urban Jungle" - Draft (Recursion) - 7 Packs
Start Time: 12:30-1pm
2 Rounds + Final
Time Limit Per Round: 2 Hours
Cost $20

Peter D Bakija

May 25, 2008, 11:08:01 AM5/25/08
On May 23, 3:46 am, "adam.hu...@gmail.com" <adam.hu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Okay guys, this is it! I hope to see you all there. :)
>
> NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
> Date: Saturday May 24th
> Start Time: 12:30
> 3 Rounds + Final
> Time Limit Per Round: 2 Hours
> Cost: $15

Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
showed up. The final round and 5 qualifiers were:

-Matt Morgan (wins final): Spell of Life Mummy deck.
-Cory Seigel (? I think that's his last name): Giovanni bleedzooka
deck.
-Peter Bakija: Gangrel weenie vote deck.
-Dave Conroy: Weenie dom/obf S+B deck.
-Jesse Cross Nickerson: Assamite/Obf BH deck.

The final round was something like Dave starts bleeding Jesse really
quickly. Jesse tries to stay alive. Matt starts playing Spell of Life.
Cory gets out Ambrogino Giovanni and advances him, and bleeds me for
6. Sadly, I have no Archon Investigation in hand. Till the next turn.
My deck kind of craps out, and I don't draw many votes, but whittle
Dave down some anyway. Dave ousts Jesse. Matt keeps setting up and
keeping his head above water as Dave bleeds him down, but by now, Matt
has 2 intercept locations and Carlton in play. Cory keeps bleeding me
for 3 at +1 stealth, rapidly degrading my pool. I continue not drawing
Con Boons or Parity Shifts and end up at 4 pool, but get Dave down to
3 or 4 pool as well. Dave bleeds Matt for 4 at +3 stealth. Matt
Deflects him (with Black Lotus) into Cory, who Deflects him into me. I
Archon Investigate Dave's guy and get to live at 1 pool. Dave again
bleeds Matt for 4 at +3 stealth. Matt again Deflects him into Cory who
again Deflects him into me. I'm ousted. Matt gets a 4th Spell of Life
into play. Cory ousts Dave. Matt gets a 5th Spell of Life, makes 5
huge mummies, and proceeds to beat Cory's two vampires into torpor,
ousting him not too soon after. A fun, excellent, quick final--we were
done in 46 minutes. Suck on that, slow people!

:-)

A great event, very well run. My appologies to Adam for trumping his
tournament report, but I'm impatient, and he's off running the Sunday
draft.

-Peter

Peter D Bakija

May 29, 2008, 11:46:45 AM5/29/08
On May 25, 11:08 am, Peter D Bakija <p...@lightlink.com> wrote:
> A great event, very well run. My appologies to Adam for trumping his
> tournament report, but I'm impatient, and he's off running the Sunday
> draft.

Hey--we gonna get an official report soon?

:-)

-Peter

Matthew T. Morgan

May 29, 2008, 5:35:45 PM5/29/08
On Sun, 25 May 2008, Peter D Bakija wrote:

> On May 23, 3:46 am, "adam.hu...@gmail.com" <adam.hu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Okay guys, this is it! I hope to see you all there. :)
>>
>> NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
>> Date: Saturday May 24th
>> Start Time: 12:30
>> 3 Rounds + Final
>> Time Limit Per Round: 2 Hours
>> Cost: $15
>
> Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
> showed up.

We had 17 players, so most of the tables were of 4. The only 5 player
table I sat at was the final. The night before I played a Loss bleed deck
that had come highly recommended and got only 1 VP with it, so it was with
great humility that I selected Mummy Strength! as my deck of the day.
Actually, it was the only deck I had with me that A) might be good, B)
hadn't already won a tournament and C) wasn't that Loss deck from the
night before.

Game 1:

Selen (Akunanse bleed/fight/block)->Kurt (Lasombra bleed/vote)->Lev
(Turbo-Baron with other tricks)-> me

Kurt came out strong voting and bleeding at Lev, whose deck went in
sputters and lurches like a Buick with a bad exhaust system (or
something). I quickly piled up three Spells of Life, but couldn't draw
any more for a while. I didn't have much to pressure Selen with, so she
built up rather well, getting 3 permanent bleed on Matata.

Still failing to draw additional Spells, I got out Carlton, Qetu and a
couple media outlets, to make life even more difficult for Lev. I also
stopped Matata from getting any intercept retainers, keeping my allies
alive thanks to the FBI and Matata being low on blood. I bled Selen a
couple of times, but she kept moving forward. I wasn't much help to Kurt
and he was ousted not long after. Lev held out for a while with Minion
Taps and stuff and managed to get quite a few minions into play with the
Baron/Soul Gem trick, but couldn't really get through my blockers.

I finally got the extra Spells I needed and stealth-bled out Selen with
the Spell of Life mummies and Qetu. After that, Lev attacked me for all
he was worth, but he couldn't oust me. I bled him out the next turn.

3 VP

Game 2:

Ben (not Peal, Kindred Spirits bleed)->Ray (Arms Dealers, Grenades,
Bombs)-> Kurt (same as before)-> me

My deck flowed a little better this time. I think I played a Spell of
Life almost every turn. I also played Centralized Background Check on
turn 1, which totally hoses Ray. Lucky for him, he drew an early Arson
and I had no problem with him torching the thing. Just a little bit of
amusement there.

Ben got out William Biltmore and bled Ray for a lot, which Ray didn't
like. Soon enough the Havens went backward and Ben was in a bad way.
Kurt got out Polonia and Banjoko and managed to inflict some harm on me.
The Spell happened a bit sooner this game, so soon I had rushers aplenty
to go forward and back. My pool level was a bit low and I was concerned
about Kurt's potential to lunge and get me so I elected to completely
hamstring him, even if that meant giving up the VP to Ray. As things
turned out, Ray had no lunge prepared and had to try to come backward
again. It didn't work this time and I ended up with the sweep.

4 VPs

Game 3:

Me->John Whelan (Anarch Revolt POT rush)->Ben Peal (obf/War
Ghouls/Underbridge Strays/Nocturns)->John Mickle (Anarch Revolt CEL rush)

Oof, tough spot for me. This ended up being a very interesting game, but
not for me. John Mickle basically squished me fast with a Fame
multi-dunk. What really nailed me was I bought expensive allies in hopes
of blocking/slowing him down for a while and he sailed right past them
with Resist Earth's Grasp. Oh well, 3 GW is unlucky.

After I was ousted the game ground to a halt for a while with nobody doing
very much. Ben managed to end the standoff by blocking John Whelan a lot
with War Ghouls and beating his guys down while there were 8 Anarch
Revolts in play. John Mickle saw the opening and lunged, but couldn't
quite oust. That left him vulnerable to War Ghoul rushes. Ben beat down
both of John Mickle's Anarchs and the latter died to the Anarch Revolts.
Ben then gave John Whelan more of the same.

0 VPs

> The final round and 5 qualifiers were:
> -Matt Morgan (wins final): Spell of Life Mummy deck.
> -Cory Seigel (? I think that's his last name): Giovanni bleedzooka
> deck.
> -Peter Bakija: Gangrel weenie vote deck.
> -Dave Conroy: Weenie dom/obf S+B deck.
> -Jesse Cross Nickerson: Assamite/Obf BH deck.

Yeah, I was top seed and having trouble chosing my seat. Cory actually
suggested I pick that one and man was he ever right. Jesse has no bounce
and builds up slow. I was most afraid of Peter's deck because I don't
have a lot of vote defense and I knew he ran a lot of Earth Melds. I
could've chosen to sit on the other side of Jesse, but I think that
would've been a big mistake.

> The final round was something like Dave starts bleeding Jesse really
> quickly. Jesse tries to stay alive. Matt starts playing Spell of Life.
> Cory gets out Ambrogino Giovanni and advances him, and bleeds me for
> 6. Sadly, I have no Archon Investigation in hand. Till the next turn.
> My deck kind of craps out, and I don't draw many votes, but whittle
> Dave down some anyway. Dave ousts Jesse. Matt keeps setting up and
> keeping his head above water as Dave bleeds him down, but by now, Matt
> has 2 intercept locations and Carlton in play. Cory keeps bleeding me
> for 3 at +1 stealth, rapidly degrading my pool. I continue not drawing
> Con Boons or Parity Shifts and end up at 4 pool, but get Dave down to
> 3 or 4 pool as well. Dave bleeds Matt for 4 at +3 stealth. Matt
> Deflects him (with Black Lotus) into Cory, who Deflects him into me. I
> Archon Investigate Dave's guy and get to live at 1 pool. Dave again
> bleeds Matt for 4 at +3 stealth. Matt again Deflects him into Cory who
> again Deflects him into me. I'm ousted. Matt gets a 4th Spell of Life
> into play. Cory ousts Dave. Matt gets a 5th Spell of Life, makes 5
> huge mummies, and proceeds to beat Cory's two vampires into torpor,
> ousting him not too soon after. A fun, excellent, quick final--we were
> done in 46 minutes. Suck on that, slow people!

Yeah, that's about right. I think that if you'd had that Archon
Investigation a turn earlier, you might've won because Cory wouldn't have
been able to inflict enough pool damage to oust you before your deck
stabilized. I don't like my deck's chances against yours in a duel.

Lucky for me irresponsible bleeding (and heck bouncing, I was pretty sure
Dave's bleeds would end up in your lap) saves the day again!

> A great event, very well run. My appologies to Adam for trumping his
> tournament report, but I'm impatient, and he's off running the Sunday
> draft.

I won that one too, but that's another story.

My decklist will be in Adam's report. Thanks for a great weekend, Adam!

Matt Morgan

Peter D Bakija

May 29, 2008, 7:20:13 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 5:35 pm, "Matthew T. Morgan" <farq...@io.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I was top seed and having trouble chosing my seat.  Cory actually
> suggested I pick that one and man was he ever right.  Jesse has no bounce
> and builds up slow.  I was most afraid of Peter's deck because I don't
> have a lot of vote defense and I knew he ran a lot of Earth Melds.  I
> could've chosen to sit on the other side of Jesse, but I think that
> would've been a big mistake.

Yeah, I had second seat (2GW/6VP) and totally choked on the seat
choice--I completely forgot that Cory was a total bleedzooka (even
though he was my prey in the first round, and I saw everything his
deck did. But by the time it was the finals, I totally spaced and was
thinking he was some sort of political deck or something), and
cleverly sat in front of him. Going into seat choice, my initial
thought was "sit as Dave's grand prey, as then my predator will have
to deal with a lot of aggressive bleeding, and usually that works out
ok for me, as a lot of attention goes upstream", but then, between
spacing out on what Cory did and then just ignoring my own good
advice, I sat in a bad spot.

> Yeah, that's about right.  I think that if you'd had that Archon
> Investigation a turn earlier, you might've won because Cory wouldn't have
> been able to inflict enough pool damage to oust you before your deck
> stabilized.  I don't like my deck's chances against yours in a duel.

If I had the Archon Investigation in my hand when I was bled for the
6, I was totally gold. But really, I only have 1 in the deck, so that
I drew it at all was lucky. I played it 3 times in the 4 rounds of the
tournament. And every single time was on Dave. And he only started out
as my predator once :-)

My deck also kind of crapped out something fierce--I think I drew a
total of 2x KRC and 1x Parity Shift out of all my good votes (10x KRC,
4x Parity Shift, 6x ConBoon) before I got ousted, and heck, didn't
even draw a title (of which I have 12) till, like, turn 4 or 5 or
something. I spent most of the game with a handful of stealth, combat
defense, and no votes, when I had total vote lock, and no one was
either trying to block me or get in fights with me. Sometimes, your
deck mocks you :-)

> Lucky for me irresponsible bleeding (and heck bouncing, I was pretty sure
> Dave's bleeds would end up in your lap) saves the day again!

Indeed--I wasn't at all surprised to get to be Mr. Bleed Sink, but
seeing you and Cory both bounce 2 bleeds in a row into me was
certainly unexpected.

-Peter

SPORE

May 31, 2008, 6:31:09 PM5/31/08
On May 29, 5:35 pm, "Matthew T. Morgan" <farq...@io.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008, Peter D Bakija wrote:
> > On May 23, 3:46 am, "adam.hu...@gmail.com" <adam.hu...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Okay guys, this is it! I hope to see you all there. :)
>
> >> NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
> >> Date: Saturday May 24th
> >> Start Time: 12:30
> >> 3 Rounds + Final

thank you, adam, neutral ground, and anyone else who helped out, all
players, and especially kurt, who gave me a ride up from our philly
festivities.

> > Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
> > showed up.
>
> We had 17 players, so most of the tables were of 4.

/snip/

> Game 1:
>
>/snip matt's game 1/
ben peal as my first prey, 2 stealth bleeders as my pred and
grandpred, and a grandprey whose votes were mostly parity shifts from
his prey to his predator and votes to remove my ARs. this was good
play, i had ben down early, then he transferred himself down to 1
pool. when i delayed the next parity shift, the pressure was on my
original grandpred to burn a minion to remove the voter's cam
segregation, which he did, although ben had been crosstable rushing
him w/ his war ghoul. again, good play, and i failed to draw stealth
or another AR, so ben survived me, my new pred moved through me, and
then the vote deck swept up the last 3vp.

> Game 2:

/snip matt's game 2/
this might've been the fastest i've ever been ousted in tournament
play. this is how i reccall it, but there might've been another turn
in there somewhere. i went first, put 1 onto felicia mostrom. pred
(dave from ithaca?) brings up roland bishop. i put 4 onto anson,
because i'm holding minion tap/giant's blood. pred hits me for 5,
brings up laurent. i pull up anson. don't have any of my 2nd trads
or deflections. pred bleeds me for 5+3 at stealth, and brings ormond
with the dreams of the sphinx. i've lost 13 to bleeds before getting
an action, and spent 9 onto vamps. my 8 remaining pool doubles during
my master phases. after buying a gun during combat, i sink peter's
famous minion, but he has about 17 pool left. i have a handful of
combat and rushes, and bring up felicia (pool at 10.) my pred hits me
for 3, 2 and 2. i'm at 3. i buy the heidelberg, choosing the manner
of my own demise (pool at 1.) i go upstream and dunk 2 of his
minions, drawing my first deflection as i tap my final minion. i get
no 2nd trads the whole game. my prey peter calls a con boon for
toreadors, but it's moot because my pred decides to get his 1 vp
rather than rescuing. i go out after 23 minutes. my pred is ruined
and goes out shortly thereafter. and good for him;) adam comes over
and tells me i should really carry more flick. i go downstairs and
buy stuff to console myself.

> Game 3:
>
> Me->John Whelan (Anarch Revolt POT rush)->Ben Peal (obf/War
> Ghouls/Underbridge Strays/Nocturns)->John Mickle (Anarch Revolt CEL rush)
>
> Oof, tough spot for me. This ended up being a very interesting game, but
> not for me. John Mickle basically squished me fast with a Fame
> multi-dunk. What really nailed me was I bought expensive allies in hopes
> of blocking/slowing him down for a while and he sailed right past them
> with Resist Earth's Grasp. Oh well, 3 GW is unlucky.

congrats to matt, your resounding victories in your other rounds made
my day less deplorable. it was funny, because as the first round
started, someone had to sit next to matt, and i said, it's ok, we all
get to sit next to him eventually... i feel good, b/c with my 1 vp on
the day, i did what no one else was able to do...

> After I was ousted the game ground to a halt for a while with nobody doing
> very much. Ben managed to end the standoff by blocking John Whelan a lot
> with War Ghouls and beating his guys down while there were 8 Anarch
> Revolts in play. John Mickle saw the opening and lunged, but couldn't
> quite oust. That left him vulnerable to War Ghoul rushes. Ben beat down
> both of John Mickle's Anarchs and the latter died to the Anarch Revolts.
> Ben then gave John Whelan more of the same.
>
> 0 VPs

also, nice coincidence-factor to john whelan, for having an anarch-
revolt combat deck, which i went with because i was sure no one else
would be playing one.

> > The final round and 5 qualifiers were:
> > -Matt Morgan (wins final): Spell of Life Mummy deck.
> > -Cory Seigel (? I think that's his last name): Giovanni bleedzooka
> > deck.
> > -Peter Bakija: Gangrel weenie vote deck.
> > -Dave Conroy: Weenie dom/obf S+B deck.
> > -Jesse Cross Nickerson: Assamite/Obf BH deck.

/snip finals description/

again, congratulations to matt, and all the finalists/qualifiers.
-john

Peter D Bakija

Jun 1, 2008, 12:14:44 PM6/1/08
In article
<7cd4ff17-e882-4b1e...@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
SPORE <spore...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> /snip matt's game 2/
> this might've been the fastest i've ever been ousted in tournament
> play.

Heh. Yeesh, yeah, Dave's deck is super aggressive, but much like most
super aggressive decks, it flames out as often as not, and the most
likely result is that he ousts his first prey and then gets killed.
Sadly, you were his first prey in that game :-)

> after buying a gun during combat, i sink peter's
> famous minion, but he has about 17 pool left.

Did you dunk my dude? I don't remember that. Maybe it was a spite Fame
dunk on Dave? Not that it didn't happen, but you might be mixing it up
with another game--I would have been much less likely to ConBoon you had
you Fame whacked me :-)

Peter D Bakija
pd...@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"
-Gaff

SPORE

Jun 1, 2008, 5:58:49 PM6/1/08
On Jun 1, 12:14 pm, Peter D Bakija <p...@lightlink.com> wrote:
> In article
> <7cd4ff17-e882-4b1e-a4a3-997cc9518...@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> SPORE <sporemag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > /snip matt's game 2/
> > this might've been the fastest i've ever been ousted in tournament
> > play.
>
> Heh. Yeesh, yeah, Dave's deck is super aggressive, but much like most
> super aggressive decks, it flames out as often as not, and the most
> likely result is that he ousts his first prey and then gets killed.
> Sadly, you were his first prey in that game :-)
>
> > after buying a gun during combat, i sink peter's
> > famous minion, but he has about 17 pool left.
>
> Did you dunk my dude? I don't remember that. Maybe it was a spite Fame
> dunk on Dave? Not that it didn't happen, but you might be mixing it up

i believe i did, but by the time it went around the table 1 more time,
folks were hoping to save me 1 more time. it might've been your prey
that actually called the con-boon but i don't think you voted against
it.
i might have only dunked you/but i'm sure i did that much with a
haven. maybe not fame, but i was pretty sure it was with it. as i
said, it didn't even hurt you, b/c you had weens and pool-gain votes
and about 15-20 pool sitting there that i wasn't gonna be around
for. dave got double-dunked at the end, but i didn't throw an
upstream fame. anyway, 23 minutes, and my head was certainly spinning
with the speed of it... not 100% sure of my own name at that point :)
good seeing you there, anyway, peter, and congrats on getting into
finals.
-john, spore, mage

> with another game--I would have been much less likely to ConBoon you had
> you Fame whacked me :-)
>
> Peter D Bakija

> p...@lightlink.comhttp://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

The Lasombra

Jun 1, 2008, 7:06:04 PM6/1/08

NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
Date: Saturday May 24th
Start Time: 12:30
3 Rounds + Final

>> Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
>> showed up.

>We had 17 players, so most of the tables were of 4. The only 5 player
>table I sat at was the final.

Ok, it seems that Adam has fallen behind.
Any chance of seeing that TWD anyway?

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra
Archivist to great deck builders.

http://ArchonOfTheSwamp.tripod.com
http://BlueDevilVTES.tripod.com
http://ColumbusVTES.tripod.com
http://Legbiter.tripod.com
http://UniqueMasterOfVTES.tripod.com
http://vtes-Hunter-Net.tripod.com
http://VTESOrgPlay.tripod.com
http://wanderers-counsel.tripod.com

http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks.htm

Matthew T. Morgan

Jun 1, 2008, 9:38:22 PM6/1/08
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, The Lasombra wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:35:45 -0500, "Matthew T. Morgan" wrote:
>
> NEW YORK CITY QUALIFIER
> Date: Saturday May 24th
> Start Time: 12:30
> 3 Rounds + Final
>
>>> Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
>>> showed up.
>
>> We had 17 players, so most of the tables were of 4. The only 5 player
>> table I sat at was the final.
>
> Ok, it seems that Adam has fallen behind.
> Any chance of seeing that TWD anyway?

Sure, here you go.

Deck Name: Mummy Strength!
Created by: Matt Morgan

Crypt [13 vampires, average capacity: 7]
1x Nakhthorheb OBF PRE SER 10 Follower of Set:4
1x Seterpenre AUS NEC OBF PRE SER 10 Follower of Set:5
1x Neferu OBF PRE SER THA dom nec 9 Follower of Set:4 2 votes
1x Pentweret OBF PRE SER aus for obe 9 Follower of Set:5
1x Porphyrion CHI OBF PRE SER for 9 Follower of Set:5
1x Shemti OBF POT PRE SER vic 9 Follower of Set:5 1 vote
1x Amenophobis OBF SER dom pre 7 Follower of Set:4 primogen
2x Halim Bey DOM SER obf tha 6 Follower of Set:4
1x Black Lotus DOM aus obf ser 5 Follower of Set:4
1x Sahira Siraj obf ser tha 4 Follower of Set:4
1x Sisocharis cel obf pre 4 Follower of Set:5
1x Ahmose Chambers obf ser 3 Follower of Set:5

/* The larger vampires are obviously not meant to be influenced out and
never were. They might as well have been Enkidu, Hazimel, Sha-Ennu,
Saulot, etc., but it never really mattered as I rarely had a mummy
burned by losing all its life. Two copies of Halim and 3x Effective
Management meant I got him out in every preliminary round. In the
final he showed up late and ended up having to join the ranks of the
mummies. */

Library [61 cards]
Master [14]
2x Blood Doll
1x Centralized Background Check
1x Channel 10
1x Charisma
3x Effective Management
1x Fame
1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
1x KRCG News Radio
1x Mob Connections
1x Opium Den
1x WMRH Talk Radio

/* The media outlets helped a lot. I'm a firm believer in Unmasking +
media locations in an ally deck. It really gets the job done.
Centralized Background Check was in my starting hand in the first two
games, but I didn't see it in round 3 when I was killed by .44s. Ah
well. It's good in theory. */

Action [11]
1x Set's Curse
10x Spell of Life

/* Set's Curse was originally Far Mastery, but more of my crypt can play
Set's Curse and there are more available targets. In round 1, I was a
little slow with it and Meno Ngari got a skill card before I could hit
him with it. In round 2, I turned Lupo into a snake, which was really
cool, even if it probably didn't cause me to win any more than I was
already winning. I died too quickly to make use of it in round 3, but
turning one of Ben Peal's War Ghouls into a snake would've been pretty
great. There were small vampires that would've made good targets for
this in the final, but sadly I had nobody with SER to play it, so it
had to be discarded.

10x Spell of Life was pretty good in a 61 card deck. I normally got
the Spell off around turn 7 or so, I think. I never tried to get it to
happen again and never needed it. Each game concluded a turn or two
after I completed the Spell (or in the case of round 3, the game
concluded for me the turn before I would've completed it). */

Action Modifier [13]
2x Cloak the Gathering
2x Conditioning
1x Domain of Evernight
2x Faceless Night
2x Lost in Crowds
2x Spying Mission
2x Veil the Legions

Action Modifier/Combat [2]
2x Swallowed by the Night

/* Heavy intercept would've probably been a problem for me, but luckily
there was none. My first prey of the day was an Akunanse deck, but I
managed to block it tooling up with intercept permanents. Veils were
good to add stealth to mummies (since I never had anyone with OBF for
cloak). Conditioning, just because I'd be crazy not to. */

Ally [8]
1x Amam the Devourer (Bane Mummy)
1x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
1x Kherebutu (Bane Mummy)
1x Nephren-Ka
1x Ossian
1x Qetu the Evil Doer (Bane Mummy)
1x Tutu the Doubly Evil One (Bane Mummy)
1x Vagabond Mystic

/* Carlton made frequent appearances. I had Ossian in round 2, but he
really only served to cycle my prey's Swallowed by the Night maneuvers.
I got Qetu out in the first round and actually successfully bled my
prey twice, which I think is pretty good (she bleeds for 2). An early
Nephren-Ka probably gave me the final, because I rushed the dom/obf
deck a lot to keep it from having the steam to oust me. I sadly never
had the pool to get Kherebutu or Tutu. I'll have to keep playing the
deck until I make good use of them. Vagabond Mystic was the 61st card
in this deck (originally designed at 60), but I never drew him. */

Event [3]
1x Dragonbound
1x FBI Special Affairs Division
1x Unmasking, The

/* I believe the only one of these I ever played was FBI Special Affairs
Division, which was really useful when Carlton was blocking Matata at 1
blood. Matata couldn't take the risk of going to torpor and never
coming back, so Carlton got away with dodging three or four times. */

Reaction [10]
5x Deflection
2x Delaying Tactics
3x On the Qui Vive

Crafted with: Anarch Revolt Deck Builder [Tue Apr 22 13:37:36 2008]

jcrossn...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2008, 11:07:05 AM6/2/08
Peter Bakija wrote:
> Quicky report--I'm sure Adam will post more later on. About 20 people
> showed up. The final round and 5 qualifiers were:
>
> -Matt Morgan (wins final): Spell of Life Mummy deck.
> -Cory Seigel (? I think that's his last name): Giovanni bleedzooka
> deck.
> -Peter Bakija: Gangrel weenie vote deck.
> -Dave Conroy: Weenie dom/obf S+B deck.
> -Jesse Cross Nickerson: Assamite/Obf BH deck.

Peter's description of my deck is rather vague because he didn't
really get to see me play. As the report indicates, I was ousted very
quickly in the final game, and never got to do much of anything. The
deck is built around cheap Sabbat and Black Hand vampires with
obfuscate, with Djuhah the Bronze Bow playing the central role. It
uses Heidelberg Castle and the Black Hand untap effects to Darby Dance
with the Guarded Rubrics and other permanent bleed modifiers. I did
fairly well in the preliminary rounds, getting at least 1vp in every
single game and ending up with 1 GW 6 VP. My hand locked up in the
first round and a critical Veil the Legions was DI'ed, leaving me 1
point of stealth from ousting my 3rd prey (Ben Peal) and securing an
all but guaranteed table sweep. It also didn't help that I had to play
2 games against Ben, who caused huge damage to my squishy obf dudes
with his War Ghouls.

> The final round was something like Dave starts bleeding Jesse really
> quickly. Jesse tries to stay alive.

That's a pretty good description of my game. I was seeded 3rd for the
finals, and I had no idea what Dave's deck did. I had seen Cory's deck
already, and knew that it was bazooka bleed, so I chose not to be his
prey. Given that both of my decisions in the seating involved getting
bled by stealth dominate, I don't know as I had a good choice to
make.

Matt Morgan wrote:
>Yeah, I was top seed and having trouble chosing my seat. Cory actually
>suggested I pick that one and man was he ever right. Jesse has no bounce
>and builds up slow. I was most afraid of Peter's deck because I don't
>have a lot of vote defense and I knew he ran a lot of Earth Melds. I
>could've chosen to sit on the other side of Jesse, but I think that
>would've been a big mistake.

It's not totally true that I build up slow, though the deck has the
option of doing that if it seems appropriate. In that final game, I
played my Heidelberg Castle and had Guarded Rubrics in hand. If I'd
wanted to, I could have started bleeding for 6 or more a turn fairly
early. However, Dave was plowing into me extremely quickly and I can
hardly see why I should have rewarded that by softening up Matt. My
best plan was to try to hang in there with Truth in Ink and block the
obf-lacking dominate nerds. I was hoping that Dave might stall out, or
that Peter might oust him and then turn his attention to defense. If
that had happened, I would have thrown down the Rubrics and started
bleeding. Matt spent quite a lot of pool while I wasn't bleeding him,
so it's possible that it would've worked. However, it seemed that Dave
had just enough steam to run me over and then accidentally oust his
predator before getting killed. Sad for me and Peter.

Jesse, who is now qualified and excited to head for Montreal

adam....@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2008, 2:28:28 PM6/2/08

Sorry guys that I have not responded yet. Was away for the weekend and
work is butting in on my vtes time. Will post official stuff soon.