Freak Drive question

Jozxyqk

Jun 5, 2003, 10:01:18 AM6/5/03
Can I play a Freak Drive if it is the card I draw to replace a
"Do not replace until end of action" action card (i.e. Arson or
Bum's Rush)?

Peter Christensen

Jun 5, 2003, 12:37:31 PM6/5/03
I would say so yes, as the cardtext says 'after resolving the action'.
Peter.

"Jozxyqk" <jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> skrev i en meddelelse

LSJ

Jun 5, 2003, 12:39:29 PM6/5/03

No. Action Modifiers cannot be played after the action ends.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Colin Goodman

Jun 5, 2003, 4:23:33 PM6/5/03
Another Freak Drive question:

What does the card represent?

Just curious.

-------------------------
Cambridge by Night.
http://www.geocities.com/eryx_uk/Cambridge_by_night.html

John P

Jun 5, 2003, 5:28:22 PM6/5/03

"Colin Goodman" <colind...@aol.com> wrote in message news:20030605162333...@mb-m20.aol.com...

> Another Freak Drive question:
>
> What does the card represent?
>
> Just curious.

You mean what is the card? (cause thats about all I'm
qualified to answer, not that its stopped me before)

Freak Drive [Jyhad:R2, VTES:R, CE:U/PV2, Anarchs:PG]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Fortitude
[for] Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the action). Untap this vampire. [FOR] As above, but usable
even if the action is blocked (play after combat, if any).

-JTP

Colin Goodman

Jun 5, 2003, 6:10:33 PM6/5/03
No, what I meant is: What is a Freak Drive?

I don't mean card text or VTES related, what is a Freak Drive?

Curevei

Jun 5, 2003, 6:25:38 PM6/5/03
>No, what I meant is: What is a Freak Drive?

One assumes going beyond one's endurance in a freakish way or having a drive
that is freakishly strong.

Raille

Jun 7, 2003, 9:10:55 AM6/7/03
LSJ wrote:
> Jozxyqk wrote:
>
>> Can I play a Freak Drive if it is the card I draw to replace a
>> "Do not replace until end of action" action card (i.e. Arson or Bum's
>> Rush)?
>

> No. Action Modifiers cannot be played after the action ends.

Ya know I already bitch about this text before. The Freak Drive
specifically states after the action. SO I guess 1.4 does not apply to
freak drives then.

Raille

James Coupe

Jun 7, 2003, 10:21:35 AM6/7/03
In message <3EE1E45F...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
>Ya know I already bitch about this text before.

Have you read it recently?

>The Freak Drive specifically states after the action.

"Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the
action)"

At end. After resolving action. Not after end. Not after action.

You play it after the action resolves, and *at* the end of the action,
not *after* the end of the action.

At end and at beginning are not *before* or *after* the phases.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D

Raille

Jun 8, 2003, 1:25:09 PM6/8/03
Raille wrote:
> In message <3EE1E45F...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
> >Ya know I already bitch about this text before.
>
> Have you read it recently?
>
> >The Freak Drive specifically states after the action.
>
> "Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the
> action)"
>
> At end. After resolving action. Not after end. Not after action.
>
> You play it after the action resolves, and *at* the end of the action,
> not *after* the end of the action.
>
> At end and at beginning are not *before* or *after* the phases.
>
> -

So you saying that Freak drive gets played in sectio 6.2.31?

Notice that the rules make no mention of ending the action. There is
only the official section 6.2.3 that specifically states Resolve. At
what point comes after resolve, where Freak drive becomes a playable
card by its card text.

"Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the
action)"

Remember we want this to be a rule book that is easy to assimilate for
the new players.

Raille

James Coupe

Jun 8, 2003, 2:13:10 PM6/8/03
In message <3EE37175...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
> So you saying that Freak drive gets played in sectio 6.2.31?
>
> Notice that the rules make no mention of ending the action.

The rules make no mention of there being a "Before range" phase of
combat, either. This is determined by card text, in conjunction with
the Golden Rule of Cards.

Just as Carrion Crows is played before range, Freak Drive is played
after resolution, before ending the action.

No-one has any problems with working out when to play Carrion Crows,
even though it is before the first outlined step of combat. Why should
anyone have problems playing one in a card-defined gap at the end? They
are two cards defining phases for themselves in exactly the same way.

On a side note, you may also want to fix your news-reader. You claimed
you wrote my words.

Raille

Jun 8, 2003, 6:53:25 PM6/8/03
James Coupe wrote:
> In message <3EE37175...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
>
>>So you saying that Freak drive gets played in sectio 6.2.31?
>>
>>Notice that the rules make no mention of ending the action.
>

> The rules make no mention of there being a "Before range" phase of
> combat, either. This is determined by card text, in conjunction with
> the Golden Rule of Cards.

But there is a point to do pre range. Step 1 is to determine range, the
default is close, prior to making any claims of manuevers ect, you can
play pre range cards.

Although a seperate refernce might be nice.

> Just as Carrion Crows is played before range, Freak Drive is played
> after resolution, before ending the action.
>
> No-one has any problems with working out when to play Carrion Crows,
> even though it is before the first outlined step of combat. Why should
> anyone have problems playing one in a card-defined gap at the end? They
> are two cards defining phases for themselves in exactly the same way.
>
> On a side note, you may also want to fix your news-reader. You claimed
> you wrote my words.

I've got some issues with my reader. :(

Raille

James Coupe

Jun 8, 2003, 8:47:59 PM6/8/03
In message <3EE3BE6...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
>James Coupe wrote:
>> In message <3EE37175...@mich.com>, Raille <rai...@mich.com> writes:
>>
>>>So you saying that Freak drive gets played in sectio 6.2.31?
>>>
>>>Notice that the rules make no mention of ending the action.
>> The rules make no mention of there being a "Before range" phase of
>> combat, either. This is determined by card text, in conjunction with
>> the Golden Rule of Cards.
>
>But there is a point to do pre range.

There's one to do Freak Drive too! It gives you it on the card.

Combat starts, you go into Choose Range.

No wait, Carrion Crows slips in just between combat starting and Choose
Range.

The action resolves and ends.

No wait, Freak Drive slips in between the acting resolving and the end.

That's what card text *does*. Jyhad has lots of card text which defines
phases when things can and can't be played, extra to the 'normal' flow
of things. It can slip in between the phases easily.

Analogously, the rules don't mention that after a bleed is successful,
there is a gap before burning pool for it. But Spying Mission
*provides* that.

There is no rule-book defined "between turns" phase. But Masika gives
you one.

Similarly Freak Drive.

You might find:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=356ADDC5.2781%40wizards.com

helpful, if out of date/anachronistic these days. It's also a good
example of why letting cards define their own steps in simple terms is
helpful - you get unwieldy documents for every single step, otherwise.

(There were several versions of it. That's possibly not the most up to
date, but it's a good example.)

>I've got some issues with my reader. :(

As elsewhere, I'd recommend Gravity or Free/Forte Agent under Windows.
Gravity is very configurable interface wise - almost everyone can find a
setting that suits them. I find Free/Forte Agent a bit... clunky. (I'm
not a fan of the three pane system of reading articles, with previews
and smaller read windows - but Outlook Express seems to be quite popular
doing something similar interface wise.)

Mozilla's reader - which you appear to be using - is competent, without
being note-worthy.

Raille

Jun 9, 2003, 9:33:00 PM6/9/03

Its partically the news group server causing dropout.

But I'll give Forte a try.

Raille

rai...@mich.com

Jun 9, 2003, 10:34:29 PM6/9/03

>>I've got some issues with my reader. :(
>
>As elsewhere, I'd recommend Gravity or Free/Forte Agent under Windows.
>Gravity is very configurable interface wise - almost everyone can find a
>setting that suits them. I find Free/Forte Agent a bit... clunky. (I'm
>not a fan of the three pane system of reading articles, with previews
>and smaller read windows - but Outlook Express seems to be quite popular
>doing something similar interface wise.)
>
>Mozilla's reader - which you appear to be using - is competent, without
>being note-worthy.

This is a test of my handy dandy Forte Newsgroup reader and a new
newsgroup access.

Hope this works!

Raille

salem

Jun 10, 2003, 12:07:58 PM6/10/03
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:34:29 GMT, rai...@mich.com scrawled:

[snip]

>This is a test of my handy dandy Forte Newsgroup reader and a new
>newsgroup access.
>
>Hope this works!

I see you!

welcome to the land of Forte....i live here too.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm