Tournament Report w/TWD: TempleConflagration (NERQ), Providence, RI

Mongrel (MDH)

Feb 5, 2008, 9:54:53 PM2/5/08
Hi again,

We had 27 players for the Northeast Regional Qualifier event on
February 2nd at TempleCon in Providence, RI.

We have photos!:
http://www.darkwindrising.com/vampire/photos/gall_tc2008

The most common deck archetypes were stealth/bleed and animalism
intercept/combat. Ben Swainbank's Khazar's deck came in strong with 2
game wins in the prelims and the win in the finals. He was only
ousted in round 1 at a four player table where the other three players
were working together to beat him. Also notable was John Eno's top
seeded Assamite deck which scored 2 game wins, 6vp in the prelims and
1 vp in the finals.

With 27 players, the top 7 qualify. So all finalists are qualified.
1. Ben Swainbank, 2gw, 5vp, 4vp final
2. John Eno 2gw, 6vp, 1vp final
2. Jen Goldberg 1gw, 7vp, 0vp final
2. Dave Clooney 1gw, 5vp (138tp), 0vp final
2. Jason Wolfson, 1gw, 5vp (126tp), 0vp final

6. Matt Morgan 1gw, 5vp (106tp) *qualified*
7. Ethan Levi 1gw, 4.5vp (144tp) *qualified*

Scott Gomes 1gw, 4.5vp (138tp) *missed it by 6 tp* (ouch)
Adam Hulse 1gw, 4.5vp (126tp) *also missed it by tp*
Sonam Adinolf
Jesse Cross-Nickerson
Selen Turkay
Ben Peal
Oscar Garza
Peter Jehlen
Joshua Feuerstein
Greg Williams
Peter Kapsalis
Amber Kanner
James Aloia
Marc Lussier
Ray Ramos
John Whelan
David Degarmo
Tony Marcello
Nik Lima
Mark Danko

Finals seating was:
Dave Clooney(Xaviar rush) ->
Ben Swainbank(Khazar's Diary) ->
Jen Goldberg(g2/3 !Malk obf/dem s/b) ->
Jason Wolfson(g2/3 !Malk/Malk obf/dem s/b) ->
John Eno(Assamite g3/4 breed/boon s/b)

The finals boiled down to a stealth/bleed battle amongst Jen, Jason,
and John while Ben was quietly building his Khazar setup. Dave and
Jen were trying to warn the table about the oncoming doom of the
Khazar wraiths (they had played in the round 1 game), but Jason and
John were more focused on leaning left and not the cross-table action.
John did manage to oust Dave, but that had given Ben time to build
Khazar and he swept the table with wraiths.

Once the finals wrapped up, we resorted to drinking and drafting for
the rest of the night. I actually discovered a new format, "Draft
Pee." Get 4 or 5 players together and show up late to a draft game.
Borrow the draft leftovers (the "pee") from a few selected drafters,
only remove banned cards, and play vtes with what you have left. As
you only get one person's pee, you have to try and figure out which
drafter would have the best cards to borrow. Highly entertaining. :)

Overall, I think everyone had a great time. Thanks to everyone who
came and played! Thanks to Grant, Ximon and the rest of the TempleCon
staff for their help and support! Thanks to Jesse Cross-Nickerson for
running the Sunday draft game!

See you at TempleCon next year,

Matt H.

Ben Swainbank's Deck:
Deck Name : Dear Diary
Author : Ben Swainbank

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 2 max: 5 average: 3.34
2x Isabel Giovanni 5 DOM NEC pot Giovanni:2
2x Lia Milliner 3 dom nec Giovanni:3
2x Rudolfo Giovanni 3 NEC Giovanni:2
1x Francesca Giovanni 4 dom nec pot Giovanni:2
1x Gloria Giovanni 4 DOM nec Giovanni:2
1x Cristofero Giovann 3 nec pot Giovanni:2
1x Mario Giovanni 3 nec pot Giovanni:2
1x Marciana Giovanni, 2 dom Giovanni:2
1x Paul DiCarlo, The 2 pot Giovanni:2

Library [70 cards]
Master [14]
2x Charisma
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
4x Jake Washington (Hunter)
3x Liquidation
1x Powerbase: Cape Verde
1x Society of Leopold
1x WMRH Talk Radio

Action [13]
9x Khazar's Diary (Endless Night)
4x Sudario Refraction

Action Modifier [7]
7x Call of the Hungry Dead

Action Modifier/Reaction [5]
5x Spectral Divination

Ally [13]
1x Ambrosius, The Ferryman (Wraith)
2x Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
2x Gregory Winter
2x Mylan Horseed (Goblin)
2x Repo Man
2x Tye Cooper
1x Vagabond Mystic
1x Young Bloods

Equipment [2]
1x Sport Bike
1x Unlicensed Taxicab

Reaction [14]
6x Deflection
1x Delaying Tactics
6x On the Qui Vive
1x Poison Pill

Event [2]
2x Unmasking, The

Crafted with : Anarch Revolt Deck Builder. [Mon Feb 04 21:07:08 2008]

This is a better tuned version of the deck I played a few weeks ago at
a Boston tournament. It is completely
focused on getting off Khazar's Diary. The Giovanni should always be
trying to add counters by playing Khazar's or
bring out a unique ally -- which I use to recruit more unique allies.
The allies perform their tricks and get
themselves burned. In revising the deck I focused on allies with
built-in self destruct mechanisms (Jake, Mylan,
Gregory Winter...).

Once Khazar's "goes off" the Giovanni bring out swarms of wraiths to
dump on my prey and chump-block as needed.
Sudario was huge a few weeks ago, but the deck ran pretty smoothly at
the NEQ, and I didn't end up using them much.

Static intercept, like Kite and Rave Spy, is a big pain. Vote defense
is light. In theory I can recycle with
Sudario as needed, but I was pretty happy I didn't run into any
stealth-vote.

Kushiel

Feb 6, 2008, 12:51:32 AM2/6/08
On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, "Mongrel (MDH)" <mong...@hotpop.com> wrote:
> John Eno(Assamite g3/4 breed/boon s/b)

Man. Three Embraces and four Con Boons in a ~90 card deck, and you get
branded with the "breed/boon" iron. Harsh.

I like the KoL reference in the photos... ;)

Thanks to everyone who ran this! I had a great time.

John Eno

Salem

Feb 6, 2008, 2:51:34 AM2/6/08
Kushiel wrote:
> On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, "Mongrel (MDH)" <mong...@hotpop.com> wrote:
>> John Eno(Assamite g3/4 breed/boon s/b)
>
> Man. Three Embraces and four Con Boons in a ~90 card deck, and you get
> branded with the "breed/boon" iron. Harsh.

show us yer deck!

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'yahoo' to email)

Kushiel

Feb 6, 2008, 1:50:17 PM2/6/08
On Feb 6, 2:51 am, Salem <salem_christ....@hotmail.com> wrote:
> show us yer deck!

That's not the kind of thing I do until the evening. (Because I don't
have it here at work.)

John Eno

adam....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 10:31:57 PM2/6/08
On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, "Mongrel (MDH)" <mong...@hotpop.com> wrote:

Thanks for a great time. Us New Yorkers had a lot of fun. My Cailean
deck did okay, except I had some pretty bad draws in the 2nd and 3rd
games.

Shameless plug!!! Everyone look for the New York City qualifier coming
up in late april or may! More details soon! Hope you can all make it!

Kushiel

Feb 6, 2008, 11:24:32 PM2/6/08
On Feb 6, 2:51 am, Salem <salem_christ....@hotmail.com> wrote:
> show us yer deck!

I came in second at the qualifier with this last weekend. (Well,
everyone in the finals except the winner came in second, but this
would have come in second under the old system...) This it the most
recent version of the deck I made out of the new LotN toys.

Deck Name : Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted
Author : John Eno
Description :

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 1 max: 7 average: 5

1x Djuhah, The Bronze 7 OBF QUI aus cel pre Assamite:5
1x Olugbenga 7 OBF QUI ani cel magaji Assamite:4
2x Hafsa, The Watcher 6 OBF QUI aus cel Assamite:5
1x Reza Fatir, The Da 6 CEL QUI obf pro Assamite:4
2x Vardar Vardarian 6 OBF QUI cel pre Assamite:4
1x Layla bint-Nadr 5 CEL OBF qui Assamite:4
2x Kamau Jafari 4 QUI obf Assamite:4
1x Alu 2 obf Assamite:5
1x Basir 1 qui Assamite:4

--Right before the tournament, I switched out a second copy of
Olugbenga for Djujah, which I shouldn't have done.

Library [86 cards]

Master [15]
4x Alamut
1x Barrens, The
1x Black Throne, The
3x Blood Doll

2x Dreams of the Sphinx

1x Giant's Blood
1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
1x Underworld Hunting Ground
1x Yoruba Shrine

--Jake wasn't all that great. If playing this without the reactions,
I'd drop him for a copy of Powerbase: Zurich.

Action [21]
3x Embrace, The
8x Haqim's Law: Leadership
10x Loss

Action Modifier [24]
4x Cloak the Gathering
4x Elder Impersonation
4x Faceless Night
4x Lost in Crowds
4x Spying Mission
4x Veil the Legions

Action Modifier/Combat [4]
4x Swallowed by the Night

--Frequently not enough stealth. This problem might be alleviated by
removing the reaction cards.

Event [2]
1x Break the Code
1x Narrow Minds

--Neither of these has ever really done anything for me, but they're
good in theory and easy to dump.

Political Action [8]
4x Consanguineous Boon
4x Kine Resources Contested

Reaction [12]
3x Fillip
6x Nest of Eagles
3x On the Qui Vive

--If I play this deck again, I'll go Swiss and get rid of all the
reactions. While playing this deck, there have been enough instances
of staring at reaction cards when I wanted to act (and there's enough
proactive bloat) that I think I can get away with that.

John Eno

Meej

Feb 7, 2008, 10:39:15 AM2/7/08
On Feb 6, 11:24 pm, Kushiel <invisibleking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deck Name : Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

Heh. :-)

> --Right before the tournament, I switched out a second copy of
> Olugbenga for Djujah, which I shouldn't have done.

Why so? I mean, I suppose 2 votes is better than Seraph you're not
using, and +1 intercept vs bleeds is good, but if you're not being
blocky anyway that second part won't matter, so OK. I'd be inclined
to keep the Djuhah and swap out Reza for the second Olug, but maybe
OBF isn't that critical?

> Master [15]
> 4x Alamut
> 1x Barrens, The
> 1x Black Throne, The
> 3x Blood Doll
> 2x Dreams of the Sphinx
> 1x Giant's Blood
> 1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
> 1x Underworld Hunting Ground
> 1x Yoruba Shrine
> --Jake wasn't all that great. If playing this without the reactions,
> I'd drop him for a copy of Powerbase: Zurich.

Nice call.

> Action [21]
> 3x Embrace, The
> 8x Haqim's Law: Leadership
> 10x Loss

I'm mildly surprised not to see any WoKR's in here, and VERY surprised
at no Khabar: Glory's. That card is great on a lunge turn.

> Action Modifier [24]
> 4x Cloak the Gathering
> 4x Elder Impersonation
> 4x Faceless Night
> 4x Lost in Crowds
> 4x Spying Mission
> 4x Veil the Legions
> Action Modifier/Combat [4]
> 4x Swallowed by the Night
> --Frequently not enough stealth. This problem might be alleviated by
> removing the reaction cards.

Gotta love Greater Boston, eh?

> Event [2]
> 1x Break the Code
> 1x Narrow Minds
> --Neither of these has ever really done anything for me, but they're
> good in theory and easy to dump.

I'm unsure about Break the Code - you've got enough stealth to get by,
especially if you up it a little, and your combat's, um, not there -
but I can see Narrow Minds being solid.

> Political Action [8]
> 4x Consanguineous Boon
> 4x Kine Resources Contested

Nice splash.

> Reaction [12]
> 3x Fillip
> 6x Nest of Eagles
> 3x On the Qui Vive
>
> --If I play this deck again, I'll go Swiss and get rid of all the
> reactions. While playing this deck, there have been enough instances
> of staring at reaction cards when I wanted to act (and there's enough
> proactive bloat) that I think I can get away with that.

Makes sense.

- D.J.