announce: Finnish ECQ & Ropecon 2009 tournament, July 31st (Espoo, Finland)

Petri Wessman

Jul 15, 2009, 4:25:18 AM7/15/09
In case some brave foreigner feels like venturing into the not-so-much-
frozen North in a few weeks time: the Finnish ECQ will be held on
Friday July 31st in Espoo, Finland, as part of the Ropecon 2009 gaming
convention. No entry fee to tournament itself, but Ropecon entry fee
is required. Going by numbers from previous years, I expect to see
around 80-90 players.

This year's Ropecon is especially interesting to VTES players since
LSJ is one of the Guests of Honor (whee! :). We're giving him a break
from his normal official duties, he's not judging the tournament (but
is more than welcome to join, if he feels like actually, gasp,
playing ;).

As normal for ECQs, the top 25% scorers will receive an EC
qualification and (afaik) a spiffy t-shirt, and there are some small
extra prizes for the top scorers / finalists.

No deck lists required (cheaters will be torn apart by rabid badgers).
Normal VEKN tournament rules, 3 x 2h turns, all that jazz. The
tournament starts at 18:00 (please register by 17:30!), so expect to
play until the early hours. The finals usually start at around 1am or
so... coffee is your friend.

The final round may have a somewhat relaxed time limit (2.5h perhaps).
This will be decided based on the finalists' opinions on the matter,
and by what time it is when we get the finals running.

More info about Ropecon: http://ropecon.fi/index.php/2009/InEnglish

More into about the tournament: http://vtes.orava.org

Welcome. It's usually been a lot of fun, and quite relaxed for such a
big tournament.

//Petri

P.S. Ropecon has nothing (well, officially at least ;) to do with
ropes, bondage, or stuff like that. It's from the Finnish word
"roolipeli" = "rope playing game". :)

agzocgud

Jul 15, 2009, 4:52:49 AM7/15/09
On 15 Juli, 10:25, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote:
>Going by numbers from previous years, I expect to see
> around 80-90 players.

Good luck!

With all this experience from large tournaments, I hope that you will
host the EC in a near future.

Nikolaj "Lord of the Betrayers" Wendt

Jul 15, 2009, 5:17:44 AM7/15/09

Was that a freudian slip and did you mean role playing game? :)
Otherwise I am interested in what kind of non-bondage rope games you
guys play.

Orava

Jul 15, 2009, 5:29:08 AM7/15/09
On Jul 15, 12:17 pm, "Nikolaj \"Lord of the Betrayers\" Wendt"

<nikolajwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "roolipeli" = "rope playing game". :)
>
> Was that a freudian slip and did you mean role playing game? :)
> Otherwise I am interested in what kind of non-bondage rope games you
> guys play.

Argh. :). Yeah, a freudian slut.

Lönkka

Jul 15, 2009, 9:00:42 AM7/15/09
Besides Petri's traditional Friday VTES tournament and the programme
LSJ in going to be in, there's plenty of other VTES activity at
Ropecon:

On Saturday Jussi Hattara will be running a Create a Clan tournament
starting at 2 PM.
More info at http://www.tenerdo.org/cac.html

On Sunday Tuukka Kallas will host his traditional draft tournament
starting at 10 AM.
Three 2 hour rounds plus possible finals.
Limited tournament ruless are in effect (crypt minimum 7, library
minimum of 35). 1 Recursion.
Bring your own 7 Keepers of Tradition boosters with you, although if
you forget Fantasiapelit will be selling these at the convention, but
the sales area also opens at 10 so it IS better to get your own
boosters, OK?
In addition to the boosters you can also dip into the following cards
if you manage to bring them with you: 2 Filip & 1 Blood Doll. These
cards are not counted towards card minimums.

Also, on Thursday just prior to Ropecon in the smack dab middle of
Helsinki there should be the Helsinki area weekly VTES game night at
restaurant Kaisla. The restaurant is located at Vilhonkatu 4 (just on
top of Fantasiapelit store)
More info at http://vtes.orava.org/wiki/weeklygames

In Prague I heard several lovely foreigners (Johannes and Kamel at
least spring to mind) practically promise that they'd be attending
Ropecon this year so I'd be pretty dissapointed if you guys don't come
over...

I'd also like to remind our friends at the Western Land of Wonder that
it is pretty darn easy and pleasant to travel from Stockholm to
Helsinki with the ferry (aka Finlandsbåten as you Swedes like to call
it). Don't forget to shop at the tax free! During summertime flights
for the same route can also be ridiculously cheap.

Regarding an EC in Finland:
During last year's EC in Prague organizing an EC locally in the future
did cross our collective minds and was discussed with Oscar and LSJ.
So far we've done nothing about it besides pondering, but who knows,
it might happen some day in the future. Wouldn't catch my breath
though.

Cheers & welcome,
Janne / Lonkka
NC Finland

Forhead

Jul 16, 2009, 6:25:53 PM7/16/09
There are a few (one car full or so) of us coming from Örebro, Sweden.
We'll probably show up on thursday or friday. It is possible to sleep
at ropecon, right?

Isak Bjärmark Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

atirila

Jul 17, 2009, 3:31:41 AM7/17/09
On Jul 17, 1:25 am, Forhead <isak_esbjorns...@bredband.net> wrote:
> There are a few (one car full or so) of us coming from Örebro, Sweden.
> We'll probably show up on thursday or friday. It is possible to sleep
> at ropecon, right?

Ropecon website confirms this:
"During the event floorspace for sleeping and also washing and eating
facilities are all provided at Dipoli or surrounding areas. Ask more
information at the info desk during the event."

http://www.ropecon.fi/index.php/2009/InEnglish-Practicalities

Naturally this option is available only from Friday to Sunday.

Antti, who will not make to Ropecon this year. Darn.

Orava

Jul 17, 2009, 4:46:18 AM7/17/09
On Jul 17, 1:25 am, Forhead <isak_esbjorns...@bredband.net> wrote:

Cool, welcome :)

And yes, Ropecon has sleeping facilities (well, places where you can
spread out a sleeping mat + sleeping bag anyway), usable Friday and
Saturday nights. The info desk will sort you out there.

JH

Jul 17, 2009, 3:53:15 PM7/17/09
On Jul 17, 1:25 am, Forhead <isak_esbjorns...@bredband.net> wrote:
> There are a few (one car full or so) of us coming from Örebro, Sweden.
> We'll probably show up on thursday or friday. It is possible to sleep
> atropecon, right?

> Isak Bjärmark Esbjörnsson,
> Prince of Örebro

Remember to pack your Create-a-Clan decks with you :) That tournament
is on Saturday at 2pm. See http://www.tenerdo.org/cac.html for rules.