Boston Tournaments: March 15th Multi-deck and April 5th Custom Storyline

1 view

Mongrel (MDH)

Feb 21, 2009, 4:22:54 PM2/21/09
We have a couple of fun non-standard tournaments scheduled for Spring
in Boston.

Irregular Protocol: Boston
Noon, March 15th, 2009
Your Move Games, Somerville, MA
Entry: $5
Format: Multi-deck 3R+F Constructed
Note: The Multi-deck format is only sanctioned for tournaments with
fewer than 12 players. If we get 12 or more, we'll democratically
decide between playing unsanctioned multi-deck or sanctioned standard
constructed.

BYO Storyline: Providence (Whispers in the Darkness)
Written and designed by Greg Williams
Noon, Sunday April 5th, 2009
Your Move Games, Somerville, MA
Entry: $5
Format: Custom Storyline 3R+F Constructed (See rules on website below)
http://www.ashheap.storageannex.com/byosprovidence.htm
http://www.vtesstorylines.com/ (will be up soon)
(Greg has really put a lot of work into the materials for this event.
Even if you aren't planning on attending, I recommend that you check
out the rules and background material he has put up on the site.)

Note from Greg: The storyline was designed to be played at Templecon
(hence the Lovecraftian theme), but scheduling conflicts (both at the
con and in my creative free time) delayed the endeavor. Thus we were
unable to play at the con. But, as not to let it go to waste, we
decided to hold the event in Boston. I hope to see you all there.

-Matt H.

Kevin M.

Feb 21, 2009, 6:11:08 PM2/21/09
Mongrel (MDH) wrote:
> BYO Storyline: Providence (Whispers in the Darkness)
> Written and designed by Greg Williams
> Noon, Sunday April 5th, 2009
> Your Move Games, Somerville, MA
> Entry: $5
> Format: Custom Storyline 3R+F Constructed (See rules on website below)
> http://www.ashheap.storageannex.com/byosprovidence.htm
> http://www.vtesstorylines.com/ (will be up soon)
> (Greg has really put a lot of work into the materials for this event.
> Even if you aren't planning on attending, I recommend that you check
> out the rules and background material he has put up on the site.)

This sounds interesting! I have some questions related to the AN:

ABYSSAL NIGHTMARE
Abyssal Nightmare is placed in the center of the table at the beginning
of each game (this card is custom-designed for this event and not legal
for play outside this event). Any Methuselah who controls a ready minion
may pay 1 pool or use a master phase action to take control of the Abyssal
Nightmare during their minion phase. Abyssal Nightmare is removed from
play during their influence phase and placed back in the center of the
table.

Demon with 5 life. 3 strength, 2 bleed, flight.
Move Abyssal Nightmare to the ready region when recruited. The Nightmare
may enter combat with a ready minion controlled by another Methuselah
as a (D) action. Abyssal Nightmare may play cards requiring basic or
superior
Daimoinon, Obtenebration, Potence or Necromancy as a vampire with
a capacity of 5. Any cost in blood is paid in life. During your influence
phase,
remove Abyssal Nightmare from play.

1. If the Meth who controls the AN is ousted during her minion phase, the
text would seem to indicate that the AN is gone forever, since the AN would
be removed from play with the oust and neither paying 1 pool nor using a MPA
can take control of an out-of-play card, and the AN has no rule bringing it
back to the center of the table except during a Meth's influence phase.
Correct?

2. If the AN does a Descent Into Darkness, it would seem that the AN could
potentially stay out-of-play forever, correct?

Descent Into Darkness
Obtenebration
1 blood
+1 stealth action.
[obt] Turn the acting vampire and any cards on him or her face down,
out of play (breaking any temporary control effects). Put this card on
him or her(in play). During your influence phase, move 2 blood to this
face down vampire from the blood bank, and you can choose to burn
this card to return the vampire to play, tapped.
[OBT] As above, but the vampire is untapped when he or she returns to play.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
Las Vegas NAQ 2009! http://members.cox.net/vtesinlv/

Salem

Feb 21, 2009, 11:29:06 PM2/21/09
Kevin M. wrote:

> This sounds interesting! I have some questions.

me too!

"The cities Kindred are in uproar." should be "The city's Kindred are in
uproar."

"If the Armageddon clock is burned, players must search through their
hand, library and/or ash heap to put up to 2X monster Ally cards into
play, where X is equal to the number of players in the game."

So you MUST search. But are you required to find any? And if so, must
you find as many as you can up to 2X? or can you just find 1?

> ABYSSAL NIGHTMARE
> Abyssal Nightmare is placed in the center of the table at the beginning
> of each game (this card is custom-designed for this event and not legal
> for play outside this event). Any Methuselah who controls a ready minion
> may pay 1 pool or use a master phase action to take control of the Abyssal
> Nightmare during their minion phase.

this could be read as 'pay 1 pool to do nothing' or '[must] use a master
phase action to take control...'. I am pretty sure that's not the intent
(rather, it's actually just two ways of taking control of it, both
optional), but might be worth clarifying.

Also, I don't have any master phase actions to spend during my minion
phase. Perhaps clarify a little to something like this:
"Any Methuselah who controls a ready minion during their master phase

may pay 1 pool or use a master phase action to take control of the
Abyssal Nightmare during their minion phase."

That way the payment and control effect both get separated into their
phases.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Salem

Feb 21, 2009, 11:31:58 PM2/21/09
Kevin M. wrote:
> Mongrel (MDH) wrote:
>> BYO Storyline: Providence (Whispers in the Darkness)
>> Written and designed by Greg Williams

PS: Awesome storyline!

gwil...@storageannex.com

Feb 23, 2009, 12:03:37 PM2/23/09
On Feb 21, 6:11 pm, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> Mongrel (MDH) wrote:
> > BYO Storyline: Providence (Whispers in the Darkness)
> > Written and designed by Greg Williams
> > Noon, Sunday April 5th, 2009
> > Your Move Games, Somerville, MA
> > Entry: $5
> > Format: Custom Storyline 3R+F Constructed (See rules on website below)
> >http://www.ashheap.storageannex.com/byosprovidence.htm
> >http://www.vtesstorylines.com/(will be up soon)

This is a very good point. The intention was that whenever the AH
leaves play for any reason it would be returned to the center of the
table uncontrolled. Perhaps adding that specific statement to the
rules eliminate this ambiguity.

"If the Abyssal Horror leaves play for any reason, move it to the
center table uncontrolled. Burn any cards on the Abyssal Horror."

> 2. If the AN does a Descent Into Darkness, it would seem that the AN could
> potentially stay out-of-play forever, correct?
>
> Descent Into Darkness
> Obtenebration
> 1 blood
> +1 stealth action.
> [obt] Turn the acting vampire and any cards on him or her face down,
> out of play (breaking any temporary control effects). Put this card on
> him or her(in play). During your influence phase, move 2 blood to this
> face down vampire from the blood bank, and you can choose to burn
> this card to return the vampire to play, tapped.
> [OBT] As above, but the vampire is untapped when he or she returns to play.

Same here.

"If the Abyssal Horror leaves play for any reason, move it to the
center table uncontrolled. Burn any cards on the Abyssal Horror."

> Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
> "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
>  you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
> "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
> Please visit VTESville daily!http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
> Las Vegas NAQ 2009!http://members.cox.net/vtesinlv/

Thanks,
Greg

gwil...@storageannex.com

Feb 23, 2009, 12:12:23 PM2/23/09
On Feb 21, 11:29 pm, Salem <kella...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin M. wrote:
> > This sounds interesting!  I have some questions.
>
> me too!
>
> "The cities Kindred are in uproar." should be "The city's Kindred are in
> uproar."

Me english bad.

> "If the Armageddon clock is burned, players must search through their
> hand, library and/or ash heap to put up to 2X monster Ally cards into
> play, where X is equal to the number of players in the game."
>
> So you MUST search. But are you required to find any? And if so, must
> you find as many as you can up to 2X? or can you just find 1?

You MUST search (and shuffle afterword). Put up the 2X minions in play
of put as many as you find into play up to the limit of 2X, where X is
the number of players in the game. If you fail to find any, then you
are SOL, but otherwise uneffected.

> > ABYSSAL NIGHTMARE
> > Abyssal Nightmare is placed in the center of the table at the beginning
> > of each game (this card is custom-designed for this event and not legal
> > for play outside this event).  Any Methuselah who controls a ready minion
> > may pay 1 pool or use a master phase action to take control of the Abyssal
> > Nightmare during their minion phase.
>
> this could be read as 'pay 1 pool to do nothing' or '[must] use a master
> phase action to take control...'. I am pretty sure that's not the intent
> (rather, it's actually just two ways of taking control of it, both
> optional), but might be worth clarifying.

You are correct. The intent was to have either choice be optional.
Either send 1 pool or a MPA.

> Also, I don't have any master phase actions to spend during my minion
> phase. Perhaps clarify a little to something like this:
> "Any Methuselah who controls a ready minion during their master phase
> may pay 1 pool or use a master phase action to take control of the
> Abyssal Nightmare during their minion phase."

Nice way to rephrase.

> That way the payment and control effect both get separated into their
> phases.
>
> --
> salem
> (replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Thanks,
Greg

gwil...@storageannex.com

Feb 23, 2009, 12:13:32 PM2/23/09

Thanks! I put some elbow grease into it.

Hopefully, it will be as fun to play as to create.

And again, thanks for the feedback.

Greg

gwil...@storageannex.com

Feb 23, 2009, 12:16:58 PM2/23/09
Ick! Sorry about the typos in my responses. Was typing on a small
keyboard in my iPod Touch.

Greg

Salem

Feb 24, 2009, 7:23:17 AM2/24/09
gwil...@storageannex.com wrote:
> Ick! Sorry about the typos in my responses. Was typing on a small
> keyboard in my iPod Touch.

typos? i thought that was just you englishing bad. ;)