Assamite Newsletter, September 2007.

Oko

Sep 27, 2007, 3:38:00 AM9/27/07
Assamite Clan newsletter. Volume 7, Issue 1 (September 2007)
Written by Otto Kukkasniemi

=========================

Yes, now is as good time as ever. The Path of Blood.com has returned
from it's nigh year long hiatus.
Lords of the Night is to be released today. As good of a time as any.

-----------

LORDS OF THE NIGHT - Clan tidings.

Lords of the Night, being a set designed for the Independent clans
naturally holds a good number of new cards for clan Assamite.
Infact, there's so many of them, that I'd rather save my ammo for
future newsletter's and briefly handle only a couple of them this
month, instead of prattling about all to no useful effect.

First I have chosen a card which introduces a new mechanism, Aim.

[color=#4080FF]Target Vitals[/color]
Combat
[b]Aim. Play when choosing a strike.[/b]
If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the
opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this
strike, and he or she cannot press this round.
The opposing minion may discard two combat cards to cancel this card.
A minion may play only one aim each strike.

How does this help Assamites, then? Because, when playing the
traditional Assamite combat, you're committing yourself to long range
combat.
Ponder this; which will be better, hitting your opponent with Blood
Sweat for 3, then playing Pursuit and another Blood Sweat totaling 6
unpreventable damage, 2 blood loss for yourself, and 3 cards, or
playing a single Blood Sweat with Target Vitals for 5, also denying
your opponent from pressing?
The fact that your opponent can discard two combat cards to cancel
your one is not a trifling matter. One cannot simply have it all. Even
if they should do so, chances are they will discard
cards that propably could help them in the future. Maybe not against
your minions, maybe so.

Also notable is, that Aim cards are easily flushable from your hand.
Also of note is, that if you get caught at short range, your strike
will still inflict the 2 additional damage should you go to torpor.

There are other Aim cards as well in the set, namingly Target; Head,
Hand and Leg, all of which contain the same basic principle. Opponent
may discard cards to cancel your card.
If your strike lands, it will have additional effects.

--

Next, we'll take a look at a card which more support the traditional
Assamite combat line, a unique retainer.

[color=#4040FF]Omael Kuman[/color]
Assamite
Retainer
1 pool
[b]Unique ghoul with 1 life.[/b]
Before range is determined on the first round of combat, the minion
with this retainer may burn 1 blood to set the range for the round.

But we already have Selective Silence, I hear you thinking. So?
Permaments will always be superior to transients, especially when it
comes to combat. You will not always hold a Selective Silence when you
need one.
Sadly, this ghoul is unique, but we can work around that. After all,
clan Assamite mostly deals in star-decks. Some people will claim that
they'd rather play IR Goggles instead, IR goggles being free, not
unique and supplying, to an extent, the same effect.
I do not think so. It is not uncommon for other players to maneuver
back to close range against Assamites, knowing that at long range they
will propably be at the wrong end of a nasty strike. Sure, you could
play a Pursuit after they do so.
While Omael is not superhot, mainly because you need to burn a blood
for his effect, he is not bad either. He doesnt prevent you from
getting the IR Goggles, nor from playing that Flash either. He will
however, provide you with more options. More options, by and far, is
good. See above. You will not always hold a Selective Silence when you
need one.

With the amount of Auspex Assamites have, it is not entirely
unconceivable to start one's rushes with an inferior Aura Reading
every now and then, especially when dealing with a dodgy opponent who
you presume to hold tricks up his sleeve. Not a lot of course, but one
Aura Reading can save you from a world of frustration, even if you
play it but once during a game. There are also a good number of
Assamites with Animalism, having access to Owl Retainer's and
permament open handedness.
But, I digress.

Omael shines when played with the best combat card long range
Assamites have. Psyche! When you use Omael's special, you will
pressure your opponent into playing his defense, mainly a
Strike; Combat Ends, the achilles heel of Assamite long range combat.
Playing a good chunk of Psyche! will mean they will run out of S:CE,
leaving themselves open. This free's up deck space
for other options, and also compacts your combat into a more permanent
solution. Psyche! also works wonderfully with IR Goggles, provided
your opponent does not have an inherent maneuver.

--

With the inclusion of a good number of different Assamites with
Auspex, I feel this card will play a good role in the future of

[color=#4040FF]Lesser Boon[/color]
[b]Master: out-of-turn. Boon.[/b]
Only usable when a minion you control successfully blocks. The actions
resolves as if unblocked. Put this card on the acting minion. This
minion cannot block your minions.
Burn this card if you block this minion again, or when this minion's
controller has less than 6 pool.

Now, a crucial fact about Assamites has not changed with LoTN. We are
still a clan of One. What I mean is, Assamite decks generally fall
into the star-vampire category, and in that category, your support
minions are very valuable. With the inclusion of this card, having
your support minions be able to act without fear of blocking from your
prey's possible block-a-tron minion, is pure dynamite. Admittedly, if
you block a crucial vampire of your prey's, chances are he might do
actions in the future as well that you'd like to block as well, thus
possibly burning the pool. Overlooking that issue, which while
certainly not trivial, the better part of this card is the latter
clause when it is burned.
It is burned when your prey is well within the lunging distance. Doing
5 pool damage is a simple matter of one well placed Fame and a bleed
for 1. Simply awesome.

--

And now, for a truely awesome card, which should find it's way into
most Assamite decks, regardless of type.

[color=#4040FF]Haqim's Law: Leadership[/color]
Assamite
Action
[b]+1 stealth action.[/b]
Each Methuselah who controls any of the oldest ready Assamites gains 2
pool.

Assamite Scam. Should you find yourself the only player with Assamites
in the table, a thought not entirely unconceivable, each of these
puppies will net you 2 pool. What's not to like?
I don't think there's a lot that can be said about this card,
honestly. It's just pure good. See; Khabar; Glory. All Assamite decks
should pack 'em.

--

I feel we simply must discuss one of the new Assamites as well. And
here he is.

[color=#BF0040]Sajid al Misbah[/color]
Assamite
Group 5
Capacity 4.
[b]Independent:[/b] Cards that require Quietus cost Sajid 1 less
blood. Sajid cannot block older vampires. Blood cursed.

Surprised? Yeah, he's not star material. He is, however, the cheapest
vampire in the game with a constant cost reducing effect.
And he is a model of the traditional Assamite combat. Yes, he lacks
other disciplines, which is a flaw, but nothing that cannot be worked
around.
Clearly, he is not the vampire you choose to go after that S:CE toting
wacko to the left of you. Well, not the first one, at least.
But he is a vampire on whom you can depend on numerous occasions. He
is not only a cheap "enabler" vampire (who enables all Assamite cards)
but also a danger to any vampire with merely 2 combat cards
guaranteeing torpor.

--

All in all, the set has been one of the best WW has released in a long
time, and not just because it heavily influences the way Assamites are

In future issues, I will delve deeper into the new cards and vampires,
as well as introduce some new decks.
Lords of the Night brought so many new toys, that expounding my
thoughts in a single newsletter would be demeaning to them.

Until next month, Alamut remains cloaked in restive silence.

Oko

Sep 27, 2007, 3:41:03 AM9/27/07
.. Yeah. I rock.
Clearly, NG's should move into a new age where colors and fancy
editing reign supreme. Clearly.

Wookie813

Sep 27, 2007, 3:50:39 AM9/27/07

Obviously. The issue of color is black and white.

Thanks for an excellent NL, Oko. I look forward to just being able to
play the new cards and not having to think about them too much - cuz
you'll do it for me!!! YAY!

Bram Vink

Sep 27, 2007, 3:54:32 AM9/27/07

Perhaps it would be good to add that Sajid has QUI as far disciplines
go. Not everyone is familiar with the cards yet. ;)

Oko

Sep 27, 2007, 7:07:47 AM9/27/07

See.. SEE?! That's fancy editing for you.
I rrrrock. Who paper?