A sad story...

Adman

Jun 19, 2006, 6:41:26 PM6/19/06
Copied from an email to a friend... thought you all might like the
story, too...

Adman

---

So I played a nethack game yesterday.... I'll spare you all the
details, but I was doing really well. I was playing a monk, had gotten
by both Gnomish Mines and Sokoban. I sacrificed for Mjollnir, and
found TWO magic lamps (used one to wish for a bag of holding, after
Sokoban gave me an amulet of reflection).

Anyways, I was heading down to the castle, and found another altar, so
I figured I'd sacrifice. I killed a zruty, and picked it up (which was
HEAVY, so I was moving slow), and started walking to the altar. A
mumak or some 'q' ran up and started wailing on me hard, so I dropped
the zruty corpse. Of course, that action gave it another turn of free
hits, so at this point, I have about 20hp left. Not bad enough to
pray, but probably only one turn worth of action. I look at my
inventory, and figure that my best option is to read a scroll of
teleportation. That should give me time to get the potions of healing
out of my bag of holding (I should have left at least one in my
inventory!)

So, I read the scroll.

"You read the scroll of teleportation. You see here a zruty corpse.
The mumak hits! The mumak butts! You die...."

It took me a couple seconds to figure out that I teleported to the
EXACT SAME SQUARE that I was standing on, right onto the dropped zruty
corpse, and right next to the mumak.

Un... be... lievable.

Adman

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 19, 2006, 7:31:26 PM6/19/06
Adman wrote:

> "You read the scroll of teleportation. You see here a zruty corpse.
> The mumak hits! The mumak butts! You die...."

Sad indeed.

> It took me a couple seconds to figure out that I teleported to the
> EXACT SAME SQUARE that I was standing on, right onto the dropped zruty
> corpse, and right next to the mumak.

The RNG seems to be cruel enough to also teleport you right into the
stomach of a purple worm.

> Un... be... lievable.

That's Nethack!

Janis