Nethack Screen Saver 1.0

Adman

Mar 25, 2009, 12:30:40 AM3/25/09
I think my Nethack Screen Saver is finally ready for the public!

The screensaver uses ttyrec files from nethack.alt.org, and plays them
back at near-real time (long pauses are reduced to a few seconds), or
at Hyperspeed, which plays them back very quickly. The effect,
obviously, simulates a real game being played automatically. It's a
pretty geek-cool screensaver, I think.

This is Windows only (sorry Linux folks), created using C# in Visual
Studio 2005. The screensaver (and the source) is given away
completely free for your enjoyment and education. (Though a donate
link is included, in case your conscience urges you to tip a dollar or
two :)

The screensaver and source and both be found at:
http://drop.io/NethackScreenSaver

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments/suggestions/bug
reports! I'd love to hear from you.

Adman
asp...@yahoo.com

lmfback

Mar 27, 2009, 8:25:43 AM3/27/09
In article <544f41c5-193d-47ee-9f50-73dacdcbdd58
@u39g2000pru.googlegroups.com>, asp...@yahoo.com says...

> I think my Nethack Screen Saver is finally ready for the public!

Ok, for the first time in my life I'm actually using a screen saver (I
hate them). Great work.

I wonder, if I locate an astral plane ttyrec, would that be spoily :D

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

Adman

Mar 27, 2009, 11:50:15 AM3/27/09
> > I think my Nethack Screen Saver is finally ready for the public!
>
> Ok, for the first time in my life I'm actually using a screen saver (I
> hate them). Great work.

Woo hoo! Thanks for the feedback. I think it's a great effect for a
screensaver, myself.

For what it's worth, one of the ttyrecs included is a full, start-to-
finish ascension.

Adman

adam.h...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 8:20:34 AM3/31/09
> Please let me know if you have any questions/comments/suggestions/bug
> reports!  I'd love to hear from you.

I'd recommend adding a speed feature, such that people could play the
ttyrec at normal speed, slow, medium, fast, etc. I dunno if that's
resonably possible, though.

Adman

Mar 31, 2009, 10:56:50 AM3/31/09
> I'd recommend adding a speed feature, such that people could play the
> ttyrec at normal speed, slow, medium, fast, etc.  I dunno if that's
> resonably possible, though.

Good suggestion. That's certainly possible, and it crossed my mind.

I think, though, for the purposes of a screensaver, that Hyperspeed
and normal speed were sufficient. Remember, the purpose of a
screensaver isn't really to be a general purpose ttyrec player. It's
supposed to be something cool going on in the background while you're
not at your computer. If you really want to pay attention to what's
going on on the screen, you should definitely use a better ttyrec
player. :)

Hope this helps. Thanks for your feedback!
Adman

croupier

Mar 31, 2009, 1:41:20 PM3/31/09
> aspr...@yahoo.com

The only conern i have when using this screen saver is the possibility
of burn-in on my LCD screens. With the status bar at the bottom, I'm
afraid the text will get permanently imprinted on my monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

I think it is rare to have a permanent affect on modern LCD's, but
i've had the temporary affect on my monitors at work and it was
annoying.

Adman

Mar 31, 2009, 2:25:09 PM3/31/09

That's a good point. Burn-in DID occur to me, but I really only
thought of the game area (which changes when levels are changed). I
totally didn't think of the status lines at the bottom.

I've never had any experience with this, temporary or permanent
(though I do remember the issue on very old amber-screened CRTs back
in the day). I'll investigate options.

For now, you could use the screensaver in conjunction with power-
saving mode to power down your monitor... Or simply not use it. :)

Adman

kur...@tin.it

Apr 2, 2009, 1:06:53 PM4/2/09
Adman <asp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think my Nethack Screen Saver is finally ready for the public!
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions/comments/suggestions/bug
> reports! I'd love to hear from you.
>
> Adman
> asp...@yahoo.com

absolutely amazing!

Ciao!

Fra

Adman

Apr 2, 2009, 1:29:47 PM4/2/09
> absolutely amazing!
>
> Ciao!
>
> Fra

I think I can now add "internationally acclaimed" to the
description! :)

Glad you like it!

Adman

lmfback

Apr 3, 2009, 1:43:35 AM4/3/09
In article <8039702d-3f90-4f50-8c2d-9875455a46d2
@s38g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, asp...@yahoo.com says...

> > absolutely amazing!
> >
> > Ciao!
> >
> > Fra
>
> I think I can now add "internationally acclaimed" to the
> description! :)

Oh yes, you also got a "Cool" from Ireland already. We are spreading
the holy word...

Justin Davis

Apr 21, 2009, 4:44:02 PM4/21/09

what if you did the display in a smaller window, and then have the
whole window bounce around the screen (very slowly)

Adman

Apr 21, 2009, 5:09:49 PM4/21/09
> what if you did the display in a smaller window, and then have the
> whole window bounce around the screen (very slowly)

Yes, that would be a good way to do it. I believe I already have
variables that could be easily manipulated to control where the screen
is drawn. I'll take a quick look.

Adman