YAAP: Funcrunch-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha, no-polyself, no-artifact-wish (NAO)

funcrunch

Mar 30, 2007, 12:09:42 PM3/30/07
In my continuing quest to ascend with every class (and race) on the
NAO server, my elven wizard reached the status of demigoddess early
this morning. While I don't startscum wizards, I was happy to begin
with some decent inventory items, including a scroll of identify and
spellbook of extra healing. An altar on level one, magic lamp in
Izchak's shop, and co-aligned temple in Minetown also helped me get to
a good start. I named Sting and quickly trained dagger to Expert in
anticipation of receiving MagicBane, and used the starting force bolt
spell on enough early monsters to train attack skill to expert as
well.

Though I had some close calls with a pack of winter wolves in the
Mines, judicious use of Elbereth helped me dispatch them and get to
the bones pile of the unfortunate player they previously dismembered.
Nothing terribly remarkable contained therein, but soon a wand of
polymorph turned one of my army of dogs and cats into a nice gray
dragon, who chomped on all shopkeepers (sparing Izchak), allowing me
to max out my protection quickly. Wished-for silver dragon scale mail,
starting cloak of magic resistance, and a bag of holding from Minetown
meant I could once again skip the hated Sokoban.

Despite a good deal of sacrificing at the temple, I was unable to get
a really decent weapon other than Magicbane. Even if I had wanted to
wish for an artifact weapon (which I didn't, as I very rarely violate
that conduct), there were already too many artifacts in the game;
besides Sting, I'd found Mjollnir in that bones pile in the mines (but
it blasted me and I didn't really want to use it anyway) and been
granted Trollsbane (gee thanks). I decided to see if I could win the
game with MB, spells, and pets alone. Enchanting to +2, it seemed to
do well enough against most beasties. Charm monster brought Medusa's
Titan to my side, handy and high on hit points though with a voracious
appetite.

Magic mapping got me through Gehennom quickly. I had been crowned and
so had finger of death, but mostly used cone of cold as it took less
power. I still hadn't found or polypiled magic missile (never found
Ludios so my polypiling was more limited than usual), but didn't want
to waste a wish on it. In Moloch's Sanctum I took enough damage that I
decided to use the Eye to return to my stash in Minetown and re-read
all my spells before the ascension run. I also wrote my own magic
missile spellbook - lucky that worked since I'd never seen one, but
Wizards get a better chance to do so. A few more sacrifices granted me
Werebane, and while it had no special bonus against most monsters I
decided the silver damage would be handy against demons, and I really
wanted to have something besides MB so I enchanted it to +7. With
Rodney on my tail and my curses surrounding my inventory despite
dropping the Book and not having the Amulet yet (is this a bug?), I
wasn't going to hang around for hundreds more turns waiting for Frost
Brand (my favorite besides Grayswandir, which is only for lawfuls).

After doing that, I returned to the high priest's temple to find him
absent, with no Amulet in sight! Frantically I searched the entire
level, thinking back to disintegration blasts from a black dragon (but
the Amulet can't be destroyed, right?), whether Rodney had anything
with him on any of his appearances (he hadn't, and I took him out with
one finger each time), or whether the priest had perhaps level-
teleported out. Finally thinking the last conclusion may unfortunately
be correct, I went up a level, to find Yeenoghu on the upstair. I
remembered him running up there when I beat on him earlier, but didn't
think about the implications at the time. Teleporting to the stair and
taking him out, I finally retrieved the Amulet.

Getting back up was easy. I reunited with my gray dragon in the
Castle; he was surprisingly still tame. I wished for a ring of
conflict as I'd never found one, dumped a bunch of excess inventory,
and left the dungeon. Couldn't get the dragon to go through the portal
to the plane of Air with me, but that was OK; once levitating I was
finally unburdened, and easily eluded the air elementals on the way to
the portal. Took off the ring before entering Astral so I could get my
pet Angel. I tried using the Candelabrum for light and the jumping
spell as I'd read that suggestion, but kept bumping into things. Death
drained off over 50HP as MB and WB weren't terribly effective on him,
as I feared. But I still had nearly 300HP by the end. First altar was
the right one, and I had succeeded with my fifth NAO class and fourth
race. Though unfortunately my score was not high enough to get on the
top 2000 list this time, this was my fastest NAO ascension so far,
though not at all speedy at >64K turns.

Funcrunch the Necromancer St:18 Dx:20 Co:16 In:24 Wi:24 Ch:10
Chaotic S:1237992
Astral Plane $:0 HP:293(293) Pw:355(383) AC:-38 Xp:25/50004283 T:
64196 Burdened

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus [wanted to pay him off like Baalzebub but he ran off;
killed him on the way back up]
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
Death
a high priest
a mastodon
Medusa
8 krakens
[...]
2802 creatures vanquished.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 17 types of monsters [hL; - my usual set when I'm not
going for no-genocide conduct]
You polymorphed 260 items
You never changed form
You used 5 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
(none)
Weapon Skills
dagger [Expert]
saber [Basic]
quarterstaff [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Expert]
healing spells [Skilled]
divination spells [Skilled]
enchantment spells [Basic]
clerical spells [Skilled]
escape spells [Basic]

Goodbye funcrunch the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 2636184 points,
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Werebane (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
[...]
and 0 pieces of gold, after 64196 moves.
You were level 25 with a maximum of 293 hit points when you ascended.

2636184 funcrunch-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha ascended
demigoddess-hood.
293 [293]

carlh...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2007, 12:26:46 PM3/30/07
On Mar 30, 9:09 am, "funcrunch" <web-goog...@funcrunch.org> wrote:
> In my continuing quest to ascend with every class (and race) on the
> NAO server,

Congratulations, you're on quite a role! Thanks for posting your
YAAP's.

my elven wizard reached the status of demigoddess early
> this morning. While I don't startscum wizards, I was happy to begin
> with some decent inventory items, including a scroll of identify and
> spellbook of extra healing. An altar on level one, magic lamp in
> Izchak's shop, and co-aligned temple in Minetown also helped me get to
> a good start. I named Sting and quickly trained dagger to Expert in
> anticipation of receiving MagicBane, and used the starting force bolt
> spell on enough early monsters to train attack skill to expert as
> well.
>
> Though I had some close calls with a pack of winter wolves in the
> Mines, judicious use of Elbereth helped me dispatch them and get to
> the bones pile of the unfortunate player they previously dismembered.
> Nothing terribly remarkable contained therein, but soon a wand of
> polymorph turned one of my army of dogs and cats into a nice gray
> dragon, who chomped on all shopkeepers (sparing Izchak), allowing me
> to max out my protection quickly. Wished-for silver dragon scale mail,
> starting cloak of magic resistance, and a bag of holding from Minetown
> meant I could once again skip the hated Sokoban.

Why do you hate Sokoban? What about the wands and rings and easy loot
to be found there?

I didn't realize that Named Demons could climb stairs while holding
the Amulet. Can they drink cursed potions of GL with the Amulet?

> Getting back up was easy. I reunited with my gray dragon in the
> Castle; he was surprisingly still tame. I wished for a ring of
> conflict as I'd never found one, dumped a bunch of excess inventory,
> and left the dungeon. Couldn't get the dragon to go through the portal
> to the plane of Air with me, but that was OK; once levitating I was
> finally unburdened, and easily eluded the air elementals on the way to
> the portal. Took off the ring before entering Astral so I could get my
> pet Angel. I tried using the Candelabrum for light and the jumping
> spell as I'd read that suggestion, but kept bumping into things.

I don't use jumping or jumping boots on Astral unless I have some way
to thin down the crowds. "Burp!"

funcrunch

Mar 30, 2007, 12:44:10 PM3/30/07
On Mar 30, 9:26 am, carlhnel...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 30, 9:09 am, "funcrunch" <web-goog...@funcrunch.org> wrote:
>
> > In my continuing quest to ascend with every class (and race) on the
> > NAO server,
>
> Congratulations, you're on quite a role! Thanks for posting your
> YAAP's.

Thanks! Glad someone is reading them :-)

> Why do you hate Sokoban? What about the wands and rings and easy loot
> to be found there?

I just don't enjoy this particular game-within-a-game. If I absolutely
have to get one of the prizes, I use a spoiler to solve it quickly.
But even that takes time and I find it tedious.

> > I went up a level, to find Yeenoghu on the upstair. I
> > remembered him running up there when I beat on him earlier, but didn't
> > think about the implications at the time. Teleporting to the stair and
> > taking him out, I finally retrieved the Amulet.
>
> I didn't realize that Named Demons could climb stairs while holding
> the Amulet. Can they drink cursed potions of GL with the Amulet?

Good question. I really didn't think Yeenoghu even had enough time to
get the Amulet and leave; I only remember seeing him for a second. I
didn't even enter the actual temple before I levported up to my stash
and back down, so was really surprised to find it empty when I
returned.

> I don't use jumping or jumping boots on Astral unless I have some way
> to thin down the crowds. "Burp!"

Yeah, that's another good idea I've read (reverse-gen and tame/
conflict purple w). I'm just always so nervous on Astral about running
into Pestilence that I try to finish as fast as possible. I've been
very lucky not to get anywhere near him the last few ascensions but
he's killed me on Astral offline at least twice.