YAAP Tenaya11 Eleven (11) Conducts

Carl

Dec 12, 2007, 7:43:59 PM12/12/07
Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
Weaponless, Wishless

About 12 days later (missed Dev Null) than I had hoped, but here it
is:
----
http://alt.org/nethack/dumplog/Tenaya11.lastgame.txt
----
Tenaya11 the Wizard St:25 Dx:14 Co:18 In:16 Wi:16 Ch:8 Chaotic
Astral Plane $:28 HP:336(745) Pw:449(449) AC:-6 Exp:28 Satiated
Burdened

Your inventory
Amulets
k - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
u - a cursed amulet of life saving
M - a blessed amulet of life saving (being worn)
R - a blessed amulet of life saving
Weapons
g - 36 blessed poisoned +0 darts named unc+0
Y - 11 blessed +0 elven daggers named WT=38-40 (in quiver)
Armor
f - a blessed +0 pair of speed boots named run @ 126747 (being worn)
o - an uncursed greased thoroughly corroded +1 helm of telepathy
named b (being worn)
r - a blessed +2 dwarvish mithril-coat named b (being worn)
y - a blessed +1 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
D - a blessed +0 shield of reflection named VS=46,^=44 (being worn)
U - a blessed greased rotted +2 cloak of displacement (being worn)
Comestibles
J - a cursed lizard corpse named c=6,8,16,17,27,32
Scrolls
x - an uncursed scroll of scare monster named 11
F - a blessed scroll of scare monster named 13
N - a blessed scroll of create monster
T - a blessed scroll of scare monster named 15
Spellbooks
l - the blessed Book of the Dead
Potions
c - a blessed potion of paralysis named 3
i - a cursed potion of paralysis named 4
m - an uncursed potion of paralysis named 1
K - 3 blessed diluted potions of full healing named unc
Rings
b - a blessed ring of free action
d - a blessed ring of slow digestion named new-126318 (on right
hand)
e - a blessed ring of conflict named unc
Q - an uncursed ring of levitation named unc
Wands
a - a wand of teleportation named out (0:0)
j - a wand of teleportation named 0:x (0:0)
p - a blessed wand of teleportation named 0:x (0:7)
v - a cursed wand of death named -5 (0:2)
w - a wand of polymorph named 0:X (0:6)
z - a wand of cancellation named 0:x (0:0)
B - a wand of cold named 0:x (0:3)
E - a wand of lightning named 0:x (0:3)
I - a wand of fire named 0:x (0:7)
L - a wand of sleep named 0:x (0:4)
V - a cursed wand of teleportation named -4 (0:0)
W - a wand of light (0:10)
Tools
h - a blessed +0 unicorn horn named M=22,C=25
s - a cursed magic whistle named VotD=26,J=30,A=31,B=34,O=35
A - a cursed thoroughly corroded skeleton key named
P(sink=14,20,)P=18
H - a blessed magic lamp
O - a blessed tooled horn
P - a blessed towel named unc
S - a blessed stethoscope
Z - a blessed greased bag of holding
Gems
C - a cursed amethyst stone
G - a blessed luckstone named +10~123945

Contents of the bag of holding:
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed amulet of magical breathing named CANC
a blessed amulet of reflection named
G=2,S=6,Q=12,L=13,Sink=14,20,M=22
an uncursed amulet of life saving
2 +1 elven arrows
81 blessed poisoned +0 darts named unc+0
91 blessed +0 shuriken named unc+0
a blessed +0 pair of levitation boots
a blessed +1 oilskin cloak
a blessed greased very burnt +0 cloak of magic resistance
an uncursed +3 small shield named Valk-bones
a blessed +0 set of white dragon scales
a blessed +0 set of blue dragon scales
a blessed +0 set of gray dragon scales
an uncursed lizard corpse
a blessed scroll of scare monster named 14
an uncursed scroll of scare monster named 1
an uncursed scroll of scare monster named 6
an uncursed scroll of scare monster named 6
an uncursed potion of polymorph
an uncursed potion of paralysis named 7
an uncursed potion of paralysis named 6
an uncursed potion of paralysis named 5
10 uncursed potions of water named unc
4 blessed diluted potions of full healing named unc
3 cursed potions of paralysis named 2
3 uncursed potions of oil named unc
2 uncursed potions of acid
6 potions of unholy water named unc
9 uncursed potions of paralysis named b/u
3 cursed diluted potions of gain level
14 potions of holy water named unc
a blessed ring of fire resistance named unc
a blessed ring of shock resistance named unc
a blessed ring of teleportation named canc
a blessed ring of cold resistance
a blessed ring of stealth named canc
a blessed ring of polymorph control named LVL=37
a blessed ring of polymorph named unc
a blessed +3 ring of gain constitution named never used ...
an uncursed -6 ring of gain constitution named never used
a blessed ring of slow digestion named Left=4
a blessed ring of protection from shape changers named unc
a blessed ring of polymorph named unc
a blessed ring of polymorph control
a blessed ring of regeneration named unc
a wand of polymorph named -5 (0:0)
a wand of polymorph named 0:x (0:8)
a wand of polymorph named 0:x (0:8)
a wand of light named 0:x (0:13)
a wand of teleportation named -5? (0:2)
a wand of enlightenment (0:12)
a cursed wand of sleep named -5 (0:3)
a wand of undead turning (0:5)
a wand of sleep named 0:x (0:7)
a wand of teleportation named 0:x (0:5)
a wand of teleportation named 0:X (0:6)
a wand of sleep named 0:x (0:7)
a wand of sleep named 0:x (0:6)
a wand of polymorph named 0:x (0:3)
a wand of polymorph named 0:x (0:5)
a wand of polymorph named -1 (0:4)
a blessed magic harp named -2 (0:3)
3 blessed luckstones

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were warned
You had infravision
You were invisible to others
You were displaced
You had teleport control
You had slower digestion
You were very fast
You had reflection
Your life would have been saved
You were extremely lucky (13)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - force bolt 1* attack 100%
b - remove curse 3* clerical 100%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Pestilence (thrice)
Famine (twice)
255 black puddings (9 created)
1911 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
erinyes (extinct)
1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You went without food
You were an atheist
You never hit with a wielded weapon
You were illiterate
You never genocided any monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used no wishes

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
bare handed combat [Basic]
Weapon Skills
dagger [Expert]
quarterstaff [Basic]
dart [Expert]
shuriken [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Basic]
enchantment spells [Basic]

Goodbye Tenaya11 the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 49297662 points,
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
1 amethyst stone (worth 600 zorkmids),
5 amulets of life saving (worth 750 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 28 pieces of gold, after 127775 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 28 with a maximum of 745 hit points when you ascended.

You reached the 67th place on the top 2000 list.

cdinc...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 10:07:21 PM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 7:43 pm, Carl <carlhnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
> Weaponless, Wishless

Damn! That's just, um, damn impressive and congratulations.

-cdi

Carl

Dec 12, 2007, 11:36:20 PM12/12/07

Thanks! I was going to email you in case you weren't lurking around
anymore.

Henry J Cobb

Dec 13, 2007, 2:01:09 AM12/13/07
Carl wrote:
> Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
> Weaponless, Wishless

Wow.

How did you take down each of the big baddies?

Also with only one ring, what did you use to recharge nutrition?

Last, what was your starting gear?

-HJC

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 2:18:51 AM12/13/07
Back in June I managed to ascend a 10-conduct monk in Eidolos' NAO
tournament and over the next few months started thinking about whether
an 11-conduct hero was feasible. I've never tried pacifist so that
only left foodless. I had quite a few false starts and was basically
going on the wrong track in worrying about what starting spells my
wizards had. Then in Dev Null I lost several 10-conduct monks to
stupid maneuvers (falling in pits with cockatrice corpses, etc.) and
then nopsled took the trophy. So, I figured I would try something
novel since I hadn't seen an eleven conduct ascension in either the
Dev Null or June NAO tournaments. I failed but I was determined to
ascend. It had dawned on me that a wizard's combat prowess was
actually not all that bad, despite only being able to advance to basic
in unarmed combat ... it's all about the daggers. The lack of
intrinsics was a challenge but certainly not insurmountable. To
prevent starvation I used same-race polyself throughout the game. And
so began the startscumming ...

Rerolling:
http://alt.org/nethack/player-all.php?player=Tenaya11
I started a new nickname on NAO so that I could track my progress and,
as you can see, of the 226 games started, I only tried to play 12
(maybe 13 but can't remember about game 1). I played wizards since my
criteria for playing a character was that I start with a ring of slow
digestion and at least one of the following: ring of polymorph
control, or potion, wand or ring of polymorph. The ideal case was to
have a starting ring of polymorph control since finding a means of
polymorph is statistically easier than finding the ring of polymorph
control. Also the wizard's starting cloak made hunting for poly-traps
much safer. Spells and wands were just gravy if they were good and
the only useful scroll of course was scare monster.

The Plan (in a nutshell):
I figured that with a pet, careful play, and a stack of daggers I
could stay alive maintaining my conducts and not use too much
nutrition. While leveling up to increase my Hp, acquiring some good
armor and daggers, I needed to find a ring of polymorph before my
17,000 turns of nutrition was used up. After that I just had to set
up a pudding farm and get stacks of loot. I figured that I would end
up with all the armor that I wanted but without much enchantment, and
of course no dragon scale mail. I did find a GDSM in a bones pile but
didn't want to use it. With a lot of HP and wands from the farm I
planned on zapping my way across the Astral Plane. And that's
basically what happened. Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for
a pacifist since there is no pudding farming for the pacifist.

The Beginning:
I played an orc for the poison resistance and due to the low int and
consequent hunger consumption I avoided casting spells. At times I
was too conservative and should have used force bolt instead of dying
to ants and bats and foxes. With a starting ring of slow digestion, I
only had 17,000 turns to find a means of same-race polymorphing. So,
I made my way to Sokoban and used my pet to B/U/C identify my rings
and if cursed, I would fountain dip. In my final game I was fortunate
indeed to start out with a wand of enlightenment but would have price-
id'ed if I hadn't had the wand. Staying alive was not too hard if I
played carefully, which I did in 1 of 12 (or 13) games. In one game I
opened a box and got my ring of SD zapped. In the other YASD's I
should have played more carefully or used my pet better, or whatever.
But the deaths certainly seemed my fault rather than the RNG being too
difficult.
I usually wound up with a motley collection of daggers and threw them
as often as possible and eventually got my skill up high enough to
feel safe in the mines. Once I had collected some gnomish daggers I
was finally able to build up a decent sized stack of daggers; until
then I had like 6 separate stacks of daggers in my inventory (orcish,
elven, and regular and of all different + and B/U/C).
One windfall was finding a +2 dwarvish mithril coat that I wore for
the entire game. I was considering switching to dragon scale mail for
intrinsics but seeing how much punishment I would get in melee I opted
instead for the better AC. Intrinsics were handled by a full set of
rings and switching them at opportune times.

In a ranger bones pile I found a rotted +2 cloak of displacement but I
didn't wear it until I got to Astral. Until then I kept on my
starting cloak of magic resistance because I needed a guaranteed
source of MR. Once I woke up the Wizard I kept my Eye of the
Aethiopica in a bag.

(Thanks jspeed although despite reading your YASD, I've still had my
Quest Atifact stolen).

Pudding Agriculture:
In my November 11-conduct attempt I realized that I had probably been
unprepared for the ascension run and even though I quit due to
inadvertently cancelling my Bell of Opening, I probably would not have
survived the Astral Plane. So, once I found a ring of polymorph to go
with my ring of polymorph control I set up a pudding farm on level
15. This was my first attempt at farming and I was amazed at how easy
it was. Being able to hold down ^A to repeatedly swing my thoroughly
corroded lockpick for 1000 turns at a time did not seem very
sporting. But, there is a reason for death drops and if the dungeon
doesn't give a single potion of holy water, it's nice to know there is
a way to acquire it. I had a specific wish-list from my pudding farm
and 100,000 turns of it gave me all of the potions, rings, wands and
scrolls of scare monster that I could need. I also acquired 3 crystal
balls (much needed), boots of lev, boots of speed, +1 helm of
telepathy, +1 gloves of power. Noticeably missing items that were
missed much on Astral were boots of jumping and a helm of opposite
alignment.

Finishing touches:
I had planned on using a high-level purple worm after the farm to
handle liches and loot the Valley of the Dead for me but of course
Purple Burple ate a chameleon soon after I got him. I was spared the
effort of polytrap dancing by finding a magic harp. I soon realized
that with an unlimited supply of holy water (100+), scrolls of scare
monster, and plenty of daggers, liches weren't a problem. I even
meleed minotaurs with an AC=--4 and despite losing a couple hundred HP
to each one I was just fine because I had alchemised my way up over
500HP.

So, I found all of the stairs in Gehennom with some help from the
resident liches and lucked out in that an ice box was on level 3. I
used my wands of create monster until I had a cockatrice corpse for my
trip to the Plane of Earth. Also next to the ice box I left 60
blessed potions of fruit juice. I left some at the vibrating square
too. Oh yeah, and I had pudding farmed/alchemised 41 cursed potions
of gain level ... getting to the planes was easy.

I reasoned that even with Herculean HP and several amulets of life
saving I could still die or be heavily inconvenienced if I spent too
too much time during the ascension run. I was also quite nervous when
I had my polyself ring set on as suddenly a mis-key could turn me into
something other than an orc. With 100,000 turns already gone I was
playing quite fast and thus when the time came to polyself I put both
rings on and then, in a safe place, typed "n500." the controlled
polymorph always stops the waiting. But I did not want to do such a
stunt with Rodney after me so I switched to a juice diet once I had
killed Rodney (courtesy of the countless potions of sickness, see
invisible, fruit juice, and just plain old water from my farming days)
and did my last self-poly right before grabbing a cockatrice corpse
from his zoo.

The Astral Plane was difficult because I couldn't get Pestilence out
of the doorway and a lich and a titan kept summoning monsters.
Usually I have jumping boots but without them I couldn't get around
Pestilence's corpse and had to revive him with a teleport zap. I had
plenty of amulets of lifesaving and scrolls of scare monster so I was
never too concerned. With a ring of conflict and judicious teleport
zaps I managed to clear a lane through the plane and made my way to
all three altars.

That's probably more than enough description. Sorry this was so long.

--
Carl

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 2:56:49 AM12/13/07
On Dec 12, 11:01 pm, Henry J Cobb <hc...@io.com> wrote:
> Carl wrote:
> > Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
> > Weaponless, Wishless
>
> Wow.
>
> How did you take down each of the big baddies?
Gauntlets of power and expert in dagger helped.
Rodney was killed thrice with a rubber chicken;
Asmodeus was killed with thrown runed daggers while standing on the
Sanctum's upstairs with a scroll of scare monster;
the high priest in the Sanctum was killed by Asmodeus;
Baalzebub was bribed;
Minotaurs and dragons and trolls etc. were killed with thrown daggers
while they pummeled me;
Orcus was killed by a rubber chicken though it took two hits because
he had a potion of acid;
I killed some purple L's with thrown runed daggers while on the
upstairs with a scroll of scare monster;
Pestilence was killed with 2 or 3 zaps from a wand of death;
Famine was killed with a wand of death and 9 thrown runed daggers;
I slipped past Death;
and I think that's it.

> Also with only one ring, what did you use to recharge nutrition?
Before I found the ring of polymorph I found a second ring of slow
digestion and I did the ring exchange for a short while but I couldn't
have kept it up since it requires a lot of effort and it's easy to
make a mistake.

I wore the ring of slow digestion except for a short while on Astral
when I needed conflict and free action. With an amulet and two rings
I used 900 nutrition in 6000 turns so I took off slow digestion about
every 1000-2000 turns and put on my ring of polymorph and polymorph
control. The same-race polyself doesn't break conduct but sets
nutrition to 900. It also tended to increase my XL and I was hovering
at 30 or just under for most of the game.

> Last, what was your starting gear?

rings of slow digestion and polymorph control,
wand of enlightenment (not too shabby)
force bolt (casted about 20 times)
remove curse (only cast once or twice)
uncursed potions of confusion (threw at a giant ant and saved me), see
invis, and restore ability,
useless scrolls and of course a quarterstaff, and the cloak of MR
cloak of MR

Philip Potter

Dec 13, 2007, 5:45:28 AM12/13/07
Carl wrote:
[ 11-conduct ascension post ]

> Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for
> a pacifist since there is no pudding farming for the pacifist.

Why not? Pacifist prevents you killing creatures, but does it prevent
you splitting them? Killing them isn't a problem - pet, conflict, whatever.

> The Beginning:
> Pudding Agriculture:
[snip]

> This was my first attempt at farming and I was amazed at how easy
> it was. Being able to hold down ^A to repeatedly swing my thoroughly
> corroded lockpick for 1000 turns at a time did not seem very
> sporting. But, there is a reason for death drops and if the dungeon
> doesn't give a single potion of holy water, it's nice to know there is
> a way to acquire it. I had a specific wish-list from my pudding farm
> and 100,000 turns of it gave me all of the potions, rings, wands and
> scrolls of scare monster that I could need. I also acquired 3 crystal
> balls (much needed), boots of lev, boots of speed, +1 helm of
> telepathy, +1 gloves of power. Noticeably missing items that were
> missed much on Astral were boots of jumping and a helm of opposite
> alignment.
>
> Finishing touches:
> I had planned on using a high-level purple worm after the farm to
> handle liches and loot the Valley of the Dead for me but of course
> Purple Burple ate a chameleon soon after I got him. I was spared the
> effort of polytrap dancing by finding a magic harp. I soon realized
> that with an unlimited supply of holy water (100+), scrolls of scare
> monster, and plenty of daggers, liches weren't a problem.

You make it sound so easy!

> That's probably more than enough description. Sorry this was so long.

No, I felt it was the right length. Congratulations!

eskimo

Dec 13, 2007, 8:02:09 AM12/13/07
In article <d57462ef-a941-492e-994f-
c2e859...@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, carlh...@gmail.com
says...

> Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
> Weaponless, Wishless

Impressive (and I post these very rarely these days).

Pudding farming for drinks... clever (or I've never thought of that
option before so maybe it's just me *not* being clever :).

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

Kent Paul Dolan

Dec 13, 2007, 9:35:53 AM12/13/07
Philip Potter <p...@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Carl wrote:

> [ 11-conduct ascension post ]

I'm so glad you finally managed to succeed at this!

>> Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for a
>> pacifist since there is no pudding farming for
>> the pacifist.

> Why not? Pacifist prevents you killing creatures,
> but does it prevent you splitting them? Killing
> them isn't a problem - pet, conflict, whatever.

A boulder trap might work too, as someone mentioned
here a few months ago. I don't remember if the PC
stepping on the trigger clears the trap, but at
least all the other points along the path of the
boulder would be fruitful to harvest, and with a
level jammed 80% full of weak puddings, there'd
presumably be puddings being killed about as fast as
the PC could split them.

Food for 12 conduct thought, anyway, lest Carl run
out of goals in life. There are some pretty detailed
pacificist writeups online to get Carl started.

xanthian.

Not that anyone here will miss me, but I'll be away
for a while, my fiancee is having an ugly brain
tumor removed, that nearly caused her to kill
herself by deliberate starvation before it was
discovered, and needs me more than Usenet does.

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 2:39:24 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 2:45 am, Philip Potter <p...@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
> [ 11-conduct ascension post ]
>
> > Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for
> > a pacifist since there is no pudding farming for the pacifist.
>
> Why not? Pacifist prevents you killing creatures, but does it prevent
> you splitting them? Killing them isn't a problem - pet, conflict, whatever.

Right .... but can a monster leave a death drop if killed by something
other than the player?

> > The Beginning:
> > Pudding Agriculture:
> [snip]
> > This was my first attempt at farming and I was amazed at how easy
> > it was. Being able to hold down ^A to repeatedly swing my thoroughly
> > corroded lockpick for 1000 turns at a time did not seem very
> > sporting. But, there is a reason for death drops and if the dungeon
> > doesn't give a single potion of holy water, it's nice to know there is
> > a way to acquire it. I had a specific wish-list from my pudding farm
> > and 100,000 turns of it gave me all of the potions, rings, wands and
> > scrolls of scare monster that I could need. I also acquired 3 crystal
> > balls (much needed), boots of lev, boots of speed, +1 helm of
> > telepathy, +1 gloves of power. Noticeably missing items that were
> > missed much on Astral were boots of jumping and a helm of opposite
> > alignment.
>
> > Finishing touches:
> > I had planned on using a high-level purple worm after the farm to
> > handle liches and loot the Valley of the Dead for me but of course
> > Purple Burple ate a chameleon soon after I got him. I was spared the
> > effort of polytrap dancing by finding a magic harp. I soon realized
> > that with an unlimited supply of holy water (100+), scrolls of scare
> > monster, and plenty of daggers, liches weren't a problem.
>
> You make it sound so easy!

I wouldn't say easy, I'd say handleable, especially with
overpreparation. The two main threats of liches (assuming MR) are
their ability to summon nasties and curse items. Summon nasties can
be dealt with by a combination of conflict, scrolls of scare monster
(with backup scrolls in case of fire breathing), and wands of
teleport. The cursing of items is not a big deal when you have a
virtually unlimited supply of holy water. And of course the main
annoyance (or benefit) of liches is their tendency to flee to the
upstairs and I would just blindfold and when they teleported back to
me I would take their spot on the stairs.

> > That's probably more than enough description. Sorry this was so long.
>
> No, I felt it was the right length. Congratulations!

Thank you.

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 2:47:41 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 5:02 am, eskimo
<peter.backgren@tämä.on.soomee.ericsson.com> wrote:
> In article <d57462ef-a941-492e-994f-
> c2e85954a...@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, carlhnel...@gmail.com

> says...
>
> > Atheist, Illiterate, Foodless, Genoless, Polyselfless, Polyitemless,
> > Weaponless, Wishless
>
> Impressive (and I post these very rarely these days).
Thank you. Good luck/skill with your PAIN ascension!

> Pudding farming for drinks... clever (or I've never thought of that
> option before so maybe it's just me *not* being clever :).

Actually I didn't really think of it beforehand, but after cancelling
my potions and having 60 or 80 uncursed fruit juices, it made sense to
leave them somewhere useful. But I don't think the farming generated
nutritious potions fast enough to pay for itself. (Someone could
check the numbers though) Or at least I would not have felt
comfortable trying to do so. Even doing the same-race poly every 2000
turns (with amulet and 1 ring) there was no guarantee that I would be
polymorphed before starvation and sometimes I had to zap myself with a
wand while fainting. On the other hand once I was polymorphed on the
very next turn after putting on the ring of polymorph! With only one
instance/error as an exception, I always put on my ring of PC first,
and then put on the ring of polymorph.

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 2:56:46 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 6:35 am, Kent Paul Dolan <xanth...@well.com> wrote:
> Philip Potter <p...@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Carl wrote:
> > [ 11-conduct ascension post ]
>
> I'm so glad you finally managed to succeed at this!

Me too, the late nights were killing me and I was waiting for a sleep
deprivation YASD!

> >> Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for a
> >> pacifist since there is no pudding farming for
> >> the pacifist.
> > Why not? Pacifist prevents you killing creatures,
> > but does it prevent you splitting them? Killing
> > them isn't a problem - pet, conflict, whatever.
>
> A boulder trap might work too, as someone mentioned
> here a few months ago. I don't remember if the PC
> stepping on the trigger clears the trap, but at
> least all the other points along the path of the
> boulder would be fruitful to harvest, and with a
> level jammed 80% full of weak puddings, there'd
> presumably be puddings being killed about as fast as
> the PC could split them.

That's a good idea, so long as the PC doesn't step on the known trap.
Still though, do monsters killed by traps, or other monsters leave
death drops. If not, the PC is limited to the loot in the dungeon,
which can sometimes be sparse. I'd hate to clear all the way to the
castle as a 12-conduct pacifist and not have already found a potion of
holy water. I suppose it's not mandatory but I found it critical.

> Food for 12 conduct thought, anyway, lest Carl run
> out of goals in life. There are some pretty detailed
> pacificist writeups online to get Carl started.

Next goal is to try and convince my family that Nethack is not the
center of my universe. I tried to justify it being like a good book
or a puzzle with clear endings so it wouldn't appear chronic, ahem.
(I went ahead and created Tenaya12 on NAO but I'm going to leave it
alone for at least a couple of months!)

> xanthian.
>
> Not that anyone here will miss me, but I'll be away
> for a while, my fiancee is having an ugly brain
> tumor removed, that nearly caused her to kill
> herself by deliberate starvation before it was
> discovered, and needs me more than Usenet does.

I'm sure she does need you. Best wishes to you both and I hope that
all goes well. I'll miss you and I'm sure others will too. Probably
even some of those who you wouldn't think would miss you, as it's good
to have dissenting opinions.

Jym

Dec 13, 2007, 4:21:23 PM12/13/07
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:39:24 +0100, Carl <carlh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2:45 am, Philip Potter <p...@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Carl wrote:
>>
>> [ 11-conduct ascension post ]
>>
>> > Obviously this plan wouldn't have worked for
>> > a pacifist since there is no pudding farming for the pacifist.
>>
>> Why not? Pacifist prevents you killing creatures, but does it prevent
>> you splitting them? Killing them isn't a problem - pet, conflict,
>> whatever.
>>

> Right .... but can a monster leave a death drop if killed by something
> other than the player?

I've once tried (in wizmode) a self running pudding farm with a rolling
boulder triggered by the pudding themselves.
(the gopal was to try to get a XL1 character with all resistances, lots of
HP, ...)

They didn't left any death drop and at that time, iirc, someone told that
death drop only happen when the monster is killed by the player.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Carl

Dec 13, 2007, 5:01:37 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 1:21 pm, Jym <Jean-Yves.Moyen+n...@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
Thanks for that. I checked the Nethack Wiki and the code that is
available there has two different "calls", one for xkilled (where the
player kills the monster) and another for monkilled (where a monster
kills a monster. xkilled has a "call" for mkobj where an object is
generated. So I don't know if there is somewhere else that mkobj is
called from since the xkilled function has some features that seem to
be missing from monkilled like lifesaving and statue creation, etc.

cdinc...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2007, 9:42:28 AM12/14/07

Yeah, I don't lurk RGRN much anymore. To much spam for my tastes. It
gives me indigestion.

So, by random chance I happened to be ascending the game I started
back in July on NAO when I saw the Rodney announce your ascension on
#nethack.

-cdi

Kent Paul Dolan

Dec 15, 2007, 3:18:12 AM12/15/07

Happy Birthday to me, yesterday by now. She returned
after almost 12 hours of surgery still breathing.
Who could ask for a better gift?

xanthian.

Nervous Nick

Dec 15, 2007, 4:52:40 AM12/15/07

All the best, Kent. That's My thoughts are with you both. Thanks to
Ace, too, for keeping me apprised of developments during my absence
from (lurking) the ng.

FWIW.

Oh, and happing frikken bday, too, Kentosaurus!

Nicko

Nervous Nick

Dec 15, 2007, 4:54:06 AM12/15/07

"That's"? Well, I dunno what that thought was supposed to be.
Anyway, what I said.

bdurre...@yahoo.com

Dec 15, 2007, 7:08:54 AM12/15/07

Prayed for your fiancee's full recovery. I wish you both well.

- Bobby

Ace Lightning

Dec 16, 2007, 2:22:28 AM12/16/07
Nervous Nick wrote:
>>Happy Birthday to me, yesterday by now. She returned
>>after almost 12 hours of surgery still breathing.
>> Who could ask for a better gift?
>All the best, Kent. That's My thoughts are with you both. Thanks to
>Ace, too, for keeping me apprised of developments during my absence
>from (lurking) the ng.

no problem, and you're welcome. i'm anxiously awaiting the next
bulletin... but Kent *did* say that "no news is good news", because
he's devoting most of his energy and all of his time to being with
his fiancee as she recovers, rather than online. still keeping my
fingers, toes, tentacles, pseudopods, and other appendages crossed...