YAZAP - Zen elvish ranger

JoaoSantos

Aug 21, 2011, 8:01:44 AM8/21/11
Chaotic male elvish Ranger
Elf for starting Sting and elven cloak

Conducts 2 : polyitemless and arifact-wishless

It was a flawed Zen, since a monkey stole my towel, but I had a backup
blindfold.

dumplog :
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/g/graysocks/dumplog/1313060094.nh343.txt

Total number of games : 4665
Number of games with starting blindfold/towel : 25

It took me a lot of tries to ascend a zen ranger. Elven rangers are
pretty weak and I tend to play all roles as a fighter. Like always,
playing zen made me learn a bit more, and when I finally started to
play as suposed I started to make progress. It is of note how much
that was more important than early altars. Another factor in the
number of deaths was the long period in which I didn't play nethack
and had to re-learn lessons the hard way.

I started by naming my elven dagger Sting mostly to detect orcs, but
while I had +0 arrows I was wielding my bow and practicing it. I only
shot +2 arrows on more serious situations, and when I found new stacks
of arrows I also used them for practice.
I also used prayer to boost my max HP, and at level 2 it took me from
24 to 29 HP, which made a difference.

At Dlv 3 (after getting telepathy) I found a +2 splint mail and also a
lawful altar but since I wanted to get Stormbringer I first had to
create Orcrist so I left that altar aside for a while.

Minetown had a stethoscope, a magic harp (never used), a general shop
for price id and a co-aligned altar, but I still couldn't sac for
gifts. Sokoban was BoH version, and after getting the BoH I finally
got a runed broadsword from an elf. Now I could sac for stormbringer.

[part of story missing since ttyrec is corrupt; NAO had a problem and
I lost connection; the ttyrec is 16M so maybe there is a way to
recover it.]
During that time I had my monkey incident. I was using the travel
command to cross for nth-time the oracle level and was interrupted by
the monkey stealing me. Didn't even have a chance.
I think I also found a couple of magic lamps, using one for C?oGeno to
reverse geno silver dragons and get the scales. The second one I would
later use it for a magic marker, and since I had identified
?oCharging, I could genocide h and L.

Scorpius was easy since I burnt e-word on upstairs, and from his
throne I got a wish: blessed fixed +2 cloak of magic resistance.

Since I had identified both rings of teleportation and teleport
control I used them both and started eating tengus, getting lucky with
an early corpse.
The rest of the game was mostly uneventful, apart for a few dangerous
situations. Expert bow skill and teleport at will saved the situation
a few times.

As for the ascension run it also went smoothly: being chaotic meant
few misterious force events and the planes also were quick. Even the
water plane could have been worse: despite searching the portal for
quite some time (~500 turns) rodney didn't appear. I was expecting the
/oSecretDoorDetection would detect it but apparently it didn't work
for some reason.

I started the Astral plane with 300 HP -37 AC and some heavily
enchanted weaponry, so I was maybe a little overconfident. I went
first for Pestilence altar, and it was a wrong one. On the way back I
decided to melee Pestilence (my arrows were poisoned) with stormy and
tame it just for fun. However, I had to use a lot of !oFH and decided
instead to just run away for the next altar.
Death got me on my way to Famine, so I decided to try that altar
instead. Death took me from max 331HP to max 208 HP, so it was a Good
Thing that was the right altar.

Relevant (or not) parts of dumplog:

Graysocks the Archer St:25 Dx:18 Co:16 In:16 Wi:20 Ch:11
Astral Plane $:1 HP:193(216) Pw:182(182) AC:-36 Exp:22 T:130494 Blind
Burdened

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Death
Pestilence (thrice)
2 high priests
2 titans

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 18 types of monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You changed form 2 times
You used 9 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Goodbye graysocks the Demigod...
You went to your reward with 3759228 points,
and 1 piece of gold, after 130494 moves.

solidsnail

TJR

Aug 21, 2011, 12:48:16 PM8/21/11
On 21 Aug., 14:01, JoaoSantos <joao.s.san...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chaotic male elvish Ranger
> Elf for starting Sting and elven cloak
>
> Conducts 2 : polyitemless and arifact-wishless
>
> It was a flawed Zen, since a monkey stole my towel, but I had a backup
> blindfold.

Congrats. Good job!

> pretty weak and I tend to play all roles as a fighter. Like always,
> playing zen made me learn a bit more, and when I finally started to
> play as suposed I started to make progress. It is of note how much

That's what keeps me playing NetHack, too. :-)

> while I had +0 arrows I was wielding my bow and practicing it. I only

Huh, you practise bow skill by bashing monsters with it? I always
believed that was specifically excluded.

> Minetown had a stethoscope, a magic harp (never used), a general shop
> for price id and a co-aligned altar, but I still couldn't sac for

Lots of good stuff.

> Since I had identified both rings of teleportation and teleport
> control I used them both and started eating tengus, getting lucky with
> an early corpse.

Hmm, is teleportitis really that bad? In non-zen games, I find the
"important" parts are on non-teleport levels, anyway.

> quite some time (~500 turns) rodney didn't appear. I was expecting the
> /oSecretDoorDetection would detect it but apparently it didn't work
> for some reason.

It works at most in line-of-sight, and I believe only for actually
seen squares except on the Plane of Air.

> Relevant (or not) parts of dumplog:

> Burdened

Any particular reason to be burdened?

> You went to your reward with 3759228 points,
> and 1 piece of gold, after 130494 moves.

One gold piece for style?

Pat Rankin

Aug 21, 2011, 4:14:02 PM8/21/11
On Aug 21, 5:01 am, JoaoSantos <joao.s.san...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> water plane could have been worse: despite searching the portal for
> quite some time (~500 turns) rodney didn't appear. I was expecting the
> /oSecretDoorDetection would detect it but apparently it didn't work
> for some reason.

This has come up before. Wand of secret door detection and
spell of detect unseen require line of sight (but not actual sight;
being blinded wasn't a factor). You can't see through the water
there, so the wand and spell only work when you use them within the
same bubble as the magic portal.

The mythical development version has been changed so that water
and clouds on the Planes of Water and Air don't interfere with such
detection (they still block your view though), making usage anywhere
within their modest radius be viable.

JoaoSantos

Aug 21, 2011, 4:08:26 PM8/21/11
On Aug 21, 5:48 pm, TJR <tilmina...@googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]

> > while I had +0 arrows I was wielding my bow and practicing it. I only
>
> Huh, you practise bow skill by bashing monsters with it? I always
> believed that was specifically excluded.
I assume you are jesting, but just to clarify: I was practicing bow by
shooting arrows. I just kept it equipped to avoid wasting 1 turn
exchanging weapons. The occasional bashing with the bow was purely by
accident :)
[...]

> > Since I had identified both rings of teleportation and teleport
> > control I used them both and started eating tengus, getting lucky with
> > an early corpse.
>
> Hmm, is teleportitis really that bad? In non-zen games, I find the
> "important" parts are on non-teleport levels, anyway.
Oh, god. Yes, it is bad. I remember my early days of nethack when I
got teleportitis by mistake, and how tedious and dangerous it was. I
don't even want to try it out on zen (where you seriously cut the
risks, specially considering the starscum). Putting the tediousness
apart, just consider you exploring a level, seeing dangerous
monsters, trying to go to the upstairs and suddenly being teleported
somewhere where you can't go back.

> > quite some time (~500 turns) rodney didn't appear. I was expecting the
> > /oSecretDoorDetection would detect it but apparently it didn't work
> > for some reason.
>
> It works at most in line-of-sight, and I believe only for actually
> seen squares except on the Plane of Air.

Thanks for the clarification. Next time I won't bother.

> > Relevant (or not) parts of dumplog:
> > Burdened
>
> Any particular reason to be burdened?

I'm (almost) always burdened on the ascension run. A simple example
being the =TeleportControl, which I only ditch upon entering the
planes. I may be overly prepared, and sometimes even paranoid, but at
least I never splatted. In this case I had an absurd amount of bagged
arrows and rations, but there was also a lot of other stuff.

> > You went to your reward with 3759228 points,
> > and 1 piece of gold, after 130494 moves.
>
> One gold piece for style?

Just the gold coin I used to mark the vibrating square.
So yes, for style.
solidsnail

JoaoSantos

Aug 21, 2011, 4:19:14 PM8/21/11

Thank you for your detailed clarification.
solidsnail