YAAP: Minsk-Mon (18k) some conducts

Christian Bressler

Apr 9, 2001, 11:10:04 PM4/9/01
At first someone asked, how many pacifists died before
one ascended and got the deserved answer ;-)
But I think to value this ascension I should offer
this information, Halt the pacifist was my 36th try
in pacifist characters, and I think fast, stealth and
invisible is the key -> A.

This ascension took 143 tries and was damn hard, I tell you.
Look at the conducts if you are curious why.

The start was fairly normal Minsk the female human monk and
her kitten Cral descended in the dungeons of doom and met
various creatures.

Cral showed Minsk which item was good and which was cursed,
therefore Minsk marked her possessions accordingly.

As a human Minsk visited Sokoban first, which yielded a
bag of holding.

Now into the mines, at minetown Minsk found a general store
and was very puzzled by the prices, but as clever as she was
she created a system to remember the value of items.

Her very hard religious upbringing (education) resulted in an
aversion against religions at all. Thus she avoided the local
temple, in fact she don't know what priest there was.

While she descendet further she found besides other stuff a
tinning kit, a magic lamp, a magic whistle, a pickaxe and a
unicorn horn.

Since she was in polytrap territory, she was very cautious about
her steps and finally got the Luckstone, noticing she already had
another one. (old bottom)

Back in minetown she price-ided the various armor she collected
and was lucky in finding a +3 elven leather helm and +1 high boots.
One clear Potion she found priced 100 zorkminds, but Cral avoided
to step on it, thus Minsk marked it cursed.

At level 8 in the regular dungeons Minsk found a +0 shield
of reflection just near the up-stairs.
The stairs to sokoban were on level 7 thus Minsk thougth
of Murphy because she almost always uses the downstairs if detected.

Level 8 also contained an other general store. (That was the last
store in the dungeons.)

Since she missed magic resistance she walked very cautious in
polytrap territory. Her strategie was avoid rooms dig your way
through walls, if the stair isn't connected to a wall search
at least 10 times before each step.

She climbed slowly down and reached Dlevel 14 where she received some
strange call, at Exp-Level 12 she decided to go on descending.

At DLvl 15 the RNG showed her sense of humor, Minsk found the
bones of Murphy, another failed (conduct) Monk.
The pile was mostly useless, besides some potions and rings.

Every time Minsk had stoked an amount of items she returned to
level 8 and priced them.
One of the amulets she found was ESP.
At one time she had another clear potion worth 100 zorkminds
not merging with the cursed one -> 8 potions of holy water
(turn 18542).

At DLvl 20 a Zoo with a gray dragon, and low and behold the
first gave Minsk scales.
Somewhere near this time, her pets died.
From now on she was on her own, besides the guardian Angel.

In fact, she didn't wear the scales unless needed.

With her "ESP and a blindfold she was able to check every
now and then if the scales are needed.
Climbing stairs was complicated, were scales, blindfold,
go down, go up, remove scales, unblind and go down unless
a lich or golden naga was around.

At DLvl 27 she reached medusas isle and with her =oLev she
crossed the water.
At the feet of a statue of medusa, she found some boots of
levitation, thus she ditched some other boots priced
30 zorkminds.

Dlvl 29 held the Castle and Minsk had a hard time in carrying(sp?)
all the armor and stuff to DLvl 8, to no real avail.
Ok, she gained a oilskin cloak, her +1 boots of jumping,
a +1 helm of brilliance but no shirt and no helm of telepathy.
And she learned about full healing and gain level.

At this time she had her absolute minimum AC of -5 (impressive,
isn't it?).

Also at this time she realised it wasn't very clever burning food
by wearing a ring of invisibility and holding three wands of make
invisible -> zap.

After stoking some food at the castle she went to the Valley of the
dead, because Master Kaen is a tough opponent.

She tried to fly down the hole but ended up falling down and met her
first (and not at all last) master lich.
Soon surrounded by various nasties, Minsk tried to reach the stairs
but got trapped in the lower right dead end.
Thus she was able to take on the monsters one by one, in fact she
was able to miss the monsters one by one.
The master lich summoned her end, by creating a black dragon,
which soon reduced the opponents significantly.

The VoD was not that helpful in the end, only some potions and nothing
new.

Minsk entered Gehennom lured everything nasty to the stairs and made
her master in climbing stairs. A Minotaur did something like 80 HP
per round (Minsk had 252 HP), but they're not immune to sleep.

While descending further she met a captain who comitted suicide
by reflecting a death ray at Minsk's shield.

Now Minsk felt ready for Master Kean, immediatly slaping her forehead
because she realized he is magic resistant by the Eyes.

By combat and potions she had reached ExpLvl 17, thus she took a level
teleport trap to DLvl 14.

The Quest was hard, taking on earth elementals and xorns at such low
AC is no fun.
Eventually Minsk reached Master Kean's Lair and did her stair routine
on some xorns and suddenly she climbed up accompanied by Master Kean.
He struck very hard, but Minsk was able to use her unicorn horn
and zap a wand of sleep at him at the very last moment (12HP left).
She repeated to hit him with her fist and some sleep ray, until
she gained shiny new eyes and a bell.

Now she entered Gehennom again and enjoyed her new seight.

She met Vlad and some major demons which she mostly paid off.

At Orcus the shades were a major problem, but as she removed her
gloves and put on her silver ring of protection from shape
changers, her atacks didn't pass harmless anymore.

Orcus summuned Yeenoghu and some other nasties, which were
dispatched as a cockatrice showed up the next level.

At DLvl 37 and 51 two major battles took place, one involved
five arch-lich's and two master lich's and the other four
arch and three master lich's at once.
I think in general there were more.
Minsk used there stairs to heal up a level above climb down
and hit hard, but the horde growed.
Thus Minsk changed (after a ~10k moves battle) opinion and
looked for some cockatrice, creating a nice amount of statues.

One scary moment was as a owlbear held Minsk without her noticing
when she tried to escape upstairs, but with a well aimed
teleport he was zapped away.

At something like turn 70k Minsk got lucky in finding the ring of
slow digestion and the can of grease.

After locating the VS, she thought about her chances and was sure
she is by far off limits yet and facing the wizard is sure suicdie.

She rummaged through her backpack and checked some special places.
At the portal to the wiz tower level there are two level teleporter,
fine.
She had two wands of death, something like twenty tele and dig,
4 cancellation and various other, some full and extra healing,
~40 holy water and an AC of 1.
Urgh 1, Minsk avoided disenchanters, rust monsters, mind flayers
but some traps had hit.
By replacing her robe with a cloak of protection and wearing
a +1 ring of protection she ended at -2, not good but the
best possible at the moment.

So she crossed her fingers and visited the wizard, his first comment
was "Destroy the thief, my pets..." Minsk found herself surrounded
by two jabberwocks, a mmf and something else.
She zapped the mmf away, needed two death-beams for Rodney, grabbed
the book and jumped away.
btw, jumping is by far the fastest movement, somewhat annoying
but ...

She jumped down the tower, used the portal and jumped into the
level teleport trap, not without stashing her Eyes first.
By using a ring of teleportation she teleported to the VS,
used three holy water on the artifacts (two times neccessary)
and performed the ritual, only to be greetet by two liches
(master+arch).
Minsk fought these with her usual stair routine but was quickly
surrounded by demons at the downstairs.

Therefore she teleported to the upstairs and searched for yet
another cockatrice corpse.
With it she cleaned the place (up and down) while stoning
some vampires of the graveyard the corpse rotted away.
So Minsk fought the remaining creatures with her fist.

A major problem was presented by the various priests, but
eventually they fell.

Minsk looked with a /oSD around and jumped into the sanctum
here another wand of death charge was used.

Minsk grabbed the Amulet named it echt(real) (in her own signs)
and tried to escape.
She jumped down corridors a lot was sometimes teleported back
zapped obstacles away and tried hard to avoid combat at all.

Minsk was very lucky since Rodney showed up seldome and didn't
steal her Eyes once.

Eventually she stood at the stairs to the elemental planes,
while preparing for the last race, Minsk was forced to
climb early, because the RNG decided to surround her
with three mmf while standing on the upstairs on Dlevel 1.

Rodney phrased his usual tune and was zaped immidiately, the
minotaur fell asleep and the elvenking tasted some fist.
A blink into a crystall ball revealed the portal and Minsk
hurried.

She arrived levitating at the plane of air and had replaced
her "oESP by "oLS, since the air elementals are far away she
decided to use the ball.
She found the portal, but was also engulfed and pummeled by an
air elemental.

Being desperate she travelled inside this air elemental to
the portal. She managed to drive her transporter three steps
from the portal.
Here she died the first time and was free, but only to be
engulfed at once. She put on an other "oLS and zapped the
elemental from inside, moved towards the portal only to
meet another interior of an elemental.
Ok, zap. Umm, nothing happend.
Only one charged wand of death remaining she decided to
save this one for Astrals.
While trying to leave the elemental by slow monster, some
other elementals arrived and Minsk was able to leave
and zap away two more elementals.
Only one step away from the portal she was engulfed and killed
by (guess, yes) an air elemental.
But now she was able to step on the portal.

The ball was empty, thus Minsk decided to wear the AoY, until
it felt warm, now she replaced it by a "oLS and searched for
the portal with her /oSD.

Now she replaced her cloak of protection by oilskin, and arrived
at the plane of water, here she did the real deal, she headed
some steps east and zapped the /oSD and detected the portal in
record time.

At Astrals she removed her =oLev and replaced oilskin again with
protection.

Now a master lich turned up and summoned immediately some friends
and other fine creatures.
Minsk tried to reach a corridor and was able to clear her right hand
side, only to make room for the lich for yet more nasties, including
a purple worm, by tasting Minsk the worm moved her in the middle
of the crowd, in such unfamiliar surroundings it struck her.

She removed the ring of slow digestion let the worn swallow her
and travelled somewhat save.
She was again very lucky, since she ended up right outside a
temple, but her Hitpoints were somewhat low.
She tried to reach the door, zapped away some angels and priests,
but a dragon did her in the third time. Now she was able to jump
through the door and was in the exaclty right room.

Thus:

Minsk the Student of Fire St:25 Dx:18 Co:15 In:17 Wi:18 Ch:18 Neutral
Astral Plane $:0 HP:421(455) Pw:155(180) AC:-2 Xp:29/90142173 T:92197 Satiated

The voice of Chih Sung-tzu booms: "Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigodess...

DYWYPI...
Amulets
o - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
Y - an uncursed amulet of ESP named !c
Weapons
t - 10 +0 darts (in quiver)
Armor
C - an uncursed +0 cloak of protection (being worn)
D - an uncursed burnt +1 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
E - an uncursed thoroughly rusty very corroded +0 pair of gauntlets of power named !c (being worn)
F - a blessed +2 shield of reflection (being worn)
G - an uncursed +3 elven leather helm (being worn)
Comestibles
K - a cursed eucalyptus leaf named bones
M - a cursed sprig of wolfsbane
Rings
k - a cursed +1 ring of protection named !c
n - a cursed ring of teleportation
z - a cursed +1 ring of gain constitution named !c
I - an uncursed ring of slow digestion
L - an uncursed ring of levitation named !c
U - an uncursed ring of teleportation named !c
V - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
X - a cursed ring of protection from shape changers named !c
Wands (leer==empty)
a - a wand of teleportation (0:2)
b - a wand of teleportation named leer (0:0)
c - a wand of digging (0:4)
g - a cursed wand of teleportation named leer (0:0)
h - a wand of teleportation (0:3)
i - a cursed wand of magic missile named leer (0:0)
j - a wand of cancellation (0:5)
l - a cursed wand of slow monster (0:6)
m - a wand of sleep (0:0)
p - a wand of magic missile (0:2)
r - a wand of death named leer (0:0)
u - a wand of digging (0:2)
v - a wand of sleep (0:1)
y - a wand of magic missile (0:1)
A - a wand of lightning (0:5)
H - a wand of lightning (0:5)
J - a wand of secret door detection (0:6)
O - a cursed wand of slow monster (0:0)
P - a cursed wand of striking (0:0)
Q - a cursed wand of digging named leer (0:0)
S - a cursed wand of slow monster (0:3)
W - a cursed wand of striking (0:0)
Tools
d - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
e - a cursed magic flute (0:4)
f - an uncursed blindfold
q - a blessed bag of holding
s - a cursed skeleton key
w - an uncursed stethoscope
x - a cursed magic whistle
B - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
R - a cursed sack
T - an uncursed towel
Gems
Z - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:

an uncursed +0 oilskin cloak named !c
an uncursed +0 pair of water walking boots
an uncursed thoroughly burnt rotted +1 robe
an uncursed +1 pair of high boots
a cursed +3 helmet
an uncursed burnt +1 pair of elven boots
an uncursed +0 cloak of invisibility named !c
an uncursed +0 cloak of protection named !c
an uncursed thoroughly burnt +1 pair of leather gloves
an uncursed +0 set of gray dragon scales
an uncursed +1 helm of brilliance
an uncursed +0 pair of levitation boots named !c
3 potions of unholy water named cursed
an uncursed potion of water
5 potions of holy water
an uncursed potion of enlightenment (not IDed since price 200)
a crystal ball (0:0)
an uncursed partly eaten cram ration
an uncursed partly eaten food ration
a +0 pick-axe
a can of grease (0:18)
a tinning kit (0:45)
an uncursed magic lamp
an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
a cursed ring of invisibility named !c
a cursed ring of levitation
a cursed ring of regeneration named !c
a blessed +1 ring of gain strength named !c
a wand of opening (0:6)
a cursed wand of fire named cursed (0:2)
a wand of fire (0:6)
a wand of sleep (0:4)
a wand of sleep (0:3)
a wand of make invisible (0:3)
a potion of unholy water named cursed
a wand of teleportation (0:3)
an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
a blessed wand of polymorph (0:7)
a wand of secret door detection (0:11)
a wand of opening (0:6)
a wand of wishing (0:1)
a wand of sleep (0:5)
7 wand of teleportation Sum(0:21)
3 blessed luckstones
The sack is empty.

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were warned.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You could jump.
You had teleport control.
You were protected.
You were fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.
Your life would have been saved.
You were very lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived after being killed thrice.

Vanquished creatures:

Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
25 arch-liches
a high priest
Master Kaen
5 mastodons
Medusa
17 master liches
32 purple worms
35 minotaurs
17 jabberwocks
22 baluchitheria
2 Angels
6 demiliches
Vlad the Impaler
6 stone golems
8 master mind flayers
21 Olog-hai
8 Nazguls
22 disenchanters
15 liches
an Aleax
3 mind flayers
70 xorns
12 green slimes
45 cockatrices
21 rust monsters
a kobold

3238 creatures vanquished.

Voluntary challenges:

You followed a strict vegan diet.
You were an atheist.
You never hit with a wielded weapon.
You were illiterate.
You never genocided any monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You never changed form.
You used no wishes.

Goodbye Minsk the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 6470136 points,
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
4 amethyst stones (worth 2400 zorkmids),
4 worthless pieces of colored glass,
3 topaz stones (worth 2700 zorkmids),
3 jet stones (worth 2550 zorkmids),
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of unchanging (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 92197 moves.
You were level 29 with a maximum of 455 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 6470136 Minsk-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood. 421 [455]
2 6193776 Poldi-Val-Dwa-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood. 393 [393]
3 3784584 Ing-Val-Dwa-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood. 400 [400]

Marvin

Peter Backgren

Apr 10, 2001, 7:10:24 AM4/10/01

In article <9attic$912$1...@news.cs.tu-berlin.de>, gas...@cs.tu-berlin.de
says...

> At first someone asked, how many pacifists died before
> one ascended and got the deserved answer ;-)
> But I think to value this ascension I should offer
> this information, Halt the pacifist was my 36th try
> in pacifist characters, and I think fast, stealth and
> invisible is the key -> A.
>
> This ascension took 143 tries and was damn hard, I tell you.
> Look at the conducts if you are curious why.

Somehow I managed to read this as an illiterate atheist pacifist and I
was under that impression until the Quest or so. When the pet died I
must say I got damn curious how you managed. I was betting on charming
monsters.
But illiterate atheist and vegan makes for some interesting missing
intrisics. Nice.

> Since she missed magic resistance she walked very cautious in
> polytrap territory. Her strategie was avoid rooms dig your way
> through walls, if the stair isn't connected to a wall search
> at least 10 times before each step.

Oooh... teeeedious. I tend to switch to my bad armor or avoid going
deeper when I haven't got magic resistance, poly control (or searching)
early enough. But with your AC switching to worse armor wouldn't have
been to clever, right.

> At DLvl 20 a Zoo with a gray dragon, and low and behold the
> first gave Minsk scales.
> Somewhere near this time, her pets died.
> From now on she was on her own, besides the guardian Angel.
>
> In fact, she didn't wear the scales unless needed.
>
> With her "ESP and a blindfold she was able to check every
> now and then if the scales are needed.
> Climbing stairs was complicated, were scales, blindfold,
> go down, go up, remove scales, unblind and go down unless
> a lich or golden naga was around.

Ok, so you did it by switching... oooooh, teeeeedious :-)

> At this time she had her absolute minimum AC of -5 (impressive,
> isn't it?).

Very. You are making my hands twitch about going naked (all the way)
some day. Although I would probably cheat by at least buying protection.

> You survived after being killed thrice.

Reasonable considering an AC of -2 in the end.

> You followed a strict vegan diet.
> You were an atheist.
> You never hit with a wielded weapon.
> You were illiterate.
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

Missed wishless at first but that explains the bad AC after the castle.
Oh boy.
Polypiling might produce some decent armor but it's still a nice conduct
addition considering the rest of them. I would probably place a can of
grease very high on my list of must-wanted. I think I remember a sigh of
relief somewhat earlier in your post.

Congratulations (you nut!)!

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove absolutelynospam to mail directly.

Jason Short

Apr 10, 2001, 12:36:32 PM4/10/01
Christian Bressler wrote:

<snip most of wishless, illiterate, atheist, unarmed, vegan,
genocideless, polypileless, polyselfless monk ascension post>

> At first someone asked, how many pacifists died before
> one ascended and got the deserved answer ;-)

Touche. Never ask a magician...

> This ascension took 143 tries and was damn hard, I tell you.
> Look at the conducts if you are curious why.

Curious, indeed. And to think, we were all impressed by the pacifist
ascension!

> Her very hard religious upbringing (education) resulted in an
> aversion against religions at all. Thus she avoided the local
> temple, in fact she don't know what priest there was.

Nice. But with such an education, how was it she never learned to
read? What were those monks thinking?

Or could it have been that they made her read *too much*, and she vowed
never to do it again?

> Voluntary challenges:
>
> You followed a strict vegan diet.
> You were an atheist.
> You never hit with a wielded weapon.
> You were illiterate.
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

As a wise man once said: "Marvin, you are a true master of NetHack."

I'm trying to think of all the ways in which this would be difficult,
and the list just keeps going on and on...

One thing I'm curious about that you didn't mention (I think) is your
food supply. An atheist vegan must have severe problems to begin with,
and then you say you searched for 10 moves before each step in
unexplored territory (to avoid polymorph traps). Crazy...

What will you do next? How can this be topped? After the pacifist
ascension, we were all suitably impressed. After this one, though, you
lead us to *expect* you to do something even crazier next. Can you take
the pressure? :-)

jason short

Michael Anthony Bayazes

Apr 10, 2001, 3:19:27 PM4/10/01
Christian Bressler <gas...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Voluntary challenges:

> You followed a strict vegan diet.
> You were an atheist.
> You never hit with a wielded weapon.
> You were illiterate.
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

You see here a TV dinner. Eat it (y/n)? y
You begin eating --more--
You see here a scroll of news named YAAP: Minsk-Mon... Read (y/n)? y

<"Conduct" ascension>

You choke on your food. --more--
You die. --more--
Do you want your possessions identified (y/n)? n

*smiles* That's really awesome. Congratulations ... and wow.

This might be a silly question, but wasn't there a danger of thrown
potions of polymorph violating polyselfless conduct, if you didn't always
have the Grey Dragon Scales on? Or is there some way other than Magic
Resistance to take care of that?

... congratualtions again.

Anthony, killed by a system shock.

--
(Michael) Anthony Bayazes
Georgia Tech, Email: gte...@prism.gatech.edu

David Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2001, 2:15:10 AM4/11/01
In article <MPG.153d168e3...@news.lmf.ericsson.se>,

Peter Backgren <peter.b...@nospam.ericsson.fi> wrote:
>But illiterate atheist and vegan makes for some interesting missing
>intrisics. Nice.

Monks get every intrinsic, eventually. Going without shock resistance
until level 15 (or whatever it is) could make life difficult to be sure.

--
David Goldfarb <*>|"Come on, characters with super-strength don't
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | *do* inertia! Or leverage."

Raisse the Thaumaturge

Apr 11, 2001, 3:32:54 AM4/11/01
David Goldfarb <gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Monks get every intrinsic, eventually.

Except telepathy and (I think) disintegration resistance.

Raisse, killed by a black dragon

--
@ a human or elf (peaceful thaumaturge called Raisse)
------------------< Recently ascended: H >-----------------

David Goldfarb

Apr 11, 2001, 3:37:15 AM4/11/01
In article <9b11b6$pg7$1...@news1.xs4all.nl>,

Raisse the Thaumaturge <rai...@valdyas.org> wrote:
>David Goldfarb <gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> Monks get every intrinsic, eventually.
>
>Except telepathy and (I think) disintegration resistance.

Yes, true. I was really thinking of "every resistance" but even
there disintegration will be lacking. Not that disintegration resistance
is that important as long as you make sure to always have reflection.

--
David Goldfarb <*>|
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | "Boom. Sooner or later. Boom!"

Kate Nepveu

Apr 12, 2001, 12:34:56 AM4/12/01
Christian Bressler <gas...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> At first someone asked, how many pacifists died before
> one ascended and got the deserved answer ;-)
> But I think to value this ascension I should offer
> this information, Halt the pacifist was my 36th try
> in pacifist characters, and I think fast, stealth and
> invisible is the key -> A.

> This ascension took 143 tries and was damn hard, I tell you.
> Look at the conducts if you are curious why.

[moved to top]

> You followed a strict vegan diet.
> You were an atheist.
> You never hit with a wielded weapon.
> You were illiterate.
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

Err, um, gosh, wow. That's really impressive.

*thinks*

I guess you really couldn't do that without a monk, huh?

[...]

> At level 8 in the regular dungeons Minsk found a +0 shield
> of reflection just near the up-stairs.

Ah, since you weren't spellcasting you could do this and free up the
amulet slot if you wanted...

[...]

> Dlvl 29 held the Castle and Minsk had a hard time in carrying(sp?)

"Carrying" is correct, yes.

> all the armor and stuff to DLvl 8, to no real avail.
> Ok, she gained a oilskin cloak, her +1 boots of jumping,
> a +1 helm of brilliance but no shirt and no helm of telepathy.
> And she learned about full healing and gain level.

> At this time she had her absolute minimum AC of -5 (impressive,
> isn't it?).

Yes! =>

[...]

> The Quest was hard, taking on earth elementals and xorns at such low
> AC is no fun.

No, and since they can swarm you through the walls...

> Eventually Minsk reached Master Kean's Lair and did her stair routine
> on some xorns and suddenly she climbed up accompanied by Master Kean.
> He struck very hard, but Minsk was able to use her unicorn horn
> and zap a wand of sleep at him at the very last moment (12HP left).
> She repeated to hit him with her fist and some sleep ray, until
> she gained shiny new eyes and a bell.

I'll have to remember the stair routine, it's a good idea.

Maybe it's time to update the Monk FAQ...

[...]

> At DLvl 37 and 51 two major battles took place, one involved
> five arch-lich's and two master lich's and the other four
> arch and three master lich's at once.
> I think in general there were more.
> Minsk used there stairs to heal up a level above climb down
> and hit hard, but the horde growed.
> Thus Minsk changed (after a ~10k moves battle) opinion and
> looked for some cockatrice, creating a nice amount of statues.

Much more patient than I would have been.

[...]

> At something like turn 70k Minsk got lucky in finding the ring of
> slow digestion and the can of grease.

That must have helped a lot.

[...]

> So she crossed her fingers and visited the wizard, his first comment
> was "Destroy the thief, my pets..." Minsk found herself surrounded
> by two jabberwocks, a mmf and something else.
> She zapped the mmf away, needed two death-beams for Rodney, grabbed
> the book and jumped away.
> btw, jumping is by far the fastest movement, somewhat annoying
> but ...

Is it? I didn't know that. I always forget to use it if I have it.

[Astral Plane]

> Minsk tried to reach a corridor and was able to clear her right hand
> side, only to make room for the lich for yet more nasties, including
> a purple worm, by tasting Minsk the worm moved her in the middle
> of the crowd, in such unfamiliar surroundings it struck her.

> She removed the ring of slow digestion let the worn swallow her
> and travelled somewhat save.

Neat! I'll have to remember that--I'm just never sure how long it's
safe to stay inside...

> She was again very lucky, since she ended up right outside a
> temple, but her Hitpoints were somewhat low.
> She tried to reach the door, zapped away some angels and priests,
> but a dragon did her in the third time. Now she was able to jump
> through the door and was in the exaclty right room.

> Thus:

> Minsk the Student of Fire St:25 Dx:18 Co:15 In:17 Wi:18 Ch:18 Neutral
> Astral Plane $:0 HP:421(455) Pw:155(180) AC:-2 Xp:29/90142173 T:92197 Satiated

Very good hit points but necessary with that AC...

[...]

> Vanquished creatures:

> Orcus
> Yeenoghu
> Juiblex
> The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
> 25 arch-liches

Owww! I've done genocideless twice and each time I only saw _7_
arch-liches...

Congratulations again!

Kate
--
http://www.steelypips.org/ -- NetHack Spoilers; Paired Readings; Reviews
"I wouldn't be satisfied with a life lived solely on the barricades. I

Christian Bressler

Apr 15, 2001, 9:28:47 PM4/15/01
On 10 Apr 2001 19:19:27 , Michael Anthony Bayazes wrote:
> Christian Bressler <gas...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Voluntary challenges:
> You see here a TV dinner. Eat it (y/n)? y
> You begin eating --more--
> You see here a scroll of news named YAAP: Minsk-Mon... Read (y/n)? y
> <"Conduct" ascension>
> You choke on your food. --more--
> You die. --more--
> Do you want your possessions identified (y/n)? n

May I suggest to wear a amulet of magical thinking next time?
;-)

> *smiles* That's really awesome. Congratulations ... and wow.

Thanks.

> This might be a silly question, but wasn't there a danger of thrown
> potions of polymorph violating polyselfless conduct, if you didn't always
> have the Grey Dragon Scales on? Or is there some way other than Magic
> Resistance to take care of that?

Yes, the source takes care of that, mons use !oPoly only if they are
weak by quaffing.

> .... congratualtions again.

> Anthony, killed by a system shock.

Marvin

Christian Bressler

Apr 15, 2001, 9:28:51 PM4/15/01
On 12 Apr 2001 00:34:56 , Kate Nepveu wrote:
> Christian Bressler <gas...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > You followed a strict vegan diet.

> Err, um, gosh, wow. That's really impressive.

Thank you.

> *thinks*
> I guess you really couldn't do that without a monk, huh?

I think so, yes.

> [...]
> > At DLvl 37 and 51 two major battles took place, one involved
> > five arch-lich's and two master lich's and the other four
> > arch and three master lich's at once.
> > I think in general there were more.
> > Minsk used there stairs to heal up a level above climb down
> > and hit hard, but the horde growed.
> > Thus Minsk changed (after a ~10k moves battle) opinion and
> > looked for some cockatrice, creating a nice amount of statues.
> Much more patient than I would have been.

The first few encounters were solved easier and Minsk lacked some
anti-stoning-device, thus she avoided c's whereever possible.
And throw away valuable charges wasn't her way.

> [...]
> > At something like turn 70k Minsk got lucky in finding the ring of
> > slow digestion and the can of grease.
> That must have helped a lot.

Yes, but a helm of telepathy would have beem better.

> [...]
> > So she crossed her fingers and visited the wizard, his first comment
> > was "Destroy the thief, my pets..." Minsk found herself surrounded
> > by two jabberwocks, a mmf and something else.
> > She zapped the mmf away, needed two death-beams for Rodney, grabbed
> > the book and jumped away.
> > btw, jumping is by far the fastest movement, somewhat annoying
> > but ...
> Is it? I didn't know that. I always forget to use it if I have it.

Besides the bugfix, the eyes help a lot.

> [Astral Plane]
> > Minsk tried to reach a corridor and was able to clear her right hand
> > side, only to make room for the lich for yet more nasties, including
> > a purple worm, by tasting Minsk the worm moved her in the middle
> > of the crowd, in such unfamiliar surroundings it struck her.
> > She removed the ring of slow digestion let the worn swallow her
> > and travelled somewhat save.
> Neat! I'll have to remember that--I'm just never sure how long it's
> safe to stay inside...

Not very long, you are digested soon.

> [...]
> > ... HP:421(455) ...

> Very good hit points but necessary with that AC...

True, I wished Minsk had more of them.

> [...]
> > Vanquished creatures:
>
> > Orcus
> > Yeenoghu
> > Juiblex
> > The Wizard of Yendor (4 times)
> > 25 arch-liches
> Owww! I've done genocideless twice and each time I only saw _7_
> arch-liches...

:-) Minsk saw seven at the same time, I think.
I've a screenshot with five arch-lich and a master lich on it.

> Congratulations again!
> Kate
Thanks
Marvin

Christian Bressler

Apr 15, 2001, 9:17:57 PM4/15/01
On 10 Apr 2001 16:36:32 , Jason Short wrote:

> Christian Bressler wrote:
> > Her very hard religious upbringing (education) resulted in an
> > aversion against religions at all. Thus she avoided the local
> > temple, in fact she don't know what priest there was.
> Nice. But with such an education, how was it she never learned to
> read? What were those monks thinking?
> Or could it have been that they made her read *too much*, and she vowed
> never to do it again?

No, if they teached her to read she wouldn't be atheistic, since
she were able to check the sources on her own.

> > Voluntary challenges:

> As a wise man once said: "Marvin, you are a true master of NetHack."

Wise man can fail too.

> I'm trying to think of all the ways in which this would be difficult,
> and the list just keeps going on and on...

That very long list is why I at first thought this task is impossible.

> One thing I'm curious about that you didn't mention (I think) is your
> food supply. An atheist vegan must have severe problems to begin with,
> and then you say you searched for 10 moves before each step in
> unexplored territory (to avoid polymorph traps). Crazy...

Not to forget the digging. At first, Minsk reduced her needs by
not wearing accessoires unless needed, no casting at all.
Then she ate some fungii, jellie and molds and saved all vegan food
she collected, (almost) never run around burdend and avoided to be
hungry, weak and satiated.

> What will you do next? How can this be topped? After the pacifist
> ascension, we were all suitably impressed. After this one, though, you
> lead us to *expect* you to do something even crazier next. Can you take
> the pressure? :-)

Easy, but it's harder to find something crazier.

Maybe the suggested pacifist extinctionist, or a ascension in lower
than 10k turns, or five ascensions in a row, or ...

> jason short
Marvin

Christian Bressler

Apr 15, 2001, 9:17:54 PM4/15/01
On 10 Apr 2001 13:10:24 , Peter Backgren wrote:
> Polypiling might produce some decent armor but it's still a nice conduct
> addition considering the rest of them. I would probably place a can of
> grease very high on my list of must-wanted. I think I remember a sigh of
> relief somewhat earlier in your post.

Yes, another item I hoped for was a helm of telepathy, but ...

> Congratulations (you nut!)!

Thanks.

> Eskimo
Marvin