128x128 32bpp tiles are here!

John Shaw

Dec 20, 2002, 9:50:11 PM12/20/02
http://www.aesthetictech.8m.com/Absurd.htm

One catch... They're only 96x96 for now... Not enough room on the
server. I figured that having both the 96x and the 72x would be better
than just the 128x. Either way, the tiles are done and available for
download. Can't wait to hear feedback!

okb

Dec 21, 2002, 3:54:23 AM12/21/02
hexusd...@hotmail.com (John Shaw) wrote in message news:<de9d3c96.0212...@posting.google.com>...

I get the complaint that NH cannot load the tile set. :-(

[ok]

Abo

Dec 21, 2002, 4:37:38 AM12/21/02

"John Shaw" <hexusd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

(I tried posting this from another news server, but it isn't showing, so
apologies if this pops up twice at some point...)

You're tame monster tiles aren't working properly. They appear as blown up
versions of the original windows tileset.

Abo

John Shaw

Dec 21, 2002, 10:55:14 AM12/21/02
Tiles not loading? Not sure what's causing that... If you can load the
bitmap and look at it, then it should work. Maybe it's a memory issue?
How much do you have? It's a pretty huge image. As for the Tame
creatures, yeah, It's a known issue. But not with the tiles
themselves. Nethack highlights the tile and puts the little heart over
it on its own. There is no tile to actually signify that, so nethack
highlights with it's default 16x16 rez, which screws up the
kitten/doggie/horsey tile. As I have no idea how to fix this (Not a
coder) I have just been turning the tame higlight off:

Find and remove this line from the default.nh:

hilite_pet

(If someone knows a quick way to do this correctly, we would all love
you for it...)

Sorry for the multiple posts...

Moose

Dec 21, 2002, 7:38:06 PM12/21/02
John Shaw wrote...

I have to say that those tiles are quite fantastic. I did a quick and ugly
hack to give me a secondary window showing the tiles, while I can still play
in my usual text mode. Here's a screen shot (110k):

http://wuffles.net/nhtiles.gif

I also fixed the hilite pet problem (although presently it's hard coded for
96x96 tiles). What happens is that there is a bmp with the heart that is
transparently overlaid on the tile. By default there's just a 16x16 one
compiled into the code. It probably wouldn't be too much work to make a
range of sizes available and get the code to select an appropriate one.

Sebastian Brocks

Dec 21, 2002, 7:54:13 PM12/21/02
goo...@wuffles.net (Moose) wrote:

> I did a quick and ugly
> hack to give me a secondary window showing the tiles, while I can still
> play in my usual text mode. Here's a screen shot (110k):

Could you make this hack available somewhere?
--
"Ein Vorschlag zur Fortsetzung einer Diskussion in da0 ist also der ironische
Hinweis des Posters darauf, dass er der Diskussion außer der durch die dadurch

okb

Dec 21, 2002, 7:59:50 PM12/21/02
hexusd...@hotmail.com (John Shaw) wrote in message news:<de9d3c96.02122...@posting.google.com>...

> Tiles not loading? Not sure what's causing that... If you can load the
> bitmap and look at it, then it should work. Maybe it's a memory issue?
> How much do you have? It's a pretty huge image.

Lotsa of RAM. It loads fine elsewhere--the 96x96 size takes half-a-mo. :-)

I found the problem. It's a version mismatch over here.

[ok]

Dylan O'Donnell

Dec 21, 2002, 8:39:25 PM12/21/02
hexusd...@hotmail.com (John Shaw) writes:
> Tame creatures, yeah, It's a known issue. But not with the tiles
> themselves. Nethack highlights the tile and puts the little heart
> over it on its own. There is no tile to actually signify that, so
> nethack highlights with it's default 16x16 rez, which screws up the
> kitten/doggie/horsey tile. As I have no idea how to fix this (Not a
> coder) I have just been turning the tame higlight off:

This looks to be related to (or an instance of? I'm not too
knowledgable about tile editing) known bug W340-1, so may have been
fixed for the next version.

: "Now is not this ridiculous, and is not this preposterous? :
: A thorough-paced absurdity -- explain it if you can." :
: -- W.S. Gilbert, "Patience" :

Moose

Dec 21, 2002, 9:41:02 PM12/21/02
Here's a replacement nethackw.exe which gives you another window with a
tile map in it. MS windows only of course. :p

http://wuffles.net/nethackw.zip

Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm doing. Don't blame me if something
bad happens and you lose a character. It should work fine. The only slight
worry I have is with the rogue level, because your map goes a little funny
there.

Note: This is compiled from the standard source without fiddling any
options. Only the display code has been messed with. I will gratefully
receive any suggestions of options that should be on or off. And also if
people can point me in the direction of any patches (I was mainly thinking
bug fixes) that are already out there, I could put those in too.

I have made a change to the hilite_pet implementation so it works with the
96x96 tiles. It might go a little funny if you aren't using those tiles. I
could test it but I'm too lazy. :p

Rob Ellwood

Dec 21, 2002, 10:44:03 PM12/21/02
Moose wrote:

> ...a replacement nethackw.exe which gives you another
> window with a tile map in it....

> I will gratefully receive any suggestions of options that should
> be on or off.

You've set the options to preserve file compatibility,
right? (In more detail: see if a saved-game file can be loaded
OK by the official binary. If it's immediately rejected, use
ALT-V to check which options are set in the official binary. Change
your options to match, then re-test.)

> ...if people can point me in the direction of any patches (I was

> mainly thinking bug fixes) that are already out there, I could
> put those in too.

Ali's database of Nethack patches is at:
http://avrc.city.ac.uk/nethack/patches.html

Bugs + fixes of note:

Boulder + landmine crash (Darshan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Xns91DAC4567E47darshansaztecsoftnet%40130.133.1.4

Long status line in Win version crash (Michael Allison)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=QxMs8.12985$AX.2325613%40news20.bellglobal.com

Stairs replaced by trap (Sam Dennis)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=slrnao4846.t5o.sam%40localhost.loopback

I don't recall a fix for the "too many text windows open
at the same time" crash, AKA W340-14.

--
Rob Ellwood
"New Toys": new & fixed levels for Nethack

Moose

Dec 22, 2002, 12:40:06 AM12/22/02
Ok, I've added in those patches (thanks Rob!):

- Boulder + land mine
- Long status line
- Stairs and trap
- W340-14 (I just changed a #define)

It seems to work fine with saved games from the official version. Like I
said before, I didn't mess with anything but the display code.

Get it at the same place (and same name!):

http://wuffles.net/nethackw.zip

Peter Snelling

Dec 24, 2002, 10:04:05 AM12/24/02
Moose wrote:

> I have to say that those tiles are quite fantastic. I did a quick and ugly
> hack to give me a secondary window showing the tiles, while I can still play
> in my usual text mode. Here's a screen shot (110k):
>
> http://wuffles.net/nhtiles.gif

I've always thought this is the way nethack should go.
Have the standard screen on one side, and another
window 3 columns*whatever rows showing graphics.
That would make it easier to introduce players to nethack,
and let them gradually figure out what all the letters
stand for. When you play in a straight tiles mode,
you'll never learn what letter you want to genocide.

Looks great!

-- Peter

VertexNormal

Dec 24, 2002, 4:12:49 PM12/24/02
hexusd...@hotmail.com (John Shaw) wrote in message news:<de9d3c96.0212...@posting.google.com>...

I dig the little BSD mascot for the imp. Cute little guy, ain't he?

VertexNormal

John Shaw

Dec 24, 2002, 7:49:50 PM12/24/02
> I dig the little BSD mascot for the imp. Cute little guy, ain't he?
>VertexNormal

The question is... How could I resist? ;-)

Trebor A. Rude

Dec 24, 2002, 10:47:41 PM12/24/02
Peter Snelling wrote:

How about doing the reverse, then? Have the main window tiled, with the
smaller area windows with the characters in it? :)

--
Trebor A. Rude
trebo...@SPAMBGON.attbi.com

John Shaw

Dec 25, 2002, 3:58:19 AM12/25/02
> > I've always thought this is the way nethack should go.
> > Have the standard screen on one side, and another
> > window 3 columns*whatever rows showing graphics.
> > That would make it easier to introduce players to nethack,
> > and let them gradually figure out what all the letters
> > stand for. When you play in a straight tiles mode,
> > you'll never learn what letter you want to genocide.
> >
> > Looks great!
> >
> > -- Peter
>
> How about doing the reverse, then? Have the main window tiled, with the
> smaller area windows with the characters in it? :)

It's already in the works... The extra window will have the same map
functins dropdown box that the main one has. You'll be able to set
them any way you want... For me, the extra window will be for ascii,
as a map for the main window. ;-) My 128x tiles will be an easier
download with this version as well, because Wuffles/Moose put support
for PNG format tiles. 12mb < 20mb...

Check for updates at http://www.hexusville.8m.com/absurd.htm

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Dec 26, 2002, 12:18:43 PM12/26/02
In article <xT9O9.103644$qF3.8846@sccrnsc04>,
Trebor A. Rude <tre...@powerinter.net> wrote:
>Peter Snelling wrote:

>> I've always thought this is the way nethack should go.
>> Have the standard screen on one side, and another
>> window 3 columns*whatever rows showing graphics.
>> That would make it easier to introduce players to nethack,
>> and let them gradually figure out what all the letters
>> stand for. When you play in a straight tiles mode,
>> you'll never learn what letter you want to genocide.

>How about doing the reverse, then? Have the main window tiled, with the

>smaller area windows with the characters in it? :)

To get these both at the same time, I'm writing a new patch, with 8x8
tiles for use on a 640x192 screen :)

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
doc...@psu.edu Smeal 178 (814) 375-4700 \ / against HTML mail

K.Shirakata

Jan 8, 2003, 11:07:06 AM1/8/03
hexusd...@hotmail.com (John Shaw) wrote in message news:<de9d3c96.0212...@posting.google.com>...

It seems cool...

BTW, what kind of licence these tiles are under?

John Shaw

Jan 10, 2003, 12:35:03 AM1/10/03
> It seems cool...
>
> BTW, what kind of licence these tiles are under?

They are under the "If you redistribute this work without giving links
to the original tile site (The distribution site,
www.aesthetictech.8m.com/absurd.htm) I get to come over to your house
and whack you with a g*dd*mn baseball bat." Licence. ;-) But
seriously, I just ask that you give links to the originals and some
egoboo. I know that over at www.rpgcodex.com they are using the tiles
as avatars in thier forums. The site owner gave me some loud praise
and that was enough for me. I just want to retain ownershit to my work
and maybe get a job... (UNEMPLOYED GEEK ARTIST FOR HIRE!!! Did the
128x128 tileset!!! Hire me!!!) Ahem. Have a good one.

Nicholas Aodhagan Webb

Jan 10, 2003, 10:07:07 AM1/10/03
On 9 Jan 2003, John Shaw wrote:

> seriously, I just ask that you give links to the originals and some
> egoboo. I know that over at www.rpgcodex.com they are using the tiles
> as avatars in thier forums. The site owner gave me some loud praise
> and that was enough for me. I just want to retain ownershit to my work
> and maybe get a job... (UNEMPLOYED GEEK ARTIST FOR HIRE!!! Did the
> 128x128 tileset!!! Hire me!!!) Ahem. Have a good one.

I notice that a non-zero number of these are just shrunken down from
Monstrous Manuals and the like. Any plans on including acknowledgement to
those artists on your page? I'm sure that they would at least want credit
for their work as well.

It does look nice, you've got a good eye.

John Shaw

Jan 10, 2003, 1:44:48 PM1/10/03
>I notice that a non-zero number of these are just shrunken down from
>Monstrous Manuals and the like.

I would argue that none of those images are "Just shrunken down", but
yes, it's no secret that *Many* of the creature images are derivitive
works. Tons of photographs, monster manual, original art by others,
etc. I gave a credit to google images, because a credits page that is
fourty pages long will be completely ignored, and I only take credtit
for making a *tileset* not all original art. I *did* create the
tileset, which is a compilation of many thousands of images. More than
2/3 are original art, about 1/4(Mostly objects.) are extremely
photoshopped, (You can find a picture of a towel that I used on google
images, but you'd never recognize it as the one in my tileset, for
instance.) and the rest are somebody elses work. (Mostly creatures.)
Note: Not one image in the entire tileset was just a simple reduction,
btw. Every image was tweaked, recolored, contrast matched, resized,
outlined, shadowed, etc. Most humanoids were actual photographs,
citidel minitures, or colorized photographs of sculptures. I'm
actually not arguing your point, I'm just trying to make clear how
much work I did, and how many images I have the right to take
ownership of. The people who did work that appears in my tileset
deserve credit. You are correct. Expect to see a credits page
forthcoming, but don't nag me about it. But don't expect credits on
some photograph of a bear trap that I snagged from some hunting
website, which is where 75% of the non original art came from.

>Any plans on including acknowledgement to
>those artists on your page?

See last line. Yes. But it will probably be pretty general with some
specific names highlighted.

>I'm sure that they would at least want credit
>for their work as well.

If they care, they will see it.

>It does look nice, you've got a good eye.

Thank you very much. I hope I didn't come off as antagonistic, it's
just that I put a hell of a lot of work into those tiles, and all I
ask is for a link to my site as credit. It's not like I've got some
draconian licence or something.

Nicholas Aodhagan Webb

Jan 10, 2003, 4:46:05 PM1/10/03

On 10 Jan 2003, John Shaw wrote:

> >I notice that a non-zero number of these are just shrunken down from
> >Monstrous Manuals and the like.
>
> I would argue that none of those images are "Just shrunken down", but

> tileset, which is a compilation of many thousands of images. More than
> 2/3 are original art, about 1/4(Mostly objects.) are extremely
> photoshopped, (You can find a picture of a towel that I used on google

> forthcoming, but don't nag me about it. But don't expect credits on
> some photograph of a bear trap that I snagged from some hunting
> website, which is where 75% of the non original art came from.

> >It does look nice, you've got a good eye.
>
> Thank you very much. I hope I didn't come off as antagonistic, it's
> just that I put a hell of a lot of work into those tiles, and all I
> ask is for a link to my site as credit. It's not like I've got some
> draconian licence or something.

I can tell you put alot work into it. I made a couple of tiles to match
your set for some patches I'm working on. And if I multiplied that times
like a bajillion, then it'd be what you put into it. I didn't mean to
sound nagging, and I'm sorry I implied that all you did was just shrink
things down. I'd agreed that a photo out of a hunting magazine doesn't
qualify as not worth crediting, but things like Todd Lockwood's Owlbear or
Sam Wood's ghoul are quite recognizable. And all I was asking was if
they'd get credit for their work as well as you getting credit for
yours. And that seems to be your plans.

John Shaw

Jan 10, 2003, 10:12:26 PM1/10/03
>I didn't mean to
>sound nagging, and I'm sorry I implied that all you did was just
shrink
>things down. I'd agreed that a photo out of a hunting magazine
doesn't
>qualify as not worth crediting, but things like Todd Lockwood's
Owlbear or
>Sam Wood's ghoul are quite recognizable. And all I was asking was if
>they'd get credit for their work as well as you getting credit for
>yours. And that seems to be your plans.

All is well, we are friends ;-) ***HIGH FIVE***
So... what kind of mod are you doing? Do we get to see the cool stuff
or what? I do specialty tile on request if you need any help or
anything.