Salvaton of The lord

Brother Bretts

Jun 14, 2006, 10:18:24 PM6/14/06
i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.

Bretts

edfre...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2006, 11:16:29 PM6/14/06
Go away, loki troll. This is worse than the stuff you put on talk
origins.

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 15, 2006, 7:38:31 AM6/15/06
Brother Bretts wrote:
> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.

Some cener l tips on eng aving..
1) Don t mcve if you don't want your engra irgs to gct obl teratec and
nrcadablc; Netnack equires in mo t cases *e act orthoc aphv o be
cf ective.
2) Don't cngr ve morc th n 10 le ters, o he w sc that w |l requi c tco
nany urns anc vou rich get ki|led by omc a proa hing crit er.
3) There's not m ch point in eng aving su h text ir |ethack, anyway
in e E|bercth is the onlv really use ul one, and an encravirg o
idcntify ycur wands recuires just a few ch racter symbols.

Ncw trvinc tc parse your scr bb|irc cr some mcre t p ..
4) There s no ch teacher role in Ne hack vou must be pl virg cme
variant.
5) While yc c n writc scro|ls ( nd |ccks) in Netn ck vou c n't del er
ther d rc t|y. On|y in ir case of vou death, and when you arc lucky
hat yo r boncs e no eater by worms or otne nspcakab|e |eincs.
6) You can onlv cet born agair usirg an amulet o |ifc s ving. Ar
except on tc that i i yo are polymo phed reircarr te| o scre
mons er vou'l| re i e o yo or ginal pecic i yo die. Thc c
are alsc exccptions to that but it's beyond you cxperien e lcve|.)
7) Don't ray too ofter. Thc e's some praye timeo t that you should
respect othe wisc ycur god will |e ve y unhap y with you.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 15, 2006, 7:42:31 AM6/15/06
Brother Bretts wrote:
> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.

[ Excitement made me move a lot while writing my last posting. Here's
the correct one... ]

Some general tips on engraving...
1) Don't move if you don't want your engravings to get obliterated and
unreadable; Nethack requires in most cases *exact* orthography to be
effective.
2) Don't engrave more than 10 letters, otherwise that will require too
many turns and you might get killed by some approaching critter.
3) There's not much point in engraving such text in Nethack, anyway,
since Elbereth is the only really useful one, and an engraving to
identify your wands requires just a few character symbols.

Now trying to parse your scribbling for some more tips...
4) There's no such teacher role in Nethack; you must be playing some
variant.
5) While you can write scrolls (and books) in Nethack you can't deliver
them directly. Only in in case of your death, and when you are lucky
that your bones are not eaten by worms or other unspeakable beings.
6) You can only get born again using an amulet of life saving. An
exception to that is if you are polymorphed/reincarnated to some
monster you'll revive to your original species if you die. (There
are also exceptions to that but it's beyond your experience level.)
7) Don't pray too often. There's some prayer timeout that you should
respect, otherwise your god will be very unhappy with you.

Janis

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jun 15, 2006, 8:52:31 AM6/15/06

Janis, thank you for this, you made my morning. :)

-r.

Chris Odorjan

Jun 15, 2006, 7:16:04 PM6/15/06
On 06/14/06 10:18 PM, Brother Bretts wrote:

> i am prying for ur sole.

So you repair shoes as well! Is there no end to your talents?!

--
Chris Odorjan - codo...@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

Brother Bretts

Jun 15, 2006, 8:52:02 PM6/15/06

Chris Odorjan wrote:
> On 06/14/06 10:18 PM, Brother Bretts wrote:
>
> > i am prying for ur sole.
>
> So you repair shoes as well! Is there no end to your talents?!

ur not making ne sents prolly cos ur not a chrsitain so u ned 2b borned
again

nikolai kingsley

Jun 15, 2006, 8:51:46 PM6/15/06

>> i am prying for ur sole.
>
> So you repair shoes as well! Is there no end to your talents?!

before you pray to hopefully uncurse those -1 Boots of Speed, you might
want to make sure your god isn't pissed off at you.

Lars Kecke

Jun 15, 2006, 10:47:52 PM6/15/06
Brother Bretts wrote:

> ur not making ne sents prolly cos ur not a chrsitain so u ned 2b borned
> again

Yes, I know, starting as a priest of Lugh makes me want to reroll, too.
Anyway, according to the Source, your character's pantheon has no
gameplay effects.

Lars, bored again.

Faux_Pseudo

Jun 15, 2006, 11:39:01 PM6/15/06
_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Brother Bretts wrote the following -._

> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.

Please go back to talk.origins. Your posts were funnier there.

--
=()==()==()==()==()- http://fauxascii.com
\ \ \ \ \ \ ASCII artist

xorxif

Jun 16, 2006, 1:09:11 AM6/16/06

For those that don't know, this guy is, in all probability, none other
than the illustrious (and often infamous) Butter Pants!
Butters "died" about a week ago with much (fanfare? celebration?) and
now it appears that the reports of his death were... well, made up, much
like Butters himself.
Still, his unique "perspective" on things might prove interesting, if he
would actually PLAY a roguelike...
For those who've read his stuff, obviously he would play nothing less
than a tourist...
I can see his first turn now:

You begin praying to The Lady.
You are surrounded by shimmering light.
A voice booms out, "Thou art arrogant, mortal!"
"Thou must relearn thy lessons!"
You feel foolish!
Goodbye level 1.

- xorxif

dogscoff

Jun 16, 2006, 4:32:03 AM6/16/06

Brother Bretts wrote:
> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.

I have to say this is one of the cruder trolls I've seen around here.
Badly spelt fake-evangelism might be anough to wind people up where
you're from, but this is rgrn, son. You'll need something special to
impress us.

Jakob Creutzig

Jun 16, 2006, 4:41:19 AM6/16/06
"dogscoff" <dogs...@eudoramail.com> writes:

> Brother Bretts wrote:
> > i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> > can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.
>
> I have to say this is one of the cruder trolls I've seen around here.

You gotta (e)at trolls, not feed them.

Best,
Jakob

Lars Kecke

Jun 16, 2006, 4:43:05 AM6/16/06
dogscoff wrote:
> Brother Bretts wrote:
>> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
>> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.
>
> I have to say this is one of the cruder trolls I've seen around here.

but, strangely enough, the one with the biggest response in months. So
if a troll's reason to post is to provoke responses, this one is quite
high-level Because he writes so crudely that every response will look
witty in comparison it is hart to resist replying.

> Badly spelt fake-evangelism might be anough to wind people up where
> you're from, but this is rgrn, son. You'll need something special to
> impress us.

He already impressed /me/ by catching quite a few of the regulars around
here with just 2 lines of text :-).

Lars

Jakob Creutzig

Jun 16, 2006, 4:49:26 AM6/16/06
Lars Kecke <lars...@gmail.com> writes:

> dogscoff wrote:
> > Brother Bretts wrote:
> >> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> >> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.
> > I have to say this is one of the cruder trolls I've seen around here.
>
> but, strangely enough, the one with the biggest response in months. So
> if a troll's reason to post is to provoke responses, this one is quite
> high-level Because he writes so crudely that every response will look
> witty in comparison it is hart to resist replying.

One of the most basic strategies in the game. See

http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/troll1.html

for rules and details.

Best,
Ja"one more score"kob

dogscoff

Jun 16, 2006, 5:16:44 AM6/16/06

I think your URL is more of a joke to illustrate the moronic
motivations of a troll than a set of rules that any troll actually
plays to. I was under the impression that trolls seek to create
conflict and flames, not simply responses. After all, if that were the
case, I could 'win' a 'game' of troll by posting a perfectly polite and
valid question regarding wands of wishing or something and generating
lots of calm and interesting on-topic responses. That this one has
succeeded in generating a lot of calm and interesting OFF-topic
the off-topic chatter that comes up from time to time as for the
nethacky stuff.

So this troll has had lots of responses, yes, but not one of them has
been angry. He ( or she) hasn't started a flame war, he hasn't divided
the group and set old friends against one another, he hasn't plunged us
into a frenzy of recrimination and killfiling, so by my definition of a
troll he has failed. Utterly. And as long as he continues to fail in
that regard and this conversation remains interesting, I will be quite
happy to add to his meaningless little count of happy posts with
discussion of how completely stupid he is. I'd like to think he is
sulking over his keyboard right now at the complete lack of religious
vs atheist zealotry he's managed to whip up, and only just twigging to
the fact that we're all actually laughing at him. All he's done is
provide a little smug amusement for the rest of us and to be honest,
with such a crude and obvious effort, who can expect otherwise?

nyra

Jun 16, 2006, 5:30:08 AM6/16/06
Lars Kecke schrieb:

> dogscoff wrote:
> > Brother Bretts wrote:
> >> i am a chrsitain minster & a scients teacher in a chrsitain school & u
> >> can write 2 me cos u ned 2b borned agenn. i am prying for ur sole.
> >
> > I have to say this is one of the cruder trolls I've seen around here.
>
> but, strangely enough, the one with the biggest response in months. So
> if a troll's reason to post is to provoke responses, this one is quite
> high-level Because he writes so crudely that every response will look
> witty in comparison it is hart to resist replying.

Although the crazy spelling is quite witty in its own way -
persistently writing 'chrsitain' takes some doing, and 'prying for ur
sole' is priceless.

--
Se on Jumalan sana, sanoi mies,
kun akkansa raamatulla löi.

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 16, 2006, 6:43:36 AM6/16/06
Lars Kecke wrote:

> dogscoff wrote:
>
>> Badly spelt fake-evangelism might be anough to wind people up where
>> you're from, but this is rgrn, son. You'll need something special to
>> impress us.
>
> He already impressed /me/ by catching quite a few of the regulars around
> here with just 2 lines of text :-).

Let me tell you that I even wrote a little program before posting to
blur my Usenet engraving! ;-)

But that's fun for me, both, writing auxiliary programs and posting
funny responses; and everything was on-topic. Heh! If every troll's
posting offers so much profile for on-topic exhilarating resposes I
am fine with that situation. I hope others also enjoy this type of
communication, that diversifies r.g.r.n's content, as much as I do.

Janis

Jym

Jun 16, 2006, 11:01:54 AM6/16/06

Yep. At that point I started looking at my old shoes but no, the sole was
still as broken as before, I guess 'prying' is more useful for fooling
poorly designed bayesian than for actually reparing soles...

Oh, of course the 'minster' is not without reminding me of the 'munster',
an alsacian cheese... Even Slash'em does not (yet) have mooving/talking
cheese (only killer food rations or bad eggs)

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Gary Olson

Jun 17, 2006, 10:46:25 AM6/17/06
I don't know about the "borned agenn" part; but Hipocrates the Healer's
life has been saved twice and she has turned into a new woman once. What
implications does this have for her "sole"? Will her eventual ascension
be denied, impugned, or partially delayed? Do we need to request a new
patch from the Dev Team to allow us to "pray for ur sole" after using an
AoLS or polymorphing?

Zeitgeist

Jun 17, 2006, 10:57:17 AM6/17/06

Gary Olson wrote:
> I don't know about the "borned agenn" part; but Hipocrates the Healer's
> life has been saved twice and she has turned into a new woman once. What
> implications does this have for her "sole"? Will her eventual ascension
> be denied, impugned, or partially delayed? Do we need to request a new
> patch from the Dev Team to allow us to "pray for ur sole" after using an
> AoLS or polymorphing?

I thought you needed to "pray for ur sole" after putting on cursed
levitation boots.

--
Zeitgeist