Slash version 6 uploaded!

Tom Proudfoot

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
Slash release #6

At the following place:

wuarchive.wustl.edu in pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games

The files are:

slash6.zip -- binaries for release #6
slashsr6.zip -- complete source code for release #6

If you have been playing Slash and want to keep the current high score table,
copy the file "record" to something else, and after unzipping the binaries,
copy it back. Otherwise, it'll overwrite your scores.

Saved games and bones are NOT compatible from previous versions of Slash!

Please remember to delete bones*.* from your directory, or strange things
will happen. :)

Bugs fixed
----------
* valkyries and Barbarians were unable to read the Book of the Dead. Oops.
* fixed specific warning from some artifacts
* the "it doesn't seem to harm" message appears only if the creature is seen
* wishing for an artifact could cause a crash later on. Urp...
* added damage amount display to explosions
* fixed bugs with explosion damage: polymorphed players and invulnerability
wasn't working right with fireballs, gas spores, etc.
* changed // comments to /* */ to help other platforms out... :)
* also put lots of the Watcom stuff in #ifdefs
* fixed reflection message... again....
* fixed conflict & god-given pets
* fixed "You return to human form" for Gnomes
* crash bug with archeologists falling in trapdoors fixed.
* added message when necromancers gain gain undead warning

Adjustments
-----------
* id wands of healing if you zap yourself
* healing/extra-healing potions give you more permanent hit points
* weapons can be enchanted from +5 now (was +3)
* removed the "steps reluctantly" message from god-given pets... it was
annoying and misleading
* angels don't show up unless you're in deep trouble.

Additions
---------
* weapon swap command - 'x' -- list spells is now 'X'
* added dark elven equipment -- chaotic elves are now dark elves
* invisible objects (invisible weapons get a +3 to hit monsters who can't
see invisible; nymphs, etc. won't steal invisible objects they can't see;
1 in 1250 random objects are now invisible)
* made a makefile for Watcom
* added/enhanced some wizard mode commands
* put in four Neutral weapons from Nehwon: Graywand, Heartseeker, Scalpel,
and Cat's Claw.

Many people have given lots of helpful suggestions, but several have
been especially helpful and have sent me huge lists of bugs.
They are Wolfe, David Robertson, and Kentaro Shirakata.

Thanks to everyone for their help in squashing bugs. No one likes to
lose a character to a bug, and the more bugs that are found, the fewer
remain.

--
Tom Proudfoot pro...@ccnet.com

Matthew Peter Sayler

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Tom Proudfoot (pro...@ccnet.com) wrote one fine day:
> Slash release #6

[snip]

> Thanks to everyone for their help in squashing bugs. No one likes to
> lose a character to a bug, and the more bugs that are found, the fewer
> remain.

"Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work."
-- Anon. (fortune)

hehe. But seriously, thanks for another interesting addition to the
nethack menagerie.

m@ (still looking for a version for linux)

--
-- Matt Sayler -- Univ. North Texas, Denton, Texas, USA ---- . _ _ ,--.
-- TAMS: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" --- | | | | .-|

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Robbie Gates

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Tom Proudfoot wrote:

> Slash release #6
>
> At the following place:
>
> wuarchive.wustl.edu in pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games
>
> The files are:
>
> slash6.zip -- binaries for release #6
> slashsr6.zip -- complete source code for release #6

can anyone convert this source to a .tar.gz or .tar.Z form so i can
grab it for a unix system ? or point me in the direction of some
unix freeware that can unzip ? (gzip didn't seem to want to do it -
am i just a loser ?)

hearing all this interesting stuff about slash has whet my appetite
but i don't have access to an msdos machine ...

- robbie
robbie gates | it's not a religion, it's just a technique.
apprentice algebraist | it's just a way of making you speak.
pgp key available | - "destination", the church.

Ben Allen

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
pro...@ccnet.com (Tom Proudfoot) wrote:
[snip]

>* angels don't show up unless you're in deep trouble.
[snip]

Okay, this is good, but IMHO angels still show up way too often...um,
a suggestion: Have it so that when left behind on a level, they turn
peaceful, instead of hostile.

This message abruptly ended by:
--
Ben Allen, ond...@eskimo.com
----<this space unintentionally left filled>----

D.J. Schreffler

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
And when will SLASH come out for the MAC?

D.J. Schreffler

Lord Gek

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <Dp807...@eskimo.com>, ond...@eskimo.com says...

>pro...@ccnet.com (Tom Proudfoot) wrote:
>[snip]
>>* angels don't show up unless you're in deep trouble.
>[snip]
>
>Okay, this is good, but IMHO angels still show up way too often...um,
>a suggestion: Have it so that when left behind on a level, they turn
>peaceful, instead of hostile.

Well I'm in a dilemma, I do think these Angels and such do show up a bit too
regularly but, please Tom, don't dare make them peaceful! These pets make great
loot guardians! I've always felt ghosts in NH were way too wimpy and at least
now with these pets, the dead my finally get the respectful fear they deserve (i.e.
you should have to put in a little effort to snag free stuff like this).

WIREHEAD

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
boo...@u.washington.edu (D.J. Schreffler) wrote:

>And when will SLASH come out for the MAC?

As soon as YOU decide to try to compile it!
Lots of luck!!!

D.J. Schreffler

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
OK, I have CodeWarrior 6 and ResEdit. All I need now are the files. Where can
I get them. Which do I need. What software do I need to convert the files
into a readable format. Let me know and soon you'll be seeing compliation
questions. Then, finally, a Mac Binary.

D.J. Schreffler

!David/ Kirsty Damerell

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96

Make 'em peaceful until they take damage or the new character touches
anything in the bones pile or attacks the ghost?

--
David 'Gotterdammerung' Damerell, GCV Sauricon. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk.
Trinity College, Cambridge University. CUWoCS President. All Hail Discordia!

Ben Allen

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
djs...@thor.cam.ac.uk (!David/ Kirsty Damerell) wrote:

>>Well I'm in a dilemma, I do think these Angels and such do show up a bit too
>>regularly but, please Tom, don't dare make them peaceful! These pets make great
>>loot guardians! I've always felt ghosts in NH were way too wimpy and at least
>>now with these pets, the dead my finally get the respectful fear they deserve (i.e.
>>you should have to put in a little effort to snag free stuff like this).

>Make 'em peaceful until they take damage or the new character touches
>anything in the bones pile or attacks the ghost?

Sounds good to me (for what it's worth), though when I wrote the above
I wasn't thinking about bones piles, I was thinking about the Samurai
I had lost to a feral coautl of Amateratsu Omikami (There's no way in
Gehennom I spelled all of that right, but oh well...)