YAFAP: Lyra-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu (long)

Colin Watson

Dec 20, 2003, 1:14:14 PM12/20/03
And about time too. I've had one character on Astral before, and my last
decent game ended when I unwisely moved wielding a cockatrice corpse
just after killing Rodney with it, and of course fell into a pit (one
I'd dug myself earlier, no less). I think this qualifies as my luckiest
game ever, with only one astonishingly stupid mistake to mar it; more of
that later.

That said, the game didn't start very auspiciously: I stepped onto a
rolling boulder trap on DL3, and the boulder killed my pet, which
apparently got me in trouble with my god. Without a pet, I decided I'd
dive to Minetown and see if I could get some decent kit there. The
Minetown altar was cross-aligned lawful, but I did at least manage to
get mithril.

Coming back up from Minetown, I fell down a trapdoor from the level
above. As I climbed again, I found a bones file from a previous game
that had ended with me being choked by a rope golem. The same monster
almost finished me off again, too, but I managed to kill it.
Conveniently, the bones file came with a dog, which I tamed. A couple of
levels down in the main dungeon, though, it ate a chameleon corpse and
polymorphed into a python; I waited around for it for a while, but
without a magic whistle it was just too damn slow even after zapping it
with a WoSpeedM, so I abandoned it on the basis that it wasn't going to
do me any significant harm even if it did go feral.

There was a co-aligned altar on DL7, and I sacrificed to get Mjollnir,
which always simplifies a Valk's life. Sokoban got me AoR, which wasn't
what I'd hoped for, so at this point I had to do a lot of stash-work and
careful price-IDing. I wanted to visit Mines' End anyway.

In the Mines I hit a polytrap and became a hobgoblin. I think this is
possibly one of the best creatures to poly into if you really wanted to
stay human: I kept all my armour and had a grand total of 2 HP, so
changing back was easy. Just in case, I fished out a RoPC, which was
just as well since I hit two more polytraps soon afterwards: I said
"human" to both, and the "new woman" sequence first took me up two XL
and then down two. After I got sent down two more by a later polytrap I
decided I'd just opt for hobgoblin in future. This was my last visit to
the deeper parts of the Mines all game, after I decided to valiantly RUN
AWAY from a swarm of cockatrices on the level below Minetown.

The next few levels in the main dungeon were fairly straightforward,
with another co-aligned altar on DL11. There were three beehives in the
space of four levels, two of which were quite large, so the resulting
pile of royal jelly did wonders for my strength. On the bottom of these
four levels I established what ended up being my primary stash.

I had an amusing incident with a Woodland-elf about here:

The massive hammer hits! Lightning strikes the Woodland-elf! The
Woodland-elf reads a cursed scroll of earth! The ceiling rumbles
above the Woodland-elf!
The Woodland-elf is hit by a boulder! The Woodland-elf's elven
leather helm does not protect him. The Woodland-elf is killed.

OK, feel free to kill yourself, don't mind me ...

My first WoDeath came from a dead troll, and then I found a co-aligned
temple on DL21; I figured things were looking up quite nicely now, so I
went for the Quest. Lord Surtur, as ever, was a wimp and died after a
couple of thwacks from Mojo. On the way back up, TDTTOE, but fortunately
I'd paid appropriate attention to Douglas Adams:

You consume deep fried fire ant. Eating deep fried food made your
fingers very slippery. Your weapon slips from your hands.

A bit more prayer got me crowned, but curiously, no Vorpal Blade was to
be seen. I wonder where it is? Aha. Remember that character who stoned
herself on the ascension run? Well, here's her bones file on DL22, which
I'd thought looked a bit familiar: this is possibly the shiniest bones
file I've ever seen, including Vorpy, +4 GDSM, blessed +2 speed boots,
+3 SoR, +5 GoP, 2 AoLS, 4 WoDeath, a big pile of holy water, a blessed
magic marker, a blessed magic lamp, and, to top it off, an almost unused
wand of wishing. Apart from the armour, most of it was inside a bag of
holding so hadn't suffered cursing, and that was my first BoH too.

I nearly blew it, though, with what was to be the scariest encounter of
the game. In order to pick up and uncurse the BoH in the bones, I'd been
obliged to take off and drop my armour, and to unwield and drop Mojo.
This would have been OK, except that while I wasn't paying attention an
Olog-hai showed up. Thwack, thwack, think I, used to tonking everything
in sight with Mojo. "You begin bashing monsters with your bare hands."
Oh. Pick up Mojo. Look at status line, reading HP 18, and remember that
the last turn had read HP 53. Oh dear. I look through my main inventory,
hoping for something to save me in one turn, and eventually notice a
WoTele; after my last death on Astral I've taken to carrying at least
one WoDeath and WoTele outside a bag whenever I can. This buys me enough
time to quaff PoFH, get my armour back on, wield Mojo, and resolve not
to be so careless in future. There were a couple of SoG in the bones, so
I took the opportunity to blessed-genocide L and h now before I met any
of them.

Medusa was a cinch since I already had reflection; the Castle was
straightforward, and I kept its WoW in the bag since I already had
several spare. There was a third WoW in the Valley, which was nice,
along with a blessed +2 CoMR, so I decided to wish for SDSM so I could
swap out the GDSM, lose the shield, and begin #twoweaponing with Mojo
and a silver saber. This turns out to be astonishingly effective in
Gehennom.

The top of Gehennom wasn't too bad: Juiblex engulfed me, but I was ready
with a WoDig; Asmodeus brought in Baalzebub, but I managed to stand on
the upstair and block them from escaping while I killed them. Orcus-town
yielded a *fourth* wand of wishing, and I used this and a blank scroll
collection to get my AC to -38.

The rest of Gehennom was pretty easy too. Vlad's throne gave me a free
genocide, which I opted to use on disenchanters so that I wouldn't have
to keep renewing my now well-enchanted inventory. The vibrating square
was on DL51. I trudged back up to dig paths and prepare stashes, finally
remembering along the way to make myself invisible, and decided now was
a good time to use some of my huge pile of Stuff. I genocided c (bored
of being scared of cockatrices), reverse-genocided nurses in Sokoban to
reach HP 323, and did some alchemy to get enough PoFH to reach HP 449.
Finally, I wished for a blessed figurine of an Archon, and they aren't
kidding that it makes a good pet, especially when it's got Sunsword. The
first thing it did was go psycho and kill the priestess of Odin in the
temple I was in. (Oh well.) I gave him some monsters to practice on to
get him up to XL 23, named him Uriel, and then at last headed down to
begin the ascension run.

Things were going much as expected until I was about to enter the
Wizard's Tower, when the astonishingly stupid mistake I mentioned above
happened. I was looking around in my bag of holding and suddenly thought
to myself "I wonder exactly what's in my sack at the moment?", that
being the sack I kept BoH-uncursing gear in - including, you guessed it,
two wands of cancellation. Only, instead of looking in the sack, some
fumble-fingered typing meant that I put the sack into the BoH instead.
BOOM. Aargh. Worse, most of my stashes now contained junk since I'd
ransacked a lot of their useful content, and I had a grand total of
three WoDeath charges remaining. Fortunately, I had two spare BoHs in
other stashes and I'd left 30 PoHW, having lots and lots of the stuff,
and a few other bits and pieces in my Planes stash on DL1, so I grabbed
what I could conveniently carry and nervously approached the Tower once
more, searching Gehennom a bit more thoroughly than I'd normally bother
with on the way on the off-chance of finding another WoDeath (I didn't).

My pet Archon helped me deal with the odd inconvenient hostile Archon or
ki-rin that insisted on creating a monster horde of their very own, and
with the Tower zoo. There was a sticky moment when it got confused and
began beating on me, but I was more than strong enough simply to wait
that out. Rodney fell to one of my WoDeath charges, and I did the true
Valkyrie-style two-move descent by #invoking the Orb of Fate and hitting
^T. (Having *intrinsic* teleport control rocks; following finding a RoTC
lying around I'd been happy to munch on leprechauns, nymphs, and tengus
earlier in the game.)

One invocation later and I discovered that a pet Archon chews its way
through priests of Moloch in the Sanctum quite acceptably, thank you.
The high priest fell to my usual weapons, helped along a little by
Moloch missing me with a lightning bolt and hitting his own high priest
by mistake. Stupid god. I grabbed the Amulet, quaffed a cursed PoGL to
get out of the Sanctum, and ran for it.

The mysterious force only made an average pain of itself, with nine
occurrences, and Rodney only showed up a few times. He brought in Geryon
once, but fortunately not Demogorgon; I don't think I could have dealt
with him considering the state of my inventory. Once I reached DL1 I
began to believe that I might actually make it:

Lyra the Champion St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:12 Wi:18 Ch:17 Neutral
Dlvl:1 $:0 HP:488(488) Pw:102(102) AC:-38 Exp:28 T:89154 Satiated

The Plane of Earth was straightforward, since one of the few items in
real abundance in my stashes was WoDig, and I'd stashed enough SoGD to
deal with finding all the portals. I levitated through Air, which was
easy enough with Uriel keeping elementals off my back, and likewise
Fire. On Water I continued levitating and swapped out AoLS (my one
remaining - I'd had two more in the exploded bag) temporarily for the
Amulet of Yendor to help me find the moving portal, which proved
straightforward.

Finally, Astral. Remembering my last death here, I took out an emergency
PoHW and several WoTele, then quaffed several of my remaining PoFH to
reach HP 503. Famine was on the left, Pestilence in the middle, and
Death on the right. I didn't really fancy trying to deal with
Pestilence, and I was satiated, so Famine it was, who went down to my
#twoweaponing without difficulty. I tried reading SoTaming while
confused a couple of times, but it didn't work quite as well as I'd
hoped, netting me only a tame gray dragon. Once I reached the altar, I
found it was Tyr's, so made my way back out to the corridor.

Death next, who drained a few maximum HP but wasn't a serious problem. I
made careful use of my magic whistle to keep my three pets around me on
the way to the altar, which was just as well since accidentally zapping
the high priestess of Odin with a WoTele didn't make her too happy.
(Incidentally, she *was* named even though I hadn't reached the altar
yet; does this provide a way to identify the altar from a distance?)

I finally reach the high altar, and with relief I offer up the Amulet:

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Odin... An invisible choir sings, and
you are bathed in radiance... The voice of Odin rings out:
"Congratulations, mortal!"--More--
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!" You
ascend to the status of Demigoddess...--More--
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)

Amulets
c - a blessed amulet of life saving (being worn)
Weapons
a - the blessed rustproof +6 Mjollnir (weapon in hand)
m - a blessed +6 silver saber (wielded in other hand)
Armor
A - a blessed fireproof +4 T-shirt (being worn)
B - a blessed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
C - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
D - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
E - a blessed rustproof +5 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
F - a blessed rustproof +4 dwarvish iron helm (being worn)
Rings
O - a blessed ring of levitation
Q - a blessed ring of free action (on right hand)
R - an uncursed ring of slow digestion
Wands
n - a wand of teleportation (0:6)
N - a wand of death (0:1)
T - a cursed wand of teleportation (0:4)
Tools
h - a blessed bag of holding
k - an uncursed skeleton key
s - an uncursed sack
u - a blessed +6 unicorn horn
w - an uncursed magic whistle
L - a blessed magic lamp (lit)
S - an uncursed rusty stethoscope
V - a cursed blindfold
X - the blessed Orb of Fate (0:5)
Gems
i - an uncursed worthless piece of green glass
j - 8 cursed worthless pieces of violet glass
# curse-padding, although I'm not sure why I had 8 in one stack
o - 3 blessed fluorite stones
q - 4 uncursed amethyst stones
r - an uncursed opal
x - an uncursed chrysoberyl stone
P - an uncursed jet stone

Contents of the bag of holding:

an uncursed partly eaten K-ration
a blessed scroll of identify
a blessed luckstone
an uncursed ring of teleport control
a blessed scroll of gold detection
3 uncursed scrolls of taming
3 uncursed potions of healing
an uncursed potion of extra healing
an uncursed towel
a wand of undead turning (0:5)
a wand of digging (0:4)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of sleep (0:5)
an uncursed potion of extra healing
a blessed potion of speed
a blessed potion of gain energy
an uncursed potion of full healing
an uncursed scroll of fire
an uncursed scroll of identify
a blessed wand of digging (0:6)
an uncursed amulet of unchanging
a cursed potion of extra healing
an uncursed scroll of genocide
a wand of create monster (0:11)
a wand of create monster (0:14)
a wand of create monster (0:10)
a potion of unholy water
an uncursed potion of speed
a wand of striking (0:4)
a wand of magic missile (0:4)
a wand of striking (0:5)
6 blessed potions of full healing
a wand of teleportation (0:6)
a wand of teleportation (0:7)
a wand of teleportation (0:6)
an uncursed ring of regeneration
24 potions of holy water
a cursed potion of healing
a wand of magic missile (0:7)
a wand of striking (0:4)
a cursed scroll of enchant weapon
a wand of digging (0:4)
11 uncursed K-rations
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed ring of polymorph control
an uncursed mirror
an uncursed leash
9 uncursed scrolls of teleportation
a cursed scroll of teleportation
a wand of lightning (0:5)
an uncursed amulet of reflection
a wand of digging (0:4)
# should have dropped all these, really
a wand of digging (0:5)
a wand of digging (0:3)
a wand of digging (0:4)
a wand of digging (0:4)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of digging (0:5)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of digging (0:8)
a wand of digging (0:5)
a wand of digging (0:1)
a wand of digging (0:7)
a wand of striking (0:4)
a wand of striking (0:4)
a wand of digging (0:3)
a wand of striking (0:5)
an uncursed ring of levitation
an uncursed ring of free action
4 cursed scrolls of create monster
8 uncursed scrolls of create monster

Contents of the sack:

a blessed scroll of remove curse
2 potions of holy water

Do you want to see your attributes? [ynq] (n)

Final Attributes:

You were the Envoy of Balance.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You were warned.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You could teleport.
You had teleport control.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.
Your life would have been saved.
You were wielding two weapons at once.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynq] (n)

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Geryon
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
Death
Famine (twice)
a high priest
4 mastodons
Medusa
7 krakens
2 Archons
7 iron golems
2 ki-rin
16 storm giants
a titan
3 glass golems
3 balrogs
7 purple worms
3 gray dragons
2 silver dragons
9 red dragons
6 white dragons
3 orange dragons
6 black dragons
4 blue dragons
8 green dragons
4 yellow dragons
15 minotaurs
6 jabberwocks
Lord Surtur
18 baluchitheria
8 Angels
Vlad the Impaler
6 stone golems
4 Olog-hai
5 Nazguls
# I thought the plural was just "Nazgul"?
8 pit fiends
4 sandestins
6 hell hounds
13 titanotheres
6 trappers
a baby gray dragon
3 baby black dragons
a guardian naga
5 disenchanters
30 vampire lords
5 skeletons
2 shopkeepers
20 aligned priests
9 captains
6 shades
4 clay golems
8 nurses
4 ice devils
4 nalfeshnees
11 lurkers above
3 Aleaxes
8 frost giants
10 ettins
4 golden nagas
34 black puddings
28 vampires
8 lieutenants
27 ghosts
4 queen bees
5 winged gargoyles
17 giant mimics
10 zruties
35 fire giants
12 ogre kings
8 ice trolls
14 rock trolls
7 umber hulks
4 flesh golems
9 Elvenkings
5 doppelgangers
25 hezrous
11 bone devils
13 large mimics
10 wumpuses
3 fire vortices
2 baby long worms
3 long worms
9 couatls
23 stalkers
9 air elementals
9 fire elementals
12 earth elementals
10 water elementals
20 hill giants
10 giant mummies
4 black nagas
9 xorns
22 giant zombies
19 elf-lords
16 sergeants
a water demon
5 barbed devils
20 vrocks
9 salamanders
14 wargs
7 winter wolves
7 hell hound pups
27 small mimics
6 glass piercers
12 warhorses
7 steam vortices
21 xans
5 ettin mummies
21 ogre lords
20 quantum mechanics
25 trolls
4 sasquatches
7 wood golems
2 erinyes
8 mariliths
5 sharks
an electric eel
19 gelatinous cubes
4 pyrolisks
4 large dogs
7 freezing spheres
13 flaming spheres
13 shocking spheres
7 large cats
19 tigers
9 gargoyles
a dwarf king
5 tengu
28 ochre jellies
23 leocrottas
10 energy vortices
8 mountain centaurs
8 stone giants
11 elf mummies
6 human mummies
8 red nagas
9 green slimes
11 pit vipers
10 pythons
5 cobras
59 wraiths
12 carnivorous apes
18 ettin zombies
4 leather golems
12 Grey-elves
54 soldiers
3 watchmen
4 horned devils
10 succubi
9 incubi
9 chameleons
8 crocodiles
24 giant beetles
15 quivering blobs
39 cockatrices
6 wolves
18 winter wolf cubs
7 lynxes
7 panthers
29 gremlins
5 spotted jellies
46 leprechauns
3 orc-captains
11 iron piercers
9 mumakil
21 giant spiders
16 scorpions
11 horses
6 ice vortices
17 black lights
12 vampire bats
6 forest centaurs
7 gnome kings
4 orc mummies
4 dwarf mummies
24 ogres
6 brown puddings
17 rust monsters
22 owlbears
17 yetis
5 gold golems
4 werewolves
21 Green-elves
3 piranhas
14 giant eels
21 lizards
6 chickatrices
4 dogs
3 dingos
2 housecats
8 jaguars
2 dwarf lords
6 blue jellies
8 white unicorns
4 gray unicorns
3 black unicorns
9 dust vortices
15 ravens
8 gnome mummies
8 snakes
20 apes
25 human zombies
3 rope golems
23 Woodland-elves
22 soldier ants
79 fire ants
4 bugbears
an imp
7 lemures
14 quasits
4 wood nymphs
9 water nymphs
8 mountain nymphs
3 Mordor orcs
20 Uruk-hai
4 orc shamans
6 rock piercers
6 rock moles
4 ponies
9 fog clouds
14 yellow lights
4 shriekers
5 violet fungi
19 gnome lords
12 gnomish wizards
2 kobold mummies
a black naga hatchling
2 golden naga hatchlings
2 guardian naga hatchlings
7 gray oozes
4 barrow wights
27 elf zombies
17 ghouls
4 straw golems
5 paper golems
7 jellyfish
3 baby crocodiles
20 giant ants
a little dog
13 floating eyes
3 kittens
25 dwarves
5 homunculi
2 kobold lords
3 kobold shamans
37 hill orcs
55 rothes
2 rabid rats
5 centipedes
8 giant bats
4 monkeys
21 orc zombies
20 dwarf zombies
a wererat
2 werejackals
19 iguanas
125 killer bees
2 acid blobs
9 coyotes
3 gas spores
11 hobbits
20 manes
2 large kobolds
7 hobgoblins
11 giant rats
3 cave spiders
3 brown molds
a yellow mold
5 green molds
a red mold
63 gnomes
13 garter snakes
7 gnome zombies
7 geckos
10 jackals
2 foxes
a kobold
9 goblins
7 sewer rats
9 grid bugs
4 bats
11 lichens
11 kobold zombies
6 newts

3070 creatures vanquished.

Do you want a list of species genocided? [ynq] (n)

Genocided species:

chickatrices
cockatrices
pyrolisks
hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
disenchanters

15 species genocided.

Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (n)

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 15 types of monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You used 8 wishes.
You did not wish for any artifacts.

(Also, I never used conflict and never engraved Elbereth.)

Farvel Lyra the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 4421064 points,
Mjollnir (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
9 worthless pieces of colored glass,
4 amethyst stones (worth 2400 zorkmids),
3 fluorite stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
1 jet stone (worth 850 zorkmids),
1 opal (worth 800 zorkmids),
1 chrysoberyl stone (worth 700 zorkmids),
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of unchanging (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 89521 moves.
You were level 30 with a maximum of 500 hit points when you ascended.

(Shouldn't my pets have been listed here? My guardian Angel and gray
dragon were next to me when I ascended, and although I couldn't see
Uriel the Archon nearby I thought he was still alive ...)

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 4421064 Lyra-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood. 439 [500]
2 2632909 Lyra-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu died on the Astral Plane.
Killed by a priestess of Tyr, while helpless (with
the Amulet). - [336]
3 2489798 Lyra-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu turned to stone in The Dungeons
of Doom on level 22 [max 49]. Petrified by a
cockatrice corpse. 453 [457]

Thanks a lot to David Damerell, Martin Read, and Joshua Kwan for helpful
comments on IRC at various points.

--
Colin Watson [cjwa...@chiark.greenend.org.uk]

Colin Watson

Dec 21, 2003, 7:53:32 AM12/21/03
Colin Watson <cjwa...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Death next, who drained a few maximum HP but wasn't a serious problem. I
>made careful use of my magic whistle to keep my three pets around me on
>the way to the altar, which was just as well since accidentally zapping
>the high priestess of Odin with a WoTele didn't make her too happy.
>(Incidentally, she *was* named even though I hadn't reached the altar
>yet; does this provide a way to identify the altar from a distance?)

I confirmed this in wizard mode, so I've sent a bug report to the
DevTeam.

--
Colin Watson [cjwa...@chiark.greenend.org.uk]