YAAP: Funcrunch-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu, vegan, weaponless, polyless, artwishless (NAO)

funcrunch

Jun 24, 2007, 10:43:38 PM6/24/07
For my attempt at completing the "Double Top" (ascending all three
alignments) in this year's NAO tournament, I chose a neutral monk, to
complement the lawful (dwarven) archaeologist and chaotic (orcish)
barbarian I'd already ascended. I felt certain I wouldn't actually win
three times in a row, as I've never had a streak longer than two
before, and monks aren't exactly the easiest class. But I did it! :-D

A magic lamp in Minetown helped start me off right with a cloak of
magic resistance. Unfortunately, reflection was very slow in coming.
Sokoban had the bag of holding, again - second game in a row where I'd
already acquired a bag and *really* wanted the amulet, and I hate
doing Soko so was annoyed. However, I'd managed to acquire a pet
silver dragon via polytrap, and when something killed him I decided to
save his scales just in case. After reading about the pros and cons of
armored monkery in this newsgroup, I decided to use the scale mail and
deal with the to-hit penalty and the lesser damage inflicted by
kicking, at least until I got the amulet.

This ended up being a good move, as with the reflection and improved
AC I was able to clear out Ludios, and get a wish from the throne.
Hello, AoR, goodbye, SDSM. Finished donating for my protection (a
*huge* co-aligned temple was right below Sokoban), then to the castle,
whose throne *also* produced a wish! As I knew the castle wand was
within arm's reach, I chose a helm of brilliance, then got a magic
marker later. I'd already found speed boots and numerous rings, so the
only part of my ascension kit missing was gauntlets of dexterity. I
ultimately did without them, as I didn't want to blow a wish on that,
and never found a wand of polymorph the entire game.

The polyitemless conduct was purely due to utter lack of polymorph
wands; the rest of the conducts were planned. I'd ascended several
vegetarians but never a vegan before; I hated to give up the strength
boosts from royal jelly. But once I found a ring of slow digestion, I
was at least assured I would not starve. Weaponless I'd done before as
well, in my one (offline) monk ascension; trying to avoid pick-axe
accidents is a real pain, but at least a shop produced a spellbook of
magic missile, though I never got better than a 12% failure rate. (I
was not willing to rely on the quest artifact alone for magic
resistance, and I never wish for other class's quest artifacts, so I
had to ditch the robe.)

I knew I wasn't going to keep genoless conduct in this game (though
I've won genoless several times), but since the generous Ludios throne
gave me a free genocide in addition to the wish, I chose master mind
flayers, so I could later geno ordinary 'flayers separately, and spare
all the poor dwarves, hobbits, and bugbears that normally take
collateral damage. I hope they are grateful. ;-) (My husband thinks it
rather horrible of me to favor strict vegan conduct over genoless, but
he's not a Nethack player... should I add that he and I are
vegetarians, but not always strictly vegan, in Real Life? ;-) )

The quest was tough but I got through it; I forgot that Master Kaen
would be magic-protected once he picked up the Eyes, and wasted
several death wand charges. I tried a trick also read here of reading
a scroll of earth on the up staircase, which blocked some things from
reaching me (this worked very well for the Big Room), but he ended up
on one of the boulder squares. So I slowly karate-chopped him to
death. I should have used cold or sleep or something else. I think one
of my pets may have ultimately done him in.

I had a variety of pets but they all met various ends; the saddest was
when the purple worm I'd painstakingly charmed via magic trap in the
Wizard's tower poly'd into a newt in Juiblex's swamp on the way back
up. Along the way he had swallowed Rodney a couple of times, along
with the high priest of Moloch (with some reluctance; ring of conflict
helped), so at least he served his purpose well.

Didn't get bothered too much by either the mysterious force or
inventory auto-cursing. Dropped enough before entering the Planes to
be unburdened; I don't usually do this, but with the lower AC and
damage of my character I felt it was important. Sped through pretty
quickly; jumped a bit on Astral via spell, teleporting monsters out of
the way, and offered at the second altar for my 11th NAO victory, 10th
class, and third ascension in a row, giving me the Double Top with
Bells On, and giving Team RGRN another 13 points; I'm currently also
the highest-scoring Monk. (Though, like my "Most extinctionist" honor,
I do not necessarily expect that ranking to last!)

Funcrunch the Master St:18/07 Dx:18 Co:18 In:16 Wi:22 Ch:
18 Neutral S:1805694
Astral Plane $:0 HP:352(352) Pw:80(183) AC:-24 Xp:30/100027291 T:
73987

Vanquished creatures
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
Death
Famine (thrice)
a high priest
Master Kaen
2 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus
17 krakens
[...]
3125 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
soldiers (extinct)
erinyes (extinct)
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens
12 species genocided.
2 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You followed a strict vegan diet
You never hit with a wielded weapon
You genocided 12 types of monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used 4 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts
[counting vegetarian, that's six conducts - a personal best!]

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
martial arts [Grand Master]
Weapon Skills
(none)
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Basic]
healing spells [Basic]
divination spells [Basic]
clerical spells [Basic]

Goodbye funcrunch the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 3806738 points,
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
14 rubies (worth 49000 zorkmids),
10 turquoise stones (worth 20000 zorkmids),
8 emeralds (worth 20000 zorkmids),
6 diamonds (worth 24000 zorkmids),
6 jacinth stones (worth 19500 zorkmids),
4 sapphires (worth 12000 zorkmids),
4 black opals (worth 10000 zorkmids),
3 dilithium crystals (worth 13500 zorkmids),
3 amber stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 73987 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 30 with a maximum of 352 hit points when you ascended.

I regret this will probably be my last game of the month, as I have a
concert coming up this week for which I need to prepare. I would have
liked to get a Hat Trick (all five races), but Real Life must take
precedence right now! Good luck to everyone else in the tournament,
and Go Team RGRN!

- funcrunch