falcons eye in schools

Paul Sutton

Dec 8, 2001, 2:12:59 PM12/8/01
Hi

I am thinking of installing falcons eye on a Apple Mac computer at my local
school. It's for the after school club so it will not affect the main
school, it will be used by children aged between 4 and 11, I would guess
the game will be used by the older children anyway, does anyone have
experience with nethack and children. I would guess anyone into problem
solving the game would be good. and prove a good challenge.

thanks for any help.

Paul

Philip Chimento

Dec 10, 2001, 6:35:02 AM12/10/01
Paul Sutton wrote:

Maybe you should compile the succubi and incubi out first...

--
Philip

Not Hercules could have knock'd out his brains, for he had none.
-- Shakespeare

V'rgo

Dec 10, 2001, 7:36:11 AM12/10/01

[disclaimer: all characters depicted here are fictitious, any
semblance to people living or dead is coincidental]

Mother: So, Sarah, what did you learn in your computer club today?
Little Sarah [6 years old]: Well, Mommy, we played this neat new game
called NetHack and I was an evil wizard who killed a priest with
fireball magic and then sa.. sac.. sacrificed his corpse on an altar
and then came a demon named Yee... Yeeno... Yeenoghu but he was a
friendly demon and didn't hurt my wizard, but these policemen got
angry and I had to kill them too and offer their corpses to my evil
god, and then some more demons came but they were all friendly too,
especially one who was called a suc... suc... it had something to do
with sucking, and she took all my wizard's clothes off but I don't
understand why, but Bobby said that she wanted to make babies with
him and then... Mommy? Mommy? Are you OK?

--
V'rgo, the #1 Pet Hater of rec.games.roguelike.nethack
and a figment of his own imagination

Joan Christoph

Dec 11, 2001, 2:11:51 PM12/11/01

Paul Sutton wrote:

I have three kids. One is three, so still too young to play. My eleven year
old likes to watch me play, and once in a while will try himself. And then
there is my seven year old... she is a lot like me. Sometimes she goes on
Nethack binges and plays and plays, and then doesn't touch the game for
months. My only experience is that it is a very complicated game, and takes a
lot of thinking and learning. My seven year old actually got far enough to
leave bones once, though. I think that for older children with some patience
it would be a good thing. Especially if you use Falcon's Eye. I know my
eleven year old does not have a lot of patience, and tends to get more into the
graphics of games than I do (I play in ASCII and that is all I have at home).

Don't know if this helps at all, but just my observations about my own kids.
If you have other questions, I will try to help.

Joan

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 12, 2001, 9:23:40 AM12/12/01
In article <9v2a7r$l97$1...@news.eenet.ee>, V'rgo wrote:

> [disclaimer: all characters depicted here are fictitious, any
> semblance to people living or dead is coincidental]
>
> Mother: So, Sarah, what did you learn in your computer club today?
> Little Sarah [6 years old]: Well, Mommy, we played this neat new game
> called NetHack and I was an evil wizard who killed a priest with
> fireball magic and then sa.. sac.. sacrificed his corpse on an altar
> and then came a demon named Yee... Yeeno... Yeenoghu but he was a
> friendly demon and didn't hurt my wizard, but these policemen got
> angry and I had to kill them too and offer their corpses to my evil
> god, and then some more demons came but they were all friendly too,
> especially one who was called a suc... suc... it had something to do
> with sucking, and she took all my wizard's clothes off but I don't
> understand why, but Bobby said that she wanted to make babies with
> him and then... Mommy? Mommy? Are you OK?

saved this ten times.
--
-- Kev The Robbing-Maniac
-- Who Is Writing The Slash'EM Developer's Guide

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 12, 2001, 9:27:24 AM12/12/01

remove death rays and touches of death.
remove nymphs and foocubi.

make sure that they may play the game at 80x25, if they want.
tell them that some classes are easier.
give hints to them, if they want.
--Kev.
(the first one who calls me a child will be killfiled)

V'rgo

Dec 12, 2001, 10:34:52 AM12/12/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:

[snippety snippety snip]

> (the first one who calls me a child will be killfiled)

You are a child.
Of your parents.
I am also a child. Of *my* parents.
And so is everyone else here, a child of *their* respective parents.

Hello, killfile, here I come! };-D

playing a chaotic Wizard] Kev The Robbing-Maniac also wrote:

> saved this ten times.

Ten times?

Justin Hiltscher

Dec 12, 2001, 4:24:35 PM12/12/01

V'rgo <wwwardj...@rasi.lr.ttu.ee> wrote in message

> Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:
>
> [snippety snippety snip]
>
> > (the first one who calls me a child will be killfiled)
>
> You are a child.
> Of your parents.
> I am also a child. Of *my* parents.
> And so is everyone else here, a child of *their* respective parents.
>
> Hello, killfile, here I come! };-D

And while yer at it, you can killfile my sweet old grandma, who loves
the phrase 'mensch ist kint' (sp?) which translates literally to 'people is
kids!'

;-)

Justin Hiltscher

Tina Hall

Dec 12, 2001, 11:20:12 PM12/12/01
Justin Hiltscher wrote:
> V'rgo <wwwardj...@rasi.lr.ttu.ee> wrote in message
> > Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:
> >
> > [snippety snippety snip]
> >
> > > (the first one who calls me a child will be killfiled)

I rather think that you (Kev) are interested in Nethack at your
age is encouraging, especially since austria doesn't have english
as it's native language. Nothing to do with children, but simply
age.

> > You are a child.
> > Of your parents.

Can't they be disowned? I wouldn't want any tracable connection
to a certain woman... ;P

> And while yer at it, you can killfile my sweet old grandma,
> who loves the phrase 'mensch ist kint' (sp?) which translates
> literally to 'people is kids!'

Sure that isn't 'Menschenskind!'? Would mean something like a
'human's child', but rather in exasperation, or a mild curse. The
original meaning of the words doesn't really have anything to do
with it. Just as 'bloody hell' doesn't really refer to a red-
painted very hot place.

--
Bye
Tina

There was a cure after all, fortunately I found a remedy.

Robin Johnson

Dec 13, 2001, 7:50:20 AM12/13/01
"Kev The Robbing-Maniac" <m...@aon.at> wrote in message

> remove death rays and touches of death.

Why? It's not going to inspire the kids to use touches of death in real
life, is it?

> remove nymphs and foocubi.

Hardly pornographic.

I've been playing hack since I was five and that's what made me the
gibbering, ostracised, socially incomplete computer nerd that I am
today. Er, hang on, that's not right...

--
Robin Johnson
rd...@le.ac.NO-SPAM-PLEASE.uk

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 8:43:03 AM12/14/01
In article <9v7tes$trj$1...@news.eenet.ee>, V'rgo wrote:

> Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:
>
> [snippety snippety snip]
>
>> (the first one who calls me a child will be killfiled)
>
> You are a child.
> Of your parents.
> I am also a child. Of *my* parents.
> And so is everyone else here, a child of *their* respective parents.

yes.......

> Hello, killfile, here I come! };-D

I expected Tina to be the first who calls me a "child"....

> playing a chaotic Wizard] Kev The Robbing-Maniac also wrote:
>
>> saved this ten times.
>
> Ten times?

yes. couldn't resist.
slrn:
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>
o<cr>

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 8:45:35 AM12/14/01
In article <MSGID_2=3A2433=2F888.111=40fidonet...@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall wrote:

> I rather think that you (Kev) are interested in Nethack at your
> age is encouraging, especially since austria doesn't have english
> as it's native language. Nothing to do with children, but simply
> age.

encouraging? what's that?
and I didn't really mean that what I wrote - I ment "child" instead of
"teenager" or something.

>> > You are a child.
>> > Of your parents.
>
> Can't they be disowned? I wouldn't want any tracable connection
> to a certain woman... ;P
>
>> And while yer at it, you can killfile my sweet old grandma,
>> who loves the phrase 'mensch ist kint' (sp?) which translates
>> literally to 'people is kids!'
>
> Sure that isn't 'Menschenskind!'? Would mean something like a
> 'human's child', but rather in exasperation, or a mild curse. The
> original meaning of the words doesn't really have anything to do
> with it. Just as 'bloody hell' doesn't really refer to a red-
> painted very hot place.

yes.

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 8:46:50 AM12/14/01
In article <9va8a6$5o5e$1...@rook.le.ac.uk>, Robin Johnson wrote:

> "Kev The Robbing-Maniac" <m...@aon.at> wrote in message
>
>> remove death rays and touches of death.
>
> Why? It's not going to inspire the kids to use touches of death in real
> life, is it?

no. but it's not nice to kill people, yes.

>> remove nymphs and foocubi.
>
> Hardly pornographic.

yes, but ......

> I've been playing hack since I was five and that's what made me the
> gibbering, ostracised, socially incomplete computer nerd that I am
> today. Er, hang on, that's not right...

yes.
(do nerds use "wrong" newsreaders:)?

Tina Hall

Dec 14, 2001, 2:30:16 PM12/14/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:

> > I rather think that you (Kev) are interested in Nethack at
> > your age is encouraging, especially since austria doesn't
> > have english as it's native language. Nothing to do with
> > children, but simply age.
>
> encouraging? what's that?

Ermutigend.

> and I didn't really mean that what I wrote - I ment "child"
> instead of "teenager" or something.

I understand that. But really, if I had the choice, I'd prefer to
be 7 again instead of 30 (or even 14).

Tina Hall

Dec 14, 2001, 2:30:18 PM12/14/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:

Something seems to cut of the '-Maniac' in your username before
it gets here. (Just telling incase I forget to add it manually.)

> In article <9v7tes$trj$1...@news.eenet.ee>, V'rgo wrote:
>
> > Hello, killfile, here I come! };-D
>
> I expected Tina to be the first who calls me a "child"....

Why? What have I done now?

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 3:06:26 PM12/14/01
Tina Hall wrote:

> Kev The Robbing-Maniac wrote:
>
> Something seems to cut of the '-Maniac' in your username before
> it gets here. (Just telling incase I forget to add it manually.)

I told you that, some time ago:))

>> In article <9v7tes$trj$1...@news.eenet.ee>, V'rgo wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, killfile, here I come! };-D
>>
>> I expected Tina to be the first who calls me a "child"....

nothing, of course.

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 14, 2001, 3:08:21 PM12/14/01
Tina Hall wrote:

>> encouraging? what's that?
>
> Ermutigend.

ah. danke!

>> and I didn't really mean that what I wrote - I ment "child"
>> instead of "teenager" or something.
>
> I understand that. But really, if I had the choice, I'd prefer to
> be 7 again instead of 30 (or even 14).

hm, why that?
I think that 14,15,16,17 is the best age for most things.
(could be good to be 18 to be an "adult")
hmmmmmmmmm..............
why seven?
14yrs are allowed to do _much_ more things than 7yrs......

Chris Mears

Dec 15, 2001, 7:41:47 AM12/15/01
m...@aon.at (Kev The Robbing-Maniac) wrote:

>In article <9va8a6$5o5e$1...@rook.le.ac.uk>, Robin Johnson wrote:
>
>> "Kev The Robbing-Maniac" <m...@aon.at> wrote in message
>>
>>> remove death rays and touches of death.
>>
>> Why? It's not going to inspire the kids to use touches of death in real
>> life, is it?
>
>no. but it's not nice to kill people, yes.

Gee, making the kids start out with a pacifist ascension is a bit rough.

--
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those
who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic

Tina Hall

Dec 15, 2001, 8:30:25 AM12/15/01
Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:
>
> >I understand that. But really, if I had the choice, I'd
> >prefer to be 7 again instead of 30 (or even 14).
>
> I'd like to be 30 again, instead of 37..
> but ideally, I'd love to be about 25 again!

What's so nice about 25?

Tina Hall

Dec 15, 2001, 8:30:25 AM12/15/01
Kev The Robbing wrote:
> In article <MSGID_2=3A2433=2F888.111=40fidonet_0768add0@fidone

> t.org>, Tina Hall wrote:
>
> >> and I didn't really mean that what I wrote - I ment "child"
> >> instead of "teenager" or something.
> >
> > I understand that. But really, if I had the choice, I'd
> > prefer to be 7 again instead of 30 (or even 14).
>
> hm, why that?
> I think that 14,15,16,17 is the best age for most things.

Wouldn't know why, it's considered too old for some stuff, and
yet still too young for other stuff. Not that that bothers me,
when I'd want to sit in a sandbox and bake sand-cakes, I'd do
that even know, and bugger the people thinking that's silly. :)
But at that age, afair, one get's embarrased about some stuff too
easily to not to bother about what others might think.

From 14 onward, over here, you can also be held responsible for
any crimes.

> (could be good to be 18 to be an "adult")

Along with all the responsibilities? I'd rather not have to think
about money and such, and just go to the fridge, relying on the
adults to fill it up instead of having to do that myself.

> why seven?

Just the right age, IMO.

> 14yrs are allowed to do _much_ more things than 7yrs......

I don't remember not being allowed to do something I wanted to
(but wasn't up to any mischief anyway). Life's a lot easier, and
the world a lot smaller at that age.

Chi

Dec 15, 2001, 8:45:29 AM12/15/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac <m...@aon.at> wrote:
> In article <9va8a6$5o5e$1...@rook.le.ac.uk>, Robin Johnson wrote:
>> "Kev The Robbing-Maniac" <m...@aon.at> wrote in message
>>
>>> remove death rays and touches of death.
>>
>> Why? It's not going to inspire the kids to use touches of death in real
>> life, is it?
>
> no. but it's not nice to kill people, yes.

Let me get this straight...

/oD and touches of death are A Bad Thing, but hacking someone to death
with an axe and sacrificing their still warm, bloodied corpses to pagan
gods (or alternatively feasting on the raw remains) is ok??

(And what about scrolls of genocide?)

Regards,

Chris.

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 15, 2001, 11:50:12 AM12/15/01
Tina Hall wrote:

>> hm, why that?
>> I think that 14,15,16,17 is the best age for most things.
>
> Wouldn't know why, it's considered too old for some stuff, and
> yet still too young for other stuff. Not that that bothers me,
> when I'd want to sit in a sandbox and bake sand-cakes, I'd do
> that even know, and bugger the people thinking that's silly. :)
> But at that age, afair, one get's embarrased about some stuff too
> easily to not to bother about what others might think.

sandbox.........

> From 14 onward, over here, you can also be held responsible for
> any crimes.

wohow.....watch out......new moon tonight.........

>> (could be good to be 18 to be an "adult")
>
> Along with all the responsibilities? I'd rather not have to think
> about money and such, and just go to the fridge, relying on the
> adults to fill it up instead of having to do that myself.

hm, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

>> why seven?
>
> Just the right age, IMO.
>
>> 14yrs are allowed to do _much_ more things than 7yrs......
>
> I don't remember not being allowed to do something I wanted to
> (but wasn't up to any mischief anyway). Life's a lot easier, and
> the world a lot smaller at that age.

by the law, I mean.

Mikko Parviainen

Dec 15, 2001, 12:55:25 PM12/15/01
Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
> What's so nice about 25?

You'll know when you get old enough.

Me? I think 25 is the perfect age. Might be that that changes to
26 in six months...

--
+++++++++[>+++++++++<-]>-.<+++++[>+++<-]++>++.<++[>++++<-]+>+.<++[>----
<-]>-.>+++[>++++++++++<-]++>++pa...@iki.fi<+[>++++<-]>+.->+[>++++[<<--->
>-]<-]<.>>+++++++[<++++++++++>-]++++[<+++++>-]<-.>[-]>+++[>++[<<<---->>
<>>-]<-]<<.+.>[-]++[<++>-]<.++.[-]>[-]++++[<++>-]<++.>>++[>++[>-<-]<--]

Tina Hall

Dec 15, 2001, 6:30:15 PM12/15/01
Kev The Robbing wrote:
> In article <MSGID_2=3A2433=2F888.111=40fidonet_0770b059@fidone

> t.org>, Tina Hall wrote:
>
> >> hm, why that?
> >> I think that 14,15,16,17 is the best age for most things.
> >
> > Wouldn't know why, it's considered too old for some stuff,
> > and yet still too young for other stuff. Not that that
> > bothers me, when I'd want to sit in a sandbox and bake
> > sand-cakes, I'd do that even know, and bugger the people
> > thinking that's silly. :)
>
> sandbox.........

Yes. You don't like them? I remember having lots of fun there,
and the 'proper' age is usually something around 7 for that.

> > From 14 onward, over here, you can also be held responsible
> > for any crimes.
>
> wohow.....watch out......new moon tonight.........

Why? I thought criminal activities went up at full moon?

> >> 14yrs are allowed to do _much_ more things than 7yrs......
> >
> > I don't remember not being allowed to do something I wanted
> > to (but wasn't up to any mischief anyway).
>

> by the law, I mean.

There wasn't anything that interested me that was forbidden by
law either. What kind of activities could that be anyway?

Tina Hall

Dec 15, 2001, 6:30:16 PM12/15/01
Mikko Parviainen wrote:
> Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
> > What's so nice about 25?
>
> You'll know when you get old enough.

I doubt it. What makes you think so?

Not that you can say what I'll know or not when I get old
'enough', which isn't particulary specific either. What age is
old enough for you, to assume that people then gain the supposed
wisdom that 25 is a nice age?

> Me? I think 25 is the perfect age. Might be that that changes
> to 26 in six months...

Why?

I've been thinking that 7 is the perfect age for me for about 10
years, so I don't think it'll change in six months or six
years...

Hans-Joachim Elflein

Dec 16, 2001, 2:05:08 AM12/16/01
Tina Hall wrote:

>> sandbox.........
> Yes. You don't like them? I remember having lots of fun there,
> and the 'proper' age is usually something around 7 for that.

New(?) patch idea ...

You see here a sandbox. Do you want to play? [Y/n]
[y]:
You start to build an imitation of Vlad's tower -more-
You attract a large sandworm.

// symbolic code
if (wisdom > 14) {
pline ("Do you want to go for a ride? [Y/n]");
[y] ...
[n] ...
} else {
pline ("The sandworm hits");
}
[n] ...

Happy hacking, Hans

-------
You die...
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y)

Mikko Parviainen

Dec 16, 2001, 3:10:58 AM12/16/01
Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
> Mikko Parviainen wrote:
>> Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
>> > What's so nice about 25?
>>
>> You'll know when you get old enough.

> I doubt it. What makes you think so?

Empirical observation of my environment.

> Not that you can say what I'll know or not when I get old
> 'enough', which isn't particulary specific either. What age is
> old enough for you, to assume that people then gain the supposed
> wisdom that 25 is a nice age?

This is related to the following question.

>> Me? I think 25 is the perfect age. Might be that that changes
>> to 26 in six months...

> Why?

Perhaps this was too hard for you. Some hints:
My birthday is in June. I was born in 1976.

Maybe this was also too intricate for a joke. But I still have felt
like this for about 6-7 years.

> I've been thinking that 7 is the perfect age for me for about 10
> years, so I don't think it'll change in six months or six
> years...

Well, when I was seven I didn't have to think for myself a lot,
was very bored in school because I knew how to read and was
teased a lot.

Was not very fun. B-/

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 16, 2001, 4:16:19 AM12/16/01
Tina Hall wrote:

> Kev The Robbing wrote:

>> > Wouldn't know why, it's considered too old for some stuff,
>> > and yet still too young for other stuff. Not that that
>> > bothers me, when I'd want to sit in a sandbox and bake
>> > sand-cakes, I'd do that even know, and bugger the people
>> > thinking that's silly. :)
>>
>> sandbox.........
>
> Yes. You don't like them? I remember having lots of fun there,
> and the 'proper' age is usually something around 7 for that.

they are nice.

>> > From 14 onward, over here, you can also be held responsible
>> > for any crimes.
>>
>> wohow.....watch out......new moon tonight.........
>
> Why? I thought criminal activities went up at full moon?

>> > I don't remember not being allowed to do something I wanted
>> > to (but wasn't up to any mischief anyway).
>>
>> by the law, I mean.
>
> There wasn't anything that interested me that was forbidden by
> law either. What kind of activities could that be anyway?

staying out til 11pm (if parents allow) and so on.
--
The Cascader.

Tina Hall

Dec 16, 2001, 4:30:09 AM12/16/01
Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org (Tina Hall) writes:

> >What's so nice about 25?
>

> I just have always felt it was the perfect age.
> At 25, you can go anywhere and do anything, have moved to your
> own home, maybe already have a job and some money, and all of
> the adulthood things are still more or less new and exciting..

Guess that depends on individual experience then. Some adulthood
things might have been new and exiting between 17 and 19, most of
the rest wasn't very interesting at any time for me.

What do you consider adulthood things? (Just to be sure what
exactly we are talking about.)

> When I was a child, I was really frustrated because of all the
> restrictions caused by the age.

What restrictions? I might have been and undemanding and easy
child (and if that's the case, the best example of what becomes
of those childs <eg>, so be happy about any brat you (general
you) might have at home), but I really don't remember any
particular restrictions.

> At 25, I was younger than now but earning my living and
> deciding myself what I wanted to do and when. With some
> professional responsibilities, sure, but nothing unpleasant.
> Actually it was about that age when I got the assignment where
> I've had the best freedom / responsibility ratio so far :-) but
> I wasn't even thinking about that when I wrote the text above.

But that might have influenced it.

At that age, I was already deciding (possibly re-deciding) that
real life isn't half as interesting or nice as fiction, and
rather boring and only to be visited if necessary, or in a few
cases, rewarding.

> Elsewhere in this thread you mentioned sitting in the sandbox
> and baking the sand cakes.. I never really enjoyed that so
> much.

Well, doesn't have to be a sandbox, a forest is nice enough, or
just plenty of countryside. On a walk though a local public
garden with some woods, with a friend and her kids some years
ago, I was surprised that the kids weren't coming up with
anything interesting to play there... I could have had a lot of
fun there all on my own, as a kid.

> And having somebody else fill the fridge.. well, I live
> alone and the contents of MY fridge is mostly homebrewed beer.
> I'm just too lazy to care about having any real food at home.

LOL. Well, the good thing is that no one complains when I leave
the bread and just eat whatever comes on top. :) But that wasn't
really a problem as a child either.

But I do have to eat something, and cooking is just not fun, only
eating nicely cooked stuff is, but only living on crisps and
chocolate is getting boring after a while...

Tina Hall

Dec 16, 2001, 3:30:37 PM12/16/01
Hans wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:
>
> >> sandbox.........
> > Yes. You don't like them? I remember having lots of fun
> > there, and the 'proper' age is usually something around 7
> > for that.
>
> New(?) patch idea ...
>
> You see here a sandbox. Do you want to play? [Y/n]
> [y]:
> You start to build an imitation of Vlad's tower -more-

You'd have to know what it looks like first. ;)

> You attract a large sandworm.

In a little sandbox!? ;)

> // symbolic code
> if (wisdom > 14) {
> pline ("Do you want to go for a ride? [Y/n]");
> [y] ...
> [n] ...
> } else {
> pline ("The sandworm hits");
> }
> [n] ...

:) I think The check should go for 'grappling hook' (two really)
or whatwashername, in the 5th book, the girl that wasn't harmed
by them, if that's your name, they'll just sit and watch...

There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never tried
it, can you actually harm them with water?

Tina Hall

Dec 16, 2001, 3:30:39 PM12/16/01
Kev The Robbing wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:
> > Kev The Robbing wrote:
> >> Tina Hall wrote:

[not being allowed stuff at 7]

> >> by the law, I mean.
> >
> > There wasn't anything that interested me that was forbidden
> > by law either. What kind of activities could that be anyway?
>
> staying out til 11pm (if parents allow) and so on.

Where would you want to stay that the law forbids? During summer
holiday, I could stay outside (near the house) as long as it was
light, which was pretty long, long enough for me anyway.

Tina Hall

Dec 16, 2001, 3:30:41 PM12/16/01
Mikko Parviainen wrote:
> Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
> > Mikko Parviainen wrote:

> >> You'll know when you get old enough.
>
> > I doubt it. What makes you think so?
>
> Empirical observation of my environment.

Where am I part of your environment that you think to predict my
knowledge about this?

> > Not that you can say what I'll know or not when I get old
> > 'enough', which isn't particulary specific either. What age
> > is old enough for you, to assume that people then gain the
> > supposed wisdom that 25 is a nice age?
>
> This is related to the following question.

Doesn't make it any clearer. Why not give a straight answer, or
don't you have one? Just give me a number.

> >> Me? I think 25 is the perfect age. Might be that that
> >> changes to 26 in six months...
>
> > Why?
>
> Perhaps this was too hard for you. Some hints:

A hint of my own: You're really not going to get anywhere if you
keep up that condescending attitude when talking to me. Instead,
your baseless assumptions look only silly.

> My birthday is in June. I was born in 1976.

You think that your present age is the perfect one, I guessed as
much. Doesn't explain how old I have to get until you think I'll
appreciate 25, or your present age, as the best too.

Incase you missed it and think I'll have to 'get' 25 first, which
it does rather look like, but I chose to ignore that since it's a
pretty stupid thing to assume to be the same for everyone, IMAO,
I've been 25, and I didn't like it.

> Maybe this was also too intricate for a joke. But I still have
> felt like this for about 6-7 years.

That's you. Now I'd really like an explanation for the 'You'll
know when you get old enough.', as it doesn't make any sense
whatsoever, so far.

> > I've been thinking that 7 is the perfect age for me for
> > about 10 years, so I don't think it'll change in six months
> > or six years...
>
> Well, when I was seven I didn't have to think for myself a
> lot, was very bored in school because I knew how to read and
> was teased a lot.
>
> Was not very fun. B-/

That was you, here's another hint: People are different.

Hotmail

Dec 17, 2001, 1:26:30 AM12/17/01
Tina Hall wrote:
> There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never tried
> it, can you actually harm them with water?

A quick check in wizard mode reveals the awful truth: the dev team did
NOT think of everything! Throwing a potion of water at one does no more
damage than throwing anything else with the same weight at it.

--
Mark

Mikko Parviainen

Dec 17, 2001, 1:59:26 AM12/17/01
Tina Hall <Ti...@typhoon.kruemel.org> wrote:
> That was you, here's another hint: People are different.

Well, you seem to me like a spoiled 7 year old brat; that
was why I assumed you never having been 25 yet.

Do you like your life now?

V'rgo

Dec 17, 2001, 2:41:52 AM12/17/01

The Dev Team [TINDT] *does* think of everything. IIRC, water wasn't
poisonous to the worms as in 'one potion of water broken on its back
and it is dead'. One had to actually drown in in water to kill it, and
that was done only to very young worms who were small enough. Don't
try drowning a big fat mile-long sandworm -- you'd need a lake...

--
V'rgo, the #1 Pet Hater of rec.games.roguelike.nethack
and a figment of his own imagination

Hans-Joachim Elflein

Dec 17, 2001, 8:51:12 AM12/17/01
Tina Hall wrote:

>> New(?) patch idea ...
>> You see here a sandbox. Do you want to play? [Y/n]
>> [y]:
>> You start to build an imitation of Vlad's tower -more-
> You'd have to know what it looks like first. ;)

Okay, this point is yours :)

>> You attract a large sandworm.
> In a little sandbox!? ;)

I've never mentioned a *little* sandbox :))
(the whole planet is a "sandbox" :)) )

>> // symbolic code
>> if (wisdom > 14) {
>> pline ("Do you want to go for a ride? [Y/n]");
>> [y] ...

pline ("The sandworm speeds through the dungeon with you on its back");
/* An unleashed sandworm acts like 'confused' */
if (!mtmp->mleashed)
pline ("But you cannot control the direction");

/* Your sandworm is now a tame monster, so he/she will fight for you. */
/* We have to insert/modify some code in mhitm.c */

>> [n] ...
pline ("After a piercing gaze the sandworm leaves you");

>> } else {
>> pline ("The sandworm hits");
>> }
>> [n] ...

You ("smell spice!");

> :) I think The check should go for 'grappling hook' (two really)
> or whatwashername, in the 5th book, the girl that wasn't harmed
> by them, if that's your name, they'll just sit and watch...

if (!strcmp(plname, "washername")
pline ("The sandworm looks at you seductively"); :)

> There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never tried
> it, can you actually harm them with water?

No, sorry.
But what about a chance (eg 1:10) that a sandworm carries a potion of holy
water?

Happy hacking, Hans

Tina Hall

Dec 18, 2001, 1:00:29 AM12/18/01
V'rgo wrote:
> Hotmail wrote:
> > Tina Hall wrote:
> >> There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never
> >> tried it, can you actually harm them with water?
> >
> > A quick check in wizard mode reveals the awful truth: the
> > dev team did NOT think of everything! Throwing a potion of
> > water at one does no more damage than throwing anything else
> > with the same weight at it.
>
> The Dev Team [TINDT] *does* think of everything. IIRC, water
> wasn't poisonous to the worms as in 'one potion of water
> broken on its back and it is dead'.

But a potion should hurt it, also, it should lose Hp on levels
with lots of water because of the moisture (let's ignore that any
decent dungeon is damp anyway).

> One had to actually drown in in water to kill it,

Not drown. Water just kills them, that's why Dune was so dry
(something else kept it away).

> and that was done only to very young worms who were small
> enough. Don't try drowning a big fat mile-long sandworm --
> you'd need a lake...

Dropping it in a river will do. ;)

Tina Hall

Dec 18, 2001, 1:00:52 AM12/18/01
Hans wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote:

> >> You attract a large sandworm.
> > In a little sandbox!? ;)
> I've never mentioned a *little* sandbox :))
> (the whole planet is a "sandbox" :)) )

The planet, yes, but not the dungeon... :)

> >> // symbolic code
> >> if (wisdom > 14) {
> >> pline ("Do you want to go for a ride? [Y/n]");
> >> [y] ...
> pline ("The sandworm speeds through the dungeon with you on
> its back"); /* An unleashed sandworm acts like 'confused' */
> if (!mtmp->mleashed)
> pline ("But you cannot control the direction");

What does pline mean?

> /* Your sandworm is now a tame monster, so he/she will fight
> for you. */

I'd object to that, you can't tame them, just ride them if you
manage to get on them without being eaten or rolled over...

> >> [n] ...
> pline ("After a piercing gaze the sandworm leaves you");

A piercing gaze with what? ;)

> > really) or whatwashername, in the 5th book, the girl that
> > wasn't harmed by them, if that's your name, they'll just sit
> > and watch...
> if (!strcmp(plname, "washername")
> pline ("The sandworm looks at you seductively"); :)

LOL. But again, with what?

> > There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never
> > tried it, can you actually harm them with water?
> No, sorry.
> But what about a chance (eg 1:10) that a sandworm carries a
> potion of holy water?

Wouldn't call that holy water, but if you'd implement a potion of
spice, one should be able to create them if you wet a worm
(corpse).

Not that such a potion would be much use, IMO the only fitting
effects would be insta-death for male characters (unless poison
resistant I guess, then no effect) and confused stunned temporary
'blessed' enlightenenment and some turns of clairvoyance (and if
you remove the conf and stun, the other effects would stop too)
for female characters.

Hans-Joachim Elflein

Dec 18, 2001, 3:26:57 PM12/18/01
Tina Hall wrote about "sand(boxes)"

>> > In a little sandbox!? ;)
>> I've never mentioned a *little* sandbox :))
>> (the whole planet is a "sandbox" :)) )
> The planet, yes, but not the dungeon... :)

What about having "The Elemental Plane of Sandboxes"? :)

>> pline ("The sandworm speeds through the dungeon with you on
>> its back");
>>/* An unleashed sandworm acts like 'confused' */
>> if (!mtmp->mleashed)
>> pline ("But you cannot control the direction");
> What does pline mean?

"pline" is one the basic text-output-functions in NH.
This function puts the messages in the bottom line on the screen (eg: "You
see here a sandworm corpse. Eat it? [Y/y]" :)

>> /* Your sandworm is now a tame monster, so he/she will fight
>> for you. */
> I'd object to that, you can't tame them, just ride them if you
> manage to get on them without being eaten or rolled over...

Sorry, I didn't meant "really tame": *You* control the direction and (s)he
will fight every monster (instead of you)
(it might be very effective) <g>

>> pline ("After a piercing gaze the sandworm leaves you");
> A piercing gaze with what? ;)

If the worm puts its mouth in your direction, it might "look like a look".

>> > whatwashername, in the 5th book, the girl that
>> > wasn't harmed by them, if that's your name, they'll just sit
>> > and watch...
>> if (!strcmp(plname, "washername")
>> pline ("The sandworm looks at you seductively"); :)
> LOL. But again, with what?

See above <g>
Okay, okay. But I'm sure I really would like this message :))

>> > There are long worms (including teeth) in Nethack... Never
>> > tried it, can you actually harm them with water?
>> No, sorry.
>> But what about a chance (eg 1:10) that a sandworm carries a
>> potion of holy water?
> Wouldn't call that holy water, but if you'd implement a potion of
> spice, one should be able to create them if you wet a worm
> (corpse).

Hmmmmmmm:

Why "wet a worm (corpse)"?

* What do you want to dip? [a - a sandworm corpse]
* What do you want to dip into? [b - a potion of spice]
* Do you really want to dip the sandworm corpse into a potion of spice?[Y/y]
* This might be in interesting reaction ...
:))

> Not that such a potion would be much use, IMO the only fitting
> effects would be insta-death for male characters (unless poison
> resistant I guess, then no effect)

Oops: that's a *very* important point!
But what if the (male) character is "youknowhisname"?

> and confused stunned temporary
> 'blessed' enlightenenment and some turns of clairvoyance (and if
> you remove the conf and stun, the other effects would stop too)
> for female characters.

I agree : this special potion will only be good for female characters!

But what happens if:
+ you are a male character
+ you polymorph into a female one
+ you drink this special potion
and (after some time)
+ you polymorph back into a male character?

Sigh! It's very simple to change the code of NH (eg: turning an Owlbear
into an Oilbear ...) but it is much work to extend(?) it...

Happay hacking, Hans
(still only 100011690 EXP points ...)

Tina Hall

Dec 19, 2001, 2:30:11 AM12/19/01
Hans wrote:
> Tina Hall wrote about "sand(boxes)"

> >> (the whole planet is a "sandbox" :)) )

> > The planet, yes, but not the dungeon... :)
> What about having "The Elemental Plane of Sandboxes"? :)

:) I don't think so...

> > What does pline mean?
> "pline" is one the basic text-output-functions in NH.

Ah, thenks.

> This function puts the messages in the bottom line on the
> screen (eg: "You see here a sandworm corpse. Eat it? [Y/y]"
> :)

:) Bottom? I have them at the top, but doesn't matter... :)

> > I'd object to that, you can't tame them, just ride them if
> > you manage to get on them without being eaten or rolled
> > over...
> Sorry, I didn't meant "really tame": *You* control the
> direction and (s)he will fight every monster (instead of you)
> (it might be very effective) <g>

Until you run across a water elemental... 'The sandworm dissolves
beneath you, little poisonous puddles appear all over the floor,
countless sand trout scuttle down the bug-holes. The water
elemental is having a great time!' ;)

And of course, all fountains dry up, and all water is drained to
below the bottom level of the brach, within a short while.

> > A piercing gaze with what? ;)
> If the worm puts its mouth in your direction, it might "look
> like a look".

If a big round hot hole can have a look, it might. ;)

> >> pline ("The sandworm looks at you seductively"); :)
> > LOL. But again, with what?
> See above <g>

The look in itself is quite hard to imagine, now add the
seductively and anyone who can picture that would need immediate
help (from the friendly guys with the nice hug-me jackets). ;)

> Okay, okay. But I'm sure I really would like this message :))

:) Sitting giggling in a corner (in a nicely padded room) for the
rest of your life?

> >> But what about a chance (eg 1:10) that a sandworm carries a
> >> potion of holy water?
> > Wouldn't call that holy water, but if you'd implement a
> > potion of spice, one should be able to create them if you
> > wet a worm (corpse).
> Hmmmmmmm:
>
> Why "wet a worm (corpse)"?

Because you'd have trouble picking one up for dipping. Pouring
water over it would be more convenient.

> * What do you want to dip? [a - a sandworm corpse]
> * What do you want to dip into? [b - a potion of spice]
> * Do you really want to dip the sandworm corpse into a potion
> of spice?[Y/y] * This might be in interesting reaction ...
> :))

Why that? The spice is what you're supposed to get...

> > Not that such a potion would be much use, IMO the only
> > fitting effects would be insta-death for male characters
> > (unless poison resistant I guess, then no effect)
> Oops: that's a *very* important point!
> But what if the (male) character is "youknowhisname"?

You'd just drop unconcious and get eaten by the next monster that
stumbles around the corner... Scant chance that anyone finds you
and drags you off and gets someone to help, really. :)

> > and confused stunned temporary
> > 'blessed' enlightenenment and some turns of clairvoyance
> > (and if you remove the conf and stun, the other effects
> > would stop too) for female characters.
> I agree : this special potion will only be good for female
> characters!
>
> But what happens if:
> + you are a male character
> + you polymorph into a female one
> + you drink this special potion
> and (after some time)
> + you polymorph back into a male character?

If the effect's not worn off by then, same reaction as drinking
it, IMO.

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 19, 2001, 11:33:38 AM12/19/01
In article <1008423929.5815.0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Chi wrote>

> /oD and touches of death are A Bad Thing, but hacking someone to death
> with an axe and sacrificing their still warm, bloodied corpses to pagan
> gods (or alternatively feasting on the raw remains) is ok??

no, but instadeath is a bit tooooo rude:)

> (And what about scrolls of genocide?)

does EVERY kid know what "genocide" means?

--
-- Kev The Robbing-Maniac
-- Who Is Writing The Slash'EM Developer's Guide

-- The Only Reason Why I Have Not Finished Earth Elementalists Yet Is That
-- I Also Documentate The Whole Process.

Richard Bos

Dec 20, 2001, 5:20:55 AM12/20/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac <m...@aon.at> wrote:

> In article <1008423929.5815.0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Chi wrote>
> > /oD and touches of death are A Bad Thing, but hacking someone to death
> > with an axe and sacrificing their still warm, bloodied corpses to pagan
> > gods (or alternatively feasting on the raw remains) is ok??
>
> no, but instadeath is a bit tooooo rude:)

Ruder than hacking someone to bits slowly?

> > (And what about scrolls of genocide?)
>
> does EVERY kid know what "genocide" means?

They will after playing NetHack.

Richard

Kev The Robbing-Maniac

Dec 21, 2001, 8:55:18 AM12/21/01
In article <3c21b7eb...@news.tiscali.nl>, Richard Bos wrote:
>> no, but instadeath is a bit tooooo rude:)
>
> Ruder than hacking someone to bits slowly?

yes.:)

>> does EVERY kid know what "genocide" means?
>
> They will after playing NetHack.

or not --

Kassandra Velez

Dec 21, 2001, 1:39:02 PM12/21/01
Kev The Robbing-Maniac said into the tin can on that end of the string:

>In article <3c21b7eb...@news.tiscali.nl>, Richard Bos wrote:
(there was another attribution here--who snipped it?)

>>> does EVERY kid know what "genocide" means?
>>
>> They will after playing NetHack.
>
>or not --

Why not? They'll certainly be asking when they find those scrolls.

Kev The Warlock

Dec 26, 2001, 3:54:51 AM12/26/01
In article <u270e6...@corp.supernews.com>, Kassandra Velez wrote:
>>or not --
>
> Why not? They'll certainly be asking when they find those scrolls.

If they ask me, I could run away easily.
(but I won't)