theta's speed ascension - 5456 turns?!?

ste...@nycap.rr.com

Nov 30, 2007, 9:14:37 AM11/30/07
Holy cow! Since behiker57w posted a 9142-turn game, and only beat my
speed game by 90 or so turns, I was casually trying to post a better
mark. Then I looked this morning and saw theta ascended in 5456
turns. OMG!

Hey, theta, how about describing your fastest (ever?) ascent? Was
there some early wishes or a really good bones file? Or are you just
that good?

Congratulations on an incredibly fast game.

--
steveyo

James Willson

Nov 30, 2007, 12:08:45 PM11/30/07

Minetown bones file had an ascention kit. :)
(Three graves on that level, all from spuds)

Should be recorded by the devnull system, for those interested.

My record without early bones/wishing wand is 7726, here
http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Theta/2007-05-06.02:21:20.ttyrec.bz2

Christian Bressler

Nov 30, 2007, 12:16:30 PM11/30/07
ste...@nycap.rr.com wrote:
: [Holy cow! theta ascended in 5456 turns. OMG!]

: Hey, theta, how about describing your fastest (ever?) ascent? Was
: there some early wishes or a really good bones file? Or are you just
: that good?

Theta (James Willson) is just that good, at least in my unworthy opinion.

: Congratulations on an incredibly fast game.
Congtrats too, and complete the monty please.

: --
: steveyo
Marvin

hh...@thinksystem.net

Nov 30, 2007, 12:51:50 PM11/30/07
On Nov 30, 12:08 pm, James Willson<jk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> stev...@nycap.rr.com wrote:
> >Holy cow! Since behiker57w posted a 9142-turn game, and only beat my
> >speed game by 90 or so turns, I was casually trying to post a better
> >mark. Then I looked this morning and saw theta ascended in 5456
> >turns. OMG!
>
> Minetown bones file had an ascention kit. :)
> (Three graves on that level, all from spuds)

OK, I have finally picked my jaw back up again after seeing that
number of turns for an ascenesion.

Now I want to know: what the heck was in Minetown that was able to
kill off at least one well-equiped adventurer and two others?

My guess: a chameleon posing as a Minotaur. That's what ended one game
of mine. (And nearly a second when it left a bones file.)

(A second guess is the imfamous gnome with a death wand, but I would
have expected a well-equiped adventurer to have reflection or magic
resistance.)
--
-Harold Hill

James Willson

Nov 30, 2007, 1:24:40 PM11/30/07

"hh...@thinksystem.net" <hh...@thinksystem.net> wrote:

>Now I want to know: what the heck was in Minetown that was able to
>kill off at least one well-equiped adventurer and two others?

A priest, his own ghost, and a grue.

Linden

Nov 30, 2007, 1:36:33 PM11/30/07
hh...@thinksystem.net wrote:

> My guess: a chameleon posing as a Minotaur. That's what ended one game
> of mine. (And nearly a second when it left a bones file.)

> -Harold Hill

Thank you for mentioning this.

I lost a promising Valk to a Minotaur in the mines last night.
(Promising for me -- still working on getting a star by the end of
today.) I'd never seen one outside of my short stint below Medusa's
level two years ago.

Now I suspect it might have been a chameleon.

--
Linden

Rast

Dec 1, 2007, 9:43:04 AM12/1/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:08:45 GMT,
James Willson (jk...@yahoo.com) wrote:

> ste...@nycap.rr.com wrote:
> >Holy cow! Since behiker57w posted a 9142-turn game, and only beat my
> >speed game by 90 or so turns, I was casually trying to post a better
> >mark. Then I looked this morning and saw theta ascended in 5456
> >turns. OMG!

Congrats theta!

> My record without early bones/wishing wand is 7726, here
> http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/Theta/2007-05-06.02:21:20.ttyrec.bz2

Wow. I'm going to have to watch that later.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Henry J Cobb

Dec 2, 2007, 1:21:33 AM12/2/07

Zap it with just about any wand.

Sleep is nice.

Then kill it before it gets all lichy on you.

-HJC

hh...@thinksystem.net

Dec 3, 2007, 10:15:01 AM12/3/07

A grue you say? Well, that is a lesson for you kids ... always keep a
have a source of light when exploring the Dungeons of Doom.

--
-Harold Hill