SLASH (version 3) uploaded yet again

Tom Proudfoot

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
SLASH release #3

Currently in:

ftp.uwp.edu pub/incoming/games/rpg

Please! Someone tell me another ftp site that 1. works and 2. allows
immediate downloads. Sites that fail these tests are wuarchive (currently
down), ftp.cdrom.com (screens uploads) and nic.funet.fi (also screens
uploads).

Anyway, for now, it's on ftp.uwp.edu.

The files are:

slash3.zip -- binaries for release #3
slashsrc.zip -- source code for release #3
slashsr2.zip -- source code changed from release #2 to #3

If you have been playing SLASH and want to keep the current high score table,
copy the file "record" to something else, and after unzipping the binaries,
copy it back. Otherwise, it'll overwrite your scores.

Saved games and bones from release #1 or #2 will work fine.

Things fixed in release #3:

Bugs
----
* Fixed a bug with regeneration.
* Won't allow you to put worn items into the quiver.
* Fireballs will burn away slime.
* The beholder and catoblepas's death gazes do not affect undead creatures.

Adjustments
-----------
* Added release number to intro screen.
* Added "Levitate" to bottom line when levitating.
* Fixed up some of the special levels a little.
* Made monster-carried items a little rarer.

Things that were fixed in release #2:

* The source is available, and named slashsrc.zip.

* If there are more bugs uncovered, the exes will continue as slash3, slash4,
slash 5, etc. The source will consist of the affected files only, though,
and will be named slashsr2, slashsr3, etc.

Important things (bugs)
-----------------------
* Would crash (divide by zero) after level 24... now fixed.
* Special warnings (like with Sting or Undead Slayers) fixed to show
right monsters.
* The beholder had a "head". Not now...
* Engraving with a wand of fireballs gave the wrong message --
"this is a wand of fire!"
* Included dos4gw.exe in zip file.

Less important things (adjustments)
-----------------------------------
* Pets won't attack gas spores very often.
* Quicklings armor class worsened considerably. (easier to hit them)
* Changed the container interface back to standard NH 3.1.1.
* Confirmed that Magicbane seems to work ok.
* Made a message for the wand of slow monster.

Tom

--
Tom Proudfoot pro...@ccnet.com

Patricia Dutton

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
: > ftp.uwp.edu pub/incoming/games/rpg

: Will Slash work with CharHack? I'm not sure that I could go back
: to @s and ;s, etc.

Yes it will work with CharHack--I've got it doing so... of course the
graves and toilets will not come up quite right

Tom Proudfoot

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
In article <3135...@beachyhd.demon.co.uk>, <Ad...@beachyhd.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In a message of 26 Feb 96 Tom Proudfoot wrote to All:
>
> TP> * The source is available, and named slashsrc.zip.
>
>Have you tried compiling this on anything other than (I assume) MSDOS?

Nope. The only system-specific file I altered, though, was wintty.c, for
the title screen. (As far as I can remember, though)

Jeffrey Robertson

Mar 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/4/96
In article <4hcj7h$4...@gauss.cs.jhu.edu>,
Ken Arromdee <arro...@gauss.cs.jhu.edu> wrote:
>In article <4ha0uj$d...@gina.zfn.uni-bremen.de>,
>Ronald Neumann <e1...@alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>>[runesword damage is] (i.e. 1d4 against small,1d6 against large monsters
>
>Um, in vanilla Nethack, runeswords are 2d4 small, 1d6+1 large. The object
>structures only hold one data value each for small and large damage, so
>something like "1d6+1" is specified by sticking a 6 in there and then
>separately adding 1 later on.

My reading of the sources (while preparing a comparative-weapons
spoiler) led to me to the same values Ronald cites. Comments in
the code suggest that these values are bugs. (ie, the comments
refer to different values) Can you confirm your statement, please?
--
-------------------------------------+----------------+-----------------
Jeffrey Robertson | je...@bnr.ca | BNR, Ottawa

Andrew Schoonmaker

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
e1...@alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de (Ronald Neumann) wrote:

[snippage by SLASH's author]
>I've played SLASH for two weeks or so now,and i like it,but there are a
>couple of annoying features,and i fear game balance is broken:
>1.You NEED an enchanted weapon to off beasties at Quest level depth and
>deeper;that's o.k. as it is but all clases save 3 or 4 start without a
>single enchanted weapon,and getting weapons enchanted is shit-hard as
>enchant weapon scrolls seem to be about as rare as in NH+ and the Town
>is not guaranteed and there is not one shop in it you can rely on being
>there.NH+ required enchanted weapons,but it also provided an enchanted
>weapon for startup and a guaranteed weapons store (SLASH doesn't even
>feature a guaranteed altar before the Valley of the Dead.)
This, right here, sums up my problems with the game. My best
character so far, a Samurai, managed to do the quest (have the level
restrictions been changed? When I started the quest, I was level 12)
and get back into the main dungeon, but the quest was a serious pain.
I had to keep swapping back and forth between the blessed rustproof
Excalibur (+0) for damage, and my blessed +1 katana for the stalkers.
The only altars I found all game were one to Raiden, unguarded early
in the DoD, which would ordinarily have been enough, but since
converting altars is very close to instantly fatal for low level
characters, I didn't really do much with it. The other was a temple
to Raiden, and the only benefit I got from that was some intrinsic AC.
My current problem is early bones levels. I have had two Ice Mages in
succession die on the same bones level on Dlevel 2, and between the
ghosts (which I can't hit and which seem to ignore blasts from my
trusty wand of cold) and the loose Baby White Dragons named Ryo-oh-ki
(my catname), this level is starting to look VERY ugly.
[more ranting about game balance which I wholeheartedly agree with
snipped]

-Andrew
(Nethack code forthcoming, as soon as I can get around to it...)
--
[This space unintentionally left filled]
Andrew Schoonmaker (ne...@eskimo.com)

Kenneth A Arromdee

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
In article <4hfbj0$7...@bmerhc5e.bnr.ca> je...@bnr.ca (Jeffrey Robertson) writes:
>My reading of the sources (while preparing a comparative-weapons
>spoiler) led to me to the same values Ronald cites. Comments in
>the code suggest that these values are bugs. (ie, the comments
>refer to different values) Can you confirm your statement, please?

Mea culpa.

I was using a version which contains patches that are not in the standard
3.1 distribution. Sorry.