YAAP: Rhiannon-Arc-Dwa-Fem, no-genocide

funcrunch

Dec 26, 2006, 12:39:14 AM12/26/06
I started this particular game over a year ago, as a challenge from my
husband to win without genociding any species. I normally take out hL;R
so soon that I hardly see them in the game, so this was more difficult.
But I wanted to win with a dwarf also, having never played that race
before (I won with a human Arc in a previous version).

Since tonight was the first time I played the game since July, I don't
remember many details, but I can say I ascended with six unused amulets
of life saving (I did use one up earlier, but I don't remember the
circumstances), +6 Grayswandir (dual-weaponed with +6 silver saber),
and Excalibur in my bag. Nurses and incubi helped boost my HP to 374,
and I ended with a -39 AC (silver dragon scale, helm of brilliance,
Hawaiian shirt, cloak of displacement, speed boots (-38 AC when I wore
levitation boots), gauntlets of dexterity - all +4 or +5 except the
levitation boots). I was nervous about the krakens and giant eels in
the moat around the Wizard tower, but the force bolt spell did a
surprisingly good job once I maxed my strength and traded gauntlets of
power for gauntlets of dexterity.

Rodney didn't bother me much; the two or so times the wand of death
didn't kill him, Grayswandir did in short order. The only summoned
nasty was Yeenoghu, and I was surprised how quickly Gray took him down.
The most annoying part after getting the Amulet was the constant
"mysterious force" teleports down in Gehennom; I guess I'm not used to
playing lawful characters.

Used up a last wish on a cursed scroll of gold detection (after I tried
to write one and realized I hadn't actually ID'd it yet), wrote two
more and found the endgame portals easily. Took Death out quickly on
Astral, never encountered Famine or Pestilence (thank god/dess!) at all
as the first altar I came upon was the right one.

Final score: 5177970
3364 creatures vanquished.

Rhiannon the Collector St:18/** Dx:24 Co:20 In:20 Wi:20 Ch: 16 Lawful
Astral Plane $:0 HP:374(374) Pw:133(133) AC:-38 Xp:28/80021320 T:75152
Burdened

Flavio Cardone (wafna)

Jan 2, 2007, 8:08:21 AM1/2/07
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:39:14 -0800, funcrunch wrote:

> I started this particular game over a year ago, as a challenge from my
> husband to win without genociding any species. I normally take out hL;R

Now, if *I* had a /oW, I would certainly wish for a wife who plays Nethack :-)

Lucky him and congrats on the YAAP!

Flavio

Message has been deleted

funcrunch

Jan 2, 2007, 5:45:59 PM1/2/07

Aww thanks :-) My now-ex-husband introduced me to Nethack way back when
we started dating in '93... my current husband would rather play Unreal
Tournament :-P

Flavio Cardone

Jan 4, 2007, 4:34:00 PM1/4/07
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:32:25 +0200, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> "Flavio Cardone (wafna)" writes:
>
>> Now, if *I* had a /oW, I would certainly wish for
>> a wife who plays Nethack :-)
>

> I think my wife is slowly getting the hang of the game.. she first tried
> it last summer.
> (Yeah, we have only been married since July 2005 and lived together since
> February 2005. She hadn't heard of Nethack before that.)

since we have the nurse, we could have the wife:

The wife hits you --more--
you suddenly notice you have no gold! /or/
you suddenly notice your gems are gone!

You hear the wife's nagging --more--
your head aches painfully!

... and to be fair, the husband:

The husband hits you --more--
you suddenly notice your potions are gone! (looking for booze)

You hear the husband's excuse --more--
you feel more stupid!

... of course, in this day and age, it would only be fair to have
gay, lesbian and bisexual characters (and we would only find out
when meeting foocubi or with enlightenment):

#chat
Your Valkyrie is lesbian! --more--
the incubus gets angry!

oops... :-)

-- or --

...Valkyrie meets an incubus...
Shall I remove your gloves?
(...)
(...)
and the lucky Valkyrie ends up gaining one XL
...Valkyrie then sees a succubus, gets ready to fight, but...
Shall I remove your gloves?
(...)
(...)
and the unlucky unclothed Valkyrie gets zapped by a goblin with a /oDeath :-)

also the "you feel like a new []" could change sexual behaviour. That
would introduce something new in the game. Wouldn't make IMHO a big
change, but it would be a little thing we would also have to take care of.

Flavio