YATAP (10 conducts) (long and spoily)

Brad Sagarin

Nov 9, 2005, 2:03:21 PM11/9/05
Whew! This was one game I was happy to see behind me.

I started with a goal of 10 conducts (foodless, illiterate, weaponless,
genoless, polyless, polyselfless, wishless). I decided to play a
chaotic monk because monks get all the important intrinsics as they
level up (helpful for foodless) and they're reasonably effective with
weaponless attacks. Their -20 to hit penalty with body armor is a pain,
though. I chose chaotic for easier altar conversion.

Things started looking good when I found a big jewelry store with lots
of rings on level 3. I then found a sink four levels later. I dropped
$200 rings into sink until one was regurgitated. Slow digestion. Cool.
That's the first critical step to doing foodless. I sink IDed other
rings that I had duplicates of. I had lots of useful ones including
teleport control, poly control, and conflict. Unfortunately, my only
copy of free action slid right down the drain before I IDed slow
digestion. I was missing levitation, but that could wait.

I did sokoban (amulet) and found a sack lying around somewhere. There
were two more sacks in Minetown. I could really use a bag of holding.
But this was better than nothing.

I put on a ring of poly control (to avoid accidental loss of polyself)
and headed to Minesend (catacombs). I used teleport control to avoid
level teleporting when getting the luckstone.

I credit cloned to drain the shopkeepers' purses and (carefully) dug
out vaults to build up some $$$ for donations. Donated to the Minetown
priest for AC 1.

There were a number of altars in the main dungeon, which was
convenient.

I found the portal to Ludios in a vault. Ludios could be useful for
getting better armor and possibly gray dragon scales. I went to Ludios
and used conflict on the zoo. A cockatrice took out most of the
monsters. I took out the cockatrice and used the corpse to stone the
army. A wand of striking yielded 24 pages of items in the doorway. Ack.
I pet tested armor for a while but didn't find anything of use. This is
really tedious.

I took out Croesus with conflict, gathered $$$, and headed back to
Minetown. I donated for another 2 AC (naked -1).

As a tease, the RNG gave me a +0 helm of telepathy (I was using a +3
orcish helm) and +0 gauntlets of power (I was using +2 leather gloves).
I got silver dragon scales but not gray dragon scales. My weak AC
(~-11) and lack of MR were making life difficult as I tried to descend
further.

I needed to do something about the lack of AC. One option was pudding
farming. I'm not proud of this. But I wasn't sure what else to do while
maintaining the conducts.

I found a good level with two existing boulders and an altar next to a
wall. And I had one blessed scroll of scare monster (helpful when you
can't engrave Elbereth). I had no stethoscope and no method of healing
puddings. So there'd be a lot of waiting for them to heal on their own.
Also, I needed to reduce my luck by 7 points (to 3 intrinsic + 3
luckstone). This maximizes the chances of protection and zeros the
chances of receiving a spellbook or being crowned. Repeatedly squeezing
past a boulder in Sokoban took care of the luck.

My goal was a good intrinsic AC and high enough HP to take out Master
Kaen. That'd give me usable magic resistance until I wake Rodney. I
hoped that a cloak of MR would show up by then.

I kicked a sink a few levels above the farm until it produced a black
pudding, dug some holes, and split the pudding a couple of times. One
fell down a hole. I walked down a level, split the pudding, and then
spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to get the puddings to drop
to the next level. I gave up eventually and continued on. I'm not sure
why the pudding seemed ready to jump from the first level but not after
that. Do they learn?

I carefully engrave tested my wands and then zapped the unidentified
ones at corpses. None were turn undead. Sigh. That would have made it
easy to transport a pudding to the farm.

My downward progress was stopped at Medusa when a titan summoned a
master mind flayer. I went back up.

I decided to try all but last level of the quest (I was definitely not
ready for Master Kaen). I found a polytrap on level below the quest
home. Cool.

I magic whistled a pet horse till he turned into a black pudding. Then
I stupidly walked into the trap. Fortunately, I was wearing a ring of
poly control just in case. Lost two levels as a bonus (as well as
losing the only known polytrap, which was worse).

Oh well. My pet black pudding and I headed to the farm. I left him on
the level so he would go feral. I came back when he was peaceful, split
him with a key, and left the level for 400 turns. I returned to split
the puddings again, left for 400 more turns, and returned to start
farming.

Pudding farming isn't as tedious as I thought it would be. Maybe it's
the intermittent rewards. Pet testing the Ludios army's gear was a lot
worse.

My goal was a -99 naked AC. -100 seemed excessive. ;-)

You've got to pay careful attention while farming. #offering at the
wrong time could increase luck, which would be annoying. A two-point
increase (which Wizard Mode testing suggests is what you get by
sacrificing black puddings) would start getting spellbooks. A
three-point increase would risk getting Crowned, which wouldn't be
devastating at this point, but it would be annoying. I had two wands of
polymorph, so I could have switched to polymorphing to recover from
hunger.

#praying at the wrong time would suck big time. Last thing I needed to
do was anger my chaotic god.

I disciplined myself to always leave the altar after reconciliation.

I picked up a towel from a pudding death drop. I wouldn't say no to a
cloak of magic resistance, a bag of holding, or a shield of reflection,
but I'm not going to wait for them. Naked AC -99 and I'm outta here.

#
--|-------
|........| -----
#.........| #$##)...|
###|...$....| # |)%..##
# |...$>...| ### #....| # ------
### -|-------- # #|...| ###|....|
---------------- # ## ### #----- #.(...|
---------------- ---.-#######......|# #
------
| -#######.-|.-.- # 3
3#3333`|
----- #
333333`P@

333333-

Eit_brad the Student of Waters St:18 Dx:18 Co:18 In:11 Wi:18 Ch:6
Chaotic
Dlvl:11 $:0 HP:1110(1110) Pw:114(114) AC:-99 Xp:16/372603 T:76317
Burdened

Clad in nothing but her faith (well, and a +0 oilskin cloak, a -1 pair
of speed boots, a thoroughly rusty thoroughly corroded +0 pair of
gauntlets of power, and a greased thoroughly rusty thoroughly corroded
+0 helm of telepathy), she headed off to face Master Kaen.

I slogged through a sea of black puddings to dilute a pile of useless
potions. I slogged back to the altar and my stash to get organized.

I was actually nervous heading down to Master Kaen's level. I had an AC
of -100 for Huan Ti's sake! But I didn't have a ring of free action,
and I imagined a series of paralysis spells coupled with Master Kaen's
legendary fists of fury.

The first zap from my wand of sleep put him to sleep. Lots of punches
later, Master Kaen was toast. He never even woke up.

I headed on. At some point, an angel dropped a shield of reflection, so
I switched "oR to "oLS. Why not?

I still needed another source of magic resistance, though.

I found gray dragon scales. Not ideal, as I miss a fair amount of the
time with the -20 penalty to hit. Nevertheless, backup MR seemed
essential, because Rodney has a habit of stealing quest artifacts
during long fights.

I got the candelabrum, woke Rodney, zapped a wand of death, and got the
book. While slogging back through the wizard's tower, Rodney showed up.
I emptied my wand of death to no avail. Then Rodney double troubled.
What a pain! I finally took them both out. But most of my stuff was
cursed. I pressed on anyway and managed to do the ritual, but I had run
out of holy water. I used a level teleport trap to head back to my
stash to replenish supplies and uncurse everything.

Things got very ugly at the altar. Do prayer timeouts increase
dramatically after you wake the wizard? Rodney showed up and started
summoning lots of monsters. I had shattered some mirrors to reduce my
luck in an attempt to get my stuff uncursed while avoiding crowning.
But now I couldn't hit him due to the gray dragon scales. Ack!

Rodney summoned a bunch of arch-liches. I had conflict on, but Rodney
and the arch-liches seemed to be surviving.

Finally I killed a cockatrice, grabbed the corpse, and decided to try a
risky maneuver. Rodney had stolen the Eyes, so my only magic resistance
was the gray dragon scales. I dropped a scroll of scare monster, took
off the scales, and managed to stone Rodney before he used the touch of
death. I did have an amulet of life saving, but it was still
nervewracking.

I walked down to the Valley killing priests along the way. I was hoping
for a cloak of magic resistance, but it was not to be. I found a level
teleporter a couple of levels below the Valley. I teleported to the
Sanctum (landing on the left of the level, which was convenient). I
grabbed the amulet, quaffed a cursed potion of gain level, and started
the ascent. The mysterious force seemed determined to deposit me on
levels with arch-liches, so I spent a lot of time slogging to the
stairs. I found a crystal ball at one point but decided not to bother
dragging it up. With no bag of holding, I would have been burdened, and
with an intelligence of 14, using a crystal ball on the Planes would
have been risky.

I grabbed cockatrice corpses on the way up, which made the occasional
Rodney visit a lot more pleasant. The last one rotted away before
Earth, but I had found a wand of death somewhere along the way. I hoped
it still had some charges.

Earth was fairly straightforward. I dug to the caverns and used a wand
of secret door detection to find the portal. Air was easy with my
ridiculous AC. Fire wasn't bad. Water was a pain, but I eventually
stumbled onto the portal.

On Astral, I took off my gray dragon scales. I don't think Rodney ever
shows up on Astral (I spent a lot of time there during the 2003
tournament), so I figured the Eyes were a safe form of magic
resistance. That made open hand combat more effective. I headed towards
Death's altar, but it was neutral. I went from hungry to weak, so I
polyselfed to restore hunger.

I headed towards Pestilence's altar. My wand of death had enough
charges to take Pestilence out twice, and the altar was chaotic.

There is an altar to Huan Ti (chaotic) here.

A---------
|.......|
@|...@...|@ ------
--..---------
|A@|.......| @| - --
--...|.......|
|. ----|---- .| -
---%.%%|.......|
|......A......||1
%$%$%%%_)%%%_...|
---@@...N...--- -
%---....|.......|
-----A----- -- --
--...|.......|
a@% @ ----)----
--..---------
14@541 -------- $ |
11 1 | % %% | ---------
-- -------
- -- |
---)---- ---

------------
Eit_brad the Student of Winds St:25 Dx:18 Co:16 In:14 Wi:18 Ch:8
Chaotic
Astral Plane $:0 HP:1457(1457) Pw:146(146) AC:-100 Exp:22

[Note: half the map above was reconstructed by hand because my SSH
client wouldn't copy the whole screen, so a couple of the walls might
be in the wrong place]

What do you want to sacrifice? [uZ or ?*]

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Huan Ti...
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
The voice of Huan Ti rings out: "Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...

Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)

Amulets
h - a cursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
v - an uncursed amulet of life saving
U - a cursed amulet of life saving
Armor
B - an uncursed +0 set of gray dragon scales
C - an uncursed thoroughly burnt +0 oilskin cloak (being worn)
D - an uncursed thoroughly burnt -1 pair of speed boots (being worn)
E - an uncursed thoroughly rusty thoroughly corroded +0 pair of
gauntlets of p
F - an uncursed greased thoroughly rusty thoroughly corroded +0 helm
of telepa
G - an uncursed +0 shield of reflection (being worn)
Comestibles
Z - a cursed lizard corpse
Scrolls
z - a blessed scroll of scare monster
Potions
k - 3 blessed diluted potions of full healing
y - 3 potions of holy water
Rings
o - an uncursed ring of polymorph control (on left hand)
x - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
H - an uncursed ring of conflict
J - an uncursed +1 ring of increase damage
V - an uncursed ring of levitation
Wands
b - a wand of teleportation (0:7)
f - a wand of create monster (0:11)
m - a wand of polymorph (0:1)
p - a wand of polymorph (0:7)
r - a cursed wand of fire (0:0)
s - a cursed wand of fire (0:5)
A - a cursed wand of magic missile (0:4)
I - a cursed wand of striking (0:1)
K - a cursed wand of teleportation (0:1)
L - a wand of death (0:0)
O - a cursed wand of magic missile (0:7)
Q - a wand of secret door detection (0:6)
R - a cursed wand of sleep (0:4)
S - a cursed wand of teleportation (0:2)
Tools
c - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
e - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
g - a cursed thoroughly corroded skeleton key
i - a cursed sack
l - an uncursed magic lamp
q - an uncursed stethoscope
t - an uncursed towel
w - an uncursed magic whistle
N - a can of grease (0:15)
Gems
X - a blessed luckstone named Mines3 Altar4,11,14,16 Ludios13 Quest14
SinkPool

Contents of the sack:

a wand of wishing (0:3)
6 potions of holy water
4 blessed potions of full healing
a blessed scroll of scare monster
an uncursed -1 pair of levitation boots
an uncursed potion of acid
an uncursed lizard corpse
an uncursed ring of polymorph
a blessed diluted potion of full healing
an uncursed ring of shock resistance
an uncursed +0 pair of jumping boots
an uncursed ring of slow digestion
a wand of wishing (0:0)
a wand of cold (0:0)
an uncursed ring of cold resistance
an uncursed ring of fire resistance

Sacks make you much more disciplined about leaving behind the useless
stuff. BTW, the two wands of wishing were found randomly in the
dungeon. I also found two magic lamps laying around. I didn't even
bother to retrieve the castle wand.

Do you want to see your attributes? [ynq] (n)

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You were warned.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You had teleport control.
You had slower digestion.
You were protected.
You had polymorph control.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
Your life would have been saved.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynq] (n)

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (8 times)
Death (twice)
Pestilence (twice)
9 arch-liches
a high priest
Master Kaen
3 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus
a kraken
10 iron golems
6 master liches
4 storm giants
a titan
9 master mind flayers
255 black puddings
a mind flayer
3308 creatures vanquished.

Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (n)

Voluntary challenges:

You went without food.
You never hit with a wielded weapon.
You were illiterate.
You never genocided any monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You never changed form.
You used no wishes.

Goodbye eit_brad the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 6679264 points,
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 97801 moves.
You were level 22 with a maximum of 1457 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name
Hp [max]
1 24561368 stabwound-Tou-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to
demigoddess-hood.
314 [314]
2 6679264 eit_brad-Mon-Hum-Fem-Cha ascended to
demigoddess-hood.
1457 [1457]
3 5483332 krogoth-Sam-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood.
208 [208]
4 5472278 dogonthetr-Cav-Hum-Mal-Law ascended to demigod-hood.
406 [424]

steveyo

Nov 9, 2005, 3:59:28 PM11/9/05
"Brad Sagarin" wrote:
> Whew! This was one game I was happy to see behind me.
>
> I started with a goal of 10 conducts (foodless, illiterate, weaponless,
> genoless, polyless, polyselfless, wishless)...

> Voluntary challenges:
>
> You went without food.
> You never hit with a wielded weapon.
> You were illiterate.
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

Rightous, dude. 10 conducts is awesome.

--
steveyo

Sebastian Brocks

Nov 9, 2005, 4:50:17 PM11/9/05
steveyo schrieb:

Am I stupid, or are that only 7 conducts?

Michal Brzozowski

Nov 9, 2005, 5:36:14 PM11/9/05

Add artifact-wishless + vegetarian + vegan

Haakon Studebaker

Nov 9, 2005, 7:32:05 PM11/9/05
"Brad Sagarin" <bsag...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in

> I credit cloned to drain the shopkeepers' purses and (carefully) dug
> out vaults to build up some $$$ for donations. Donated to the Minetown
> priest for AC 1.

Credit cloning? For shame. Why can't you just kill your shopkeepers?

Also has the devteam dealt with the credit cloning situation? Just doesn't
seem right like the old lodestone trick.

Haakon Studebaker

Nov 9, 2005, 7:43:07 PM11/9/05
"Michal Brzozowski" <rus...@poczta.fm> wrote in

> Sebastian Brocks wrote:
>> steveyo schrieb:

>> > Rightous, dude. 10 conducts is awesome.

>> Am I stupid, or are that only 7 conducts?
>
> Add artifact-wishless + vegetarian + vegan

You gotta eat something to be vegetarian or vegan IMHO otherwise it's
simply foodless which is a respectable feat unto itself. Artifact wishless
instead of just wishless, again, is just gilding the lily.

I am surprised that a 0:0 WoW was found.

Brad Sagarin

Nov 9, 2005, 8:08:50 PM11/9/05
Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I am surprised that a 0:0 WoW was found.

It was 0:1 when I found it. I engrave tested it and answered "nothing"
when prompted for the wish.

Seraphim

Nov 9, 2005, 8:24:44 PM11/9/05
Haakon Studebaker <hept...@gmail.com> wrote in

What is "the old lodestone trick"?

Haakon Studebaker

Nov 9, 2005, 9:27:47 PM11/9/05
Seraphim <gm...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:Xns9709D07032969gme6cornelledu@
132.236.56.8:

> What is "the old lodestone trick"?

http://tinyurl.com/8gcbq

David Damerell

Nov 10, 2005, 8:35:39 AM11/10/05
Quoting Haakon Studebaker <hept...@gmail.com>:
>Also has the devteam dealt with the credit cloning situation? Just doesn't
>seem right like the old lodestone trick.

Well, the lodestone trick is pretty unequivocally a bug, whereas credit
cloning is working as designed (although there are rumblings about the
design changing.)
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Oneiros, November.

Haakon Studebaker

Nov 10, 2005, 9:12:44 AM11/10/05
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in

> Quoting Haakon Studebaker <hept...@gmail.com>:
>>Also has the devteam dealt with the credit cloning situation? Just
>>doesn't seem right like the old lodestone trick.
>
> Well, the lodestone trick is pretty unequivocally a bug, whereas
> credit cloning is working as designed (although there are rumblings
> about the design changing.)

One might as well say that copying save files works as designed even
though it's against the spirit of the game.

David Damerell

Nov 10, 2005, 9:35:01 AM11/10/05
Quoting Haakon Studebaker <hept...@gmail.com>:
>David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in
>>Well, the lodestone trick is pretty unequivocally a bug, whereas
>>credit cloning is working as designed (although there are rumblings
>>about the design changing.)
>One might as well say that copying save files works as designed even
>though it's against the spirit of the game.

You might, but you'd be talking complete rubbish. The game is not designed
to permit copying savefiles - as is evident from the setup on real
operating systems where it is possible to prevent it. Conversely the facts
that shopkeepers give credit for dropped gold and that pets will steal from
shops have both been true for many years with the implications perfectly
evident.

Message has been deleted

Link

Nov 13, 2005, 7:49:16 PM11/13/05

Brad Sagarin wrote:
> I kicked a sink a few levels above the farm until it produced a black
> pudding, dug some holes, and split the pudding a couple of times. One
> fell down a hole. I walked down a level, split the pudding, and then
> spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to get the puddings to drop
> to the next level. I gave up eventually and continued on. I'm not sure
> why the pudding seemed ready to jump from the first level but not after
> that. Do they learn?

I'm not sure if the following story will be helpful to you... A unicorn
will only walk into a trap, once per trap type. For example, once a
unicorn falls into a pit, you can't make it fall into anymore pits. If
a unicorn falls into a pit, you can still get it to fall into a bear
trap, because bear traps aren't the same trap type as a pit. If a
unicorn falls into a pit, only that specific unicorn will be immune to
pits. You can still get other unicorns to fall into a pit. It is
possible that puddings have the same "once per trap type" rule. It is
also possible that splitting a pudding doesn't reset the "once per trap
type" rule. However, I never tested this with puddings, so I might be
totally wrong.

> On Astral, I took off my gray dragon scales. I don't think Rodney ever
> shows up on Astral (I spent a lot of time there during the 2003
> tournament), so I figured the Eyes were a safe form of magic
> resistance. That made open hand combat more effective. I headed towards
> Death's altar, but it was neutral. I went from hungry to weak, so I
> polyselfed to restore hunger.

Since "deathless" wasn't one of your conducts, would it have been
possible to kill yourself to fix the hunger problem? You had a couple
of life saving amulets, though I'm not sure if a cursed amulet can save
your life.

Brad Sagarin

Nov 13, 2005, 8:13:42 PM11/13/05
Link wrote:

> Brad Sagarin wrote:
> > I'm not sure why the pudding seemed ready to jump from the
> > first level but not after that. Do they learn?
>
> I'm not sure if the following story will be helpful to you... A unicorn
> will only walk into a trap, once per trap type...

Thanks! This certainly describes my experience with the puddings.

> Since "deathless" wasn't one of your conducts, would it have been
> possible to kill yourself to fix the hunger problem? You had a couple
> of life saving amulets, though I'm not sure if a cursed amulet can save
> your life.

Yes, that would have fixed the hunger problem. Cursed "oLS still work.
You just can't remove them.

- Brad