Need comments/advice on my Samurai's current state

BanMido

Nov 16, 2010, 7:11:54 AM11/16/10

My level 15 Samurai has completed the Quest and has reached DL 23,
hasn't reached Medusa yet. His current max HP is 148 and AC is -10.

My Samurai is Expert in both two-weapon and long sword skills and is
dual wielding Excalibur and his original katana.

He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
for protection against grabbing attacks. He also has a +1 T-shirt
which I plan to enchant further once I have some scrolls for that. No
MR yet, and I have been saving the blessed magic lamp I have as a
light source.

Has a blessed BoH, a blessed luckstone, a blessed unicorn horn and a
single, unused magic marker. ?oGenocide is not yet identified so I am
saving the marker for writing some when I have identified them. ?
oCharging has not been identified either.
This game has produced more than sufficient candles, maybe 20 odd
candles, so that is not a problem.

He has intrinsic telepathy and bunch of other intrinsic resistances.
Has a =oTeleport Control, =oConflict and an amulet which is not ESP,
strangulation, change or restful sleep. There are a bunch of
unidentified rings and wands as well.

This is the first time I have completed the quest and reached this far
so I am not sure what tasks should be on my TODO list and what should
be their relative priority.
Should identifying the bunch of unidentified ?,",=,! etc be a high
priority task? Should improving AC and HP be a high priority task?
Should obtaining useful items like boots of speed, gauntlets of power,
source of levitation be a major concern? What should be relative
priority of these tasks?

I am quite confused here, so am requesting more experienced people to
help me set my priorities straight.

--
Regards,
Ban

Doug Freyburger

Nov 16, 2010, 10:10:15 AM11/16/10
BanMido wrote:

> My Samurai is Expert in both two-weapon and long sword skills and is
> dual wielding Excalibur and his original katana.

Now it's time to start practicing with your yumi and arrows that you
picked up along the way. Move it steadily towards expert then bless and
start using your initial supply of ya.

> He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
> for protection against grabbing attacks. He also has a +1 T-shirt
> which I plan to enchant further once I have some scrolls for that. No
> MR yet, and I have been saving the blessed magic lamp I have as a
> light source.

> He has intrinsic telepathy and bunch of other intrinsic resistances.
> Has a =oTeleport Control, =oConflict and an amulet which is not ESP,
> strangulation, change or restful sleep. There are a bunch of
> unidentified rings and wands as well.

The amulet is a good one. You can test versus poison fairly easily.
Put it on and eat a poisonous corpse. You have the means to cure the
damage.

> Should identifying the bunch of unidentified ?,",=,! etc be a high
> priority task? Should improving AC and HP be a high priority task?
> Should obtaining useful items like boots of speed, gauntlets of power,
> source of levitation be a major concern? What should be relative
> priority of these tasks?

You need MR so that's the priority. The rest in your list are worth
doing as you explore looking for a source of MR.

James

Nov 16, 2010, 12:01:04 PM11/16/10
On Nov 16, 3:10 pm, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> BanMido wrote:

[...]

> You need MR so that's the priority. The rest in your list are worth
> doing as you explore looking for a source of MR.

What's the probability of purple Liches at the castle? If his
level enters into it (I seem to recall that it does), he's
only level 15, which means that it may be worth going for it.
The castle wand will give him his MR. (As a Samurai, he's
lawful, so there's a good chance that even if Medusa's level
holds a Titan, it will be peaceful.)

--
James Kanze

TJR

Nov 16, 2010, 2:06:29 PM11/16/10

I never crunched the numbers how likely purple liches are at the
castle, but the best spoiler on this subject is the code itself:
http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Makemon.c#mkclass

In practical terms, you put on your blindfold and then descend the
stairs. That way, telepathy shows you right away if there are such
baddies, and you can safely retreat right away.

You are guaranteed a move before the liches because monsters get
created with 0 movement points, spend one turns replenishing, and get
to move once they reach 12.

Aardvark Joe

Nov 16, 2010, 4:54:47 PM11/16/10
TJR wrote:
> On 16 Nov., 18:01, James <james.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 3:10 pm, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > BanMido wrote:
>>
>>     [...]
>>
>> > You need MR so that's the priority.  The rest in your list are worth
>> > doing as you explore looking for a source of MR.
>>
>> What's the probability of purple Liches at the castle?  If his
>> level enters into it (I seem to recall that it does), he's
>> only level 15, which means that it may be worth going for it.
>> The castle wand will give him his MR.  (As a Samurai, he's
>> lawful, so there's a good chance that even if Medusa's level
>> holds a Titan, it will be peaceful.)
>
> I never crunched the numbers how likely purple liches are at the
> castle, but the best spoiler on this subject is the code itself:
> http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Makemon.c#mkclass

Might be the best spoiler there is, but the mkclass code is
sufficiently convoluted that it's not easy to tell exactly
what factors are important. Since I just recently looked at
the standard random monster generation code, I decided to see
how the mkclass code works.

I just ran the numbers for liches if the castle is at DLVL 27.
My results:

If 1 <= XL <= 6, then no master/arch liches will be generated by mkclass.
If XL == 7, then 3.1% of liches generated by mkclass will be master liches.
If 8 <= XL, then 10.4% of liches generated by mkclass will be master/arch
liches

Typically I would expect few people except those doing DfV or challenge
games to reach the castle before XL 8. The DLVL doesn't turn out to make
much of a difference. So just assume that any lich generated at the castle
has a 10% chance to be a master lich or an arch-lich.

It looks like 70% of the time, there will be 3 random liches in the castle;
the other 30% of the time there will be 2 random liches. That works out to
a roughly 25% chance that there will be one or more purple liches at the
castle. Based on a few attempts in wizard mode, that seems about right.

TJR

Nov 16, 2010, 11:53:01 PM11/16/10

You may want to re-examine your computation. The call to rn2(2) makes
very difficult monsters exponentially improbable, but never
impossible. http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Makemon.c#line1336

Aardvark Joe

Nov 17, 2010, 9:55:07 AM11/17/10

Not quite. The loop while selecting a monster also skews the selection
towards easier monsters when you're low level. That happens on line 1350.
It has the net effect that when the player is low level, high level
monsters can be removed from consideration.

And that's why I said that this function is not always easy to follow.

David Damerell

Nov 17, 2010, 2:05:31 PM11/17/10
Quoting BanMido <smartre...@gmail.com>:
>He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
>for protection against grabbing attacks.

Not worth it if you have a better cloak.

>which I plan to enchant further once I have some scrolls for that. No
>MR yet, and I have been saving the blessed magic lamp I have as a
>light source.

Take the 80% chance of getting the wish; wish for MR (thus also giving you
a better cloak). You are approaching territory where running without MR is
seriously unwise. In particular, your next stop is the Castle, where you
are quite likely to encounter serious liches.

>Has a blessed BoH, a blessed luckstone, a blessed unicorn horn and a
>single, unused magic marker. ?oGenocide is not yet identified so I am
>saving the marker for writing some when I have identified them.

Probably a waste. Once you identify it, you'll have one for your primary
genocide target, L. A second won't do anything as absolutely horrible as
L, and will consume a very large number of marker charges. You get more
bang for your buck spending marker charges on other things.

>He has intrinsic telepathy and bunch of other intrinsic resistances.
>Has a =oTeleport Control, =oConflict and an amulet which is not ESP,
>strangulation, change or restful sleep.

It's easy enough to check for some other types, including magical
breathing.

>There are a bunch of unidentified rings and wands as well.

Relatively few wands do not engrave-ID so I don't understand this. Also
don't forget to sink-ID duplicated rings.

>Should identifying the bunch of unidentified ?,",=,! etc be a high
>priority task?

Sure. Price-ID identify, bless, read. Use your marker charges for more
identifies - they're cheap as dirt to read.

>Should obtaining useful items like boots of speed, gauntlets of power,
>source of levitation be a major concern?

Well, kinda, but they're generated or they're not. If you get MR from the
wish, you can press down to the Castle with some degree of confidence.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Wednesday, November.

Doug Freyburger

Nov 18, 2010, 3:58:32 PM11/18/10
David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting BanMido <smartre...@gmail.com>:
>
>>He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
>>for protection against grabbing attacks.
>
> Not worth it if you have a better cloak.

Worth it on water levels. To me that means it's worth carrying in the
bag or being in the small cache I shuttle down as I explore deeper.

BanMido

Nov 19, 2010, 12:38:52 AM11/19/10
On Nov 19, 1:58 am, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:
> > Quoting  BanMido  <smartrefere...@gmail.com>:
>
> >>He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
> >>for protection against grabbing attacks.
>
> > Not worth it if you have a better cloak.
>
> Worth it on water levels.  To me that means it's worth carrying in the
> bag or being in the small cache I shuttle down as I explore deeper.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I kept the oilskin cloak. I
have a cloak of MR now as my primary cloak.

David Damerell

Nov 19, 2010, 12:03:51 PM11/19/10

Maybe on the Plane of Water. Other than that - just don't stand next to
water if eels are alive.

Sure, it's _nice_. But if I was having carrying capacity issues, it'd be
first to go.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Friday, November.

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 19, 2010, 12:24:28 PM11/19/10
On 19/11/10 18:03, David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfre...@yahoo.com>:
>> David Damerell wrote:
>>> Not worth it if you have a better cloak.
>> Worth it on water levels. To me that means it's worth carrying in the
>> bag or being in the small cache I shuttle down as I explore deeper.
>
> Maybe on the Plane of Water. Other than that - just don't stand next to
> water if eels are alive.

Not even there, as long as you're not playing sloppily. Myself I've
never had worn oilskin and had never problems on the Plane of Water
in 100+ ascensions; and that even when slowed down by being burdened.
Maybe an eel got once a grip, but that is easily deflected by a wand
of teleportation zapped at the creature.

Janis

David Damerell

Nov 19, 2010, 12:26:10 PM11/19/10
Quoting Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com>:
>On 19/11/10 18:03, David Damerell wrote:
>>Maybe on the Plane of Water. Other than that - just don't stand next to
>>water if eels are alive.
>Not even there, as long as you're not playing sloppily. Myself I've
>never had worn oilskin and had never problems on the Plane of Water
>in 100+ ascensions; and that even when slowed down by being burdened.

I don't routinely do it on Water either, but I can see that people might.
One way to not play sloppily, after all, is to use equipment that provides
a 100% protection against some bad thing happening.

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 19, 2010, 12:48:40 PM11/19/10
On 19/11/10 18:26, David Damerell wrote:
> [oilskin on Plane of Water?]

> I don't routinely do it on Water either, but I can see that people might.
> One way to not play sloppily, after all, is to use equipment that provides
> a 100% protection against some bad thing happening.

I guess then it's easier to just genocide sea creatures (and a lot players
obviously do so); which has the additional advantage that successful shock
attacks from electric eels are also prevented.

Janis

lilmouse

Nov 25, 2010, 2:22:37 PM11/25/10
On Nov 17, 2:05 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  BanMido  <smartrefere...@gmail.com>:
>
> >He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
> >for protection against grabbing attacks.
>
> Not worth it if you have a better cloak.

I, too, must disagree - having the oilskin cloak pretty much makes
eels, kracken, etc fairly innocuous. If you're not going to genocide
them, of course! However, a cloak of MR is the easiest way to get MR,
so I'd wear a greased one of those instead.

> >which I plan to enchant further once I have some scrolls for that. No
> >MR yet, and I have been saving the blessed magic lamp I have as a
> >light source.
>
> Take the 80% chance of getting the wish; wish for MR (thus also giving you
> a better cloak). You are approaching territory where running without MR is
> seriously unwise. In particular, your next stop is the Castle, where you
> are quite likely to encounter serious liches.

No one has yet pointed out that Ls respect Elbereth. That can give
you the protection you need to get the castle wand, saving you a
permanent light source, which I know *I* always like, especially when
I can't cast magic mapping.

Good luck :)

--LWM

David Damerell

Nov 26, 2010, 10:30:28 AM11/26/10
Quoting lilmouse <lilmou...@gmail.com>:
>On Nov 17, 2:05=A0pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

>>Quoting =A0BanMido =A0<smartrefere...@gmail.com>:
>>>He is wearing a +4 blessed SDSM for reflection and an oilskin cloak
>>>for protection against grabbing attacks.
>>Not worth it if you have a better cloak.
>I, too, must disagree - having the oilskin cloak pretty much makes
>eels, kracken, etc fairly innocuous.

So does not standing next to the water spaces, a simple procedure that
anyone can follow.

>>Take the 80% chance of getting the wish; wish for MR

>No one has yet pointed out that Ls respect Elbereth.

Because there are plenty of other ways to die without MR.

>That can give you the protection you need to get the castle wand, saving
>you a permanent light source, which I know *I* always like,

I certainly like it. But I'd be hard pressed to argue it is worth going
without MR for the sake of it, especially when discipline with temporary
light sources (including the oil lamp you get for cashing in your magic
lamp) will see you most of the way through the game.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
If we aren't perfectly synchronised this corncob will explode!

BanMido

Nov 29, 2010, 6:07:17 AM11/29/10
On Nov 26, 8:30 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Quoting  lilmouse  <lilmouse1...@gmail.com>:

> >>Not worth it if you have a better cloak.
> >I, too, must disagree - having the oilskin cloak pretty much makes
> >eels, kracken, etc fairly innocuous.
>
> So does not standing next to the water spaces, a simple procedure that
> anyone can follow.
>
> >>Take the 80% chance of getting the wish; wish for MR
> >No one has yet pointed out that Ls respect Elbereth.
>
> Because there are plenty of other ways to die without MR.

I did use that lamp up before entering castle to wish for a cloak of
MR. Two artifacts were generated already viz. Excalibur and
Snickersnee, so I did not go for the magic mirror of Merlin.

> >That can give you the protection you need to get the castle wand, saving
> >you a permanent light source, which I know *I* always like,
>
> I certainly like it. But I'd be hard pressed to argue it is worth going
> without MR for the sake of it, especially when discipline with temporary
> light sources (including the oil lamp you get for cashing in your magic
> lamp) will see you most of the way through the game.

I actually have two oil lamps, couple of potions of oil and a brass
lantern too, so I figured I can manage with those.

BanMido

Nov 29, 2010, 6:09:46 AM11/29/10
On Nov 26, 12:22 am, lilmouse <lilmouse1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2:05 pm, David Damerell <damer...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Quoting  BanMido  <smartrefere...@gmail.com>:
[...]

> No one has yet pointed out that Ls respect Elbereth.  That can give
> you the protection you need to get the castle wand, saving you a
> permanent light source, which I know *I* always like, especially when
> I can't cast magic mapping.

I actually did use up the magic lamp to get cloak of MR. I do not know
if I was paranoid but did not want to take any chances. This is the
first time I have gotten this far, you see.

> Good luck :)

Thanks!