First 3.3.1 ascension

Julie Bernstein

Feb 19, 2001, 11:53:10 PM2/19/01
After giving up trying to be a nice armorless vegetarian Monk I went
back to my favorite class, the Priestess. No more wondering whether
anything was blessed or cursed. It wasn't pretty - I genocided 21
species (RL;nP, mind & master mind flayers), used nine wishes, polypiled
merrily (got 50+ tins of spinach out of it), and used two amulets of
life saving ( 1) green slimed, 2) Pestilence ). I'm sure I could have
prevented turning into a green slime but I had no idea how (unicorn
horn/lizard corpse didn't work, not that I expected them to), and wanted
to finish the new version without being "spoiled" so I just let it
happen, got another AoLS, and genocided P to prevent its reoccurence.
The Astral Plane death could probably have been avoided by praying, I
later realized, but I forgot that prayer was safe again once out of
Gehennom.

I had no patience for the Wiz; killed him by hand once or twice, used a
wand of death the other 10 times. Dispater was the hardest, because he
kept teleporting from one staircase to the other; I couldn't keep up.
Finally stoned him with a cockatrice. Juiblex was the easiest; killed
him before he even had a chance to swallow me (+6 Excalibur, 20 strength
& dexterity).

Scariest moment was when a captain with a bullwhip snagged Excalibur on
the Juiblex level and then escaped with a wand of digging. I was
terrified that it had landed in the water below me (I was levitating)
and tried to get it out by zapping a wand of teleportation straight down
and looking all over the level. Finally I realized that the message had
said that he snatched it, not that it had fallen, so I chased him all
over Gehennom (he stealing Grayswandir also in the meanwhile) until I
finally killed him and retrieved my weapons. Good thing he
didn't/couldn't use them against me.

So Tara the lawful human priestess ended up with 6,305,544 points, my
highest score ever (closest in previous version was 5.8 million with a
Barbarian). It was fun but it is good to get back to Real Life again...

- Julie

--
Julie Bernstein | ju...@enyadatta.NOSPAM.com | http://www.enyadatta.com/

Remove NOSPAM from address to e-mail me.

DeborahRG

Feb 20, 2001, 7:46:32 PM2/20/01
Congratulations to Julie Bernstein on the ascension of her P:

>After giving up trying to be a nice armorless vegetarian Monk I went
>back to my favorite class, the Priestess. No more wondering whether
>anything was blessed or cursed. It wasn't pretty - I genocided 21
>species (RL;nP, mind & master mind flayers), used nine wishes, polypiled
>merrily (got 50+ tins of spinach out of it), and used two amulets of
>life saving ( 1) green slimed, 2) Pestilence ). I'm sure I could have
>prevented turning into a green slime but I had no idea how (unicorn
>horn/lizard corpse didn't work, not that I expected them to),

I am not sure that I should spoil you now.... There is a way, assuming you
cannot kill the slime before you start turning (although I have luckily never
needed to use it)[1]

<snipped>

>The Astral Plane death could probably have been avoided by praying, I
>later realized, but I forgot that prayer was safe again once out of
>Gehennom.

Somehow, I always forget this too! Pestilence has proved my most difficult
adversary so far, and I have not yet upgraded to 3.3.1, where I understand he
is even tougher!

>I had no patience for the Wiz; killed him by hand once or twice, used a
>wand of death the other 10 times. Dispater was the hardest, because he
>kept teleporting from one staircase to the other; I couldn't keep up.
>Finally stoned him with a cockatrice. Juiblex was the easiest; killed
>him before he even had a chance to swallow me (+6 Excalibur, 20 strength
>& dexterity).

I generally have no patience with the RodneY either. Killing him 10 times or
so is not all that many, so you were probably fairly efficient in getting to
the planes with the AoY. I have never seen Dispater, or Demogorgon, even
though I have played NH for several years. I am sure it is not an exeperience
that I will escape forever.

>Scariest moment was when a captain with a bullwhip snagged Excalibur on
>the Juiblex level and then escaped with a wand of digging. I was
>terrified that it had landed in the water below me (I was levitating)
>and tried to get it out by zapping a wand of teleportation straight down
>and looking all over the level. Finally I realized that the message had
>said that he snatched it, not that it had fallen, so I chased him all
>over Gehennom (he stealing Grayswandir also in the meanwhile) until I
>finally killed him and retrieved my weapons. Good thing he
>didn't/couldn't use them against me.

That would have been tough! Good show locating him and retrieving your
weapons.

>So Tara the lawful human priestess ended up with 6,305,544 points, my
>highest score ever (closest in previous version was 5.8 million with a
>Barbarian). It was fun but it is good to get back to Real Life again...
>

>- Julie

Well done! Congratulations again!

Deborah

[1] Spoiler on sliming

Self immolation will end the sliming process, IIRC. Of course, you need to
have fire resistance and be sure that you will not lose all your armour and
inventory in the process. Zap yourself with a / o fire or read a ? of fire.
That should work.

Jussi Ekholm

Feb 21, 2001, 12:23:16 AM2/21/01
Julie Bernstein wrote:

> After giving up trying to be a nice armorless vegetarian Monk I went
> back to my favorite class, the Priestess.

Priests are fun to play, indeed. The ability to know b/u/c is
something way cool. Altough, I try to keep pretty long intervals
between playing priests and something else, because getting too
used to that ability is a Bad Thing; I didn't play anything but
priests for three months ages ago. :-/

> The Astral Plane death could probably have been avoided by praying, I
> later realized, but I forgot that prayer was safe again once out of
> Gehennom.

Yeah, that's pretty usual; now that I remember things, I believe,
that I've never prayed in Planes, just because I've forgot, that
I'm able to pray again. Ah well, have to keep that in mind the
next time (I have a samurai sleeping at Rodney's tower, altough
it is in Windows hard disk, and now I'm operating from Linux system,
so I guess he's going to sleep a long time :-) I am able to make
my way to the Endgame.

> I had no patience for the Wiz; killed him by hand once or twice, used a
> wand of death the other 10 times.

I think I haven't killed Rodney by hand ever. Or... maybe once
with my current Samurai, as I was checking out, how well Tsurugi
can handle the feeble wizard. :-)

> Dispater was the hardest

Haven't met Dispater, ever. Neither Demogorgon, I think - and I'm
very glad about that, as I've read horrifying stories about deaths
caused by Demogorgon. Especially Raisse's experiences give me the
creeps. :-)

> Juiblex was the easiest; killed him before he even had a chance to
> swallow me (+6 Excalibur, 20 strength & dexterity).

Yeah, Juiblex is a wuss. Usually it is able to swallow me, but
only once and then there is no more Juiblex. Blessed unicorn
horn has taken care of the illness every time.

> So Tara the lawful human priestess ended up with 6,305,544 points, my
> highest score ever (closest in previous version was 5.8 million with a
> Barbarian).

Congratulations!

> It was fun but it is good to get back to Real Life again...

Heh, for me it's usually day or two. :-) Altough, I haven't
touched Nethack for a long time. Altough, I have an elven wizard
saved here in this Linux system, who already has ?oGenocide,
two ?oRemove Curses, Hawaiian Shirt and Speed Boots (armor stolen
from the shop by my trustworthy pet Pico). He also has polished
silver shield (which is always Shield of Reflection, isn't it?),
but it's not much use for him yet, because he still sometimes has
to rely on his quarterstaff. Maybe I'll continue that soon, altough
it annoys me, that all dark gray stuff, like orcish armor or weapons,
show as deep blue. Grr. I hope to get it fixed somehow.

--
Jussi Ekholm, "Everything is so fine it could be
the ill flower don't let your mind take you in misery