YAAP - Schopenhauer-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha polyselfless, polyless

Patric Mueller

Jun 23, 2004, 6:19:05 AM6/23/04

This is my second ascension, the first was back in November with a
Valkyrie.

Starting equipment
==================

I started the game with a spellbook of detect food, a ring of
regeneration and a wand of magic missile. Not the best things I could
get I thought at first. The ring was indeed crucial for my survival, I
didn't take it off upto the Castle after which I had a decent AC.

Schopenhau the Evoker St:13 Dx:12 Co:14 In:20 Wi:10 Ch:9 Chaotic
Dlvl:1 $:0 HP:11(11) Pw:7(7) AC:9 Xp:1/0 T:1

Sokoban and Gnomish Mines
=========================

I got lucky in the beginning as there was a general store on dlvl 2
where I bought a skeleton key, a magic whistle and two magic
marker. The marker were spared until I know what spellbooks I was
missing. The statues on the Oracle level didn't have any spellbooks. I
did Sokoban without any problem and got a bag of holding.

The RNG was teasing me as I found a spellbooks of magic missile on
dlvl6 lying around and a throne on dlvl 8 which granted me a wish. So
I got a +2 SDSM which I was wearing until the end.

Minetown had a co-aligned altar, but without any scrolls or wands of
create monster I couldn't take advantage of it.

The wine cellar was interesting. I found a blindfold (I had telepathy
since dlvl 4) and a polymorph trap. Kelly II got beefed up into a
silver dragon. I accidently picked up a loadstone although I didn't
know there is one where one finds the luckstone. Was it randomly
generated or are my spoilers outdated?

Fort Ludios and Quest
=====================

On dlvl 12, the same level with the portal to the Quest, I've eaten
quantum mechanic which gave me speed. I think this is the longest time
I've ever been without speed. Usually I would have found long ago
speed boots or a wand of speed monster. A little while later Anhur
gave me MagicBane which increased my survival possibility
enormously. Now I had a reliable and fast way to engrave Elbereth to
keep monsters separated in different rooms. Call them private zoos if
you like.

At about T:30000 I've entered Fort Ludios. As usual it was lots of
whacking without any great danger. Croesus was killed by several magic
missiles and left me his accumulated wealth of 46k zorkmids. I've
found some good armor to improve my AC: a blessed +2 pair of leather
gloves, a uncursed +3 helmet and a blessed +3 small shield. After
Ludios my AC was -35 (including protection points).

The throne was very generous. It let me genocide arch-liches,
identified my complete inventory and reduced my charisma to 4. Up
until this moment I was thinking about a genocideless ascension, but
when offered this opportunity I couldn't resist.

Then I had to gain experience to be allowed to the Quest. I killed
Medusa and ventured deeper until I got exp lvl 14 and quickly
completed the Quest.

The Castle
==========
The armor room had a helm of telepathy and of opposite alignment which
cost me my protection points. I learn something new every game. The
dragons (three green ones and a black one didn't interest me, I
already had my SDSM. The wand of wishing at the Castle was (0:1). I
wished for two scrolls of charging, got em and then wished for +2
blessed boots of speed, got em, too. The throne on the other hand
vanished immediately without any effect.

At T:49000 I wrote a spellbook of create monster and got into a
sacrifice frenzy that lasted almost 9000 turns. I got several
protection points, several artifacts and almost every spellbook I
wanted.

Gehennom
========
Then I considered myself to be ready to go to hell. The named demons
(Juiblex, Baalzebub, Ascension, Vlad, Orcus) were no
problem. Baalzebub was kind of annoying. He escaped with a scrolls of
teleportation. I had to track him down on dlvl 12 to kill him.

Although I recently had an unfortunate incident with an cockatrice
corpse, I couldn't resist to use a cockatrice that Orcus summoned to
kill him. I don't know if he appreciated the irony but I did.

Compared to my first ascension Gehennom wasn't as boring this time. I
could walk through quickly thanks to my knowledge of the spell of
magic mapping and a lot of potions of object detection.

On dlvl 48 I found the vibrating square and made my final preparations
for the Ascension run. I made a stupid mistake as I sacrificed a
former pet. All protection points gone again and my AC at -25. I got
me a stronger pet, let it kill the priest in mine town and took the
money (ca 110k) to the only other priest I've found so far. Then I
continued my preparations.

At 70820: I was ready.

Schopenhau the Sorcerer St:18 Dx:22 Co:16 In:20 Wi:19 Ch:14 Chaotic
Dlvl:42 $:0 HP:300(300) Pw:285(295) AC:-34 Exp:21 T:70820 Satiated

Ascension run
=============
In the Wizard's tower, I found a ring of conflict that I only used on
the Plane of Earth and the Wizard's zoo.

At T:71090 I nearly died a stupid death. I choked over a killer bee
corpse, but luckily I was wearing one of three amulet of life
saving. That'll teach me to check if I'm satiated or not.

The finger of death took care of Rodney. At the three occasions we
met, he never had a chance. Every time my finger of death worked. At
T:73477 I took the Amulet of Yendor into my possession.

On my way up, the mysterious force kicked in annoyingly often. He took
me back to seven times to the level I was trying to leave and five
times to the level below.

The Planes
==========
At T:75303 I left the Dungeons of Doom. The Plane of Earth was a
little tedious. I thought I need cursed scrolls of gold detection to
find the portal. So I thought I hadn't any means to find the portal
and had to dig the level out completely.

But I consulted my spoilers and learned that uncursed scrolls and
being confused also works. I already had two scrolls and the other two
were quickly written and then Earth was left in no time.

Air was easy, only the Air Elements gave me a little bit of a hard
time. As I was near the portal an Archon wielding Sunsword
appeared. He was beating me heavily and followed me to the Plane of
Fire. He summoned several monsters among them a master mind flayer
which ate a part of my brain. I had to quaff two potions of full
healing before realizing that blinding myself protected me from the
stunning radiance of the Archon. Then it was much easier to kill him.

Astral Plane
============
At T:76227 I arrived on the astral plane. Quickly applying my
blindfold showed Death on the left, Pestilence at room in the middle
and Famine on the right. After putting on my ring of regeneration and
slow digestion I try the left one.

In my first ascension twoweaponing a +6 Demonbane and a +6 silver
saber I hit the riders so hard that they almost didn't touch me at
all. This time wielding "only" a +7 Frost Brand Death brought my
max HP from 303 down to 266. Extensively casting charm monster made it
a little bit easier, but the power drain from the Amulet of Yendor
worried me a litte bit. The first time my Valkyrie never came in any
bad situation and it was pretty clear that she would ascend. This time
on the Astral Plane was much more exciting. Until I stood on the right
altar I wasn't sure I would make it.

Great. The temple was Thoth's. I had a helm of opposite alignment but
that couldn't make me neutral. So I rested, restored my low power and
considered my options. With telepathy I saw too many liches around so
I bless genocided L. Then I stood beside the door and let them coming,
taking one priest at time. As Death appears I again I kill him with
several blows and make a dash to the middle room.

Pestilence was annoying but no real threat. I had to kill him twice
and the rest of the time my pets kept him away from me.

I entered the temple, closed the door, stood on the altar and it was
the right one. I double checked that I have the right amulet, summoned
as many pets as I could with my magic whistle, lit the Candelabrum and
offered the Amulet to Anhur...--More--

An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...--More--
The voice of Anhur thunders: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"--More--
You ascend to the status of Demigod...--More--

Lessons learned
===============

1. Having the spell of remove curse and confused reading of scrolls of
remove curse is an easy way to bless your inventory if you're short
of (un)holy water.
2. Using Elbereth to confine monsters to certain rooms is nice.
3. If you have a cool pet (master lich), you can you can lose it if it
grows in experience (arch liches genocided)

Conclusion
==========

Playing as a wizard is a completely different experience than playing
a wizard. It took quite a time to get used to the differences in these
two classes but I had to do almost as many Wizards as I had to do
Valkyries to ascend. It took 70 Valkyries and 77 Wizards before I
could ascend. I think I'll try next a pacificist or a Tourist.

Dump
====

started: 14 Jun 2004 17:13
ended: 22 Jun 2004 19:10

Schopenhauer, chaotic male elven Wizard

A @ H H
@ --------- U
a |...a...|a
----- aV|.aaaY..|
...| A |..a@aaa|
---------..-- ------- |..aa@..|
|.......|...-- --...... | |...xa..| A|
|....)%%|...$---....... |. ----+---- .|
|..._..$%.....-........ |..A...a...@..|
---------..-- ----.-- @)@ --
...| |...------- a))% -
----- |.....)..%| $
-------...--
|....-- )
---..)----|-
.$.. %
---------

Schopenhau the Necromancer St:18 Dx:22 Co:16 In:20 Wi:19 Ch:14 Chaotic
Astral Plane $:2 HP:282(282) Pw:169(320) AC:-39 Exp:22 T:76475 Satiated Burdened

Your inventory
Amulets
g - the uncursed Eye of the Aethiopica
V - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
Weapons
h - the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (alternate weapon; not wielded)
n - the blessed rustproof +7 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
Armor
c - a blessed fireproof +5 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
o - a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
s - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
A - a blessed +4 helm of telepathy (being worn)
D - a blessed fireproof +5 T-shirt named Thoth and Ptah suck! (being worn)
U - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
Spellbooks
u - the uncursed Book of the Dead
Rings
d - a blessed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
r - a blessed ring of levitation
F - a blessed ring of free action // never worn
G - a blessed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
P - a blessed ring of conflict
Tools
q - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
t - a blessed magic whistle
w - a blessed bag of holding
x - a blessed blindfold
y - a blessed rusty skeleton key
N - the blessed Bell of Opening (0:2)
R - the blessed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles, lit)
X - a blessed oilskin sack named Souvenirs
Gems
v - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:
Amulets
a blessed amulet of ESP // backup in case the Eye got stolen
a blessed amulet of life saving

Armor
a blessed +0 cloak of displacement
an uncursed -1 helm of opposite alignment

Comestibles // didn't need them at all, didn't meet Famine
2 uncursed lizard corpses
2 blessed lembas wafers
4 uncursed K-rations named Konserven
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kuchen
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schokolade
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Torte
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schinken
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Salami
4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kekse

Scrolls
a blessed scroll of genocide
a blessed scroll of fire
an uncursed scroll of fire
a blessed scroll of enchant weapon
an uncursed scroll of enchant weapon
a blessed scroll of scare monster
an uncursed scroll of scare monster
a blessed scroll of charging
an uncursed scroll of stinking cloud
5 uncursed scrolls of remove curse
2 uncursed scrolls of taming
6 uncursed scrolls of magic mapping
a blessed scroll of blank paper
4 cursed scrolls of blank paper
14 uncursed scrolls of blank paper

Spellbooks
an uncursed spellbook of magic missile
a blessed spellbook of charm monster
a blessed spellbook of magic mapping
a blessed spellbook of finger of death

Potions
2 potions of holy water named Fanta
3 potions of holy water named Rivella
2 potions of holy water named Sprite
2 potions of holy water named Cola
3 potions of holy water named Pepsi
8 blessed potions of full healing
9 uncursed potions of extra healing
an uncursed potion of object detection

Rings
a blessed +2 ring of protection
an uncursed +4 ring of increase damage

Wands
a wand of wishing (1:0)
a wand of magic missile (0:6)
a wand of magic missile (0:6)
a wand of death (0:4)
a wand of death (0:5)
a blessed wand of enlightenment (0:11)

Tools
a +0 pick-axe // backup for planes of Earth, forgot to drop it
a magic marker (0:17)
a blessed magic marker (1:3)
a blessed magic marker (1:50)
a blessed +0 unicorn horn
a blessed +0 unicorn horn
6 blessed wax candles
6 blessed tallow candles
an uncursed wax candle

Contents of the oilskin sack named Souvenirs:
a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor

Artifacts
the rustproof +0 Fire Brand
the blessed rustproof +1 Demonbane
the fireproof +0 Sting
the blessed rustproof +0 Sunsword
the rustproof +0 Trollsbane

The Nazgul rings
a cursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility
a cursed ring of invisibility

Gems
an uncursed flint stone
// snipped them, they appear below in the score list

Final attributes
You were the Glory of Arioch
You were piously aligned
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were disintegration-resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were warned
You had infravision
You were invisible to others
You were stealthy
You aggravated monsters
You could teleport
You had teleport control
You had slower digestion
You regenerated
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
Your life would have been saved
You were extremely lucky (13)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived after being killed once

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - force bolt 1 attack 0%
b - magic missile 2 attack 0%
c - sleep 1 enchantment 0%
d - light 1 divination 0%
e - healing 1* healing 0%
f - dig 5 matter 90%
g - identify 3 divination 0%
h - levitation 4 escape 69%
i - detect monsters 1 divination 0%
j - charm monster 3 enchantment 0%
k - cure sickness 3 healing 0%
l - magic mapping 5 divination 0%
m - finger of death 7 attack 0%
n - clairvoyance 3 divination 0%
o - confuse monster 2 enchantment 0%
p - cone of cold 4 attack 0%
q - extra healing 3 healing 0%
r - create monster 2 clerical 0%
s - remove curse 3 clerical 0%
t - fireball 4 attack 0%
u - wizard lock 2 matter 0%
v - cure blindness 2 healing 0%
w - slow monster 2 enchantment 0%
x - cancellation 7 matter 100%
y - detect food 2 divination 0%
z - detect unseen 3* divination 0%
A - turn undead 6* clerical 0%
B - restore ability 4 healing 69%
C - knock 1 matter 0%
D - haste self 3* escape 0%
E - jumping 1* escape 0%
F - teleport away 6* escape 100%
G - drain life 2* attack 0%
H - cause fear 3 enchantment 0%
I - polymorph 6* matter 100%
J - create familiar 6 clerical 0%
K - protection 1 clerical 0%
L - invisibility 4 escape 69%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus // he's such a wimp, I'll have to take on Demorgon sometime.
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (thrice)
Death (twice)
Pestilence (twice)
an arch-lich (0 created)
a high priest (4 created)
2 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus
2 krakens (17 created)
an Archon (3 created) // nearly killed me with Sunsword
4 master liches
2 storm giants (6 created)
a titan (2 created)
2 glass golems (3 created)
3 balrogs
5 purple worms (8 created)
3 gray dragons (6 created)
3 silver dragons
3 red dragons (13 created)
2 white dragons (5 created)
5 black dragons (7 created)
7 green dragons (9 created)
17 minotaurs (25 created)
3 jabberwocks (7 created)
The Dark One
15 baluchitheria (21 created)
7 Angels (26 created)
3 demiliches (4 created)
Vlad the Impaler
16 stone golems (17 created)
2 master mind flayers (5 created)
22 Olog-hai (13 created)
5 Nazguls (6 created) // didn't saw Nr.6
12 mind flayers (14 created)
3 erinyes // got 'em all!
40 cockatrices (49 created)
36 chickatrices (43 created)
10 white unicorns
10 gray unicorns
2 black unicorns (7 created)
2 red naga hatchlings
3 black naga hatchlings
a golden naga hatchling
a guardian naga hatchling // lowest single kill
17 gray oozes (20 created)
35 floating eyes (42 created)
127 killer bees (132 created) // most whacked
15 newts (19 created)
4566 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
4 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 4 types of monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used 5 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
(none)
Weapon Skills
dagger [Expert]
long sword [Basic]
quarterstaff [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Expert]
divination spells [Expert]
enchantment spells [Skilled]
clerical spells [Skilled]

Goodbye Schopenhauer the Demigod...
You and the giant beetle and the giant ant and the giant ant and the giant beetle and the giant ant and the giant beetle and the owlbear
went to your reward with 5362554 points,
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Sting (worth 800 zorkmids and 2000 points)
Fire Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Sunsword (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Trollsbane (worth 200 zorkmids and 500 points)
16 fluorite stones (worth 6400 zorkmids),
12 amethyst stones (worth 7200 zorkmids),
9 opals (worth 7200 zorkmids),
9 garnet stones (worth 6300 zorkmids),
8 diamonds (worth 32000 zorkmids),
8 emeralds (worth 20000 zorkmids),
7 rubies (worth 24500 zorkmids),
6 jacinth stones (worth 19500 zorkmids),
5 black opals (worth 12500 zorkmids),
5 topaz stones (worth 4500 zorkmids),
5 jade stones (worth 1500 zorkmids),
3 aquamarine stones (worth 4500 zorkmids),
3 jasper stones (worth 1500 zorkmids),
2 turquoise stones (worth 4000 zorkmids),
2 amber stones (worth 2000 zorkmids),
2 jet stones (worth 1700 zorkmids),
2 chrysoberyl stones (worth 1400 zorkmids),
2 agate stones (worth 400 zorkmids),
1 dilithium crystal (worth 4500 zorkmids),
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor (worth 0 zorkmids),
and 2 pieces of gold, after 76475 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 22 with a maximum of 282 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 6632838 Wittgenste-Val-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to
demigoddess-hood. 314 [356]
* 2 5362554 Schopenhau-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod-hood. 282 [282]
3 1461111 Sloterdijk-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha turned to stone in
Gehennom on level 40 [max 41]. Petrified by a
cockatrice corpse {59669}. 205 [205]
4 421869 Cicero-Val-Hum-Fem-Law turned to stone in The
Dungeons of Doom on level 5 [max 22]. Petrified by a
cockatrice. 144 [144]
5 337593 Sloterdijk-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha died in Fort Ludios
[max 23]. Killed by Croesus {36555}. - [121]

Zwanth

Jun 23, 2004, 12:53:54 PM6/23/04
Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<lzpt7q4...@bhaak.xodox.com>...

> This is my second ascension, the first was back in November with a
> Valkyrie.
>
> Starting equipment
> ==================
>
> I started the game with a spellbook of detect food, a ring of
> regeneration and a wand of magic missile. Not the best things I could
> get I thought at first. The ring was indeed crucial for my survival, I
> didn't take it off upto the Castle after which I had a decent AC.

The ring of regeneration adds a lot to one's hunger. Did you have
problems getting enough food? I would have waited to keep it on until
I had Sokoban's food, at least.

> Then I considered myself to be ready to go to hell. The named demons
> (Juiblex, Baalzebub, Ascension, Vlad, Orcus) were no
> problem. Baalzebub was kind of annoying. He escaped with a scrolls of
> teleportation. I had to track him down on dlvl 12 to kill him.

Asmodeus, you mean.

> Air was easy, only the Air Elements gave me a little bit of a hard
> time. As I was near the portal an Archon wielding Sunsword
> appeared. He was beating me heavily and followed me to the Plane of
> Fire. He summoned several monsters among them a master mind flayer
> which ate a part of my brain. I had to quaff two potions of full
> healing before realizing that blinding myself protected me from the
> stunning radiance of the Archon. Then it was much easier to kill him.

Archons are dangerous, especially when you're on a weak melee class
such as a wizard. Good job on making it past safely.

> Conclusion
> ==========
>
> Playing as a wizard is a completely different experience than playing
> a wizard. It took quite a time to get used to the differences in these
> two classes but I had to do almost as many Wizards as I had to do
> Valkyries to ascend. It took 70 Valkyries and 77 Wizards before I
> could ascend. I think I'll try next a pacificist or a Tourist.

I'd hold off on a pacifist... Try a Tourist or a Rogue.

Patric Mueller

Jun 24, 2004, 6:13:03 AM6/24/04
zwa...@sunflower.com (Zwanth) wrote:

> The ring of regeneration adds a lot to one's hunger. Did you have
> problems getting enough food? I would have waited to keep it on until
> I had Sokoban's food, at least.

I remember praying once or twice for food before I found Sokoban. Its
entrance was already on dlvl 6. I also usually enter the mines and
stand on the stairs for a quick retreat. Gnomes are a quick kill with
force bolt and get a quite a few exp points. So finding food wasn't a
problem.

Bye
Patric

Ohle Claussen

Jun 24, 2004, 4:45:51 PM6/24/04
On Mit, 23 Jun 2004 at 10:19 GMT, Patric Mueller wrote:

> This is my second ascension, the first was back in November with a
> Valkyrie.

Congratulations on that! I'm still struggeling with wizards a lot.

> 4 uncursed K-rations named Konserven
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kuchen
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schokolade
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Torte
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schinken
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Salami
> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kekse
>

> 2 potions of holy water named Fanta
> 3 potions of holy water named Rivella
> 2 potions of holy water named Sprite
> 2 potions of holy water named Cola
> 3 potions of holy water named Pepsi

Any particular reason for these individual names? Just for fun?

greetings,
Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

Patric Mueller

Jun 24, 2004, 7:58:17 PM6/24/04
Ohle Claussen <jann.ohle...@stud.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> On Mit, 23 Jun 2004 at 10:19 GMT, Patric Mueller wrote:
>
>> 4 uncursed K-rations named Konserven
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kuchen
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schokolade
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Torte
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Schinken
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Salami
>> 4 blessed lumps of royal jelly named Kekse

> Any particular reason for these individual names? Just for fun?

As I was naming them I wasn't aware of a particular reason.

But now that you're asking, I'm on a diet ...

>> 2 potions of holy water named Fanta
>> 3 potions of holy water named Rivella
>> 2 potions of holy water named Sprite
>> 2 potions of holy water named Cola
>> 3 potions of holy water named Pepsi

... and have been drinking mainly mineral water at the time of
playing.

It seems my subconscious didn't want my alter ego to suffer as bad as
I was suffering.

Bye
Patric